Sheriff Shanny

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Sheriff Shanny

Post by joopen »

DocEmrick wrote::lol:
Whats so funny? Another careless hit is going to cause another very good player to miss time with a head injury. :face:
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penmyst »

joopen wrote:
DocEmrick wrote::lol:
Whats so funny? Another careless hit is going to cause another very good player to miss time with a head injury. :face:
Maybe he finds it funny that this keeps happening again and again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

Doesn't seem the NHL "enforcement" is stopping much of this. But then, when you can get away with intentional blindside headshotting the greatest player in the game today putting him out for a year (and counting) without so much as a penalty let alone a stiff suspension: why the hell not just keep on knocking guys out (pun intended)? Pacioretty sits 2, Letang out indefinitely. I'd say that's a fair trade if you are a cheapshot artist. And with Sheriff Shanny at the helm, there is little fear that you'll face a 50 game suspension or frankly any suspension at all.
PaLionking
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by PaLionking »

And Lucic only gets 1 game for the exact same kind of hit Letang got two for. Plus Lucic has more history than Letang does. So goes the consistently inconsistent discipline of the NHL
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Two games for Bourque.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Well... looking at it this way... Lucic getting 1 game is better than 0.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

How are these benign suspensions supposed to stop anyone from doing what the NHL allegedly wants to get rid of?
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Gaucho wrote:How are these benign suspensions supposed to stop anyone from doing what the NHL allegedly wants to get rid of?
I will say hopefully these slap on the wrist suspensions are just the start and suspensions there after will increase in severity. So far the only guy where past history was taken into account and a real suspension was handed out was Wisniewski.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Pavel Bure wrote:
Gaucho wrote:How are these benign suspensions supposed to stop anyone from doing what the NHL allegedly wants to get rid of?
I will say hopefully these slap on the wrist suspensions are just the start and suspensions there after will increase in severity. So far the only guy where past history was taken into account and a real suspension was handed out was Wisniewski.
And Sutton, but to your point... there won't be any players left on the ice by the time history comes into play. Think about it... you get the fine, then at least one paltry 2 game suspension, then maybe a 4-5 game. So you can take out 2-3 players with severe concussions before you really have to start thinking about your own livelihood.

I've said it several times... how can the league look at a success story in reformation like Cooke, who had to be punished severely to get the message, and not think to replicate it?
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

bhaw wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
And Sutton, but to your point... there won't be any players left on the ice by the time history comes into play. Think about it... you get the fine, then at least one paltry 2 game suspension, then maybe a 4-5 game. So you can take out 2-3 players with severe concussions before you really have to start thinking about your own livelihood.

I've said it several times... how can the league look at a success story in reformation like Cooke, who had to be punished severely to get the message, and not think to replicate it?
I can certainly buy into that thought process. The league IMO has really dropped the ball by not highlighting Cooke's reformation.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penmyst »

relantel wrote:Well... looking at it this way... Lucic getting 1 game is better than 0.
And hey, that's better than a sharp stick in the eye. But then, what isn't better than a sharp stick in the eye? If you set the bar so very low, then it's easy to exceed expectations, amirite?
Pavel Bure wrote:
So... wishful thinking is supposed to replace proven track record?
Pavel Bure wrote: I can certainly buy into that thought process. The league IMO has really dropped the ball by not highlighting Cooke's reformation.
That would require admitting that Cooke is not the devil incarnate. The league, other GMs, and media aren't ever going to do that. Especially the ignorati that only know about Cooke from a highlight reel of goonery (compiled over an entire career), and know little to nothing about the Cooke that is a competent player solid checker/PK guy and can score a bit.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

penmyst wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote: I can certainly buy into that thought process. The league IMO has really dropped the ball by not highlighting Cooke's reformation.
That would require admitting that Cooke is not the devil incarnate. The league, other GMs, and media aren't ever going to do that. Especially the ignorati that only know about Cooke from a highlight reel of goonery (compiled over an entire career), and know little to nothing about the Cooke that is a competent player solid checker/PK guy and can score a bit.
Also add the fact he's been hit twice by questionable hits (Sarich and Carlson) and didn't even get a "Here's why we didn't suspend him" from the league.

It's pretty obvious Shanny and the league want nothing to do with Matt Cooke...

EDIT: ... unless they're suspending him for 20 games.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penmyst »

MRandall25 wrote:
Also add the fact he's been hit twice by questionable hits (Sarich and Carlson) and didn't even get a "Here's why we didn't suspend him" from the league.

