TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by Troy Loney »

shmenguin wrote:
Troy Loney wrote: So you thought the kiddie diddlers was a good one?

yup. quality episode

The beginning when Frank came running into the bar in a hysterical panic was great, and the scene where Mac was shoving the pizza down his throat so fast that he was short of breath were amazing...but the Dee story line was bad and Frank's antics weren't funny either.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Malkamaniac wrote:
columbia wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:You have to build story somehow. I enjoyed Walking Dead thoroughly. The whole point of Zombie/outbreak movies is really to see how the environment impacts the people and how they develop as a result. If you just want to see massive amounts of killing, go watch The Expendables or something...haha. Although there should be plenty of killing coming up.
I agree, but the acting is so bad when they are developing the characters. :pop:
I don't want to see copious amounts of violence, but what I do want to see is a little more character progression. Last night was 45 minutes of Rick crying about Carl.

I understand that he has a plight and he wants to save all these people, but let's build the story up of everyone else. It feels like a slow development and then something dramatic happens in the last five minutes they'll use to carry on for five minutes into show number 3.

I also understand that while the zombies aren't the driving point, they can be used as characters themselves. Show them learning, and adapting to their environments and struggles(food is getting scarce, sitting in the church, walking as a herd). It's obvious that they're learning.
Spoiler:
Especially considering that the people on the farm are housing their family members all zombified in the barn. They could do a little more speed up the show.
This spoiler is a graphic novel spoiler that has not been revealed in the show yet (at least I don't think). FYI to anyone who might click it.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Malkamaniac wrote:
Spoiler:
Especially considering that the people on the farm are housing their family members all zombified in the barn. They could do a little more speed up the show.
Spoiler:
That's a hell of a spoiler. I'm actually glad I read that.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

That spoiler was already alluded to when the old man was talking to Rick about a "potential" cure because "humans always figure it out".
Spoiler:
Especially when the vet is talking about the members he's lost, but he's holding out hope for a cure because we've been through this before with various plagues.

Which is what I am thinking is what whispered to Rick last year. There is no cure and with the CDC's down, there's no hope except to co-exist, and that's not an option, because the zombies will only become more aggressive in their learning ability. Humans, then become the hunted.
Last edited by Malkamaniac on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Malkamaniac wrote:That spoiler was already alluded to when the old man was talking to Rick about a "potential" cure because "humans always figure it out".
Yes...that makes sense.
Otherwise, it was just cryptic for the sake of being so.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Anyone watch "BOSS" over the weekend on starz? Taped it, but it sounds like it is really good
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Feel free to spoil this for me, but in the comic book does the entire cast die and the dude from breaking bad becomes the main protagonist? Because that would be awesome. I hate every single character on this show and hopefully when the ratings tank this season they do a mass culling of them all.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I've really enjoyed the Big Bang Theory this season. I think it continues to get better.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

Malkamaniac wrote:
columbia wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:You have to build story somehow. I enjoyed Walking Dead thoroughly. The whole point of Zombie/outbreak movies is really to see how the environment impacts the people and how they develop as a result. If you just want to see massive amounts of killing, go watch The Expendables or something...haha. Although there should be plenty of killing coming up.
I agree, but the acting is so bad when they are developing the characters. :pop:
I don't want to see copious amounts of violence, but what I do want to see is a little more character progression. Last night was 45 minutes of Rick crying about Carl.

I understand that he has a plight and he wants to save all these people, but let's build the story up of everyone else. It feels like a slow development and then something dramatic happens in the last five minutes they'll use to carry on for five minutes into show number 3.

I also understand that while the zombies aren't the driving point, they can be used as characters themselves. Show them learning, and adapting to their environments and struggles(food is getting scarce, sitting in the church, walking as a herd). It's obvious that they're learning.
Spoiler:
I do not disagree with you. I have not read the books or anything, but I know enough about the characters we are being introduced to to know that I should be patient. I don't have a problem with a set up episode or two before it goes a little crazy and is a lot of progression.

