What happened to Ovechkin?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: What happened to Ovechkin?

Post by penmyst »

Guinness wrote:
doublem wrote:So I guess that moron Steigerwald (John) accused AO of doing steroids and Greg Wyshynski Dmitry Chesnokov just destroyed him on the air. good. also.
wyshynski Greg Wyshynski
Lambert and I both did a search for Ovechkin's links to that steroid doctor. We found none outside of Pens messages boards.
:pop:
Wow! A search? Case closed, eh!? :lol:
I was agreeing with you Guinness. I was being sarcastic as well. :lol:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

:lol: Okay - I got confused because you didn't include the text of my post... :thumb:
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

Staggy wrote:
Draftnik wrote:
Staggy wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Ovie scored 65 goals in 82 games in 07/08, a goals per game rate of .59:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players ... hal01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sid scored 32 goals in 41 games in 10/11, a goals per game rate of .64:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players ... bsi01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is off topic, I'm just curious how you got those goals per game rates. Don't you just divide goals scored by games played? Like wouldn't 32 goals in 41 games would be a goals per game rate of .78? Maybe I'm doing this wrong.
I looked at the wrong columns in the "NHL Miscellaneous" sections of their stats. I used the "GC" column instead of the "G" column. My mistake.
Not a big deal, I was just like damn have I been doing this wrong all this time haha
I'm surprised I didn't catch it. Its easy to see 32 in 41 is obviously over .75 (3 in 4). :oops: :? :shock: :face:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

I think that steroids are as good an explanation as any. What he displays are classic symptoms of someone being unable to equal their performance while enhanced. And as long as these drugs have existed, athletes have founds ways to trick testers. I am not going to put any value in the fact he passed whatever tests he was given. Ovechkin was such a powerful skater, hitter, and just overall player that was so far above everyone else in the league that I would not be surprised at all if he was on something. That's all I'm saying.

As far as why he would suddenly stop? Maybe he just got scared of getting caught and ruining his name or there was some medical issue. We can speculate all day.

He could have also simply burnt out. I remember saying several years ago when he was still hot and everyone was debating who is better, he or Sid, that he will not be able to sustain that level of play for more than several years (and why I predicted Sid having a better career because he is as smart as he is talented - OV seems to have had only the physical factor). That's a definite possibility. And I don't think it has anything to do with his desire or anything like that because the guy wants to win and be the best as much as Sid does. He's just unable to.

Teams finding ways to slow him down are also a good point. It was apparent before the Olympics and during. I kept saying it. His one trick of going down the side, then cutting to the middle to get off a shot either through a defender or past him was too easy. Just get in his face, tie him up, and don't let him shoot. Get him frustrated. Thing is that before he would simply go right through people. He was that strong and that fast. Now he can't and there has to be some reason.

So. Who knows. I am not going into the discussion between the two reporters because I don't know Steigy's brother at all and I don't really like Puck Daddy's articles/opinions very much.
crokin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by crokin »

MarkMaddenX wrote:Again, don't dismiss John's point. There's visual evidence to suggest he's right.
But the only thing that really counts is flunking a test. Ovie never has. Then again, neither did Barry.
The Staggy-Lambert thing was amateur hour. Everybody sounded STUPID. "Crosby is a vampire." Does anybody think that's even a little bit funny? I don't. Then again, I'm not 11.
Is John Steigerwald related to Paul?
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

They're brothers. There's another brother that I think is a musician.

Anyways I think that a lot more athletes juice or use PEDs than people think. As long as companies like BALCO are out there developing products there are companies out there making masking agents.

Seriously look at the heads of certain NFL players. The squared jaw, high cheek bones, and high forehead are all easy indicators of steroid use. Your head almost starts to look equine.

Ovie has a gigantic pumpkin head.

Sports (pro) have testing cycles during the year and some don't so depending on off season conditioning and knowing when cycles take place it would be relatively easy to cheat and I'd say more athletes do it than just the few people in a few sports that got caught.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

Haven't seen much of the Caps this year but judging from highlights his speed and explosiveness is still there. I'm totally into the one trick pony theory. As many have said, the league's adjusted to him. And on the chances he does create he doesn't seem to be burying the same percentage as he used to.
crokin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by crokin »

jimjom wrote:They're brothers. There's another brother that I think is a musician.

Anyways I think that a lot more athletes juice or use PEDs than people think. As long as companies like BALCO are out there developing products there are companies out there making masking agents.

Seriously look at the heads of certain NFL players. The squared jaw, high cheek bones, and high forehead are all easy indicators of steroid use. Your head almost starts to look equine.

Ovie has a gigantic pumpkin head.

Sports (pro) have testing cycles during the year and some don't so depending on off season conditioning and knowing when cycles take place it would be relatively easy to cheat and I'd say more athletes do it than just the few people in a few sports that got caught.
I see Tim Tebow (and I am not a hater) and I just can't believe that is natural. Guy is huge.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

How can you not hate Tim Tebow? :lol:
crokin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by crokin »

because he beat the Jets (who I hate)!
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Tim Tebow is definitely a juicer. Look at his jawline and receding hair at age 24
crokin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by crokin »

U serious?
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

I could see it. I said when he was drafted he should have converted to a TE
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

jimjom wrote:Tim Tebow is definitely a juicer. Look at his jawline and receding hair at age 24
Getzlaf?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

This thread took an unsuspected turn. :lol:
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

jimjom wrote:Tim Tebow is definitely a juicer. Look at his jawline and receding hair at age 24
My jaw and hairline at 24 were in similar shape and I'm the furthest thing from a juicer. I think the kid/guy/whatever you want to call him just works hard in the gym. If his melon is two sizes bigger in 7 years (Bonds), then you're onto something.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

count2infinity wrote:How can you not hate Tim Tebow? :lol:
lolol
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

i know a guy who was damn near bald at 21, and he definitely wasnt juicing.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

MRandall25 wrote:
Getzlaf?
Sorry I turned the thread. I just think he may be juicing. I was giving characteristics about steroid use.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mongoose87 »

My hair's receding at 24. Should I start juicing?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Mongoose87 wrote:
apparently, you should STOP juicing
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mongoose87 »

Froggy wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:
apparently, you should STOP juicing
But, if I'm receding without juicing, should I just run with it and juice?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Just get one of these:

jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Guys going bald: juice. Receding: don't juice just yet.

Just my advice.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

Something to consider is that some use the word "epidemic" in reference to steroid use by high school students; not only for athletics, but perhaps primarily for vanity.

Cheaters are all around us -- and like many other aspects of society, they undoubtedly dominate most professional sports, one way or another. It's not a coincidence that most professional athletes are complete ******* these days.

Personally, I question how badly leagues actually want to solve this issue. The sheer number of MLB star players and other team personnel proven to be involved in PED use makes it impossible for me to believe that the league hadn't been acutely aware of the issue for decades. I don't doubt that other leagues cover it up to the best of their ability.

Chances are, we'd all be massively disappointed if all PED use was exposed.

Let's just assume that all players are/were on PEDs. Back to Ovechkin:

He's now listed as 230+ pounds. When he came into the league, I believe he was around 210 and when he was scoring most of his goals he was 220 or under. While he moves very quickly for a player his size, he is understandably slower at 26 years of age and 230 lbs than he was at 22 and 215 lbs.

I think that his decline in production can be attributed to weight gain, age, playing more within a system, and failing to develop as a player; in addition to external factors such as greater athleticism in the NHL. No need to speculate further, really.

If he is on PEDs, maybe the problem isn't being off them; but instead becoming too large as as result of them.
Last edited by Desiato on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.