GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Kraftster »

PensBeerGeek wrote:
Eismann wrote:
PensBeerGeek wrote:Tried the Guinness Black Lager tonight.

It will likely be popular, but there are schwartzbiers out there with more roasted character.
Which of the schwartzbiers do you like?
Bottled beers, Kostritzer is the standard, but the.Sam Adams Black Lager is tasty as well.

I've had a lot of good brewpub versions....one favorite was from my friend Ken's Bridge Brew Works.
The Kostritzer is the best I've had. I don't like the Sam Adams, too much bitterness, which I feel like I say often with Sam's beers that are supposed to be malty.

The Magic Hat schwarz is pretty good (Howl). There is a Duck Rabbit schwarzbier which is pretty good, similar to the Sam Adams in flavor but better imo. The brew pub ones are usually pretty good. The Hofbrau is good and I think I had one at Church Brew Works too. One in Colorado don't remember the name.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
count2infinity wrote:Weyerbacher Pumpkin Ale was okay... not a huge fan.
I tried it for the first time the other day. Didn't really care for it. Smelled like perfume and didn't taste that good.

I had Post Road Pumpkin last night and that was good.
I'm not feeling the Weyerbacher either. At 8%, though, it's doin' work.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I went to the Giant Eagle today to get another Pumking or two for the Steelers game tonight, but they were all out. I settled on the Ayinger Weizen Bock, which is very good, but not quite as seasonally relevant.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

largegarlic wrote:I went to the Giant Eagle today to get another Pumking or two for the Steelers game tonight, but they were all out. I settled on the Ayinger Weizen Bock, which is very good, but not quite as seasonally relevant.
Yeah, Sav-Mor is out of Pumking also. Anyone know if Duffy's or any other areas in S Hills has it?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I tried the Saranac Pumpkin today and it was pretty good. Also tried Sam's Harvest Pumpkin and I didn't care for it.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I had one of these last night. I'm assume there is far more to other smoked beers?
Nothing special.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Ben Klingston wrote:
largegarlic wrote:I went to the Giant Eagle today to get another Pumking or two for the Steelers game tonight, but they were all out. I settled on the Ayinger Weizen Bock, which is very good, but not quite as seasonally relevant.
Yeah, Sav-Mor is out of Pumking also. Anyone know if Duffy's or any other areas in S Hills has it?

Check Barley's and Hop's. They've slowly been putting it out so they can have some into October plus they had it on tap. I was at Duffy's the day it came in, every case was being held for others. I ended up getting 1 case at Save-mor and 1 case at the distributor in Bridgeville, and that was the last case he didn't have promised to a customer.

I'm drinking mine slowly and I'm not sharing it :P
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

columbia wrote:Image

I had one of these last night. I'm assume there is far more to other smoked beers?
Nothing special.
Haven't really been impressed with Stone beers overall.

Otter Creek has a Stovepipe Porter that I really like. Not sure how widely it's available though.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/119/431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

meecrofilm wrote:Got a keg of Penn Pilsner Octorberfest flowing right now :thumb:
I bought a case of that tonight, it's pretty good stuff. I really wanted to try the Great Lakes Oktoberftobest, but they were sold out. The Marzen/Octoberfest has become one of my favorite seasonals. Any suggestions on other good Octfests?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

eddysnake wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:Got a keg of Penn Pilsner Octorberfest flowing right now :thumb:
I bought a case of that tonight, it's pretty good stuff. I really wanted to try the Great Lakes Oktoberftobest, but they were sold out. The Marzen/Octoberfest has become one of my favorite seasonals. Any suggestions on other good Octfests?
Paulaner is my favorite Octoberfest. Flying Fish Octoberfest is pretty good too.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
Paulaner is my favorite Octoberfest. Flying Fish Octoberfest is pretty good too.

Spaten is my favorite. Heck. it's one of my favorite beers period.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

call me cheep but i always buy what ever is on special.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Forgot to mention that I had some Erie Brewing Co. Derailed (Black Cherry Ale) a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

I like Stones IPA. It's on the affordable end of 22 oz bottles at least at Market District. Good stuff. Going to make a run out there this week to check on some Pumpkin stuff.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I tried the Saranac Pumpkin today and it was pretty good. Also tried Sam's Harvest Pumpkin and I didn't care for it.
I really don't like the Saranac. Actually I don't think I like any of their stuff other than their Red is okay.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Kraftster wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I tried the Saranac Pumpkin today and it was pretty good. Also tried Sam's Harvest Pumpkin and I didn't care for it.
I really don't like the Saranac. Actually I don't think I like any of their stuff other than their Red is okay.
I feel the same about Saranac. The things I've tried tastes watered down to me.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I've searched bottle shops for this creme brulee stuff...can't find it. must be out of season already?
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

count2infinity wrote:I've searched bottle shops for this creme brulee stuff...can't find it. must be out of season already?
I found it at the Bottle Shop on 50 as recently as a week and a half ago, haven't been back to see if it's still there or if it was a limited run.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

count2infinity wrote:I've searched bottle shops for this creme brulee stuff...can't find it. must be out of season already?
The Creme Brulee Stout is a summer seasonal, so it might be out. Also, it comes in big bottles, so make sure you're looking in the right place.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Fayettenam doesn't have many options, but I did find a six pack shop that sold some singles of some Oktoberfest beer. The Atwater(?) Bloctoberfest wasn't bad, but it's not something I'd go out of my way for. But at $2 a bottle, I guess I shouldn't complain.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

I've been drinking a lot of Fat Tire out here and I have to say that the stiff definitely grows on you.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

ExPatriatePen wrote:I've been drinking a lot of Fat Tire out here and I have to say that the stiff definitely grows on you.
Try 1554. IU really enjoy that.

Also, see if you can find any Russian River stuff!
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16410/62761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I need to try this
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

stopper40 wrote:http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16410/62761

I need to try this
wow, that's the highest scoring beer i've seen on that site
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Kraftster wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:I've been drinking a lot of Fat Tire out here and I have to say that the stiff definitely grows on you.
Try 1554. IU really enjoy that.

Also, see if you can find any Russian River stuff!
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

I'm in Vegas now. Anyone know of any good local micro brews here?