What happened to Ovechkin?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: What happened to Ovechkin?

Post by Draftnik »

I don't want to defend Ovie from drug allegations but the hockey federations had to submit a comprehensive list of all players they were considering for their Feb 2010 Olympic roster to WADA by October 2009. Ovie obviously would have been on the Russian list. Its possible he could have risked detection, but he was subject to random WADA drug testing for the entire 09/10 season leading up to the Olympics:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey ... 1-qmi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hockey fans shouldn't be concerned about players failing drug tests here, though, since prospective Olympians have been under the WADA policy and subject to testing since October.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

He scored a nice old school OV goal tonight. They still lost 6-3 (lol).
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by helmespc »

Ovie is in a weird spot.... having to try to "be a team player".... when he's always kind of been a "shoot first" kinda guy. I think he's struggling with all the pressure to win a cup, not necessarily that he's "juicing" or whatever other allegations are going on here. Playing his game hasn't won him a cup, so there's been intense pressure for him to change how he plays, which hasn't worked out for him. The problem with the Caps is not Ovie... its the fact that they're not building around their superstar's strengths in such a way that they can be successful. They need to put a 2009-10 1st line out there with Ovie and Semin to score ton of goals, then build the rest of the team to fill in the defensive/grinding game. That has been why the Pens have been so successful... they play to Crosby, Malkin, and Staal's strengths, rather than ask them to change their games.
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Hugo Stiglitz »

If Ovy really never used any enhancers, I think there's a few things at play that have caused him to tail off:

1) This may be a generalization or hockey stereo-type, but this has been typical of Russian players in the past. I don't know if it's complacency, not being able to adjust to the longer season or laziness.

2) Ovy plays a reckless physical game which has not only been something that affects the players on the receiving end, but takes a toll on his body. I would very much think this could be a major contributor. He just doesn't have the jump in his game that he had. Yeah, he's still noticeable, but not like he was. I think he's very run down.

3) Maybe as dynamic and a physical force as he is, he was somebody teams have been able to figure out how to contain?

I honestly think there's a degree of laziness or not caring.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penmyst »

helmespc wrote:... its the fact that they're not building around their superstar's strengths in such a way that they can be successful. They need to put a 2009-10 1st line out there with Ovie and Semin to score ton of goals, then build the rest of the team to fill in the defensive/grinding game. That has been why the Pens have been so successful... they play to Crosby, Malkin, and Staal's strengths, rather than ask them to change their games.
The more important point is that the strengths of Crosby are GOOD ones for team leadership (works like he's on a 2-way contract both in-game and on his weaknesses), and Ovechkin's strengths aren't.

No head coach, not one, tailors their style to a player. What GMs try to do is find coaches that fit well with their players.

And having a Crosby type of player, who is a superstar guy with 4th-line work ethic, makes that job easy as pie.

Meanwhile, over in Washington where their number 1 guy is a shooter... and nothing else? Not so easy. Especially since he's not known as a hard worker. When he was lighting the world on fire, it could be overlooked. Even Jagr, pouting little puke that he was, ALWAYS worked hard even when he wanted out.

That is important for a team. When your top guys aren't willing to work hard (physically and mentally), it puts management and coaching in a tough spot since other players are absolutely affected by their leader.

It's not a coincidence that the Pens give off a real "team" vibe. Crosby is the reason. Period.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

helmespc wrote:Ovie is in a weird spot.... having to try to "be a team player".... when he's always kind of been a "shoot first" kinda guy. I think he's struggling with all the pressure to win a cup, not necessarily that he's "juicing" or whatever other allegations are going on here. Playing his game hasn't won him a cup, so there's been intense pressure for him to change how he plays, which hasn't worked out for him. The problem with the Caps is not Ovie... its the fact that they're not building around their superstar's strengths in such a way that they can be successful. They need to put a 2009-10 1st line out there with Ovie and Semin to score ton of goals, then build the rest of the team to fill in the defensive/grinding game. That has been why the Pens have been so successful... they play to Crosby, Malkin, and Staal's strengths, rather than ask them to change their games.
Exactly. Ovy has not been their problem come playoff time. Not sure about his current rank but before last year's playoffs he was third all time in playoff PPG...

