Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Jagr to PHI

Post by pens2005 »

canaan wrote:
pens#1 wrote:Shero should have upped his offer, plain and simple
No
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Lesky wrote:
Jagr was so good last night. You could tell early he had that jump that he didn’t have in the last two games. The Flyers might be better off giving him a few games off here and there to keep his legs fresh so we can see more of these types of performances from him.

I can’t say one negative thing about Jagr. I used to hate him when he was with Pittsburgh but you can tell he cares about helping this team and as a fan you have to appreciate that. The game is very important to him and that’s refreshing to see compared to some of the personalities we’ve had here in the past.
LOL. The Flyers fans thought Jagr was the biggest cancer before he signed with them :D

And now they are all on the bandwagon.

But its pretty obvious Jagrs is a changed man when it comes to to the lockeroom etc, all indications are that he has been a big hit with the entire Flyers organisation. I would expect a 40 year old man to have grown up, so its hardly a suprise.
Penguins fans thought he was a cancer AFTER he was a part of their first and at the time only stanley cup championships. Which is more puzzling?
I never talked to anyone who thought Jagr was a cancer after his rookie season (which would have been that year in your above scenario).

The whole issue with Jagr came much, much later in his career. He was loved by all around here for his first handful of years here.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

When Jaromir first came to the Pens he was certainly confident, but he was what you'd expect from rookie on a team with more than a couple future HoF'ers... I took him a couple years to adopt his current persona.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

pens#1 wrote:Jagr>Sullivan Shero should have upped his offer, plain and simple

Shero should not have upped his offer
, he should have made a competitive offer at first based on Jagrs capability not on the fact that the Penguins counted on him playing for cheap because he was supposed to owe it to the franchise after the way he left 2001. The Penguins were so confident of their own greatness that they thought they could land Jagr for nothing. Everyone kept believing that the fans that booed Jagr for the 10 years should be the reason he would return for the lowest salary of all offers.

Jagr obviously was not impressed by the talk of "doing Mario right" trying to force his hand. The Penguins gave Jagr either the choice of accepting their low offer or to be villified by the media and fans. Obviously that strategy did not sit well with Jagr. To come back to play in Pittsburgh because he owed it to everyone was not that an attractive option.

Jagr said he felt Shero never wanted him, which does make sense all thing considered.

Lowballing Jagr was stupid - Jagr at 3 or 3.5 million would be a bargain still - so getting a worse player for the same money just because Jagr "owed it to the fans or organization to play cheap" is nothing short but dumb.

The Flyers promised Jagr ice time and chances to play top line minutes, Lemieux said to Jagr their first priority was to sign 3rd liner Tyler Kennedy, enough said.

That said, I like the Steve Sullivan signing very much, that was a bargain of Shero.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

This is nauseating:
It is a strange on-ice marriage, one that no one could have imagined last season: Center Claude Giroux, the Flyers' 23-year-old emerging superstar, and still-effective-after-all-these-years Jaromir Jagr, a future Hall of Famer who calls Giroux "Little Mario Lemieux."
Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/fly ... z1cOkU8E5L" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Whats this talk about upping an offer? Was a real offer made? He did not have any intention of making Jagr a Penguin.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

So, from now on, it's Jaromir Jagr™ to you! :)

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... odvodnikum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Idoit40fans wrote:Whats this talk about upping an offer? Was a real offer made? He did not have any intention of making Jagr a Penguin.
This is from what I remember:

1. There was an article about Jagr during the World Championship where he mentions he might return to the NHL, and he mentioned Pittsburgh and a couple of other clubs that he could be interested to sign with.

2. Shero invites Jagr to the 1991 Stanley Cup Golf Tournament but states that was the sole reason for the contact.

3. A week before free agency: Jagrs agent speaks again about Jagrs good feelings about Pittsburgh and returning to the NHL seemed very likely.

4. The balls starts rolling in the US media. Lots of papers and sites are reporting Jagr wants to return to Pittsburgh etc.

5. After the worst media frenzy it appears Shero decides to make Jagr an offer. It was rumoured Shero wanted to make Jagr 1 million 1 year deal.

6. It was then reported that Mario Lemieux interfered and convinced Shero to double the offer to 2 million.

7. The Penguins announce they had offered Jagr a contract.

8. Shero withdraws the offer after calling Jagrs agent wanting a decision - Jagrs agent did not ask for more money at any time.

In summary:
It appears that Shero only became interested in making Jagr an offer to look good towards the Penguins fan base. There was a big public feeling that Jagr wanted to come back.

