Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by count2infinity »

also, turned those pretzels into pretzel bites for appetizers tomorrow. NICE!
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

My last few attempts at feeding myself and Mrs. Tif.

Pork Tenderloin Medallions in Mustard Sauce with Warm Red Cabbage Slaw

Roast Rib of Pork in Buerre Vin Rouge, with Smashed Fingerling Potatoes and Herbed Chevre

Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Brown Butter and Sage
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

On Saturday, I made the roast that yielded the chop in the middle picture above. It was a six-rib cut, but I trimmed three ribs off and Frenched the bones yielding about a pound of mini pork-steaks that I plan on cooking using a 'ghetto sous vide' technique as described by both David Chang and Thomas Keller. (more on that maybe later this week)

But the three-rib roast on Saturday left me with a leftover chop. So I warmed that up for dinner tonight along with a few other leftover bits and bobs to get......

Center Cut Pork Rib Chop with Pimenton-Scented Confit of Fennel & Onion with Jameson-Dijon Sauce

Thinking about while eating, I wish I had presented it differently. Next time, I will cut a small portion of the chop perpendicular to the bone and arrange the chop vertically, a la Heston Blumenthal's Pot-Roast Pork Loin from The Fat Duck.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I don't think I've ever heard the term "ghetto sous vide" lol
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

how about some good venison recipes as i have about 50 lbs of it in my freezer right at the moment.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

canaan wrote:I don't think I've ever heard the term "ghetto sous vide" lol
It involves a Ziploc bag, a Dutch oven, a candy thermometer, and a few ice cubes.

:fist:
mac5155 wrote:how about some good venison recipes as i have about 50 lbs of it in my freezer right at the moment.
What cuts?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

tifosi77 wrote:
It involves a Ziploc bag, a Dutch oven, a candy thermometer, and a few ice cubes.

mac5155 wrote:how about some good venison recipes as i have about 50 lbs of it in my freezer right at the moment.
What cuts?
I have a lot of "steaks" (just your run of the mill chops) and then some tenderloins.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

tifosi77 wrote:

What cuts?
wow, that is ghetto. do you still have to cook for the same length of time? i imagine that keeping temperatures consistent would be a bear.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

$259, bro:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CHcQ8wIwAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

tifosi77 wrote:
Sounds like the guy who can make a pipe out of anything in Half Baked. Lol
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

mac5155 wrote:I have a lot of "steaks" (just your run of the mill chops) and then some tenderloins.
I'm a fan of grilling venison tenderloin, but that might not be an option this time of year where you are.

Flavors that I think pair well with pretty much all game include juniper berries, mustard (especially whole grain), field greens (like dandelions, mustard, kale), sprouts.... basically anything with a slightly bitter component. So use those flavors as a jumping off point to find additional supporting flavors.

For example, juniper is the base for gin, so think about gin cocktails and what goes good there - first thought that immediately came to mind was a martini, so maybe make a sauce using vermouth. Mix 1 C of vermouth and between 1/4 and 1/3 C sherry vinegar - you want a roughly a 3:1 ratio - in a small sauce pan along with a sliced shallot and a sprig of tarragon. Reduce that over low heat until left with about 1/4 C of liquid. (take care not to boil the liquid, as it can become bitter) Turn the heat up to high and begin whisking in cold butter (in thumbnail-sized pieces) to emulsify into a sauce. Keep warm until ready to serve.

Or you could get some mustard greens and about 1/2 as much flat leaf parsley, blanch them for about 45 seconds each and shock under cold running water (or in an ice bath). Give them a rough chop, then into the carafe of a blender with a clove of garlic and 1/4 C vermouth and 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil. Pass that mixture through a strainer/sieve/chinois, and keep warm until ready to use. If you have a stick blender, use that to re-emulsify the sauce prior to serving. You should have a nice green sauce to pair with the venison.

For the venison itself, I'd probably just make a rub of equal parts juniper berries and black pepper in a spice mill then coat the meat with the rub. For the tenderloin, I'd probably cut it into medallions, a la that pork dish I shared up above. Either way, given the weather this time of year, I'd probably pan-roast the meat, regardless of cut. Cast-iron skillet, 400-degree oven, done and done. Recommend not cooking beyond medium-rare.
canaan wrote:wow, that is ghetto. do you still have to cook for the same length of time? i imagine that keeping temperatures consistent would be a bear.
That's what the ice cubes are for. :lol:
columbia wrote:$259, bro:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CHcQ8wIwAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, I don't have one of those yet. :P
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

canaan wrote:do you still have to cook for the same length of time?
Forgot to address this bit here......

