Quotes you like.

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Quotes you like.

Post by Godric »

The paradox is really the pathos of intellectual life and just as only great souls are exposed to passions it is only the great thinker who is exposed to what I call paradoxes, which are nothing else than grandiose thoughts in embryo.
Soren Kierkegaard
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Godric wrote:"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin
:lol: :lol: :lol:
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pugilist13 »

"If you want to get along with me...Dont increase my tension." - Ty Cobb

I use this quite often.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

the desiderata was on my barber's wall growing up and i've read it numerous times. it is definitely one of my favorites.

"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy."
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tluke53 »

Show me a gracious looser and I will show you a bus boy.
- Woody Hayes
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

tluke53 wrote:Show me a gracious looser and I will show you a bus boy.
- Woody Hayes
:thumb:

Pay it forward, Woody...
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

"If we long to believe that the stars rise and set for us, that we are the reason there is a Universe, does science do us a disservice in deflating our conceits?"

- Carl Sagan
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

Honor has not to be won; it must only not be lost.
Arthur Schopenhauer

If we were not all so interested in ourselves, life would be so uninteresting that none of us would be able to endure it.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Music is the melody whose text is the world.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Religion is the masterpiece of the art of animal training, for it trains people as to how they shall think.
Arthur Schopenhauer

The more unintelligent a man is, the less mysterious existence seems to him.
Arthur Schopenhauer

They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice... that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Treat a work of art like a prince. Let it speak to you first.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Wealth is like sea-water; the more we drink, the thirstier we become; and the same is true of fame.
Arthur Schopenhauer

One of my favorite Philosophers if you couldn't tell.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

:thumb:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Godric »

I just read some Freud and remembered how I completely hate his philosophy

Prime example:

"A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes but to get into accord with them: they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world."

I believe all men should strive to be conscious of their complexes because that will always keep him humble

I really love this quote though

"Look into the depths of your own soul and learn first to know yourself, then you will understand why this illness was bound to come upon you and perhaps you will thenceforth avoid falling ill."
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Godric »

A woman may very well form a friendship with a man, but for this to endure, it must be assisted by a little physical antipathy.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it.
Friedrich Nietzsche

After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.
Friedrich Nietzsche

I still live, I still think: I still have to live, for I still have to think.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Physiological psychology is, therefore, first of all psychology.
Wilhelm Wundt

Physiological psychology, on the other hand, is competent to investigate the relations that hold between the processes of the physical and those of the mental life.
Wilhelm Wundt

The attitude of physiological psychology to sensations and feelings, considered as psychical elements, is, naturally, the attitude of psychology at large.
Wilhelm Wundt

The goal of physiological research is functional nature.
Walter Rudolf Hess

The powers, aspirations, and mission of man are such as to raise the study of his origin and nature, inevitably and by the very necessity of the case, from the mere physiological to the psychological stage of scientific operations.
Richard Owen

The task of physiological psychology remains the same in the analysis of ideas that it was in the investigation of sensations: to act as mediator between the neighbouring sciences of physiology and psychology.
Wilhelm Wundt

The water was like a physiological stimuli to the subconscious that overwhelmed people with too much psychoanalytical material, you might say. People could do 10 breathing sessions without the water, and then they did breathing sessions in the water.
Leonard Orr

This substance, which is manifold in its forms and protean in its transformations, has, in its state of living matter, one physiological name which has become familiar, that of protoplasm.
Asa Gray

We do not discuss the anatomical, physiological, and mental characteristics of man considered as an individual; but we are interested in the diversity of these traits in groups of men found in different geographical areas and in different social classes.
Franz Boas

Intelligence is really a kind of taste: taste in ideas.
Susan Sontag

Sorry I blew up this thread. Its the last post I'll make in this thread.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Godric »

I lied.

"The vanity of existence is revealed in the whole form existence assumes: in the infiniteness of time and space contrasted with the finiteness of the individual in both; in the fleeting present as the sole form in which actuality exists; in the contingency and relativity of all things; in continual becoming without being; in continual desire without satisfaction; in the continual frustration of striving of which life consists."

-- Arthur Schopenhauer, "On The Vanity Of Existence"
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by 71Aj66ax87 »

I Have an Idea, an Idea so Smart That My Head Would Explode If I Even Began to know What I Was Talking About.-Peter Griffin
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Mischief springs from the power which the moneyed interest derives from a paper currency which they are able to control, from the multitude of corporations with exclusive privileges... which are employed altogether for their benefit.
Andrew Jackson

The great can protect themselves, but the poor and humble require the arm and shield of the law.
Andrew Jackson

As long as our government is administered for the good of the people, and is regulated by their will; as long as it secures to us the rights of persons and of property, liberty of conscience and of the press, it will be worth defending.
Andrew Jackson

Disunion by force is treason.
Andrew Jackson
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Flavor Flav is the first taste you get in the morning
Your breakfast is the flavor
In between that your lunch, in between that your dinner
In between that your midnight flavor
That's right, boy
Flavor Flav
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Godric »

Your perception of an event depends on your emotional state of mind at the time that the event occurs.

To stabilize emotion you have to live the lifestyle demanded by your own physiology, which you must discover

“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” – Albert Einstein

“Everything you see or hear or experience in any way at all is specific to you. You create a universe by perceiving it, so everything in the universe you perceive is specific to you.” – Douglas Adams
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pugilist13 »

"Honey badger dont care"-Honey Badger

Yes,I've been drinking.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Willie Kool wrote:Flavor Flav is the first taste you get in the morning
Your breakfast is the flavor
In between that your lunch, in between that your dinner
In between that your midnight flavor
That's right, boy
Flavor Flav
Any song that has "dead women hips" is bank. Well done, Herr Kool.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Godric »

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
Voltaire

All styles are good except the tiresome kind.
Voltaire

All the reasonings of men are not worth one sentiment of women.
Voltaire

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
Voltaire

An ideal form of government is democracy tempered with assassination.
Voltaire

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
Voltaire

Anyone who seeks to destroy the passions instead of controlling them is trying to play the angel.
Voltaire

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.
Voltaire

Illusion is the first of all pleasures.
Voltaire
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

"Sorry I blew up this thread. Its the last post I'll make in this thread."
-Godric
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Godric »

Froggy wrote:"Sorry I blew up this thread. Its the last post I'll make in this thread."
-Godric
Godric wrote:I lied.
So sue me?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

lol Godric created the thread.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner