Sheriff Shanny

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Sheriff Shanny

Post by Pitt87 »

penmyst wrote:
Pitt87 wrote: I'm starting to not like this NHL Shanny has produced.
Let's be fair to Shanahan. He hasn't created this.

As for being the guy in charge of cleaning it up; there, he is failing miserably.
You're right... it wasn't really Campbell's fault either, since Brian Burke mucked it up before him, too... :roll:

Bottom line is that he is the one person that has control, solely, over how player actions are policed and penalized. When he fails miserably and the game becomes less safe, its his fault, not his predecessor.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

5 games for Marchand.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Staggy wrote:5 games for Marchand.
Idiot. Prime candidate for next Matt Cooke.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

PghSkins wrote:
Staggy wrote:5 games for Marchand.
Idiot. Prime candidate for next Matt Cooke.
Very deserved plus Salo has a concussion. His next one may be a Cooke length suspension, and he will get another one.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

But he only gave him 5 because "it was a different kind of play".

Are you **** serious?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

MRandall25 wrote:But he only gave him 5 because "it was a different kind of play".

Are you **** serious?
I'm fine with 5 games. I actually didn't think it really needed to get hit with much of a suspension at all given that the correct call was made. However, if that's part of the reasoning, I think we are seeing that even players who were respectable players don't make good judges for this stuff. I get the feeling that Shannahan just plain and simple isn't the brightest bulb. That explanation kind of backs that notion up.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Penspal wrote:Great post bhaw. I know walls of text scare off a lot of people, but to get a point across, sometimes you need the synergy that multiple sentences can give you.

I ripped out a lot to highlight my next point. I want to thank you for being the ONLY OTHER post/article/mention ANYWHERE that I can find that thinks the Rupp knee on Staal was, at the very least, questionable. In my thread "Game 39 vs. NY - Thoughts from the morning after", only one person even commented on it, and more or less to say I was wrong.

I've been a die hard fan for soooo long I'm not sure I can tone it down to casual, but the thought has crossed my mind. I think the NHL is like most everything else in the world right now, FUBAR'ed. Let's hope it does not become SNAFUBAR'ed. It is not to late for Shanny (and COMMITTEE, its not just him) to get back to stiffer sentences.

I didn't like the Marchand hit, because it was Marchand "the rat", and the context of the game was nasty. There was already another dirty Boston hit, and against a team that they defeated in the cup by playing questionably dirty playoff hockey.

Victories cannot come at the expense of players health. It is a game, a form of entertainment, it is not a war. There is a trophy given every year for sportsmanship - The Lady Byng. I think that everyone who has won that the last 10 years should form a committee and submit ideas for how to clean up the attitude, which is the cause, the injuries and suspensions are just the effect.
Thanks. I don't think getting the Lady Byng winners is a great idea. Definitely creative, but to clean up the game, they need to just call the rules as they are written. They need an outside person to head up punishment. Someone who watches a hit and reads the rules. Stop getting people who can "tell what the guy was thinking." Problem is that the old guard and hockey "purists" would never allow someone from outside of hockey to infect the game. He won't understand the unwritten code or doesn't know what it's like to be in that situation or can't comprehend the speed of the game, blah blah blah. It's all excuses for continuing what's going on.

I hope people do read my wall of text. I didn't start putting all of that together until recently. When people say "this stuff always happened, they are just diagnosing more concussions," it just gets accepted. So I went back and looked. It's not true, plain and simple. We have just come to accept that it's impossible to prevent these hits and that things happen to fast and that players were always getting hit in the head. The video proves it.

No one really answered my question, which I realize was just more for thought and not discussion, but I think it's an interesting exercise. I honestly think that if Bertuzzi did what he did to Moore TODAY (and it hadn't happened before), he gets no more than 5-8 games. And people would have accepted it. The refs have gone lax so much over the last half decade and the NHL has blurred the lines so much that rules aren't really rules.

As for Rupp's hit... I think my assessment is dead on. Sure, I know Rupp is a genuine guy from what we all see. And I don't think he wanted to hurt anyone. But what he meant/wanted to do vs what happened is not relevant. I just know that in the 90s and early 2000s, a knee was a knee. Sometimes guys got away with it, but no one would deny it's a dirty play. The NHL bending the kneeing rules to keep AO from getting suspended for so long just butchered that rule. Can you imagine someone arguing that Ulf led with his shoulder on Neely when it happened?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

5 games for marchand here, but 5 games for bourque the other night. You mean to tell me Marchand's hit was equally as dangerous. Um, no.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

The takeaway I've had is that you can't compare suspensions and hits. It won't make sense.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

bertuzzi would have had the book thrown at him today as a public relations move. shanahan and whoever is influencing him would be forced to react when a hit goes mainstream - making ESPN and non-sports publication headlines. PR is priority #1 for shanahan, and this incident would have been his greatest crisis to-date
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Mr. Colby wrote:5 games for marchand here, but 5 games for bourque the other night. You mean to tell me Marchand's hit was equally as dangerous. Um, no.
Probably right, but Salo did get a concussion from the Marchand hit which seems to sway Shanny some.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

offsides wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:5 games for marchand here, but 5 games for bourque the other night. You mean to tell me Marchand's hit was equally as dangerous. Um, no.
Probably right, but Salo did get a concussion from the Marchand hit which seems to sway Shanny some.
Which is why he's the wrong man for the job and/or the system is fatally flawed.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

shmenguin wrote:bertuzzi would have had the book thrown at him today as a public relations move. shanahan and whoever is influencing him would be forced to react when a hit goes mainstream - making ESPN and non-sports publication headlines. PR is priority #1 for shanahan, and this incident would have been his greatest crisis to-date
So true, and they're so transparent too
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mosby »

Mr. Colby wrote:
offsides wrote:
Which is why he's the wrong man for the job and/or the system is fatally flawed.
What's not to get here? When you obtained repeat offender status there going to be a multiplier effort. Especially if you continue to exhibit careless, dangerous play. That has been established (needs to be established) by the NHL. This is Marchand's third time he's been called in for disciplinary action in less then less then 10 calendar months. If you take out the summer months, that's 3 disciplinary actions in the last 6-7 months of NHL operational time.

March 2011 Suspended by the NHL for two games for elbowing R.J. Umberger in the back of the head
December 2011 Fined by the NHL for slew footing Matt Niskanen
January 2012 Suspended by the NHL for 5 games for clipping Sami Salo
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Mosby wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
offsides wrote:
What's not to get here? When you obtained repeat offender status there going to be a multiplier effort. Especially if you continue to exhibit careless, dangerous play. That has been established (needs to be established) by the NHL. This is Marchand's third time he's been called in for disciplinary action in less then less then 10 calendar months. If you take out the summer months, that's 3 disciplinary actions in the last 6-7 months of NHL operational time.

March 2011 Suspended by the NHL for two games for elbowing R.J. Umberger in the back of the head
But, as I pointed out earlier, they didn't treat him as a repeat offender, because they said this hit was "different" for some reason beyond my understanding...

A dirty hit is a dirty hit. Period.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Well deserved suspension
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Mosby wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
offsides wrote:

Um, Bourque was a repeat offender too (just 2 weeks prior)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Keeping this in here so I don't much up another thread...

When did it become acceptable/normal to hit a guy by jumping up into him while turning so you hit him with the back of your shoulder? (Example below)

How is this "good form"? It's pretty much how all the big hits that lead to concussions go now. Take note Shanny...

[youtube][/youtube]
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

bhaw wrote:Keeping this in here so I don't much up another thread...

When did it become acceptable/normal to hit a guy by jumping up into him while turning so you hit him with the back of your shoulder? (Example below)

How is this "good form"? It's pretty much how all the big hits that lead to concussions go now. Take note Shanny...
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]

Meh... I really don't see anything wrong with that hit, in fact, I like it.

He just released the puck, maybe you could take exception to the fact that he hit him to close to that pass... But as far as the hit itself, it looks to me like he led with a hip check. Never left his feet, no contact to the head, I like it. It was crushing, sure. Isn't that what hockey is?

You take hits like that out of the game and I'm not going to be a big fan.

I'm not saying your wrong bhaw, just expressing my own opinion.

Edit: Looking at it on the Big Screen, it does appear he might have led with the elbow... so, I'll kinda back off a bit on that score.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

bhaw wrote:Keeping this in here so I don't much up another thread...

Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
Looks like every hit Nik Kronwall has had in his career.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

I'm not saying the hit is "illegal" as it stands now, but this goes back to my rant a page or two ago. The NHL has let this stuff creep into the game and sold it as "this is how it's always been." It's a relatively new phenomenon where players SHOULD be hitting like this. It's a hit that has come into the game buy players who are trying to inflict as much injury as possible.

Your comments kind of prove my point. We have come to see this as a normal hit that can't be taken out of the game otherwise there would be no hitting. Exploding UP into a player's head and using your back side to do it? What happened to using your shoulder to drill through someone?

I wasn't calling for a suspension here at all. Just using it to illustrate what the NHL has done in the past 4-5 years to create this problem themselves by blurring the line of what's legal and what's not to protect some players and not others.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I was in the defend Shanny/give him time for the first weeks of the season.
Now it's not clear if he is incompetent or whether the league as a whole is, on discipline issues.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 00352.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Philadelphia told me about Zac Rinaldo," said Shanahan. "He's a really big hitter. Hits hard. But they said to him that if you see 20 hits a game in your head, pick the best three. That's enough to be a physical, intimidating player in this League. When I hear coaching like that, that's when I'm thinking there's full buy-in there."
yeah...you really have rinaldo pegged

[youtube][/youtube]

go to hell, shanny
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

I know the Michalek vs AO had its own thread... but looking for answers why the league would suspend a pair of Red Wings for skipping the ASG in the past but won't do that to AO now?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

relantel wrote:I know the Michalek vs AO had its own thread... but looking for answers why the league would suspend a pair of Red Wings for skipping the ASG in the past but won't do that to AO now?
There is some rule about missing the game before or after an all star game due to injury. Neither of the Wings met that criteria (i.e. they didn't go because they didn't want to go).