Shero wanted to make Jagr a very low offer but Lemieux acted and increased the offer. Nevertheless, all indications are that Shero never wanted Jagr on the team since he wanted to offer him less than Bill Guerin got.

So when Jagr says he felt Shero never wanted him, that seems to be correct.

Would I have preferred that Jagr took the lowest offer of all teams from the Penguins even though he felt Shero did not want him? Yes.
Would I have wanted Jagr to prove returning to Pittsburgh was more important than ice time, pride, money and feeling wanted? Yes.
Do I blame Jagr for making the decision he did upon analyzing the facts? No.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Lesky wrote: The Flyers promised Jagr ice time and chances to play top line minutes...
Didn't Jagr also say that he didn't want to be relied upon for top line minutes prior to July 1?
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

He can trademark his name. He can goto the HoF wearing a Filthy sweater. He is forever known now as
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

So if 68 is raised to the rafters, will the CEC crowd be quiet for that too?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

columbia wrote:So if 68 is raised to the rafters, will the CEC crowd be quiet for that too?
68 better be raised.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penscup »

Lesky wrote:
Lowballing Jagr was stupid - Jagr at 3 or 3.5 million would be a bargain still - so getting a worse player for the same money just because Jagr "owed it to the fans or organization to play cheap" is nothing short but dumb.
This is a dumb statement.
Will you be singing the same tune if the Pens hoist the Cup at the end of this season?

Your complete blind love for Jaromir is hilarious. At least wait and see how the season plays out before making this argument, not 10 games in. When/If Jaromir pulls his groin yet again in game #64 he won't be of much use to the Flyers will he?
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by NeddieVedder »

Lesky wrote:In summary: It appears that Shero only became interested in making Jagr an offer to look good towards the Penguins fan base. There was a big public feeling that Jagr wanted to come back.

Shero wanted to make Jagr a very low offer but Lemieux acted and increased the offer. Nevertheless, all indications are that Shero never wanted Jagr on the team since he wanted to offer him less than Bill Guerin got.

Would I have preferred that Jagr took the lowest offer of all teams from the Penguins even though he felt Shero did not want him? Yes.
Would I have wanted Jagr to prove returning to Pittsburgh was more important than ice time, pride, money and feeling wanted? Yes.
This leaves out the rather huge aspects of 1) most of the "negotiating" and supposed mutual interest was exaggerated if not outright fabricated by Rossi and took on a life of its own on the internet independent of what actually happened, and 2) Jagr being a goddamn crazy person, demonstrated as recently as those very negotiations, and the team being more than good enough without gambling on him being Positive Reformed Citizen Jaromir instead of a potential poison pill. It would've been a fascinating, captivating, emotional story in a perfect world, but his manic-depressive "they tried to trick and trap me into being a 4th liner but ol' Jags was too savvy to fall for it!" quotes belie that they dodged a bullet more trouble than it was worth. There's more to life, this season, and this franchise than facilitating a Jaromir Jagr redemption narrative.
nastystang05
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by nastystang05 »

Lesky wrote:
pens#1 wrote:Jagr>Sullivan Shero should have upped his offer, plain and simple

Shero should not have upped his offer
, he should have made a competitive offer at first based on Jagrs capability not on the fact that the Penguins counted on him playing for cheap because he was supposed to owe it to the franchise after the way he left 2001. The Penguins were so confident of their own greatness that they thought they could land Jagr for nothing. Everyone kept believing that the fans that booed Jagr for the 10 years should be the reason he would return for the lowest salary of all offers.

Jagr obviously was not impressed by the talk of "doing Mario right" trying to force his hand. The Penguins gave Jagr either the choice of accepting their low offer or to be villified by the media and fans. Obviously that strategy did not sit well with Jagr. To come back to play in Pittsburgh because he owed it to everyone was not that an attractive option.

Jagr said he felt Shero never wanted him, which does make sense all thing considered.

The Flyers promised Jagr ice time and chances to play top line minutes, Lemieux said to Jagr their first priority was to sign 3rd liner Tyler Kennedy, enough said.

That said, I like the Steve Sullivan signing very much, that was a bargain of Shero.
Didn't Detroit give an offer of the same amount or am I confused?
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

NeddieVedder wrote: There's more to life, this season, and this franchise than facilitating a Jaromir Jagr redemption narrative.
... an impressively constructed sentence.

Yes, indeed! :thumb: :thumb:
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

JS© wrote:
Lesky wrote: The Flyers promised Jagr ice time and chances to play top line minutes...
Didn't Jagr also say that he didn't want to be relied upon for top line minutes prior to July 1?
I have no re-collection of that, maybe he said he did not need to be the focal point of a team anymore. What I remember for sure is that Jagr always have said he wanted to come back to prove he could still play at the highest level like he used to - and not be a 3rd or 4th line grinder.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

penscup wrote:
Lesky wrote:
This is a dumb statement.
Will you be singing the same tune if the Pens hoist the Cup at the end of this season?

Your complete blind love for Jaromir is hilarious. At least wait and see how the season plays out before making this argument, not 10 games in. When/If Jaromir pulls his groin yet again in game #64 he won't be of much use to the Flyers will he?
Are you serious?

Is spending 3 million for less quality than Jagr provides a good move if the Pens win the cup? How does that prove that the Pens would not have won the cup with Jagr on the roster? But if they do win the cup, I could agree that at least it turned out great, that does not mean I agree it was a smart move by Shero.

When is it ever a smart move to offer a quality player less money to have him deny it and then get worse quality for the same money?

Whats love got to do with what Shero did? Go to any NHL forum and check what other fans think that do not care about Jagr at all. They are laughing at the Penguins for blowing the Jagr deal.

Shero and the Penguins cared just as little for Jagrs Penguins legacy than Jagr did, thats the truth. In fact they cared so little that they offered him less money because they felt he owed it to the franchise or because it was such a tremendeous slam-dunk for Jagr.

Its pointless to discuss what has not happened, but what is obvious to see is that Jagr is twice the player that Bill Guerin was, so offering Jagr less or the same money was a joke from a roster standpoint as well as for Jagrs Penguins legacy.
Last edited by Lesky on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

NeddieVedder wrote:
Lesky wrote:In summary: It appears that Shero only became interested in making Jagr an offer to look good towards the Penguins fan base. There was a big public feeling that Jagr wanted to come back.

This leaves out the rather huge aspects of 1) most of the "negotiating" and supposed mutual interest was exaggerated if not outright fabricated by Rossi and took on a life of its own on the internet independent of what actually happened, and 2) Jagr being a goddamn crazy person, demonstrated as recently as those very negotiations, and the team being more than good enough without gambling on him being Positive Reformed Citizen Jaromir instead of a potential poison pill. It would've been a fascinating, captivating, emotional story in a perfect world, but his manic-depressive "they tried to trick and trap me into being a 4th liner but ol' Jags was too savvy to fall for it!" quotes belie that they dodged a bullet more trouble than it was worth. There's more to life, this season, and this franchise than facilitating a Jaromir Jagr redemption narrative.
So what? The media and then the fans blew up Jagrs interest in returning out of proportion. Shero felt forced to submit a low offer to make the backslash fall on Jagr and not on himself.

If Jagr would have wanted more money as the sole reason, he would have asked Shero to up his offer. I believe Jagr choose the Flyers because he sensed the Penguins did not want him and was just protecting themselves from fan outrage. When Shero then pulled the threatening stunt "Do Mario right" that was probably the end of the Penguins chances and quite likely that was Sheros intention. He put the blame on Jagr and like a sneaky veasel even made it more likely that Jagr would not sign with the Penguins. So Shero acted very smart if his intention was to make sure Jagr did not sign with the Penguins. If Shero on the other hand wanted Jagr with the Penguins - he blew it!

Or maybe Jagr had not made up his mind when Shero pulled back the offer and then the Penguins were not an option anymore.

If you had followed Jagrs career since he left the Capitals (in fact Calle Johansson said about Jagr Capitals tenure that Jagr was like any other guy, you could never know he was a superstar in the lockerroom. He said he thought Jagr was a very kind guy and the only thing he did wrong was to blame himself too much for not playing up to standards) you would too understand that the concern about Jagr ruining the chemistry or anything is way overblown. He has been nothing but praised since then, like most other veterans becoming a leader and teacher when approaching the last part of their careers.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by NeddieVedder »

Lesky wrote:
NeddieVedder wrote:

So what? The media and then the fans blew up Jagrs interest in returning out of proportion. Shero felt forced to submit a low offer to make the backslash fall on Jagr and not on himself.

