Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Jagr to PHI

Post by Tomas »

Another Jagr's "Comeback" blog entry - and this time in English:

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/blogy-red ... t-die.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Tomas wrote:Another Jagr's "Comeback" blog entry - and this time in English:

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/blogy-red ... t-die.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I posted this photo in the Havel thread. Worth repeating:

Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

Interesting Jagr story:

http://delcotimes.com/articles/2011/12/ ... =fullstory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And he has done this while mentoring a lot of the Flyers rookies and younger players and exhibited an unrivaled, off-ice work ethic.

“(Flyers assistant coach) Joey Mullen told me that Jaromir was a rink rat when he was younger,” Holmgren said. “He transferred that at this point of his career to the gym. He does a lot of workouts by himself. He wears weight belts, walks around with weights on his ankles and goes on the ice with a weight on his stick – he continually practices his shooting. We didn’t know about all that, but it’s set a really good example for all of our young guys about preparation for games and practices.”

Holmgren pointed out that following the Flyers second win of the season – a 3-0 shutout in New Jersey – Jagr took all the rookies into a room across the hall from the locker room after the game to do push ups and sit ups.

“He’s been great, terrific,” Holmgren said. “Are those adjectives? I don’t know how many I can use. Not only his play but the other things he’s brought to the table – leadership, dedication, his experience – the success we’ve had so far this season, a lot of it can be attributed to him.”
Jagr was always a great role model for other Pens players when it came to conditioning and constantly enhancing their hockey skills. I'm not surprised he can still play at a high level due to his professionalism.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Jagr is under the radar, for the most part, and that's his spot. Got to be a lot of what's helping PHI.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pugilist13 »

F*** Jagr!
Wrangler98
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wrangler98 »

id still take him back
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Juice »

YINZ LUV DAT YARRMEER YAWGER
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Draftnik wrote:Interesting Jagr story:

http://delcotimes.com/articles/2011/12/ ... =fullstory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And he has done this while mentoring a lot of the Flyers rookies and younger players and exhibited an unrivaled, off-ice work ethic.

“(Flyers assistant coach) Joey Mullen told me that Jaromir was a rink rat when he was younger,” Holmgren said. “He transferred that at this point of his career to the gym. He does a lot of workouts by himself. He wears weight belts, walks around with weights on his ankles and goes on the ice with a weight on his stick – he continually practices his shooting. We didn’t know about all that, but it’s set a really good example for all of our young guys about preparation for games and practices.”

Holmgren pointed out that following the Flyers second win of the season – a 3-0 shutout in New Jersey – Jagr took all the rookies into a room across the hall from the locker room after the game to do push ups and sit ups.

“He’s been great, terrific,” Holmgren said. “Are those adjectives? I don’t know how many I can use. Not only his play but the other things he’s brought to the table – leadership, dedication, his experience – the success we’ve had so far this season, a lot of it can be attributed to him.”
Jagr was always a great role model for other Pens players when it came to conditioning and constantly enhancing their hockey skills. I'm not surprised he can still play at a high level due to his professionalism.
From my understanding in the Jagr thread many people were saying Jagr was a diva, lazy and a bad example for everyone during his 11-year Pens tenure. Which was it? Somewhere in between?

I was only 14 when Jagr was traded, and could not understand english well enough to follow the Penguins more than seing occasional games.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Some Czech papers (most notably, "Sport" daily) were at the game yesterday. Today's articles are one never-ending anti-Penguins shadenfreude. :)

Here are some pictures snapped by "Sport" photographer:

Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

Tomas wrote:
ROFLMFAOOMFGWTFBBQ
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Those pics are funny as hell.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

Lesky wrote:From my understanding in the Jagr thread many people were saying Jagr was a diva, lazy and a bad example for everyone during his 11-year Pens tenure. Which was it? Somewhere in between?

I was only 14 when Jagr was traded, and could not understand english well enough to follow the Penguins more than seing occasional games.
Jagr wasn't lazy with the Pens. He worked harder than any Penguin I've seen (I've been following them since the mid 70s) to improve his existing skills and add new skills nearly every season. Even after he went to NYR he developed a lethal long range slap shot in his mid 30s. He was moody and had his ups and downs during the regular seasons, but at the end of every season his production was very consistent on a season over season basis. He was a pied piper for Euros. There were so many guys like Nedved, Straka, Kovalev, Lang, Slegr, etc that played their best NHL hockey with Jagr as their role model. He won 4 of his 5 Art Ross trophies without Mario and did it with crappy linemates like Jan Hrdina and Kip Miller. He was a warrior in the playoffs.

He definitely was lazy with the Caps.

The Flyers offered him more $$$ than the Pens so he signed with them. I don't harbor any ill will towards him for that decision.

He gave the Pens 11 great seasons. That is how I view him.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

I'm a big Jagr fan. 2nd best player I've ever seen
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

profpolisci wrote:I'm a big Jagr fan.
In b4 "buT h0W B1g r U? lolderp".
Last edited by Physical_Graffiti on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

profpolisci wrote:I'm a big Jagr fan. 2nd best player I've ever seen
So which of these two are you discounting?

Mario

Or

Gretzky?

Cause there's no way that I put Jagr anywhere near either of those guys.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Why Not Us »

Lesky wrote:Image
That's the lady who brings the inflatable beach toy penguin to every game. No wonder she'd make that sign, she used to wear Jagr Capital and Ranger jerseys when he played with those squads. Surprised she wasn't rocking a Flyer Jagr jersey.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

The newest Jagr "Sazka" commercial:

"Win 'Sportka' [jackpot] and do only what you truly enjoy!"

[youtube][/youtube]
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Jagr injured again.

Missed a breakaway and in the 1st period and then got injured. Its the winter classic, so probably the groin again.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

Lesky wrote:Jagr injured again.

Missed a breakaway and in the 1st period and then got injured. Its the winter classic, so probably the groin again.
I still stand by the statement that playing in the Winter Classic, with the distorted background and sight lines contributed to Crosby putting himself in a vulnerable situation. He had played how many games in the NHL and NEVER put himself in that kind of exposed situation.

The announcers today were saying as much about the players in the game today - having to adjust to depth perception and positioning in the rink etc. - because of the scale of everything. Add in vastly inferior lighting and also a soaking rain and wet ice that impact your hearing. You cannot hear your opponent coming on wet ice, just as you can hear them loudly on hard, crunchy ice. All of his senses, the senses of the Ferrari, are compromised by the environment that he had to play in.

If Jagr was in fact hurt on that joke of a sheet, then I hope that teams start pushing back on this marketing gimmick that is way too dangerous for the players.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

that is why the winter classic should be the all star game if they are going to keep it.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

I don't have time to look it up at the moment, but didn't Jagr claim he couldn't play as a result of swelling from a spear taken during the game against the Pens?
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

The Snapshot wrote: If Jagr was in fact hurt on that joke of a sheet, then I hope that teams start pushing back on this marketing gimmick that is way too dangerous for the players.
Jagr said the injury (to his leg/calf) occurred against Pittsburgh. It tightened up during the WC.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

Me to Jagr:
Spoiler:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
profpolisci wrote:I'm a big Jagr fan. 2nd best player I've ever seen
So which of these two are you discounting?

Mario

Or

Gretzky?

Cause there's no way that I put Jagr anywhere near either of those guys.
it's possible that profpolisci never saw Gretzky live