TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by columbia »

Malkamaniac wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote: All in all, more zombie play, I like the dramaticness of it, but come on.
the show is more about humanity than it is zombies. they're just plot vehicles.
Spoiler:
my biggest issue in the "no way that would happen" category is how terribly carl's parents were at deciding where he should be. first, they let him roam around all the empty cars by himself. second, they told him to stay at the spot with an old man an a gimpy-armed guy (where hundreds of zombies just were) rather than go into the woods with all the capable people where it's easier to hide, and there are less zombies. and third, letting him hang out with his dad and the mental guy when it's getting dark instead of sending him back with the best hunter and the majority of the crowd.
Spoiler:
It's also frustrating that Rick can't figure out something is up with his wife and best friend. How stupid do you have to be?
Spoiler:
Or that his son hasn't blabbed about it. A kid that age would have been smart enough to figure out that something was going on.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

columbia wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote: All in all, more zombie play, I like the dramaticness of it, but come on.
Spoiler:
my biggest issue in the "no way that would happen" category is how terribly carl's parents were at deciding where he should be. first, they let him roam around all the empty cars by himself. second, they told him to stay at the spot with an old man an a gimpy-armed guy (where hundreds of zombies just were) rather than go into the woods with all the capable people where it's easier to hide, and there are less zombies. and third, letting him hang out with his dad and the mental guy when it's getting dark instead of sending him back with the best hunter and the majority of the crowd.
Spoiler:
It's also frustrating that Rick can't figure out something is up with his wife and best friend. How stupid do you have to be?
Spoiler:
Or that his son hasn't blabbed about it. A kid that age would have been smart enough to figure out that something was going on.
Spoiler:
There's just a few things, especially with Amy dying and her sister going off the deep end. She's turned into a whiny girl that's going to turn out to be a hero in some way, and then her realizing that she's glad she didn't kill herself.

The whole fact that Rick didn't question the situation further when shane had scratches on his face tell me he's an idiot, and the writers left the hole wide open. I can't help but look at this like a nerd, but you turn into a zombie by either being scratched, bit, or killed by them. So Shane had serious scratches on the side of his face AFTER he got into the CDC, how do you explain that outside of "OH CUT MYSELF SHAVING LOL!" It just doesn't add up.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I think people are assuming that The Walking Dead is prone to hollywood cliches when I think they have done a decent job of staying away from them.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

They certainly haven't stayed away from the cliche that all people are stupid in horror films/shows.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

I think what is happening is the show is getting SUPER popular (hence all the zombie commercials) and there has been tons of buzz and tons of people are watching it and forgetting that its a Zombie show on TV. It is not a big budget blockbuster movie.

Zombie themed entertainment is particularly cheese-y to begin with, you can't really get away from that entirely. Yes, there are some cringe-worthy moments of dialogue (like the beginning of the premier this year) but the story has to be pieced together somehow. Yes, they could do better in some ways...but the point is to be suspense filled, zombie gore, while also trying to develop some characters for the long haul.

Also, those asking about certain scenarios and why this did or didnt happen, I found it interesting - they had a "Talking Dead" 30 min show on at midnight where they actually talked to the writer. He answered some questions you have posed like
Spoiler:
why didn't they smell them...he said they aren't bloodhounds that have super senses and follow their noses to food. They just notice when something near them is different and doesn't smell like death. It may be a bit of a forced explanation...I wondered why hiding under the cars worked too, but if I remember, when they were walking among the zombies and had to "smell like death" and but the dead body smell on them - they were right next to the zombies and walking in between them. I mean, the guy can say whatever he wants about Zombies...he could make them fly if he wanted to because they aren't real, but he did actually speak to it is all I am saying. The questions of "why wouldnt getting zombie blood in your eye infect you - was not answered. I was questioning that more as the Winnebago scene and the "gutting" scene would have me worried
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

JeffDFD wrote:I think what is happening is the show is getting SUPER popular (hence all the zombie commercials) and there has been tons of buzz and tons of people are watching it and forgetting that its a Zombie show on TV. It is not a big budget blockbuster movie.

Zombie themed entertainment is particularly cheese-y to begin with, you can't really get away from that entirely. Yes, there are some cringe-worthy moments of dialogue (like the beginning of the premier this year) but the story has to be pieced together somehow. Yes, they could do better in some ways...but the point is to be suspense filled, zombie gore, while also trying to develop some characters for the long haul.

Also, those asking about certain scenarios and why this did or didnt happen, I found it interesting - they had a "Talking Dead" 30 min show on at midnight where they actually talked to the writer. He answered some questions you have posed like
Spoiler:
why didn't they smell them...he said they aren't bloodhounds that have super senses and follow their noses to food. They just notice when something near them is different and doesn't smell like death. It may be a bit of a forced explanation...I wondered why hiding under the cars worked too, but if I remember, when they were walking among the zombies and had to "smell like death" and but the dead body smell on them - they were right next to the zombies and walking in between them. I mean, the guy can say whatever he wants about Zombies...he could make them fly if he wanted to because they aren't real, but he did actually speak to it is all I am saying. The questions of "why wouldnt getting zombie blood in your eye infect you - was not answered. I was questioning that more as the Winnebago scene and the "gutting" scene would have me worried
Spoiler:
Also, the we just disemboweled a zombie, but it's totally safe idea. That's a lot of trust in a pair of garden gloves.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

Re: Dexter last night....
Spoiler:
- Thought that last night (episode 3) was the best of this season to date.