It's pretty obvious Shanny and the league want nothing to do with Matt Cooke...

EDIT: ... unless they're suspending him for 20 games.
That's right.

As Pavel Bure wrote, the league has really dropped the ball on the Cooke turnaround.

If the league had two brain cells to rub together and spark a thought; they'd have used Cooke as an example of a guy that was able to clean up the junk from his game and play hockey the way the league wants him to play it.

Most of the true goons are gone from the league since the instigator penalty. So nearly every guy in this league can play hockey. You know, actual hockey. Some are still mostly fighters and don't play "great" hockey, but at least they can skate and work in a system.

So when these guys are out there headhunting, hitting high, kneeing players, slewfooting... it's entirely unnecessary. Similar to Cooke, who has more than enough skill to contribute to an NHL team. When he's throwing blindside elbows to Savard's head, or running a guy into the boards from behind, or delivering a knee whatever.... it's garbage and it's not necessary. And he CAN clean it up, as he has proven (so far).

All of these other players engaging in the dangerous plays are similar to Cooke. Engaging in plays that aren't necessary. I mean, a guy like Pacioretty who was a victim of thuggery last year at the hands of Chara..... decides, DECIDES, to level Letang with a headshot. It was completely and totally unnecessary. Yet here we sit, Letang out indefinitely, and Pacioretty still playing and contributing to his team.

I only use the Letang example because we as Pens' fans saw it up close and personal. I'm sure most of those other concussions round the league resulted from similar unnecessary dangerous plays involving hits up high/to the head.

And the league continues to do little to nothing about it other than flap their gums. Somehow it was OK to drop a multi-game bomb on Cooke last year, but we can't find it in our hearts to do it to these other thug plays? How can you ever hope to put an end to it without teeth in the law?
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

I don't know why I posted the lol emote to this thread.

It was probably the wrong one.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Interesting perspective on Shanahan here:

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/artic ... ref,26701/
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Sheriff Shanny is in way over his head. He was not ready for this job. Please go back to being an adviser to the Wings and let a big boy handle this.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

No supplemental discipline for Fistric concussing Weber.

[youtube][/youtube]

Seemed like a pretty clear elbow/upper arm to the head but Shanahan said the "lack of quality video for replay limited any compelling evidence and, thus, the league’s ability to act", whatever the hell that means.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

So he's basically saying:

"We're too stupid to tell if this hit was dirty, even though the player delivering it went high AND is recently off a 4 game suspension"

Incompetent fools...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Staggy wrote:No supplemental discipline for Fistric concussing Weber.

[youtube][/youtube]

Seemed like a pretty clear elbow/upper arm to the head but Shanahan said the "lack of quality video for replay limited any compelling evidence and, thus, the league’s ability to act", whatever the hell that means.
1) It wasn't Matt Cooke
2) A Predator was the victim
3) See #1
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Spineless.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Hurting the Preds help the Red Wings :pop:
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Its getting to the point where I'm starting to agree with those that say any hit to head is a 10 gamer...

And the league needs to hurry up and implement smaller elbow and shoulder pads in my opinion.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

the wicked child wrote:
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
1) It wasn't Matt Cooke
3) See #1
Clearly he left his feet. Sure, better video would be nice, but it's not a requirement or a substitute for common sense.

What happened to the "hip check"? When did it become extinct?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
the wicked child wrote:
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
1) It wasn't Matt Cooke
3) See #1
Clearly he left his feet. Sure, better video would be nice, but it's not a requirement or a substitute for common sense.

What happened to the "hip check"? When did it become extinct?
That is embarrassing to have that hit go without a suspension. Weber is now out, and Fistric in still playing - same as with Pacioretty in Montreal. Stars hurt by 3rd or 4th liners on pretty brutal hits to the head. I just don't know what the answer is, but the concussion thing is freakin' exploding and nothing seems to slow it.

Weber is the entire Preds team in front of Rinne.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Another Shanny screw-up, I see.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

I watched the 3rd period of Flyers/Bolts last night and Downie got blasted from behind into the boards really really bad. My initial thoughts were that's a 5 minute penalty, but it wasn't even called. I'd like to see a replay of that again.

Flyers have been running around all snarly lately. What's up with that? Check out Simmonds pummel a bolt and then Hartnell go up to their bench.

[youtube][/youtube]