Sheriff Shanny

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Sheriff Shanny

Post by offsides »

Well, I guess this is good for the game, we will have to wait and see how it works out. Hopefully the players don't get gun shy and quit hitting altogether. Don't think it will stop a Steckel type hit though.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

At least Shanny got these two obvious ones right. Time to start being consistent though. I think the Bourque and Carcillo calls are good... possibly more for Bourque since he has had so many infractions so quickly.

I just wish he would apply the same standards across the board. It's easy to drop the hammer on a guy like Carcillo who is a turd that serves no purpose other than to injure people.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

In the old days - two years ago - people would have accused Backstrom of admiring his own pass.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

offsides wrote:Well, I guess this is good for the game, we will have to wait and see how it works out. Hopefully the players don't get gun shy and quit hitting altogether. Don't think it will stop a Steckel type hit though.
Making hitting illegal wouldn't stop a hit like that, assuming that you're referring to the Winter Classic hit.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Idoit40fans wrote:
offsides wrote:Well, I guess this is good for the game, we will have to wait and see how it works out. Hopefully the players don't get gun shy and quit hitting altogether. Don't think it will stop a Steckel type hit though.
Making hitting illegal wouldn't stop a hit like that, assuming that you're referring to the Winter Classic hit.
I guess the only way a hit like that would be illegal is if head hits are treated as high sticking calls. No excuses, any hit to the head is illegal, intentional or not. Would be more than a little tough to enforce.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by It'sagreatdayforhockey! »

bhaw wrote:At least Shanny got these two obvious ones right. Time to start being consistent though. I think the Bourque and Carcillo calls are good... possibly more for Bourque since he has had so many infractions so quickly.

I just wish he would apply the same standards across the board. It's easy to drop the hammer on a guy like Carcillo who is a turd that serves no purpose other than to injure people.

I don't think 7 is enough for Carcillo. I know it is two different regimes, but Cooke was suspended longer for a much less egregious play. The Carcillo play had all the requirements too. Dirty play, dirty player (repeat offender who did the same thing 2 months ago), injury, completely unnecessary. He should have been hit with an even bigger suspension, mostly on account of the fact that he has been suspended and suspended specifically for that style hit.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penmyst »

bhaw wrote:At least Shanny got these two obvious ones right. Time to start being consistent though. I think the Bourque and Carcillo calls are good... possibly more for Bourque since he has had so many infractions so quickly.

Let's be honest; that IS progress. Merely getting the so-blatantly-obvious-a-woman-could-get-it-right calls are a step in the right direction. Baby steps.

Next we can get him chewing solid food.
Idoit40fans wrote:
You are correct. That wasn't a hit along the lines of physical play. It was an intentional cheapshot made to look like an accident.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

ESPN Daily Debat weighs in on the situation:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/1 ... ont-get-it" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Agreed with what Burnside says.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

carcillo would have only got 4-5 games if he wasn't already injured.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

bhaw wrote:ESPN Daily Debat weighs in on the situation:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/1 ... ont-get-it" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Agreed with what Burnside says.
i do to, but if you're going to start going bonkers with double-digit suspensions, shanahan isn't fit to be the judge. if one believes that he has pure motives and is doing an honest job, then the result of that theory is:

shanahan is a complete idiot with terrible judgment

i, myself don't think he has pure motives, so i guess that's somewhat of a compliment to his intelligence. either way, he's unfit to make decisions that will cost someone 20% of their salary and hurt a team's playoff viability.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

Granted, it was pre-Shanahan, but Cooke should be peeved. He got 17 games and nobody else is getting close to that, even guys with extensive suspension histories like Carcillo.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Henry Hank wrote:Granted, it was pre-Shanahan, but Cooke should be peeved. He got 17 games and nobody else is getting close to that, even guys with extensive suspension histories like Carcillo.
we all should be peeved. it's arguable that he would have contributed enough for us to win the tampa series. particularly in the penalty kill - which floundered IIRC.

cooke was frankestein's monster, and the hockey media was a group of angry villagers with torches. campbell handed over the monster and the mob was squashed. problem solved. :roll:
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

The thing is there appears to be pretty good evidence that the suspension to Cooke worked. So far, he's been a completely different player.

I agreed with that suspension, but I think we can all agree they only did it because 1) it was very easy to do in the climate at that time, and 2) it probably had something to do with Lemieux's letter and the backlash resulting from that.

If they had the guts to suspend more guys like that maybe things would change for the better in the NHL. Despite the fact that suspensions are far more frequent now, it doesn't seem like dirty hits are happening any less than they were.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Just start making flagrant headshots 10+ games. That Bourque headshot was a clear variation that I'm talking about. He lunged with his elbow to make the contact.