- The Colin Hanks / Olmos storyline keeps getting creepier and creepier each week. I love the element of surprise that they 2 bring. Pretty much all of the bad guys had their own rituals on how they did things. For example, the Trinity killer, Ice Truck Killer, and the rape gang pretty much followed the same pattern for each of their victims. These guys, on the other hand, do it differently each time (first the snakes, now the horse). Granted, they make their victims repent and then they display them in public, but how they do it is different each time, and it is way darker than any of the other villains. Its not like Trinity doing everything the same way, or the rape gang doing their thing and disposing of the girls into the barrels. Hopefully Dexter starts trailing these 2 next week. I love the potential that this storyline has.

- Early on in the series, I was a fan of LaGuerta, as she always had Dexter's back. Now, she just annoys me. Since she has it out for Deb, I wonder if Dexter will end up putting LaGuerta on his table to save Deb's career, and that is how Deb ultimately finds out about Dexter. IMO, they are really setting her up to be disliked, and I thing that will come to a head at some point in the series.

- Obviously there is something up with Masuka's assistant. She is obsessed with the Ice Truck Killer (painting her nails like that, WTF), and the fact that she stole the evidence was the icing on the cake for me. I am sure that she will end up on Dexter's table by the end of this season. My guess is that she finds out a little too much about the ITK case, and Dexter needs to dispose of her.

- I love the chemistry that MCH and Mos have together. I have to wonder if they end up teaming up at some point this year, as Brother Sam admitted to still having a dark passenger.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

shmenguin wrote:
The writing is not good enough to pull off some literary criticism of humanity, nor is the acting good enough to make up for the lousy writing. They should cut their losses and embrace their Stargate SG1 level of skill and make the show a lot more about the zombies and a lot less about the boring characters.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
The writing is not good enough to pull off some literary criticism of humanity, nor is the acting good enough to make up for the lousy writing. They should cut their losses and embrace their Stargate SG1 level of skill and make the show a lot more about the zombies and a lot less about the boring characters.
Realize we are only 7 episodes in. They could improve things. And I think you are expecting a bit too much from a TV show. If it was a movie, sure...but I choose to look past some of the crappier moments and enjoy it for what it is. Next episode they could just kill everyone and start over! haha, probably not, but I am having fun watching it...they don't have to win awards for their acting.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

JeffDFD wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Realize we are only 7 episodes in. They could improve things. And I think you are expecting a bit too much from a TV show. If it was a movie, sure...but I choose to look past some of the crappier moments and enjoy it for what it is. Next episode they could just kill everyone and start over! haha, probably not, but I am having fun watching it...they don't have to win awards for their acting.
That is fair, I mean I watch Terra Nova which I admit is horrible but I like dinosaurs (a lot) so I watch it haha. So I am not sure why I am so critical of this show, since I like zombies just as much as dinosaurs. Probably because I literally hate every character, which distracts me from the awesome parts.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I think for how *heroic* Rick is, he's kind of a ninny.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Malkamaniac wrote:I think for how *heroic* Rick is, he's kind of a ninny.
he's a lot like tom jane's character in "the mist". darabont loves him some sensitive tough guys.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i'm surprised no one has mentioned how horrible last week's always sunny was. i don't know what they were trying to do, but i hope they never do it again
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

shmenguin wrote:i'm surprised no one has mentioned how horrible last week's always sunny was. i don't know what they were trying to do, but i hope they never do it again
I missed it. What did they do?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

newarenanow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i'm surprised no one has mentioned how horrible last week's always sunny was. i don't know what they were trying to do, but i hope they never do it again
I missed it. What did they do?
frank''s long lost brother showed up, and the entire episode was a big flashback describing the circumstances of their falling out. so aside from a few pauses in the story where they chimed in, the rest of the gang wasn't involved at all. conceptually, it doesn't sound horrible, but there was almost zero comedy in the flashback.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

besides sha'dynasty, it was pretty terrible.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

canaan wrote:besides sha'dynasty, it was pretty terrible.
Agreed. I'm not liking wutsgoingonheer.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

it's the first episode i've ever disliked. there were a couple that i was on the verge of (one of which is the liberty bell one, which has some similarities to this episode), but none that i actively disliked.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Hawaii 5-0 is such a horrible show, but I can't stop watching.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Sons of anarchy is so **** good this season. The USDA guy is a great good guy with a bad guy edge. And the guy they have playing him is perfect.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

shady nasty?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Yeah...i fear the show is running it's course. Dennis and Dee can only be complimentary to any story line right now, and the stories don't seem that great. The kiddie pageant, also funny in theory, executed pretty poorly.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Troy Loney wrote:

Yeah...i fear the show is running it's course. Dennis and Dee can only be complimentary to any story line right now, and the stories don't seem that great. The kiddie pageant, also funny in theory, executed pretty poorly.
disagree. this season has been great. just one turd episode
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Point Breeze Penguins »

Person of Interest is an amazing show.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Point Breeze Penguins wrote:Person of Interest is an amazing show.
Only watched one episode but I thought it was pretty good. It's still in the DVR rotation.