I am a little worried with stuff I have read about AMC trying to squeeze out profits at expense of the show, but we will see.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Can zombies reproduce?
If so, would they eat their own children?
Or would the children be infected and be born as zombies?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Loaf31 wrote:I really want to read the Walking Dead books
I recommend getting the Walking Dead Compendium Volume One, which has the first 48 issues under one cover:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I borrowed it from the library, as $40 is a little steep on comic books. :pop:

Also, Volume 2 should be out soon-ish.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Currently watching Batman The Animated Series Volume 2
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Watched a pair of episodes of Unforgettable last night (up to, but not including, last week's).
Spoiler:
It's devolved into the stereotypical crime drama, but just as Castle has the underlying plot arc of Beckett's mother, this one has Carrie Wells' sister's death. Still, not bad though. Has some promise with the interaction with the actor from Nip/Tuck.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

On a different note, with just the season finale of The Event yet to watch, heard it was cancelled after the finale was shot. Apparently talks of a movie or something to resolve whatever cliffhangers there were.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Kraftster wrote:
MWB wrote:Just watched Breaking Bad. One episode left in the season. So good.
I'm up to first episode of Season 3 (watched it tonight). I'm blown away by this show. I really hope I get caught up in time to watch season 4 will its still on demand.
shmenguin wrote:breaking bad...the very end... :shock:
My wife is into this show, but I've never really watched it. The sum total of my exposure to its story consists of me in the kitchen hearing the wife going "Holy.... oh my god..... oh wow....." and me running into the living room in time to see two insanely dramatic moments that worked despite me having eff all invested in the characters and story. I think I might check it out and get caught up in time for the next new season.
Spoiler:
The two moments I watched were the gunpoint showdown where Jesse accused Walt of poisoning the kid (with the drum beat in the background), and Gus getting hisself blown into Harvey Dent's lookalike.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

tifosi77 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
MWB wrote:Just watched Breaking Bad. One episode left in the season. So good.
I'm up to first episode of Season 3 (watched it tonight). I'm blown away by this show. I really hope I get caught up in time to watch season 4 will its still on demand.
shmenguin wrote:breaking bad...the very end... :shock:
My wife is into this show, but I've never really watched it. The sum total of my exposure to its story consists of me in the kitchen hearing the wife going "Holy.... oh my god..... oh wow....." and me running into the living room in time to see two insanely dramatic moments that worked despite me having eff all invested in the characters and story. I think I might check it out and get caught up in time for the next new season.
Spoiler:
The two moments I watched were the gunpoint showdown where Jesse accused Walt of poisoning the kid (with the drum beat in the background), and Gus getting hisself blown into Harvey Dent's lookalike.
Highly suggest you do that. Great characters and great writing.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

The one episode of BB I watched was quite good. Unfortunately, with all the Pens games, I've had trouble just keeping up with all the shows I'm DVRing, let alone watching a new one... not to mention working my way slowly through my Married With Children DVD set.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

the wicked child wrote:The one episode of BB I watched was quite good. Unfortunately, with all the Pens games, I've had trouble just keeping up with all the shows I'm DVRing, let alone watching a new one... not to mention working my way slowly through my Married With Children DVD set.
live hockey certainly complicates matters, as it swallows 2-3 hours of time that could have been spent catching up...
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

watched Boss, first episode aired last friday. Might be the best new show on tv. check it out, I think it's free on demand for anyone
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Walking Dead renewed for 3rd season.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Malkamaniac wrote:Walking Dead renewed for 3rd season.
Good?

I'll guess we'll see.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

American Horror Story (up to but not including last night's ep)
Spoiler:
Really blurring the lines between the dead and the living... intense still though.

Almost wanted to watch the new one, which taped on the 11pm iteration last night, but it was barely into it when we finished the prior episode. It was trouble enough staying awake at that point for a half hour sitcom let alone another intense hour.

Unforgettable... starting to involve some running plot arcs between episodes, at least one nugget that made us mad we were already caught up (and thus unable to proceed straight into the next ep)
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I finally got to watch the 1st episode of Season 2 of the Walking dead. Not that bad.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

set your DVR tonight!
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Homeland was renewed for Season 2 today. THat is a good thing as that show is my favorite show atm.