If Jagr would have wanted more money as the sole reason, he would have asked Shero to up his offer. I believe Jagr choose the Flyers because he sensed the Penguins did not want him and was just protecting themselves from fan outrage. When Shero then pulled the threatening stunt "Do Mario right" that was probably the end of the Penguins chances and quite likely that was Sheros intention. He put the blame on Jagr and like a sneaky veasel even made it more likely that Jagr would not sign with the Penguins. So Shero acted very smart if his intention was to make sure Jagr did not sign with the Penguins. If Shero on the other hand wanted Jagr with the Penguins - he blew it!
So were the Red Wings, who made identical $2 million offers, identically waited for an answer through multiple days of radio silence from Team Jagr, and released identical statements going "WTF" and embarrassedly pulling their offers, also part of the defamation campaign?

If Jagr had wanted more money, he could've perhaps asked for it. If Jagr had made the bonkers paranoid assumption that he was going to get 3rd line ice time, he could've perhaps mentioned it and be reassured that he'd gotten the wrong impression. Or, or, he could've just said NO THANKS Y'ALL instead of going "hmm, decisions, decisions!" and retreating to the Fortress of Jagrtude, as is customary whenever bad people are mean to Jaromir, leaving Svoboda to let his voicemail fill up while floating quotes on the internet about 10 new teams expressing interest. So who wasn't negotiating in good faith with who here?

Shero's mistake wasn't in the size of the offer, it was in mistakenly believing he was negotiating with a mature adult professional hockey player and not accounting for Jaromir's sadness thermometer and the chance that being up-front with him about normal things like "we're working within a cap budget with a lot of moving parts" and "we also want to sign our young 20-goal winger" would be interpreted as grievous insults and attempted tricks. His offer wasn't missing another million dollars, it was missing a Valentine's Card that said "Do You Like Me? Yes/No" with yes circled.

I loved Jaromir Jagr. I love Lesky's unwavering Jagr affection, which is why I'm fascinated and compelled to reply. I loved the idea of a mature, mellow Jagr coming back here for the storybook ending. Unfortunately, that dude evidently doesn't exist. Shero tried to sign him, but there's no such player, so he didn't lose out on anybody. That's why what seemed like a perfect fit ended up not being one. Sullivan, between his skating in Bylsma's up-tempo system and his 0% chance of an emo freakout over the team who signed him secretly wanting to undermine him with 4th line minutes and wronghanded centers, is a better fit than Jagr to the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2011. He might not have the potential for greatness, but he has the potential for goodness without the potential for badness. You can take solace over the tragic events of 7/1 in articles about Jagr being a cool dude in Philly. I'll take solace in the Penguins' excellent start.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

NeddieVedder wrote:
Lesky wrote:
NeddieVedder wrote:

So were the Red Wings, who made identical $2 million offers, identically waited for an answer through multiple days of radio silence from Team Jagr, and released identical statements going "WTF" and embarrassedly pulling their offers, also part of the defamation campaign?

If Jagr had wanted more money, he could've perhaps asked for it. If Jagr had made the bonkers paranoid assumption that he was going to get 3rd line ice time, he could've perhaps mentioned it and be reassured that he'd gotten the wrong impression. Or, or, he could've just said NO THANKS Y'ALL instead of going "hmm, decisions, decisions!" and retreating to the Fortress of Jagrtude, as is customary whenever bad people are mean to Jaromir, leaving Svoboda to let his voicemail fill up while floating quotes on the internet about 10 new teams expressing interest. So who wasn't negotiating in good faith with who here?

Shero's mistake wasn't in the size of the offer, it was in mistakenly believing he was negotiating with a mature adult professional hockey player and not accounting for Jaromir's sadness thermometer and the chance that being up-front with him about normal things like "we're working within a cap budget with a lot of moving parts" and "we also want to sign our young 20-goal winger" would be interpreted as grievous insults and attempted tricks. His offer wasn't missing another million dollars, it was missing a Valentine's Card that said "Do You Like Me? Yes/No" with yes circled.

I loved Jaromir Jagr. I love Lesky's unwavering Jagr affection, which is why I'm fascinated and compelled to reply. I loved the idea of a mature, mellow Jagr coming back here for the storybook ending. Unfortunately, that dude evidently doesn't exist. Shero tried to sign him, but there's no such player, so he didn't lose out on anybody. That's why what seemed like a perfect fit ended up not being one. Sullivan, between his skating in Bylsma's up-tempo system and his 0% chance of an emo freakout over the team who signed him secretly wanting to undermine him with 4th line minutes and wronghanded centers, is a better fit than Jagr to the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2011. He might not have the potential for greatness, but he has the potential for goodness without the potential for badness. You can take solace over the tragic events of 7/1 in articles about Jagr being a cool dude in Philly. I'll take solace in the Penguins' excellent start.
Well, first kudos to you for bringing a quality answer reasoable arguments and not the usual bitter Jagr hatred.

