What happened to Ovechkin?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
MarkMaddenX

Re: What happened to Ovechkin?

Post by MarkMaddenX »

Again, don't dismiss John's point. There's visual evidence to suggest he's right.
But the only thing that really counts is flunking a test. Ovie never has. Then again, neither did Barry.
The Staggy-Lambert thing was amateur hour. Everybody sounded STUPID. "Crosby is a vampire." Does anybody think that's even a little bit funny? I don't. Then again, I'm not 11.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

It did sound like amateur hour. I do agree with that.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

comatose wrote:
JS© wrote:Lambert didn't come on the show to discuss accusations of his brother being a homer. I know he wrote about it and even gave one answer that should have been ample evidence. I'm sure if that's what the interview was about, he could have came in with youtube clips, quotes, etc. It was kind of a blindsiding (in my opinion.)
If you make a personal attack on someone's brother in an article, you should expect that you will talk about it during an interview with that person. The "homer" part isn't a personal attack, but calling him "loathsome" is.

I'm not defending John in any way. But I'm tired of bloggers thinking they can just say anything and get away with it. He sounded like a fool in the interview, just as John did.
I'm not disagreeing with you. But there's a different between answering for a "loathesome" comment and spending the first 6 minutes babbling about your brother and not the topic at hand. Those two could have hashed out the other crap off air.

You're right though. Nobody was a winner in this interview. JohnSteigy went from digging himself a hole to digging himself an even deeper hole, and Lambert came off sounding like he had a few decent points but couldn't wander off his script.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

crap, images disappeared.

please delete
Last edited by JS© on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

Bonds never failed a drug test because the cream and clear from BALCO were undetectable until Marion Jones' coach anonymously sent samples to the USADA (our equivalent of WADA).

If Ovie is taking some undetectable substance as alleged, why would he stop?

There have been no new cases of athletes getting busted for a new breed of steroids and/or HGH. There is no logical reason Ovie would stop juicing if he couldn't be caught.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Where is the Ovechkin "gut" picture?
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Draftnik wrote:Ovie scored 65 goals in 82 games in 07/08, a goals per game rate of .59:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players ... hal01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sid scored 32 goals in 41 games in 10/11, a goals per game rate of .64:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players ... bsi01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is off topic, I'm just curious how you got those goals per game rates. Don't you just divide goals scored by games played? Like wouldn't 32 goals in 41 games would be a goals per game rate of .78? Maybe I'm doing this wrong.
Wrangler98
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wrangler98 »

Staggy wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Ovie scored 65 goals in 82 games in 07/08, a goals per game rate of .59:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players ... hal01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players ... bsi01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is off topic, I'm just curious how you got those goals per game rates. Don't you just divide goals scored by games played? Like wouldn't 32 goals in 41 games would be a goals per game rate of .78? Maybe I'm doing this wrong.
I think you're right.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Pavel Bure wrote:Holy **** this radio thing is hilarious. Old man Steigy sounds like such a grumpy old guy. "How long have you been covering sports? How old are you?" LMAO. He sounds so foolish.

Amazing...i didn't know what to expect, but Steigerwald attacking Lambert for calling him a homer and equating Lambert's statement that he's a homer to his own statement of Ovechkin being a roider. It's really priceless.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

PR stunt.
MarkMaddenX

Post by MarkMaddenX »

PR stunt for who? Who gained by that mess?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I never knew that the Observer existed until Steigerwald starting writing these ridiculous columns.

I'm sure it doesn't gain much, but I bet a lot of people never realized that Washington County had their own Newspaper till Steigerwald.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penmyst »

Malkamaniac wrote:Twice now he's made national news in unfriendly terms.

It's reckless and irresponsible journalism.
The first time wasn't his fault. It was the fault of people, much like Puck Daddy, that can't read.
Guinness wrote:
doublem wrote:So I guess that moron Steigerwald (John) accused AO of doing steroids and Greg Wyshynski Dmitry Chesnokov just destroyed him on the air. good. also.
comatose wrote:Hopefully he learns from this and Puck Daddy starts publishing actual content instead of angsty garbage with nothing to back it up.
Why, you are just out to kill internet blogging aren't you?