You still want to cook it for a long-ish period of time, because - after all - the hottest you can get the cooking medium is 212F. But, at any rate, you don't want to be anywhere near there. Besides that, cooking for longer periods at lower temps generally yields a more flavorful end product, especially when you're talking about tough muscles that need a lot of time (like legs/shoulders or jowls, or belly)

Those tiny pork steaks I made from the tirmmings of Frenching the rib bones will benefit from a long slow cook as well. At least I hope so.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

i want to live near you and randomly show up for dinner--ghetto sous vide buffets, plox
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Ghetto sous-vide in action....

Cooking another pork chop as a test run.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

And.... it was a rousing success!!

Marinated the chop in a home-made peri peri pepper sauce for about 30 minutes before cooking. Then into the water, held at a steady 140-150 F for an hour and 10 minutes (lost track of time, only wanted to cook an hour, but that's okay cos it's sous vide!!!). Out of the bag, pat dry, season up with S & P then into a pan with some hot oil to get a quick sear. Through in some sliced shiitake mushrooms and minced ginger, turn chop, give everything a quick mix, remove chop after about 60 seconds total time in the pan, deglaze with a mix of sherry vinegar and white miso, reduce by 1/2 (about 15 seconds given the low volume of liquid I was using), pour the miso mushrooms over the chop.

Cut, eat, smile.

Next time, I'll marinate the meat for a day or so both before and after cooking. This was kind of a spur-of-the-moment decision tonight when I got home.

But I'm totally stoked that this technique actually worked. The possibilities are.... well, not endless. But they are ample. I can cook up ten portions of proteins for the week in two pots of water, chill them and freeze them, and have food for a week ready to go. Just back into hot water for 15 minutes and bam.

One tip: the easiest way to get all the air out of the Ziploc bag is to immerse it in the water when sealing, keeping the opening just above water level. The water naturally forces the air out of the bag pretty well. Not as good as a vacuum pump would do, obviously, but it works well enough for my purposes.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Cooked my first deer steak of the season last night.

Marinated the venison in a homemade blend of worechestitrretewtetuershire sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper. Not sure how I came up with that but regardless, marinated over night. Beef broth and into crock pot. Turned it on high at 6:30 AM and down to low around 8AM, then low until 6:00, high for an hour, and we ate around 7:20. Paired with potatos, carrots, celery, and some corn. It was OM NOM NOM city
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Made an awesome batch of Geschnetzeltes for the Christmas party today. WTF is that you ask? Chicken, Bacon, Mushrooms and Onions in some gravy, served with egg noodles (Though you could use whatever). It's a fairly simple dish overall, but if you cook it right, it is fricken awesome. The main battle is reusing the same pan for cooking all the different components and then making the gravy in said pan so you get all the "goodies" off the bottom. It's actually better if it sits overnight and all the flavors marry, making it a perfect dish for a party.

A German lady taught me to make it years back when I was a cook at a German club. Doing my part to let people know German cooking isn't just wurst and kraut. :lol:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Made some potica last night... it's a Slovenian nut roll. great with coffee in the morning.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

count2infinity wrote:Made some potica last night... it's a Slovenian nut roll. great with coffee in the morning.
Growing up, our Czech neighbors made a variation on that every Christmas.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

yeah, my girlfriend's family has some Slovenian heritage, so they make 8 or 9 batches every year... we did one. Turned out quite well.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

count2infinity wrote:Made some potica last night... it's a Slovenian nut roll.
I hear that's Anze Kopitar's signature move. Drives the LA girls wild.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

tifosi77 wrote:
One tip: the easiest way to get all the air out of the Ziploc bag is to immerse it in the water when sealing, keeping the opening just above water level. The water naturally forces the air out of the bag pretty well. Not as good as a vacuum pump would do, obviously, but it works well enough for my purposes.
acquiring one of those infomercial vacuum pack deals might be a decent way to get the desired packaging you want for relatively cheap.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

canaan wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
acquiring one of those infomercial vaccuum back deals might be a decent way to get the desired packaging you want for relatively cheap.
my family got one of those for packaging the chicken they raise and anything my dad kills while hunting for freezer storage. they work alright, but the plastic wrapping that is used is very very easily punctured.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

count2infinity wrote:
canaan wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
acquiring one of those infomercial vaccuum back deals might be a decent way to get the desired packaging you want for relatively cheap.
my family got one of those for packaging the chicken they raise and anything my dad kills while hunting for freezer storage. they work alright, but the plastic wrapping that is used is very very easily punctured.
Really? the foodsaver brand bags I use for my venison are like bulletproof
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

It depends on the brand and type of plastic that brand uses. You're better off using Ziploc bag and a 'manual' vacuum approach than using sub-par plastic in a machine.