Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Jagr to PHI

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Doesn't he know that Santa and Philadelphia don't get along.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

[youtube][/youtube]
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

Spoiler:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Tomas wrote:Jagr has become the spokeperson of Czech gaming company "Sazka" (formerly the undisputed market leader, but now emerging from the bankruptcy). Here is the first commercial:
[youtube][/youtube]
Capitals shirt? :pop:
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

And the masterpieces are here:

(The point: "We wish you'd be able to to only what you truly enjoy in the upcoming year.")

Part 1:
[youtube][/youtube]

Part 2:
[youtube][/youtube]
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

never gets old
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Making of the Santa commercial:

[youtube][/youtube]
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

New Jagr's blog:

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 26hl%3D3ed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Flyers fan saying Crosby afraid to meet Jagr :lol:

I think rather Jagrs groin might flair up in training prior to the game!
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Nice article in todays Post-gazette:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11342/1195392-61.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VOORHEES, N.J. -- Sometimes, you can learn a lot by watching someone when they do not realize anyone's looking.

Take Jaromir Jagr, for instance.

The majority of Penguins fans might view the sure Hall of Fame right winger as a traitor and user who spurned a chance to prove that you can go home again and wrap yourself in the good graces of people who once greatly appreciated you.

When he returned to the NHL this summer after three seasons playing in Russia, Jagr, 39, did not respond to a one-year, $2 million offer from the Penguins, the team that drafted him out of the still politically dicey Czech Republic and with whom he won two Stanley Cups and became a megastar.

Instead, he accepted a one-year, $3.3 million contract with the Penguins' most volatile rival, the Philadelphia Flyers.

In a conversation last week, Jagr did not want to analyze what it might be like tonight when the Penguins play in Philadelphia or speculate about how things might have gone if he had resigned with his original team.

"There's no 'if' in life when you choose," he said.

Less than an hour earlier, Jagr looked like anything but the uncaring monster some might believe him to be, but rather like a smart, dedicated hockey player pushing himself to get back from a groin injury.

While his teammates practiced on the main rink at the Flyers practice facility in front of a few fans and an HBO crew doing early filming for "24/7," Jagr worked alone on an adjacent rink.

No fans. No cameras. No security. Not even a trainer or conditioning coach. Just one set of inconspicuous eyes watching through glass from an upper floor.

Over and over, Jagr replicated a game situation. He skated hard. Elegance mixed with power. Long legs and square shoulders in perfect form. Just like when he was a teenager with the Penguins. Then, he adjourned to the bench for a few minutes until the next "shift."

Once, someone sneaked into the rink and waved a puck as Jagr skated along the glass. He could have avoided eye contact, but, instead, stopped, opened a door in the boards and signed the souvenir.

Eventually, the rest of the Flyers joined him for power-play drills. When he wasn't dishing, accepting or shooting the puck, Jagr had a glove off, using his hand to motion as he helped give pointers to teammates.

Just another day for Jagr.

"I just do my job," he said. "I've always wanted to be the best I can be.

"I always enjoy hockey. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't be playing it. I think I was putting a lot more pressure on myself when I was younger. This time, I'm putting a little bit less pressure on myself and just trying to help."

He is doing more than lending a hand with the Flyers. He returned from that groin problem last weekend and going into Philadelphia's game Wednesday night at Buffalo, he was third on the club with 21 points in 21 games. Half his eight goals were on the power play.

"He wants to help everybody. He's done a great job," said Flyers assistant coach Joe Mullen, a Hall of Famer who was one of Jagr's teammates on the Penguins' 1991 and '92 Stanley Cup teams.

"He's put up some good numbers. When a guy leaves the league for a couple of years, you don't know what you're getting back. He's 39 now. For most guys, that's the tail end. To put up some numbers at 39 the way he is, he's a phenomenon. But he was when he was 19, too."

Not to mention the years between.

Jagr, who also has played with Washington and the New York Rangers, has had 15 30-goal seasons, won five scoring titles and one MVP award, made seven postseason All-Star first teams and ranks first among active players in points (1,620) and assists (966), both totals before Wednesday.

With the Flyers, his usual linemates have been Claude Giroux, one of the game's most prolific young players, and Scott Hartnell.

Just in case Jagr was worried that signing with the Penguins would have meant getting bumped to the third or fourth line, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said Jagr would have been given the chance to assume a prominent role.

"We were looking at what he could do with our power play ... [and] the possibility of playing with [Sidney] Crosby or [Evgeni] Malkin," Bylsma said.

Jagr does not want to look ahead to the reception he will get three weeks from tonight when the Flyers play at Consol Energy Center.

"You don't know what will happen," he said.

In the meantime, he is enjoying himself.

He has full access to the Flyers' practice facility, and it is not unusual for him to let himself in and go for a skate, by himself or with a teammate or two, and sometimes in the middle of the night.

"He keeps himself in great shape still," Mullen said. "You've got to have the attitude, especially at that age, to come back and play and want to go through all the wars every night."

And do it with some laughs.

After a recent practice, Jagr disappeared into a training area, then came out into a hallway near the locker room wearing shorts and no shirt.

"Are the HBO cameras still here?" he asked to no one in particular, flashing the wide, little-boy grin Penguins fans might remember.

There still is a lot of the Pittsburgh teenager in Jagr, even if he is not in Pittsburgh anymore.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11342/11 ... z1fypoy8jL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

So whats everyones take on Jagrs season thus far?

He was less than stellar the first 7-8 games while re-adapting to the small rinks and the NHL tempo, but now seem to have settled well.

Jagr has 24 points in 22 games (not counting the Phoenix game were he played 30 seconds prior to being injured and not counting playing 4 shifts prior to being re-injured vs the Islanders) 1.09 PPG = 89 points over a 82 game season.

And that even though Jagr is being wasted on the PP setting up in the slot instead of the right circle as he has during his entire career. If Jagr got to play his right position on the PP I can bet he would have around 30 points.

Jagr recently had his worst game of the season Vs the Penguins were he was useless as usual.

Then he had his best game of the season against Tampa Bay. When Giroux went out injured, someone needed to step up and make the team stay the course and ensure a win. That man was Jagr. He looked possessed in that 3rd period and set Couturier up 3 times with what should've been 3 easy goals. Beyond that, he was just dominating the battles in the corners, back-checking well even. He's been a rock for the Flyers.

Jagr is the first player on the ice for practice and the one that leaves last, and taking extra sessions to work on his game, setting an example for the Flyers younger players.
Last edited by Lesky on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

Lesky wrote:So whats everyones take on Jagrs season thus far?

Jagr has 24 points in 22 games (not counting the Phoenix game were he played 30 seconds prior to being injured and not counting playing 4 shifts prior to being re-injured vs the Islanders)

Jagr recently had his worst game of the season Vs the Penguins were he was useless as usual. Then he had his best game of the season against Tampa Bay. When Giroux went out injured, someone needed to step up and make the team stay the course and ensure a win. That man was Jagr. He looked possessed in that 3rd period and set Couturier up 3 times with what should've been 3 easy goals. Beyond that, he was just dominating the battles in the corners, back-checking well even. He's been a rock for the Flyers.
I hope he pulls his groin every morning skate.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Lesky, Jagr could have 90 points in the first 60 games, but if he doesn't produce in the stretch run and during the playoffs he'll be a bust. Actually you could say that about almost anyone in the NHL today.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

ExPatriatePen wrote:Lesky, Jagr could have 90 points in the first 60 games, but if he doesn't produce in the stretch run and during the playoffs he'll be a bust. Actually you could say that about almost anyone in the NHL today.
And, history suggests he'll have no problem with that.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Kraftster wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Lesky, Jagr could have 90 points in the first 60 games, but if he doesn't produce in the stretch run and during the playoffs he'll be a bust. Actually you could say that about almost anyone in the NHL today.
And, history suggests he'll have no problem with that.
Playing devils advocate for a minute, we don't have much history on how a 39 yearold Jagr will hold up through a long NHL season though. History would suggest 66 and 99 would do great during the playoffs too.

Not arguing, just playing a bit of devils advocate. (and maybe doing a bit of wishful thinking)
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Valid point. Only problem is that Crosby was a bust vs Detroit and Montreal as well. Nobody produces all the time in the playoffs.

For me I think the biggest concern so far with Jagr is that he and the Flyers training staff was so stupid with the groin injury. If Jagr does the same stupid thing again, he might be out a long time.

But of course the playoffs are much different, do I expect Jagr to dominate? Certainly not. But he could play his part right - he is not paid to be the leader of the pack anymore.