Get serious about it and force these guys to sit for 10+ every time.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

1 game for a racial slur! Way to go shanny, that will teach them.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

ffemtreed wrote:1 game for a racial slur! Way to go shanny, that will teach them.
That's a joke in and of itself considering everything being reported is he commented about slipping on a banana peel and P.K. himself didn't think anything of it. Everything reported is the ref heard wrong and overreacted. Way to investigate the situation Shanny.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I refuse to believe that what "slur" was said, was the worst thing ever said on ice to a hockey player who isn't white. I suppose they could connect it to the Simmonds banana being thrown at him at that one game, but I think it's still pretty weak.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

Pavel Bure wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:1 game for a racial slur! Way to go shanny, that will teach them.
That's a joke in and of itself considering everything being reported is he commented about slipping on a banana peel and P.K. himself didn't think anything of it. Everything reported is the ref heard wrong and overreacted. Way to investigate the situation Shanny.
So I can use the N word since some black people wouldn't think anything of it? :pop:
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

Malkamaniac wrote:I refuse to believe that what "slur" was said, was the worst thing ever said on ice to a hockey player who isn't white. I suppose they could connect it to the Simmonds banana being thrown at him at that one game, but I think it's still pretty weak.
It doesn't matter, Yanks would be all :scared: if he did nothing.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
So I can use the N word since some black people wouldn't think anything of it? :pop:
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

There's a pretty distinct difference to what was said, compared to using the Nword in a flagrant manner. I could see the suspension coming form something that drastic, but what was said, really? We're that emotionally butt hurt as a society? I just would like to believe something else was said.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Malkamaniac wrote:There's a pretty distinct difference to what was said, compared to using the Nword in a flagrant manner. I could see the suspension coming form something that drastic, but what was said, really? We're that emotionally butt hurt as a society? I just would like to believe something else was said.
public relations trumps the act itself yet again in shanaland. did anyone expect any different?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

I was thinking a minute ago while on the john...

It seems like it would be so easy to make questionable hits a black-and-white issue. When reviewing such hits to the head, the only thing that should be considered is whether or not the hit itself is subject to suspension. Severity, injury, intent, etc. should all be left out because they are essentially irrelevant. The fact that there are so many suspendable hits this season can only mean that the system needs to be overhauled.

It's time to institute a standard of punishment. A hit to the head either is or isn't subject to suspension.

My idea would be a player's first offense for illegal hit to the head should be a 2 game suspension. No questions asked. Players make mistakes and 2 games should be enough of an eye-opener for them to be more careful, yet not severe enough to truly effect their season.

The second offense should be 10 games. No questions asked. Obviously their eyes were not opened with the proverbial slap-on-the-wrist they received after their first offense. 10 games is extremely significant. Almost 1/8 of the player's yearly pay would be forfeited. Also, 10 games is sufficient time for a player to lose their roster spot. If a Daniel Carcillo misses 10 games, that gives someone ample opportunity to steal his roster spot. This should keep players like him from going over the edge, for fear of losing their job.

For clean players that make that one mistake (i.e. Engelland), there can be a period of time to elapse (82 team games from the incident, perhaps) where their slate would be wiped clean and if they were to make another mistake it'd be a 2 game punishment again.

If Rene Bourque didn't learn from 2 games, why is he going to learn from 5? Sad to say that even though Cooke got screwed (according to the current broken system), he seems to have adapted. His suspension should be used as an example. The first 4 or 5 times he was suspended obviously didn't work. Why would that be different for Rene Bourque, Raffi Torres, Andy Sutton. Prevent further injury by giving them major suspensions early on in the progression.

/vent
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Mr. Colby wrote:I was thinking a minute ago while on the john...

It seems like it would be so easy to make questionable hits a black-and-white issue. When reviewing such hits to the head, the only thing that should be considered is whether or not the hit itself is subject to suspension. Severity, injury, intent, etc. should all be left out because they are essentially irrelevant. The fact that there are so many suspendable hits this season can only mean that the system needs to be overhauled.

It's time to institute a standard of punishment. A hit to the head either is or isn't subject to suspension.

My idea would be a player's first offense for illegal hit to the head should be a 2 game suspension. No questions asked. Players make mistakes and 2 games should be enough of an eye-opener for them to be more careful, yet not severe enough to truly effect their season.

The second offense should be 10 games. No questions asked. Obviously their eyes were not opened with the proverbial slap-on-the-wrist they received after their first offense. 10 games is extremely significant. Almost 1/8 of the player's yearly pay would be forfeited. Also, 10 games is sufficient time for a player to lose their roster spot. If a Daniel Carcillo misses 10 games, that gives someone ample opportunity to steal his roster spot. This should keep players like him from going over the edge, for fear of losing their job.

For clean players that make that one mistake (i.e. Engelland), there can be a period of time to elapse (82 team games from the incident, perhaps) where their slate would be wiped clean and if they were to make another mistake it'd be a 2 game punishment again.

If Rene Bourque didn't learn from 2 games, why is he going to learn from 5? Sad to say that even though Cooke got screwed (according to the current broken system), he seems to have adapted. His suspension should be used as an example. The first 4 or 5 times he was suspended obviously didn't work. Why would that be different for Rene Bourque, Raffi Torres, Andy Sutton. Prevent further injury by giving them major suspensions early on in the progression.

/vent
so.... fair to say the NHL is back to the "Wild West" it was under Campbell? its not stopping or maybe is even worse?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I'd say Campbell would probably be doing a better job right now...

And that's saying something.