LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: LGP Science Thread

Post by Willie Kool »

eddysnake wrote:
This image of the Crab Nebula combines visible light (green) and radio waves (red) emitted by the remnants of a cataclysmic supernova explosion in the year 1054, and the X-ray nebula (blue) created inside the optical nebula by a neutron star (the collapsed core of the massive star destroyed in the explosion).
Not really sure what this all means, but that's pretty spectacular.
The reds and blues in that image are outside the visible spectrum and therefore not visible to the human eye.
eddysnake wrote:I'm trying to picture what something like that would look like by the naked eye here on earth. Does it look like the picture?
If you mean what does it look like in visible light -

Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

columbia wrote:Faster-than-Light Neutrino Puzzle Claimed Solved by Special Relativity
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/ar ... 0/?ref=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In this case, there are two frames of reference: the experiment on the ground and the clocks in orbit. If these are moving relative to each other, then this needs to be factored in...
If it stands up, this episode will be laden with irony. Far from breaking Einstein's theory of relatively, the faster-than-light measurement will turn out to be another confirmation of it.
Makes sense - I can see how they could overlook that.
Einstein = VINDICATED
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Indeed.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ILikeTurtles »

[youtube][/youtube]
:shock:
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

TIL: Fossils aren't bones.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

ILikeTurtles wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
gnarly, totally gnarly
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

I thought it would be more appropriate to respond to this here.
guiner wrote:
Perhaps you should listen to one of the greatest minds of our time, Richard Feynman. The state of "science" these days is junk. When you understand the stict nature of the scientific method and you see the scientific claims made these days its frankly disgusting.

[youtube][/youtube]
Maybe if the media would stop promoting things that have not been peer-reviewed or even researched then the science world would be a better place. I will watch the news and being a chem major just laugh at the new inventions that are supposed to revolutionize alternative energy, that violate basic laws of chemistry, or use more energy then they produce. But then peer-reviewed innovations in science journals get no play in the media. It's frustrating.

http://pesn.com/2011/10/28/9501940_1_MW ... uccessful/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not sure if anyone discussed this in here yet, but this cold fusion "discovery" if true would revolutionize the alternative energy. People are getting very excited about it outside of the science community (due to media coverage in forbes and such) but the scientific community is very skeptical. I want to look into this more, but this is one of those things that is too good to be true and needs to be peer-reviewed.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

ILikeTurtles wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
i make that stuff in my lab.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

‘Nova’ series tours the edge of modern physics
“Fabric of the Cosmos” takes us on a fantastic tour in a new, four-part series
http://articles.boston.com/2011-11-02/a ... ggs-cosmos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I recorded part I this week and definitely looking forward to seeing the whole series.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by guiner »

obhave wrote:I thought it would be more appropriate to respond to this here.
guiner wrote:
Perhaps you should listen to one of the greatest minds of our time, Richard Feynman. The state of "science" these days is junk. When you understand the stict nature of the scientific method and you see the scientific claims made these days its frankly disgusting.

[youtube][/youtube]
Maybe if the media would stop promoting things that have not been peer-reviewed or even researched then the science world would be a better place. I will watch the news and being a chem major just laugh at the new inventions that are supposed to revolutionize alternative energy, that violate basic laws of chemistry, or use more energy then they produce. But then peer-reviewed innovations in science journals get no play in the media. It's frustrating.

http://pesn.com/2011/10/28/9501940_1_MW ... uccessful/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not sure if anyone discussed this in here yet, but this cold fusion "discovery" if true would revolutionize the alternative energy. People are getting very excited about it outside of the science community (due to media coverage in forbes and such) but the scientific community is very skeptical. I want to look into this more, but this is one of those things that is too good to be true and needs to be peer-reviewed.
If you are actively observing the anthropogenic global warming debate you might be inclined to think that the peer-reviewed process is not even reliable anymore. Its was a big part of the climategate scandal, climate scientists actively talking about subverting the process. Skeptics call it "pal-review"

Over at wattsupwiththat.com (a top science/skeptic blog) they are posting supposedly peer-reviewed research in support of AGW that is absolutely absurd. Making claims about species modification or behavior based upon 10-30 years of temperature change (which is fractions of degrees, man-made or not, its trivial) How can one have a clue as to causation given the countless variables in play in a living system. Here is just one recent example...

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/10/31/t ... te-change/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I mean really, the only reason why birds are getting bigger is because of climate change? How about food supply? In 27-40 years you are in the timeframe of normal cycling of the PDO, perhaps in this timeframe they'll shrink again as we go la nina predominant? It boggles my mind except for the fact that giving ammunition to the politicization of global warming is rewarding not only professionally, but monetarily.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

guiner wrote:If you are actively observing the anthropogenic global warming debate you might be inclined to think that the peer-reviewed process is not even reliable anymore. Its was a big part of the climategate scandal, climate scientists actively talking about subverting the process. Skeptics call it "pal-review"

Over at wattsupwiththat.com (a top science/skeptic blog) they are posting supposedly peer-reviewed research in support of AGW that is absolutely absurd. Making claims about species modification or behavior based upon 10-30 years of temperature change (which is fractions of degrees, man-made or not, its trivial) How can one have a clue as to causation given the countless variables in play in a living system. Here is just one recent example...

