George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by Spangler »

Actually GoT won the visual category of opening theme. The Borgias won for best "theme song".
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Well, that is ghey.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

FINALLY finished Book 5...spoilers ahead:
Spoiler:
No way Jon Snow is dead....NO WAY!!! He seems way too integral of a character (far more integral than the Starks at the time of the Red Wedding). I think he will come back, although not sure in what form (help from Melisandre, I'm sure)

Epilogue was interesting....Varys is quite an interesting character. I never had ill will towards Kevan Lannister, but the deed had to be done.

Hoping that Daenerys FINALLY travels west in Book 6...if I never hear about the cities of Slaver's Bay for the rest of the series that will be a book too late.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

shafnutz05 wrote:FINALLY finished Book 5...spoilers ahead:
Spoiler:
No way Jon Snow is dead....NO WAY!!! He seems way too integral of a character (far more integral than the Starks at the time of the Red Wedding). I think he will come back, although not sure in what form (help from Melisandre, I'm sure)

Epilogue was interesting....Varys is quite an interesting character. I never had ill will towards Kevan Lannister, but the deed had to be done.

Hoping that Daenerys FINALLY travels west in Book 6...if I never hear about the cities of Slaver's Bay for the rest of the series that will be a book too late.
Spoiler:
Calm down the Red priest is right there and will bring him back a la Catelyn Stark. I wish he was dead for good, they need to kill off some fluff and the wall politics stuff was getting boring.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Calm down the Red priest is right there and will bring him back a la Catelyn Stark. I wish he was dead for good, they need to kill off some fluff and the wall politics stuff was getting boring.
Spoiler:
I agree with what you are saying....when are The Others going to finally be a threat? Now that winter has arrived, I'm thinking shortly.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Spangler wrote:Actually GoT won the visual category of opening theme. The Borgias won for best "theme song".
Yeah Borgias opening song is way better than the crappy GoT one which reminds me of something out of Xena Warrior Princess.

There really is no comparison.

[youtube][/youtube]
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

shafnutz05 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I agree with what you are saying....when are The Others going to finally be a threat? Now that winter has arrived, I'm thinking shortly.
Spoiler:
I like the Wall stuff, but even it got a little monotonous in book five. The consensus, here and elsewhere, is that Snow will warg into his wolf.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Spoiler:
Throughout most of the series, Daenerys and the wall were my two favorite threads in the story. Both got a bit stale in book 5 but it seems like the stories will pick up in the next one.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Spoiler:
So are Jamie and Brienne headed for the Vale?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Spoiler:
On a side note, I hope to God the Meereen storyline is over....so over that place, and I never cared about any of the characters there.

Same with the Ironborn....Euron Crow's Eye and the rest of them don't interest me a bit.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

shafnutz05 wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I assumed they were heading for "Stoneheart".
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

all these spoilers are so tempting. I am half way through and actually forgot about the book, I need to get back on this...
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

the wicked child wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I assumed they were heading for "Stoneheart".
Spoiler:
Derp,my bad
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

John Hodgman (the I'm a PC guy etc.) interviews George: http://www.pri.org/stories/arts-enterta ... n6041.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin said that this was one of his favorite interviews he's ever given.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Second season will premiere in April 2012 http://www.aoltv.com/2011/10/09/game-of ... -premiere/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also... casting for Ygritte: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/10/game- ... se-leslie/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Breakdown of new characters/casting for Season 2. Minor spoilers. http://tv.ign.com/articles/118/1189387p ... ce=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by IrishEyes »

Okay. So I'm still in the process of reading Storm of Swords.
Spoiler:
Did NOT see the betrayal by the Freys coming. I think I should have, thinking back on it. But holy crap. I actually let out a gasp and an "Oh my God" while I was reading. I now fully understand it when someone said not to get attached to anyone.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Spoiler:
I was stunned, pissed, amazed all at once by that chapter. It was kinda sickening at the time.

I have to say that it's my favorite book though in the end.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by IrishEyes »

the wicked child wrote:
Spoiler:
I was stunned, pissed, amazed all at once by that chapter. It was kinda sickening at the time.

I have to say that it's my favorite book though in the end.
Spoiler:
I think, even while I was reading with eyes as wide as saucers, I still thought they'd get out of it somehow. That it wasn't actually going to end in both of them dead.

I haven't gone much further past that, but yeah, it's incredible.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

If anyone doesn't want to see spoilers do not go and look for information about the geographic history of Westeros.
Spoiler:
So Robb's death was mentioned. And the Red Wedding. And Catelyn as well. How far into SoS is it after Jaimie as Brienne get caught by the Bloody Mummers?.

Was it Bran who dreamed of Robb with the wolfs head or was in Dany in the spooky house?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

DelPen wrote:If anyone doesn't want to see spoilers do not go and look for information about the geographic history of Westeros.
Spoiler:
So Robb's death was mentioned. And the Red Wedding. And Catelyn as well.
Yeah... I would definitely have been mega pissed if anyone had spoiled that for me.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by IrishEyes »

I picked up A Feast For Crows on Monday. I was going to pick up the new one, as well, but $35.00 is a ridiculous price to pay for a book. Even if it is ASOIAF.

Was anyone besides me sort of confused at the beginning? It seems like it skipped a good chunk of time from SoS. And I am not liking the way other characters are mentioned, but not actually IN the book. (I guess this was a big thing when the book came out?)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The 4th and 5th books run largely parallel throughout as they were originally intended to be one long book. This is frustrating at times to be sure.

Minor spoilers (not plot related)
Spoiler:
The 5th book eventually reaches the point where the 4th ends and continues the overall story progression. Additionally, there i a chapter in both books which is told from a different PoV character which is kinda interesting.
ded viper

Post by ded viper »

There is a chapter of TWOW on GRRM's site for those interested
Spoiler:
it does not rhyme with weak
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by IrishEyes »

Just finished A Feast For Crows. Holy depressing, Batman.
Spoiler:
What happened with Arya is a bummer. As much crap as that girl has been through, she deserved better than to be blinded by some priest.

Same with Brienne. It doesn't say if she's dead or not, at least not definitively, but she deserved a far better fate than to be hanged on the orders of Zombie Catelyn.