Sheriff Shanny

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Sheriff Shanny

Post by bhaw »

As has been stated by others before. Injury should factor into the length but be independent of whether it's a punishable hit. It's either legal or illegal. What the player was thinking and how badly the player got injured are just factors to determine discipline, not legality. It would be like disallowing a goal redirected off a skate because you determine the player would have wanted to kick it had he had the opportunity.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

need MOAR technology. anyone ever seen "deadliest warrior"? they have sensors in everything they use weapons against to determine the killing power of a certain weapon. they measure the impacts of anything that touches them. put them in the helmets, and if a player receives a hit to the head, the data in the helmet can be used to see for certain that it was a headshot. hell, they could even set a pounds per square inch limit for the punishments they give out.

just my crazy idea.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

bhaw wrote:As has been stated by others before. Injury should factor into the length but be independent of whether it's a punishable hit. It's either legal or illegal. What the player was thinking and how badly the player got injured are just factors to determine discipline, not legality. It would be like disallowing a goal redirected off a skate because you determine the player would have wanted to kick it had he had the opportunity.
:fist:
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Kaizer wrote:need MOAR technology. anyone ever seen "deadliest warrior"? they have sensors in everything they use weapons against to determine the killing power of a certain weapon. they measure the impacts of anything that touches them. put them in the helmets, and if a player receives a hit to the head, the data in the helmet can be used to see for certain that it was a headshot. hell, they could even set a pounds per square inch limit for the punishments they give out.

just my crazy idea.
:lol: That is crazy, but that doesn't make it any less of a good idea.
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by jimreb »

Like the original poster's proposal....and I think the NHL would too...unfortunately, the NHLPA would never go for players losing that kind of money....somehow they got it negotiated already that the top fine is $2500
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

jimreb wrote:Like the original poster's proposal....and I think the NHL would too...unfortunately, the NHLPA would never go for players losing that kind of money....somehow they got it negotiated already that the top fine is $2500
But it goes to members of the PA, doesn't it?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Tootoo and Fistric both have hearings today.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Tootoo should absolutely not receive ANY supplementary discipline. There are dozens of plays just like that (or worse) over the course of a season. If he does get fined or suspended, it's just Sheriff Shanny succumbing to media pressure and that's just embarrassing.

Fistric should probably get a pretty hefty suspension, his hit was brutal. 5 games i hope.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

First time I watched the Fistric hit... pretty disgusting, although it's a textbook Kronwall hit.

EDIT: How do the refs only assess 2 min to Fistric and 4 to Martin on that play? The refs are becoming worse and worse literally every day.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

bhaw wrote:First time I watched the Fistric hit... pretty disgusting, although it's a textbook Kronwall hit.

EDIT: How do the refs only assess 2 min to Fistric and 4 to Martin on that play? The refs are becoming worse and worse literally every day.
:shock: I just watched that; that's pretty bad.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

tootoo get's 2 games

:face:

good christ, is every decision by shanahan now a public relations move?
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Malkamaniac wrote:I think there's too much logic in the above post for anyone at the NHL Headquarters to take serious understand.

Fixt :pop:
drtofu66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by drtofu66 »

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
bhaw wrote:First time I watched the Fistric hit... pretty disgusting, although it's a textbook Kronwall hit.

:shock: I just watched that; that's pretty bad.
Agree with bhaw's comment, though I would have bolded the "it's a textbook Kronwall hit" part instead of the first part of the sentence.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

stopper40 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:I think there's too much logic in the above post for anyone at the NHL Headquarters to take serious understand.

Fixt :pop:
lol works for me.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

shmenguin wrote:tootoo get's 2 games

:face:

good christ, is every decision by shanahan now a public relations move?
I agreed with his reasoning.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

all from last night...

sutton charging poni
http://video.thescore.com/watch/sutton- ... nikarovsky" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rough boarding incident on gerbe
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

blatant elbow from leino
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...and the spear from ovechkin (which wasn't bad, but still a spear)

this new random wheel of public relations justice is really working
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

The Sutton charging is awesome because after the last hit he got a suspension for he made a release about being an honorable and respectable player. Herp Derp.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I['m late to the party, but the fines as outlined in the OP are against the CBA, are they not? I thought I read somewhere that the max fine for anything on-ice was $2500.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Malkamaniac wrote:The Sutton charging is awesome because after the last hit he got a suspension for he made a release about being an honorable and respectable player. Herp Derp.
So you're an expert?
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

mac5155 wrote:I['m late to the party, but the fines as outlined in the OP are against the CBA, are they not? I thought I read somewhere that the max fine for anything on-ice was $2500.
Yes they are, it was a proposed change to make the fines actually mean something.
comatose
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by comatose »

The only difference between Campbell and Shanahan is that we now get a 5 minute video explanation/analysis for why they are making a ridiculous decision.

Kind of like how some of the NFL refs feel the need to give a 90 second monologue about the receiver's left ass cheek hitting out of bounds before the ball came loose on the 39 1/3 yard line.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

comatose wrote:The only difference between Campbell and Shanahan is that we now get a 5 minute video explanation/analysis for why they are making a ridiculous decision.

Kind of like how some of the NFL refs feel the need to give a 90 second monologue about the receiver's left ass cheek hitting out of bounds before the ball came loose on the 39 1/3 yard line.
I actually like that about the NFL
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Apparently a hearing for Porter for kneeing Booth as well.

Great job Shanny. Instead of imposing punishment to curtail all this stuff, it's actually happening in droves because you refuse to actually be consistent.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

-so ovechkin (a repeat offender) does something illegal with his stick that causes no harm, but still is indicative of carelessness and is potentially dangerous. no games. no fine.
-james neal (a first timer) does something illegal with his stick that causes no harm, but still is indicative of carelessness and is potentially dangerous. gets fined.

...i don't think either play should be cause for league action, but the discrepancy is disturbing.

it's now an irrefutable fact that shanahan is a joke. it's boiling down to, "who did you hit, who do they play for and how is the media treating it?" when doling out punishment. neal gets fined because montreal got screwed over in OT and they have an ornery fan base. ovechkin gets nothing because the letang precedent shows that it would have to be a 2 game suspension - so he chooses nothing instead. matt cooke gets elbowed in the head, but nothing happens to carlson because it was matt cooke, and it was at the buzzer so most people didn't even see a replay. sutton becomes the new face of league discipline, so he get's the matt cooke cautionary tale treatment; which means once he's suspended for infinity games, other guys will be able to do what they want since the NHL wants to show the system is working and will be reluctant to suspend people.

it's getting really, really aggravating. i had low hopes for anyone they hired, but i didn't expect it to get this bad, this quick.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Ovechkin so meant to do that. You can see the 2 swinging motions. The second one is deeper and looks deliberate to gain more power for the hit - while trying to disguise it as an accident. I've always liked Shanny, but he makes himself seem so incompetent.

[youtube][/youtube]