I mean, they do a lot of "backing it up". They do "searches" like Guinness said. lol Case. Closed.
DocEmrick wrote:60+ goals in an impossible-to-score-60 NHL, to next to nothing is still the most epic drop off of all time. ALL TIME
Precisely, Doc. This is a guy that was lighting the NHL on fire in an era with lots of wet blankets. Now all of a sudden, the "systems" and "work rate" (that were there when Ovechkin was bagging 60+) are stopping him?

Curious.

All of this hubbub isn't surprising. Laraque's suggestion about roiding, which he as a player was most likely quite privy to, caused the wagons to be circled by the NHL pollyannas (teams, media, fans alike).

Steigerwald is drawing their fire now.

I imagine it would take congressional investigations and irrefutable proof before we could get half the sports media to even acknowledge something "might" have happened. It would all turn out just like the MLB roid era. It's not easy to get answers about these things, especially when the teams and league are colluding with the players to hide it.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I really don't get the backlash against Steigerwald, the article is in something called the Observer Reporter. If you write for a podunk paper like that, your allowed to say whatever you want, just like that fat loser in Grove City who wrote that stupid article last week.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

Staggy wrote:This is off topic, I'm just curious how you got those goals per game rates. Don't you just divide goals scored by games played? Like wouldn't 32 goals in 41 games would be a goals per game rate of .78? Maybe I'm doing this wrong.
65 goals in 82 games = .79 goals per game
32 goals in 41 games = .78 goals per game

I accept that a variety of PEDs are prevalent in professional sports and the probability is that at least some of the players I'm a fan of are on something. I've read that there are a lot of different strategies used to avoid detection, generally involving scheduling; certain substances during off-season windows, perhaps other grey-area or practically undetectable substances during the season. There are holes in NHL testing and most players do not play internationally.

I'm probably as cynical as John Steigerwald but I keep my opinions on that subject to myself until they can be proven. It's just too easy to assume that any standout performance is somehow the result of cheating or deception -- in any environment, at any level. To some people, every muscular person is on steroids, and every slim girl has an eating disorder; especially the ones they don't like.

Lost in the steroid and hgh hype is the epidemic of uppers such as amphetamines and other pharmaceuticals which are allegedly abused at a high rate in the nhl. I've noticed quite a few players with dilated pupils and twitchy heads over the years -- especially certain players known to be clutch in late in games.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

They say fighters use pain killers on a regular basis before hitting the ice and watching the shots some of these guys take and that they are still on their feet and throwing fists makes me think that rumor is true. No way someone can absorb a lot of those shots if there isn't something helping them.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Looking a big big in this one.

ok seriously hear is one.

not to flattering.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

To be fair he's not sitting in the most flattering position in that pic, though he could be in better shape considering how much he's paid to be an athlete. His mom's cooking is probably awesome.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

OV could be doing a lot worse:

Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Daniel87 »

Seemed to have that "burst" in his goal tonight.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

Staggy wrote:

I looked at the wrong columns in the "NHL Miscellaneous" sections of their stats. I used the "GC" column instead of the "G" column. My mistake.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Draftnik wrote:
Staggy wrote:

I looked at the wrong columns in the "NHL Miscellaneous" sections of their stats. I used the "GC" column instead of the "G" column. My mistake.
Not a big deal, I was just like damn have I been doing this wrong all this time haha
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

penmyst wrote: Why, you are just out to kill internet blogging aren't you?

I mean, they do a lot of "backing it up". They do "searches" like Guinness said. lol Case. Closed.
Wait, what?
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

Guinness wrote:
penmyst wrote: Why, you are just out to kill internet blogging aren't you?

Fyp 8-)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

:lol:

Thanks - much better!