TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by Sarcastic »

AlexPKeaton wrote:The new showtime show House of Lies looks HOT! Especially the previews with Kristen Bell in next to nothing!
She's a cutie, isn't she?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Sarcastic wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:It's still got some funny stuff in it which is why I still mostly regularly watch, but I much preferred it when it was more of a sraight comedy than before it tried to bridge the gap and copy shows like Scrubs (unsuccessfully IMO). So much of it just feels forced to me.
I agree. I think it was better early on. I struggled last 2 seasons and I thought I'll stop watching it. Extremely forced. But this season has been better. And I gotta make it to the end at this point. :)
I'm in the same boat as you. The first 3 or 4 seasons were awesome. Then sometime in season 4, it started to go down for me, and season 5 and 6 seemed ok. This season is better, and I hope it's because they know they have to wrap things up by the end of next season. I'm watching because I've spent 6 years vested, so I want to see it to the end.

I'm the same with the Simpsons.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Is next season final for How/Mother?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Sarcastic wrote:Is next season final for How/Mother?
They are signed on for next season. From there, I hope they end it, but they can always extend it.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

newarenanow wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:It's still got some funny stuff in it which is why I still mostly regularly watch, but I much preferred it when it was more of a sraight comedy than before it tried to bridge the gap and copy shows like Scrubs (unsuccessfully IMO). So much of it just feels forced to me.
I agree. I think it was better early on. I struggled last 2 seasons and I thought I'll stop watching it. Extremely forced. But this season has been better. And I gotta make it to the end at this point. :)
I'm in the same boat as you. The first 3 or 4 seasons were awesome. Then sometime in season 4, it started to go down for me, and season 5 and 6 seemed ok. This season is better, and I hope it's because they know they have to wrap things up by the end of next season. I'm watching because I've spent 6 years vested, so I want to see it to the end.

I'm the same with the Simpsons.

Most stuff that goes on long enough has its ups and downs. There is a natural story arc that a writer must have in mind when creating the show...and you can jump around and extend that arc only so many times before it seems too forced (it seems every show now, including Scrubs and I believe Grey's Anatomy did it, and I saw another show advertising recently to have a "singing episode" - HIMYM kind of did it)...and now I think they are getting back into the natural arc again and I am enjoying it more.

The show needs to start strong to get the viewers (first couple season), then gets better as the show is given more free reign because of their popularity (next few seasons with fresh ideas and writers), then seems a bit forced as it gets extended maybe farther than it should (ideas get tired and ongoing story lines need shaken up because they aren't allowed to end until the show is ready to end), and then the end is near and you can get back to finish the story you set out to write.

Had you told them from the beginning "you have 4-5 seasons and X amount of episodes" - you would see some of those later middle episodes get cut.

But a good corporation knows how to make money and they know tehre are a lot of ppl like me - I am invested in the characters and want to see the story come full circle. Plus it now has Kumar in it! Plus I will laugh at any Doogie Howser reference.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I understand JeffDFD. And I agree. You have your central story line (in these types of shows) and at the beginning it's easy to follow it. But as time goes on and the show gets popular, you have to stretch it, add in filler, and like you said, they stretch to see where they can reach. Now that the show is getting closer to the end than the beginning (I would guess and average GREAT show is around 9-12 seasons), they can focus on the main story arc again.

Lost set the end of the show early so they could avoid this. They knew the end well in advance. But obviously I don't expect many shows to do that, and rightfully so.

My example of the Simpsons though is a show that has very little continuation in it. I'm just sticking with it because after 23 years, I can't quit on it. I think they ran out of good ideas after around season 9. Or at least the dynamic of it being centered around Spriingfield ended around then. I think they are starting to get back to that some, but how they present Homer changed around that time, along with some other characters, and it wasn't as funny as the earlier seasons. I'm hoping the Simpsons end sometime in the next 2 or 3 years. Hit season 25, celebrate the silver anniversary and then call it quits.

It's funny, when I started watching the show, I was 11. Around Bart's age. Now I'm 33, and only 5 years from Homer's age. Scary.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Hell On Wheels is good, definitely enjoying it.

Boardwalk Empire is up and down... not really anything new there.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Watched another episode of American Horror Story. The young maid is hot.

The show is weird but good.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Dexter was ruined for me this season by the internet. :lol:
Spoiler:
Yep, Gellar was who we thought he was. There must be another twist with three episodes left.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Dexter was ruined for me this season by the internet. :lol:
Spoiler:
Yep, Gellar was who we thought he was. There must be another twist with three episodes left.
totally...and that wasn't even an official spoiler, was it? it was just someone's theory that immediately became incredibly obvious from that point forward. i wonder if i would have been surprised by the reveal had i not already know or would i have already kinda figured it out.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I was behind on the last 3 episodes of Boardwalk Empire and watched them in the wrong order because I wasn't paying attention. I watched the most recent one first. It kind of ruined the other two when I watched them.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Idoit40fans wrote:I was behind on the last 3 episodes of Boardwalk Empire and watched them in the wrong order because I wasn't paying attention. I watched the most recent one first. It kind of ruined the other two when I watched them.
Yeah I could see that. :lol:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Idoit40fans wrote:I was behind on the last 3 episodes of Boardwalk Empire and watched them in the wrong order because I wasn't paying attention. I watched the most recent one first. It kind of ruined the other two when I watched them.
Ew. Gross.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

I was so far behind on Boardwalk Empire, I gave up on it
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Boardwalk is the best show on tv.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

shmenguin wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Dexter was ruined for me this season by the internet. :lol:
Spoiler:
totally...and that wasn't even an official spoiler, was it? it was just someone's theory that immediately became incredibly obvious from that point forward. i wonder if i would have been surprised by the reveal had i not already know or would i have already kinda figured it out.
Was thinking this myself.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Boardwalk could move times and still be behind Dexter/Homeland in pecking order.

/s/ only watched two episodes this season so far
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I have made it through the first four episodes of Season 4 of Breaking Bad.
Spoiler:
The scene where Walt and Skyler are rehearsing their lines for dinner with Hank and Marie had be howling. They both acted that scene perfectly. Walt's mannerisms were amazing. "Are you going to dab your eye? Which hand, your right or left? How many tears? One or two?" lol
Spoiler:
Jesse this season. Wtf.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

canaan wrote:Boardwalk is the best show on tv.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Rylan wrote:
canaan wrote:Boardwalk is the best show on tv.
bumping posts from september of 2010, are we?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Stop drinking the haterade haha
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Anyone catch any Cannon episodes on ME TV? Lots of talk of how fat Cannon (aka the announcer) is.

eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Anyone watch Neverland on Syfy last night? Any good?
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by IrishEyes »

eddysnake wrote:Anyone watch Neverland on Syfy last night? Any good?
I thought it was pretty good. I'll have to catch the second part another time since it's on tonight, and the Pens game is just more important to me. But I enjoyed it.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Point Breeze Penguins »

Looks like for the third year in a row a cop drama that I love is going to get axed...

(Law & Order, Life On Mars, Detroit 1-8-7, and Prime Suspect)