Sheriff Shanny

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Sheriff Shanny

Post by Malkamaniac »

I don't think you can suspend/fine that. At the point of contact and the whole way up Ovie wasn't looking at him. It was explained as much.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

BS , OV skated in closer to him and to think he didn't have him in his peripheral vision you are crazy. OV was not surprised at all that he made contact with him. I know if I am skating and hit something with my stick that I don't think is there the first thing I am going to do is at least glace and see what I hit. When skating with your stick you don't curl your wrists back to point the edge of your stick out like that, the point of the blade is normal pointing straight up, so if you hit someone behind you it should be with the flat part of the blade, unless your PK Subban, he is reckless in just about everything he does.

OV is one of the dirtiest players in the game, he does this kind of stuff all the time, not to mention his charging on almost every hit he gives out.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Malkamaniac wrote:I don't think you can suspend/fine that. At the point of contact and the whole way up Ovie wasn't looking at him. It was explained as much.
Totally agree you can't fine that. That being said, it speaks to Ovechkin's character.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Malkamaniac wrote:I don't think you can suspend/fine that. At the point of contact and the whole way up Ovie wasn't looking at him. It was explained as much.
if you act on neal, you have to act on ovechkin
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

shmenguin wrote:
if you act on neal, you have to act on ovechkin
The flip side of the coin. Like you said, I don't think either should have been fined, but if you are going to act on Neal, come on.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

shafnutz05 wrote:
Totally agree you can't fine that. That being said, it speaks to Ovechkin's character.
Maybe so. But I put it in the category of "We (Shanny/NHL) believe the player when he swears to us he didn't mean to do that." - when it is apparent the player is playing the league for a fool.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Sarcastic wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
Maybe so. But I put it in the category of "We (Shanny/NHL) believe the player when he swears to us he didn't mean to do that." - when it is apparent the player is playing the league for a fool.
i think in this case, he was just avoiding having to suspend him. after the garbage with letang, where he got 2 games because some anonymous thing he did last year made him a "repeat offender", you'd have to give ovechkin the same treatment here. or give him nothing. it's safer to do nothing - so there you go.

he's painted himself into a corner with some of these decisions. it wouldn't be a bad thing if he just acted honestly, but since he's not capable, these little corners he's in are biting him in the butt
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Sarcastic wrote:Ovechkin so meant to do that. You can see the 2 swinging motions. The second one is deeper and looks deliberate to gain more power for the hit - while trying to disguise it as an accident. I've always liked Shanny, but he makes himself seem so incompetent.

[youtube][/youtube]
Great hit by Neal on OV right there. I wish more players did that...Nice clean hard hit...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

bhaw wrote:Apparently a hearing for Porter for kneeing Booth as well.

Great job Shanny. Instead of imposing punishment to curtail all this stuff, it's actually happening in droves because you refuse to actually be consistent.
Booth out 6-8 weeks; Porter gone for 4 games.
#logic
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

What a dirtbag play by Ovechkin. Who the hell skates with both hands on their stick, swinging it back and forth like a madman, and has their stick blade facing backwards? It was such an awkward motion that I think he had to do it on purpose. Should have been equal to Neal's fine.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Staggy wrote:What a dirtbag play by Ovechkin. Who the hell skates with both hands on their stick, swinging it back and forth like a madman, and has their stick blade facing backwards? It was such an awkward motion that I think he had to do it on purpose. Should have been equal to Neal's fine.
you can't fine him under shanahan's system. it's suspension or bust
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

At this point, I'm just going to say it... Shanny is a doosh.

If your explanation is that it's accidental, you are a freaking coward. At least Campbell factored what just happened into this stuff. I'm sure it's just coincidence that the guy who just nailed AO got hit with a random spear.

And if you didn't fine Neal for the same carelessness, it's not an issue.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penmyst »

bhaw wrote:At this point, I'm just going to say it... Shanny is a doosh.

If your explanation is that it's accidental, you are a freaking coward. At least Campbell factored what just happened into this stuff. I'm sure it's just coincidence that the guy who just nailed AO got hit with a random spear.

And if you didn't fine Neal for the same carelessness, it's not an issue.
Why, if you factor in what just happened leading into the infraction, it might cause you to get the call right. Or at the least, you couldn't sell the "I believe it was an accident" horse puck.

Why can't this league get beyond the garage? :face:
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pugilist13 »

Never thought anyone could do a poorer job than Soupy Campbell. Maybe this job should not be trusted with a former player. I was always of the mindset that nobody should hand out discipline unless "you've been there and done that." Maybe that just clouds their judgement.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

pugilist13 wrote:Never thought anyone could do a poorer job than Soupy Campbell. Maybe this job should not be trusted with a former player. I was always of the mindset that nobody should hand out discipline unless "you've been there and done that." Maybe that just clouds their judgement.
I think it absolutely makes them biased towards what they would have done in the situation. Shanny is probably thinking that Stamkos was justified taking a cheap punch on someone because that would have pissed him off too. To any normal person you see that and see garbage move by Stamkos.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Ovie's tactic reminds me of the Steckel hit. Hide your intentions and you get away with it...
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penmyst »

pcm wrote:Ovie's tactic reminds me of the Steckel hit. Hide your intentions and you get away with it...
Which is why getting into the mind-reading of "intentional or accidental" starts to really muddy the waters. It's such a nebulous criterion that it allows for a wide range of interpretation.

A certain amount of consideration needs to be given to intention. That IS true. But if the league expects any players to start taking these policies seriously, it is paramount to start taking a hard-line stance of PROTECTING PLAYERS FROM INJURIES DUE TO DANGEROUS PLAYS.

It is nearly every single night that we see guys being cheapshotted to the head, or other dangerous head incidents.

I don't know about you, but I was under the impression from what the league has been braying about for the last season or so, that the NHL wanted to clean this garbage up? It sure doesn't seem to be lessening, does it? In fact, it almost seems as if concussions are becoming quite the rage. Maybe that is just my Pens' colored perspective speaking, since we have an awful lot of Penguins out with concussions right now. Several (Letang, Bortuzzo, and Crosby due to the Steckel assault last year) due to the EXACT sorts of hits the league was supposedly looking to stop.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

penmyst wrote:
pcm wrote:Ovie's tactic reminds me of the Steckel hit. Hide your intentions and you get away with it...
Which is why getting into the mind-reading of "intentional or accidental" starts to really muddy the waters. It's such a nebulous criterion that it allows for a wide range of interpretation.

A certain amount of consideration needs to be given to intention. That IS true. But if the league expects any players to start taking these policies seriously, it is paramount to start taking a hard-line stance of PROTECTING PLAYERS FROM INJURIES DUE TO DANGEROUS PLAYS.

It is nearly every single night that we see guys being cheapshotted to the head, or other dangerous head incidents.

I don't know about you, but I was under the impression from what the league has been braying about for the last season or so, that the NHL wanted to clean this garbage up? It sure doesn't seem to be lessening, does it? In fact, it almost seems as if concussions are becoming quite the rage. Maybe that is just my Pens' colored perspective speaking, since we have an awful lot of Penguins out with concussions right now. Several (Letang, Bortuzzo, and Crosby due to the Steckel assault last year) due to the EXACT sorts of hits the league was supposedly looking to stop.
You have to take into account it seems as though Shanny is pretty much turning a blind eye to anything that happens to the Pens, save the Moreau-Kunitz boarding fine and Pacioretty-Letang.

Cooke gets hit in the head twice. Bortuzzo receives a blindside elbow (which was actually called as interference in the game). Neither of these were even as much as looked at. It's a double standard, and it's starting to become evident.

I wish I could say "give him some time" like I tried to do after the 1st and 2nd Cooke hits, but now it's to the point where I don't trust his judgement.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penmyst »

MRandall25 wrote:
I wish I could say "give him some time" like I tried to do after the 1st and 2nd Cooke hits, but now it's to the point where I don't trust his judgement.
You, me, the rest of the fans, players, coaches, owners.

That's the problem with inconsistency and lack of conviction. There IS not trustworthiness in the disciplinary process. No understanding can be achieved that if I do <X> then <Y> will be the result. It varies.

Wasn't that exactly why everybody hated Campbell?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Marchand just fined today for his slew foot on Niskanen.
kausatoday Kevin Allen
Bruins' Brad Marchand fined $2,500 for slew-footing Penguins' Matt Niskanen.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

No word from the league office on the Malkin-Giroux incident?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

ExPatriatePen wrote:No word from the league office on the Malkin-Giroux incident?
I hate how it's impossible to detect sarcasm on the internet. I'll assume you're not being serious, but if you're not, unless someone is swinging their stick at someone and misses, I can't remember the last time (if ever) someone got suspended for intent alone (if that can even be judged in this case). Talk about a way overblown "incident."
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

meecrofilm wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:No word from the league office on the Malkin-Giroux incident?
I hate how it's impossible to detect sarcasm on the internet. I'll assume you're not being serious, but if you're not, unless someone is swinging their stick at someone and misses, I can't remember the last time (if ever) someone got suspended for intent alone (if that can even be judged in this case). Talk about a way overblown "incident."
Garrett Stafford?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Well, there ya go. Like I said, I couldn't remember :P
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I'd be more surprised if they actually said something about the Rinaldo hit.