"The taming" of Ovy was a mistake. I said so right away.

Still don't like him, however, so I don't mind =)

And also, the league has adjusted. He's been a one trick pony. An awesome trick it was, but still just one.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

Despite the fact that the Caps had that huge win streak immediately after Ovie became captain -- overall, the responsibility of captaincy has not been good for him, either. His falloff after the Olympics also coincides with his becoming captain shortly beforehand.

I think they rushed Ovie into being a captain because of the one-upmanship peeing contest going on at the time with regards to the comparisons between Sid and Ovie. Along the lines of "Pittsburgh has THEIR Cup" -- they probably felt that "...Crosby is THEIR captain, Ovie should be ours, too."

Only he's just not captain material. He was better off a bit of a wild and free spirit and class clown than being squeezed into a role better suited for the likes of seasoned veterans, or the serious types like Crosby and Toews.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

For the Caps to win, they need to tap into their old-school hard-helmet mentality from the early 90's, and add Ovechkin-Backstrom-Green to a team of punky grinders. Maybe they fire Bodreau and bring in Dale Hunter. Maybe they trade Semin for a gritty shutdown center. Maybe Bodreau finally gets through to his players to instill some accountability (remember they were losing 10 in a row this time last year.) Or maybe they continue to fail to mature, but still get by being good enough that nothing ever changes.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

pcm wrote:Maybe they trade Semin for a gritty shutdown center.
Stähl?
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

0 points, 2 shots, -4 in 19+ minutes for the Late 8 against the Sabres today.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Three Stars wrote:0 points, 2 shots, -4 in 19+ minutes for the Late 8 against the Sabres today.
LOL. I don't know why I get pleasure from his suckitude, but I like it
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I want Ovechkin to do well, just not when he plays the Pens. There are very few players that I do not want to succeed. Ovechkin isn't one of them.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

Rylan wrote:I want Ovechkin to do well, just not when he plays the Pens. There are very few players that I do not want to succeed. Ovechkin isn't one of them.
:fist: Agreed.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

Rylan wrote:I want Ovechkin to do well, just not when he plays the Pens. There are very few players that I do not want to succeed. Ovechkin isn't one of them.
I'm hoping OV has never touched the juice and that he never will. I'd love to see his game get back to where it was. It's good for hockey but it's better for me because there is nothing I enjoy more than a play-off series between hated rivals with said rivals operating at peak efficiency.
The 08'-09 series was epic and there is no better payoff than that.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

I don't care how well Ovie does, I just want my team healthy at this point. Right now I'm kind of over "hating" on him and just more concerned about Crosby having a long career than whatever Ovie does. If Ovie's old self comes back, good for him, but I care most about the health and well being of our guys now.

I almost feel sorry for #8 sometimes....

yeah...almost.
Last edited by littlemoonboot on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

littlemoonboot wrote: Image
i am mesmerized by this...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

He's been a head hunter and cheap shot artist extraordinaire.

I have no sympathy for his failures.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

I was hopeing to see Boudreau fired by today
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i actively root for him to fail. it's become easier since he's become a 2nd/3rd tier goal scorer. when he was tearing the league up, i liked seeing that level of greatness in sports. now he's just some cranky jag with inconsequential stats
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Alexander Daigle part deux?
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

SolidSnake wrote:I was hopeing to see Boudreau fired by today
Given his postseason record, wouldn't we want him to stay?
Some Pens fans started some "keep Boudreau" tweets on twitter and the livid responses out of Caps fans were :lol: :lol: :lol:
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Why would anyone who isn't a Caps fan want Boudreau fired?
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Idoit40fans wrote:Why would anyone who isn't a Caps fan want Boudreau fired?
Seriously. Lumpy can coach forever as far as I'm concerned.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

I dislike Boudreau as much as the caps and I want both to suffer. I don't think the caps new coach are gonna get them a cup ala Bylsma
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Boudreau is annoying and offensive to me. I'd prefer that he gets fired.

The caps aren't winning with ovechkin anyways