LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: LGP Science Thread

Post by columbia »

DocEmrick wrote:While I understand the search for extraterrestrial life is a delicate and tough one...

I also understand the need to understand what's around us, before we go off on crazy tangents...

That being said...

It's so funny everyone's still concerned with the Goldilocks zone, when it's been shown that life can adapt to some of the most harshest conditions, and it's a certainty that non-carbon based lifeforms who do not require water are certainly "out there."
Typical limited thinking from a sub-optimal, carbon entity.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

New data said to narrow hunt for 'God' particle
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... 6b7ac7617c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by guiner »

columbia wrote:New data said to narrow hunt for 'God' particle
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... 6b7ac7617c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Apparently they don't understand Post-Normal Science. They need to torture the data to fit the agenda, not actually hope to find supporting data... such amateurs :pop:
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

guiner wrote:
columbia wrote:New data said to narrow hunt for 'God' particle
Apparently they don't understand Post-Normal Science. They need to torture the data to fit the agenda, not actually hope to find supporting data... such amateurs :pop:
So true, it's likely the Higgs-Boson does not exist. Alas, if you need funding...keep finding "stuff." Or just hold back everything you've found until now, then slowly start the trickle of information to gain funds.
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by roland »

Galaxy Hosts 100 Billion Planets, in New Estimate

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... TopStories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Astronomers said Wednesday that each of the 100 billion stars in the Milky Way probably has at least one companion planet, on average, adding credence to the notion that planets are as common in the cosmos as grains of sand on the beach.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

So humangous beeg...

roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by roland »

MRandall25 wrote:So humangous beeg...

haha. I felt the same way as Bryz when I first heard about the Hubble Deep Field. If our galaxy (Milky Way) has a billion planets, and the Hubble Deep Field captured at least 3000 galaxies in a tiny section of the sky, then the amount of planets out there is mind boggling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Deep_Field" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

[youtube][/youtube]
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/17/da ... sils-found" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
British scientists have discovered a "treasure trove" of lost fossils, some collected by Charles Darwin more than 150 years ago.

The fossils were found quite by chance, the Royal Holloway University of London said in a news release Tuesday. They were in a dusty old cabinet at the British Geological Survey, labelled "unregistered fossil plants."

"I can't resist a mystery, so I pulled one open," Dr. Howard Falcon-Lang said. "What I found inside made my jaw drop."

The collection consists of hundreds of "beautiful glass slides" made by polishing fossilized plants into thin translucent sheets so they can be examined under a microscope.

"Almost the first slide I picked up was labelled 'C. Darwin Esq,'" Falcon-Lang said. It turned out to be a piece of fossil wood collected by the famed naturalist during his 1834 voyage — the expedition that led him to formulate his theory of evolution.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Someone read the Cracked article today :wink:
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Cool idea, but you cannot compress liquids. How much oxygen is in one of those tanks of liquid?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

viva la ben wrote:Cool idea, but you cannot compress liquids. How much oxygen is in one of those tanks of liquid?
i beg to differ...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

viva la ben wrote:Cool idea, but you cannot compress liquids. How much oxygen is in one of those tanks of liquid?
a lot.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

count2infinity wrote:
i beg to differ...
and this.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

I'm taking about practicality c2i, in that there would be little gain , plus you'd probably instantly freeze your throat and lungs
Last edited by viva la ben on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I thought hydraulic theory is based on liquids not being able to be compressed. I really know nothing on the subject outside of brakes on a vehicle so please enlighten me.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Do Invisible Galaxies Swirl Around the Milky Way?
According to cosmological theory, says MIT astrophysicist Simona Vegetti, "there should be thousands of dwarf galaxies in the Local Group." That's because the earliest days of the cosmos were not a tidy time, and after the big galaxies came into being, a lot of debris ought to have been left behind — "debris," in this case, meaning little galaxies made partly of what's known as cold dark matter. The fact that we don't see the galaxies, she says, is due to one of three things: Either they're simply too faint to detect, or there's something unusual about the local cosmic neighborhood that would explain why it departs from the larger rule. Or — and this is the troubling alternative — maybe the theory itself, which has been generally accepted for the past 30 years or so, is fundamentally wrong in some way.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article ... 40,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

viva la ben wrote:I'm taking about practicality c2i, in that there would be little gain , plus you'd probably instantly freeze your throat and lungs
The liquid probably has a very high heat capacity. Meaning it will probably stay above water temperature for an extended period of time.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Well a typical scuba tank carries 80 cubic feet of oxygen in a small 2-3 cubic feet of space.

How much space do you conserve by compressing liquid? It's negligible.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

okay, i actually read the article and have a better idea of how this works now. the oxygen itself is not liquid, it's dissolved, so it's not super cold and wouldn't freeze your throat or lungs. It's similar to how fish breath oxygen out of the water. They're not taking in liquid oxygen, just dissolved oxygen. The problem is humans/mammals do not have the ability to get enough oxygen out of the water to survive by breathing it in. Apparently they can from these PFCs. It's a neat idea, but my only question is how do you get the PFC out after you're done swimming?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

count2infinity wrote:okay, i actually read the article and have a better idea of how this works now. the oxygen itself is not liquid, it's dissolved, so it's not super cold and wouldn't freeze your throat or lungs. It's similar to how fish breath oxygen out of the water. They're not taking in liquid oxygen, just dissolved oxygen. The problem is humans/mammals do not have the ability to get enough oxygen out of the water to survive by breathing it in. Apparently they can from these PFCs. It's a neat idea, but my only question is how
do you get the PFC out after you're done swimming?
This is what confused me most.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Antarctic drillers about to reach Lake Vostok:

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsid ... tml?ref=ra
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by guiner »

Rylan wrote:
count2infinity wrote:okay, i actually read the article and have a better idea of how this works now. the oxygen itself is not liquid, it's dissolved, so it's not super cold and wouldn't freeze your throat or lungs. It's similar to how fish breath oxygen out of the water. They're not taking in liquid oxygen, just dissolved oxygen. The problem is humans/mammals do not have the ability to get enough oxygen out of the water to survive by breathing it in. Apparently they can from these PFCs. It's a neat idea, but my only question is how
do you get the PFC out after you're done swimming?
This is what confused me most.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

lol...i'd assume they would have a more sophisticated way to do it than that...