The New (and Improved) Mod Sign-up Thread

Forum for NHR "Wars" Games
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: The New (and Improved) Mod Sign-up Thread

Post by ExPatriatePen »

mac5155 wrote:so, who's up?
I have a Rock N Roll Warz thats just about ready to go... I'm just not sure that there's enough interest right now.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
I have a Rock N Roll Warz thats just about ready to go... I'm just not sure that there's enough interest right now.
I'll play if you're going.

Failing a big one, maybe it's time for redwill experiment #4.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

I kind of figured I'd wait a week or two into the season to kick it off.

After the lack of participation in the Monsters thread, it seemed appropriate.
Participation on the overall board should pick up by then as well.

If someone else wants to jump in and host their own game, go for it.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

relantel wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

I'd have to unfoe EPP to play in the game?
I'll have to think about that. :pop: :wink:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

columbia wrote:
relantel wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

I'd have to unfoe EPP to play in the game?
I'll have to think about that. :pop: :wink:
You're now on *my* foe list. :wink:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Some ideas for improving the games with the lack of participation we've had recently:

1. Have only one "day" and "night" phase a day. Start the day phase at 8AM and end it at a set time each day, like say 6PM. Night phase would then last from 6PM to 8AM.

2. Eliminate vote targets, and have the person with the most votes at the deadline be the person eliminated. If there is a tie, then no one is eliminated.

3. Since the voting phase will last all day, if someone does not vote during a day phase, they are mod killed.

This should allow a greater opportunity for everyone to participate and give them an incentive to participate.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

a variation on your #3 is in my RnR Warz game.
#2 is questionable, since it's kinda of the way it is now. If the limit is reached before the deadline why wait for the deadline?
I'm not sure about #1, but from my limited experience it seems that the problem isn't the "day phase" but rather the problem is the "night phase" since the night phase requires PM's from RP's. In a day phase if only three of twenty folks participate, you can take what data you're given and move forward. What do you do when RP's don't respond in a timely fashion?

These are just my observations YMMV
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

ExPatriatePen wrote:#2 is questionable, since it's kinda of the way it is now. If the limit is reached before the deadline why wait for the deadline?
Per my second point, I would eliminate placing a limit or target on the vote. For example, let’s say there are 7 people left. Normally the limit would be set at 4. So the voting begins at 8AM and at 12PM so far 4 people have voted for Malk without Malk defending himself. Without a limit, Malk would not be officially eliminated until the deadline, and he would have a chance to defend himself. This allows any of the 4 that voted for Malk to change their vote based on what Malk says prior to the deadline.

It seems to me that some people that some people aren’t able to participate during the day phase and once they miss a day phase they stop paying attention. I know I can’t participate during the day. If I knew that the game was starting each day at 8AM and ending at 6PM each day I’d make sure to at least make time to check in at the deadline each day. With the stipulation that you have to vote during the day to stay alive, this will keep people from signing up that aren’t available.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

I had a fixed day and night length way back in Slug Warz III. Mine were 24 hours each. You can read that thread if you like.

People HATED it and I caved and switched to the usual format half way through the game. People hated waiting around. Maybe 24 hours was too long, but I don't think people have the patience.

I'd be willing to play in a game like that, though. Maybe with some tweaks it could work.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

I can do experiment #3 if people want to play.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

redwill wrote:I can do experiment #3 if people want to play.
I'm always in... You guys hooked me on Warz :)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I will personally not play in games that force days longer than 12 hours.

There needs to be a happy medium where the phases are long enough for everyone to be able to participate while also not dragging the days out longer than they need to be.

You also don't want to force a situation where people just throw a token vote out to avoid getting modkilled.

If your days/nights are too short, you end up with people not voting or able to get PMs in. If you make them too long, people get bored/become disinterested in the game and/or it has no flow.

It would definitely help to continue gaining new players, as they keep the game fresh and also the bigger numbers give the mods more room to be creative.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

the wicked child wrote: You also don't want to force a situation where people just throw a token vote out to avoid getting modkilled.
just for clarification.. not that you asked... but my take on this for RnR Warz is "participation". Not a vote. Even posting a "present and accounted for" keeps the mod kill at bay. my goal was trying to assure interest, not to move the game along at an arbitrary pace.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

EPP, you ready for RnR?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

FWIW, don't want anyone to get banned while modding (a la BCS), so I'm out for a while on the possible future games as primary mod. I seemed to be bad luck in that department :pop:

(but would co-mod for someone else)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

relantel wrote:EPP, you ready for RnR?
Yeah, I think I am. I was actually going to post today and see if we could get enough interest (20 or more) to start on either the 17th or 24th.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Yeah, I think I am. I was actually going to post today and see if we could get enough interest (20 or more) to start on either the 17th or 24th.
I'd say shoot for the 24th, give some time for the signup thread.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

relantel wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
I'd say shoot for the 24th, give some time for the signup thread.
The RnR sign up thread is up!
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I'd like to give a try at modding a game based on the Simpsons. I may need a co-mod though. I'll wait until after Rock-n-Roll warz is over of course.
Benny Fitz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Benny Fitz »

I know it may be a little too soon, but I want to throw this out there incase someone's interested. I'd like someone to mod a Clue Warz. Kraft and I made the game fairly simple to mod once the clues are set. You could forgo the elaborate write-ups (which was probably the most difficult part of the game), we just thought them necessary to help everyone understand the game design as well as encourage buy-in. Moreover, we designed a game that we'd both love a chance to play in. So if down the road, anyone is interested in moding a clue warz please let us know. Thank you in advance for your consideration!
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Thinking of maybe doing a Tombstone (Wyatt Earp) based game instead of the Simpsons. Anyone have a preference?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Thinking of maybe doing a Tombstone (Wyatt Earp) based game instead of the Simpsons. Anyone have a preference?
Mmmmmm, someone was quoting this on 970 today re Ravens-Steelers. "Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin'. "
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

I thought about doing a quick game: Shower Warz

Ghosts
Plumber (Angel)
Bathroom Cam (Seer)
Dog (Vig)

Norman Bates (Independent)

But, then, with the PSU horrors, decided against it.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

Columbia and I have a game in the works. Will post details soon.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

redwill wrote:I thought about doing a quick game: Shower Warz

Ghosts
Plumber (Angel)
Bathroom Cam (Seer)
Dog (Vig)

Norman Bates (Independent)

But, then, with the PSU horrors, decided against it.
:lol: