GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by UVM2003 »

@MWB - Heady Topper...been looking to try that one for a while. Supposed to be the 'new' Pliny. I had heard about the brewery devastation via some UVM buddies - very sad story. Is it true that Alchemist recommends drinking the beer out of the can? I have heard that it mentions that on the label

@Canaan - GI doesn't distribute to PA, unfortunately. They do send to Ohio, but due to the antiquated laws, you can't get a Bourbon County Stout because of the high ABV. My wife was able to get it from a buddy in Chicago. Enjoy Goose Island before Anheiser-Busch completely F's it over.

Ran into Youngstown today to Vintage Estates. Looks like North Coast Barrel Aged Old Rasputin is out. Grabbed a few of those. Also picked up a Dark Lord off of Ebay. Way overpriced, but I despise the hard to find 'brewery only' releases and have to sample this beer.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

UVM2003 wrote:@MWB - Heady Topper...been looking to try that one for a while. Supposed to be the 'new' Pliny. I had heard about the brewery devastation via some UVM buddies - very sad story. Is it true that Alchemist recommends drinking the beer out of the can? I have heard that it mentions that on the label
Yes, it recommends drinking from the can. "Drink from the can!" is what it says around the top. The reason the brewer gives is to retain the hoppy aroma. I had another one tonight and again drank from the can. So good. Nice hoppiness without being overwhelming in any way like a lot of IPAs try to.

Not sure how often you get to VT, but their website lists where it's available:
http://www.alchemistbeer.com/retail-availability/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Picked up a harpoon Wintry mix. has the 4 beers from the previous variety pack (IPA, UFO, Belgian pale Ale and Muncih Dark) + Winter Warmer and Chocolate Stout.

So while my source didn't come through on the case of WW, I will still get to try it. :thumb:
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

I was able to get a 12 oz bottle of Dogfish 120 at the Market District in Robinson. I asked the manager if he had any and he went to the back to get one. He was a really nice and helpful guy.

Also got a 6er of Southern Tier Double IPA and a bottle of that Sam Adams champagne beer. I'm possible for two parties tomorrow so that'll be my champagne contribution. Got a bottle of Verdi (basically a wine cooler sparkling sweet wine) for the girls.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Oh and waiting to drink the 120.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Had the Anchor Christmas tonight. Thought it was really well done.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Tried a couple Full Sails beers tonight that a friend got while visiting Oregon.

The Amber is one of the best Amber ales I've had. The IPA was not particularly memorable.
Wrangler98
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wrangler98 »

Full Sail is on the east coast! You don't have to go to Oregon.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Wrangler98 wrote:Full Sail is on the east coast! You don't have to go to Oregon.
Well, I don't believe it's available in PA. Anyway, he went to the brewpub out there and was blown away by the amber and decided to bring some back, which I am grateful for.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Ayinger Celebrator and Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout on tap for tonight.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Just tried the Harpoon winter warmer (well, technically, still drinking it). Good stuff.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

the wicked child wrote:Just tried the Harpoon winter warmer (well, technically, still drinking it). Good stuff.
Can't go wrong with Harpoon.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Harpoon chocolate stout. Heavy cocoa taste. Reminds me of the aftertaste of Sam Adams chocolate bock, except it's the main flavor.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

the wicked child wrote:Harpoon chocolate stout. Heavy cocoa taste. Reminds me of the aftertaste of Sam Adams chocolate bock, except it's the main flavor.
Mmmm...chocolate beer...
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

If anyone is a fan of bourbon barrel imperial stouts, I saw Brooklyn black ops in stores. It's very limited, only about 1,000 cases are distributed. It's also unique in that it's bottle flat and pitched with champagne yeast. While not quite as good as founders KBS, it's definitely worth it to try.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

the wicked child wrote:Harpoon chocolate stout. Heavy cocoa taste. Reminds me of the aftertaste of Sam Adams chocolate bock, except it's the main flavor.
This stuff is good.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

i know it's been in a few places in the area but just and FYI for those who like it, Dogfishhead 120 is on tap at Barley's & Hop's
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

llipgh2 wrote:
Mmmm...chocolate beer...
Choklat from Southern Tier has been hitting the area stores for the past couple weeks or so
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Rylan wrote:
Houghs in Greenfield did as of last week according to my friend. I may have said that already in this thread while under the influence of beer.

This stuff is good.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Bought some of this yesterday:
Spoiler:
I'll let you know how it turns out.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

did a tour of the Yards brewery in philly today. they had an awesome bar with a bunch of stuff i've never seen in stores. don't know how it's taken me so long to head over there.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Having this:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/7944/39625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok. Very light for a "Christmas beer" with not a ton of flavor. Not bad, but wouldn't get it again.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

ExPatriatePen wrote:Bought some of this yesterday:
Spoiler:
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Definitely a South Western brew, you can taste the Amarillo hops. Good, not the best, but one that I'd order again.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-revi ... r-for-dogs

Next time you want to give your dog a treat, take him to the pub for a little doggy brew. That's right, the newest canine chow is the dog equivalent of a cold one.

According to The Daily Mail, a pub in South Gosforth, Newcastle in England has set its sights on a rather unconventional clientele — canines. The Brandling Villa pub brews their own beer for dogs, alcohol-free of course. The dog beer consists of malt, hops, and meat extract and has become quite popular among the doggy drinkers that frequent the pub with their owners.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

BTW, why alcohol-free? Animals get drunk all the time. I saw a video of monkeys and giraffes and hippos and all sorts of various animals getting drunk on fermented fruit. It was hilarious watching them fall all over their feet. So why not give your doggie a little fun?