But I agree that I that Jagr might not physicly hold up for a long cup run, he is a big heavy man and old man these days.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

Has anyone else noticed that Jagr is usually wide-open for his goals? He doesn't seem to get very much respect from opposing defenses yet.

Jagr is twice as productive as I thought he'd be. He fits in well with Laviolette's system. I do not believe he'd have close to the same numbers playing under Bylsma -- who I don't think Jagr ever intended to be coached by.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

Neither did Shero
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

Physical_Graffiti wrote:Neither did Shero
That was my belief from the start of the fiasco.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

New Jagr's "Comeback" blog entry:

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 26hl%3D3ed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

I thought Jagr could get anywhere from 50 to 80 points on a good team like Pittsburgh, so his point production does not surprise me. What does surprise me is the chemistry that he, Giroux, and Hartnell have developed. That's been one of the best lines in hockey this year. I still don't like Jagr's game from the defensive standpoint and I don't know how effective he will be come playoff time when teams get on him, but then I have complaints about Sully in the top 6 (not aggressive enough, not a hitter like the other 3 wingers) or some other stuf with us, so I guess that's normal. Point is, he remains productive and I know that our PP would be a lot better if he was in our lineup.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penscup »

Didn't see this DVE song posted anywhere from last week when Pens played Jags.

http://www.dve.com/player/?station=WDVE ... d=21648411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spoiler:
Bourquee threw the Cup in my pool! :lol:
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Jagr bobblehead is out.

Too bad its got Rinaldos face though :D

Not that I would ever buy a bobblehead but anyway :lol:

Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Lesky wrote:Jagr bobblehead is out.

Too bad its got Rinaldos face though :D

Not that I would ever buy a bobblehead but anyway :lol:

No Hitler Stache, do not want.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Jagr finished No.5 in the official 2011 "Czech Athlete of the Year" race. Incidentally, Jagr was the last male winner of this award (in 2005). The only other hockey player in this year's Top 30 was David Krejci at No. 13. The results:
1. Petr Kvitová (tenis) 2424
2. Jaroslav Kulhavý (horská kola) 1688
3. Martina Sáblíková (rychlobruslení) 1420
4. Mirka Knapková (veslování) 1388
5. Jaromír Jágr (hokej) 1326
6. Zdeněk Štybar (cyklokros) 1269
7. Tomáš Berdych (tenis) 1191
8. Barbora Špotáková (atletika) 1017
9. Ondřej Synek (veslování) 1003
10. Petr Čech (fotbal) 848

11. Josef Váňa (dostihy) 446, 12. Filip Jícha (házená) 378, 13. David Krejčí (hokej) 376, 14. Martin Staszko (poker) 187, 15. Roman Kreuziger (cyklistika) 158), 16. Petr Jiráček (fotbal) 139, 17. Lukáš Bauer (běh na lyžích) 119, 18. Lukáš Krpálek (judo) 117, 19. Pavel Horváth (fotbal) 87, 20. Lukáš Konečný (box) 71, 21. Ondřej Bank (sjezdové lyžování) 66, 22. Jan Veselý (basketbal) 62, 23. Karel Abraham (motorismus) 59, 24. David Kostelecký (střelba) 59, 25. Květa Peschkeová (tenis) 59, 26. Denisa Rosolová (atletika) 51, 27. Jan Štokr (volejbal) 49, 28. Petr Svoboda (atletika) 48, 29. Jaroslav Bába (atletika) 42, 30. Hana Horáková (basketbal) 39.
The winners since 2000:
2000 - Jan Železný (atletika - oštěp) a hokejisté ČR
2001 - Jan Železný (atletika - oštěp) a hokejisté ČR
2002 - Aleš Valenta (akrobatické lyžování) a fotbalisté ČR do 21 let
2003 - Pavel Nedvěd (fotbal) a fotbalisté ČR
2004 - Roman Šebrle (atletika) a fotbalisté ČR
2005 - Jaromír Jágr (lední hokej) a hokejisté ČR
2006 - Kateřina Neumannová (běh na lyžích) a hokejisté ČR
2007 - Martina Sáblíková (rychlobruslení) a fotbalisté ČR do 20 let
2008 - Barbora Špotáková (atletika - oštěp) a fotbalisté Slavie
2009 - Martina Sáblíková (rychlobruslení) a tenisté ČR
2010 - Martina Sáblíková (rychlobruslení) a hokejisté ČR