First of all, when did Jagr owe it to the Penguins to deny or accept their offer 80 minutes or so before free agency? Shero said several times there was no deadline handed out to Jagr - Jagrs camp was not told by Shero that the Penguins offer were going to be pulled at 80 minutes prior to free agency.

Apparantly Shero either was happy to withdraw the offer or he simply changed his mind about not giving Jagr a deadline and withdrew the offer

Where is WTF from Detroit?

Holland said his initial offer of a one-year deal to Jagr, made several weeks ago, hasn’t changed. He said he doesn’t necessarily need an answer from Jagr by noon today, but then the player runs the risk of the team signing other players and not having space for him.

“If he calls July 2 and we haven’t signed anybody ... it all depends on which way the dominoes fall (in free agency),” Holland said.
What makes you think Jagr got the wrong impression of being on the 3rd line? If the Penguins said to Jagr Tyler Kennedy was their priority and he was a 3rd liner, why would they offer Jagr only 2 million if they saw him as 1st or 2nd line player?

What your argument comes down to is:

Are Jagr wanting to feel wanted, Jagr taking long time deciding his last NHL contract mean Jaromir Jagr is a bad/evil person that has not matured a bit since 2001?

Does the fact that Jagr wanted to feel the GM of the team he was going to sign with really wanted him on the team and not just made an offer to save his own butt mean that Jaromir Jagr would not play up to standards and ruin the team chemistry?

Are we judging Jaromir Jagr based on people who spent the last 7 years on the same team as him, or are we judging him from what happened a few days around free agency?

Does this mean that if I am in 2021 negotiating for a new job contract and are taking time while making sure I will feel happy and needed at my new job while getting a good salary mean I have not learned anything or matured a bit during the last 10 years? Does it make me a bad person that will poison my new work place with my badness?

Would you also like to be judged as person for some half questionable act you made one time during the last 10 years?

Jagr might have been more nice to the Penguins had he rejected their offer before Shero pulled the offer, but that has zero to with what Jagr could have done with the Penguins or not. I just think its a joke to judge a persons whole character based on some stuff that is hardly uncommon in the business.
---
At last:

Taking solace in Jagrs performance or that he has been a cool dude since he left the Capitals does not conflict with me being happy with the Steve Sullivan (boy he skates like he was 25) signing or the Penguins good start mainly without Crosby and Malkin. I have followed Jagr since he left the Penguins, and I have followed the Penguins in the same way as I did before Jagr left the team.

There is very little that supports the theory that Jagr at age 40 is a bigger risk for badness than any other player that the Penguins signs. I just wish people could face what happened as it was without condemning Jagr as a person.

But hey, Jagr might still turn out to be a cancer for the Flyers, who knows what the remainder of the season brings?
Last edited by Lesky on Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:02 am, edited 6 times in total.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Oh geez here we go again
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Meh... Jaromir who? (with apologies to Chuck Noll)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

ExPatriatePen wrote:Meh... Jaromir who? (with apologies to Chuck Noll)
I figured you could appreciate Lesky's life mission to defend the honor of Jagr... a bit more OTT than you with WVU, but the similarities are there. ;)
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penscup »

Lesky wrote:
Are you serious?

Is spending 3 million for less quality than Jagr provides a good move if the Pens win the cup? How does that prove that the Pens would not have won the cup with Jagr on the roster?
Because that is the ultimate goal and nothing else matters. If they win the Cup it was the right move,
end of story. If not, then you can start your second guessing about offering Jagr a bigger contract which I am 100% sure you will be ready to do.
Lesky wrote: When is it ever a smart move to offer a quality player less money to have him deny it and then get worse quality for the same money?

Whats love got to do with what Shero did? Go to any NHL forum and check what other fans think that do not care about Jagr at all. They are laughing at the Penguins for blowing the Jagr deal.

Shero and the Penguins cared just as little for Jagrs Penguins legacy than Jagr did, thats the truth. In fact they cared so little that they offered him less money because they felt he owed it to the franchise or because it was such a tremendeous slam-dunk for Jagr.
If they cared so little they would never have offered him a contract in the first place. Shero offered what he could afford, it wasn't an insult. Bozo Jagr & his bozo agent then screwed around not giving an answer in a reasonable amount of time and the offer then was retracted, quit revising history to suit your
Jagr Love.

Kennedy was a player the Pens had invested many years developing into a solid NHL player, entering his prime years, and they were understandably reluctant to have to let him go in order to take a gamble on a 40 year old who hadn't played in the league in three years.