Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by JS© »

Sitting in my cube checking my email and this lady next to me walks in and drops the big "GD" for no reason.

Now I'm not very religious. I'm a 2x a year catholic at best, but using God's name in vain is something that irritates me.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

JS© wrote:Sitting in my cube checking my email and this lady next to me walks in and drops the big "GD" for no reason.

Now I'm not very religious. I'm a 2x a year catholic at best, but using God's name in vain is something that irritates me.
Not irrational at all.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Rylan wrote:
JS© wrote:Sitting in my cube checking my email and this lady next to me walks in and drops the big "GD" for no reason.

Not irrational at all.
Yeah, it probably isn't irrational, but I couldn't find another thread to use to vent. ;)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

JS© wrote:
Rylan wrote:

Not irrational at all.
Yeah, it probably isn't irrational, but I couldn't find another thread to use to vent. ;)
I had a co worker once named Ira Schienwald, he was a geeky kind of guy, the kind who probably had his lunch money stolen every day while he was growing up.

He worked hard, got a couple of advanced degrees, got into a position of upper management and ended up supervising probably 100 people. He used that opportunity to turn into a jerk and abuse anyone on his team that he felt wasn't as smart as him. Which was everyone.

His office was right next to mine and you could always tell when he was getting ready to explode, he'd bound out of his office and loudly proclaim "Jesus Christ!".

I always felt that was rather inappropriate, especially coming from a man named Ira Schienwald. :pop:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
JS© wrote:
Rylan wrote:

Not irrational at all.
I had a co worker once named Ira Schienwald, he was a geeky kind of guy, the kind who probably had his lunch money stolen every day while he was growing up.

He worked hard, got a couple of advanced degrees, got into a position of upper management and ended up supervising probably 100 people. He used that opportunity to turn into a jerk and abuse anyone on his team that he felt wasn't as smart as him. Which was everyone.

His office was right next to mine and you could always tell when he was getting ready to explode, he'd bound out of his office and loudly proclaim "Jesus Christ!".

I always felt that was rather inappropriate, especially coming from a man named Ira Schienwald. :pop:
using the lord's name in vein is definitely not kosher.
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensFanBryan »

people walking in the exit door, anywhere, but it happens and bothers me the most at Wal-Mart... You can't walk the extra 2 more steps to go in the door marked "Entrance"?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

JS© wrote:
Rylan wrote:

Not irrational at all.
People who knowingly post in the wrong thread, yet won't take their rational pet peeves elsewhere. :pop:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

DudeMan2766 wrote:People who knowingly post in the wrong thread, yet won't take their rational pet peeves elsewhere. :pop:
fair enough

I had to deal with a guy last week who crosses and arms, basically pouts and puts on his mean face when it comes time to learn new stuff. Grown man too, like at least mid 50s. He got mad because his previous distribution list of contacts didn't make it over from his old computer. So not only did I create his new list, I created 3 other lists for him, leaving him the chance for him to do the 4th and final list, which also giving the opportunity to show his buddies. Did he do it? No, he threw a **** fit, went back to the directory and then said I deleted his contacts because he was trying to search for people in the global directory using their first name and nothing would come up.

I have no problem training or teaching people, providing the people are willing to listen. But when they pout, piss, and moan over something that is their doing (or lack thereof), then I get irritated.

OK, maybe that one is rational too. Can we just change the thread title to "Your rational and irrational pet peeves"?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

JS© wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:People who knowingly post in the wrong thread, yet won't take their rational pet peeves elsewhere. :pop:
fair enough

I had to deal with a guy last week who crosses and arms, basically pouts and puts on his mean face when it comes time to learn new stuff. Grown man too, like at least mid 50s. He got mad because his previous distribution list of contacts didn't make it over from his old computer. So not only did I create his new list, I created 3 other lists for him, leaving him the chance for him to do the 4th and final list, which also giving the opportunity to show his buddies. Did he do it? No, he threw a **** fit, went back to the directory and then said I deleted his contacts because he was trying to search for people in the global directory using their first name and nothing would come up.

I have no problem training or teaching people, providing the people are willing to listen. But when they pout, piss, and moan over something that is their doing (or lack thereof), then I get irritated.

OK, maybe that one is rational too. Can we just change the thread title to "Your rational and irrational pet peeves"?
Desktop/Client support... the single most thankless job in corporate America.

I've always maintained that higher paying jobs like DBA, Cisco Network Engineer, Server Support Engineer, were easier than desktop.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by IrishEyes »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
JS© wrote:
fair enough

Desktop/Client support... the single most thankless job in corporate America.

I've always maintained that higher paying jobs like DBA, Cisco Network Engineer, Server Support Engineer, were easier than desktop.
Off-topic of the thread, but on-topic to JS... our computer guys love me, because if someone's having an issue and they ask me to call them, I can tell them they don't have to dumb it down for me. :D
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

People that still drive slow through a school zone when the lights are flashing but school is obviously not in session.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:People that still drive slow through a school zone when the lights are flashing but school is obviously not in session.
the law is that even though you know for a fact that there is no school in session, the speed limit stands. I've known numerous people that have gotten pulled over in a school zone over break and they said since they knew school wasn't in session they could go the regular speed limit.... wrong!
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:People that still drive slow through a school zone when the lights are flashing but school is obviously not in session.

If those lights are flashing no matter the time I'm driving slow because I'm sure the fine for that is insane if some cop wanted to be a jerk about it.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I do that because I know people that have gotten pulled over for going the normal speed limit even though school isn't in session.

When those lights are flashing, that is the speed limit.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I hate school zones. Buses and school zone kids had it easy. For the rest of us who had to cross streets outside school zones and stop signs were playing chicken more often than not :)
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I realize the rule, but it is an irrational pet peeve of mine.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

PensFanBryan wrote:people walking in the exit door, anywhere, but it happens and bothers me the most at Wal-Mart... You can't walk the extra 2 more steps to go in the door marked "Entrance"?
Guilty. Especially in this one Walmart. It's the way the doors are set, the exit ones are closer to the parking lot.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

I have a huge pet peave as of late. It's growing into severe hatred. Every time I click on a video whether it's on youtube or on the web, sitkom, news, or funny stuff, I have to watch an ADVERTISEMENT MESSAGE first. CBS is funny when I try to watch one of their shows there. They have me select 1 of 3 ads that I want to watch (per my interest!).. there is bank of america and best buy and something else.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

^no complaints here - keep the free stuff free
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

^Not irrational.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

newarenanow wrote:
I do that because I know people that have gotten pulled over for going the normal speed limit even though school isn't in session.

When those lights are flashing, that is the speed limit.

Exactly, even though school isn't in session there may be some kind of sports or club or band practice going on. so there may be kids around anyway
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by jprolley »

facebook junk

"hi. i'm running quite low on self-esteem at the moment, so i will now insult myself. if you disagree with this comment, respond simply by clicking the like button. i am also lonely and unable to get a date, and have absolutely no game whatsoever. obviously, this means i am single. if you want to change that, inbox me a <3. re-post this if you are also desperately seeking attention."
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Grocery Store loyalty cards. What is up with that?

You won't give me a discount unless I carry around a piece of plastic with a barcode on it?

Seriously???

What do you want me to do? Tattoo the dog gone thing on the palm of my hand?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Its for marketing. Its to get an idea of what customers prefer to purchase and that is sent to a database which keeps track of everything.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

It's also psychological. You're more likely to return to the store because you'll see the card on your key ring.