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/10/31/t ... te-change/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I mean really, the only reason why birds are getting bigger is because of climate change? How about food supply? In 27-40 years you are in the timeframe of normal cycling of the PDO, perhaps in this timeframe they'll shrink again as we go la nina predominant? It boggles my mind except for the fact that giving ammunition to the politicization of global warming is rewarding not only professionally, but monetarily.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climategate was proved to be BS, but many people still cite it. I actually do chemistry research in climate change and can tell you a significant about why all the skeptic claims from the past 20 years are wrong and what needs to be improved, but the time it would take is too much for me at the moment (might send along a PM eventually). As to the newer claims made by scientists (birds, etc) I can't say much about that. Much of the basic stuff on climate change is correct, but yeah people are now using it to explain everything just to get research money. I will check out that blog though, thanks.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/11/ ... =obnetwork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/ ... ting-real/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2 weapons the navy is working on
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

new particles!

http://news.yahoo.com/physics-atom-smas ... 12931.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Want to live to 500? The oldest worms were 84 days old - equivalent to 480 years for us. :shock:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Ted_Di ... d=14973527
Roundworms are elderly and wrinkled at 10 days and by the time they reach two weeks, they're dead. Kenyon found that by masking the DNA's daf-2 gene, her team could extend the roundworms' lives sixfold.

"You have something you never thought was possible," Kenyon told ABC News. "These worms should be dead, a long time ago. ... But they're not dead. They're moving. They're young."

Kenyon said that the daf-2 gene might also affect human lifespan. Though she said more research needed to be done, one study showed that people who lived to 100 were more likely than others to carry mutations in the gene.

Kenyon said it was possible that youth-boosting drugs could be 15 years away.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

According to the EU, water doesn't prevent dehydration.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ation.html
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Stephen Colbert interviewing Neil Degrasse Tyson. It's very long, and i've only watched some of it, but i'm enjoying it thus far.

[youtube][/youtube]
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

stopper40 wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/11/ ... =obnetwork

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/ ... ting-real/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2 weapons the navy is working on
They're getting close to particle weaponry, but the hardware required right now is to large to be put into practical application.
ShaPe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ShaPe »

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/man-arr ... -49305387/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Police said Mr Cole, who was wearing a bow tie and rather too much tweed for his age, would not reveal his country of origin. "Countries do not exist where I am from. The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power, the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone. It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."
:lol:
Mr Cole was taken to a secure mental health facility in Geneva but later disappeared from his cell. Police are baffled, but not that bothered.
:scared:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

^I am inclined to believe that the LHC is prompting an increased number of visits from our Arcturian brethren. Given the fact that Arcturus is a good 36 ly away or so, that makes it pretty obvious that they have discovered the elusive "Einstein-Rosen Bridge" we hear so much about. Would have been wise to hear what this "man" had to say.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

Hey, I sure wouldn't mind getting some more of that Arcturian poontang!
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

This reminds me of an old X-files episode

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0751211/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

A planet about twice the size of Earth has been confirmed to exist right in the middle of the "habitable zone" around its star, which is much like our own.

"If the greenhouse warming was similar on this planet and if it had a surface, its temperature would be something like 72 degrees Fahrenheit, a very pleasant temperature here on the Earth," William Borucki, lead Kepler researcher at NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif., said at a press briefing Monday.

The planet is around 2.4 times wider than Earth -- making it a "super-Earth." It takes 289.9 days to fly around its parent star, which is very much like our sun.

"It's almost a solar twin," Batalha said.
http://news.discovery.com/space/alien-p ... 11205.html

meanwhile, as the story broke, scientists also picked up on a peculiar sizemic event which ended up being a giant planet wide face palm sound from the new planet. That's right, solar twin, we are moving in, prepared to be destroyed.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

eddysnake wrote:
meanwhile, as the story broke, scientists also picked up on a peculiar sizemic event which ended up being a giant planet wide face palm sound from the new planet. That's right, solar twin, we are moving in, prepared to be destroyed.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

While I understand the search for extraterrestrial life is a delicate and tough one...

I also understand the need to understand what's around us, before we go off on crazy tangents...

That being said...

It's so funny everyone's still concerned with the Goldilocks zone, when it's been shown that life can adapt to some of the most harshest conditions, and it's a certainty that non-carbon based lifeforms who do not require water are certainly "out there."