TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: TV Shows

Post by tjand72 »

neophool wrote:Louie. it might be the best show on TV.
I'm not sure what to make of it. It's pretty great sometimes, but then other times it's like it's trying too hard to not be the norm. He's hilarious, but the last episode was a bit too melancholy - even for what the show is.

To steal a line from Family Guy: "It insists upon itself".
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

One of my favorite random parts of Louie this season was when he was pitching a movie idea to that exec...
Spoiler:
"I always wanted to make a movie where a guy’s life is really bad, and then something happens and it makes it worse. But instead of resolving it, he just makes bad choices, and then it goes from worse to really bad. And things keep happening to him, and he keeps doing dumb things, so his life just gets worse and worse, and darker.

He lives in a one-room apartment, he’s not a very good-looking guy, has no real friends, and he works in a factory where they…like a sewage disposal plant. And then he gets fired, so now he doesn’t even have his job at the **** factory anymore, and he’s going broke and takes a trip and it rains.

But then he meets a girl and she’s beautiful and he falls in love, so you think that’s going to be the thing, the happy thing, but then she turns out to be a crook and she robs him. She takes his wallet, and he’s stuck in the middle of nowhere and he’s got no wallet, no credit card. Like, what do you do? How do you even get home?"
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

meecrofilm wrote:One of my favorite random parts of Louie this season was when he was pitching a movie idea to that exec...
Spoiler:
"I always wanted to make a movie where a guy’s life is really bad, and then something happens and it makes it worse. But instead of resolving it, he just makes bad choices, and then it goes from worse to really bad. And things keep happening to him, and he keeps doing dumb things, so his life just gets worse and worse, and darker.

He lives in a one-room apartment, he’s not a very good-looking guy, has no real friends, and he works in a factory where they…like a sewage disposal plant. And then he gets fired, so now he doesn’t even have his job at the **** factory anymore, and he’s going broke and takes a trip and it rains.

But then he meets a girl and she’s beautiful and he falls in love, so you think that’s going to be the thing, the happy thing, but then she turns out to be a crook and she robs him. She takes his wallet, and he’s stuck in the middle of nowhere and he’s got no wallet, no credit card. Like, what do you do? How do you even get home?"
I know that that's the point of the episode/show, but there's a reason why shows aren't made like that. People don't like them. I want Louie to last forever, but there needs to be some sort of payoff, I think. If the show continues on this track, I don't see it lasting more than one more season.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

tjand72 wrote:
I'm not sure what to make of it. It's pretty great sometimes, but then other times it's like it's trying too hard to not be the norm. He's hilarious, but the last episode was a bit too melancholy - even for what the show is.

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
tjand72 wrote:

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?
Oatmeal.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

tjand72 wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:One of my favorite random parts of Louie this season was when he was pitching a movie idea to that exec...
Spoiler:

I know that that's the point of the episode/show, but there's a reason why shows aren't made like that. People don't like them. I want Louie to last forever, but there needs to be some sort of payoff, I think. If the show continues on this track, I don't see it lasting more than one more season.
I dunno, I'd totally see that movie. Especially if it were self-aware -- I think that'd be pretty damn funny (in a dark twisted way of course), if only just to crap on the normal cliché of hollywood rom-coms.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Point Breeze Penguins »

darrenrovell darren rovell
At $4.69/subscriber per month, ESPN is the most expensive channel on cable. #2? TNT at $1.16 (via @Ourand_SBJ)
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

last night's breaking bad had a serious shark-jumping vibe to it. i still enjoyed the hell out of it, however.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Point Breeze Penguins wrote:
darrenrovell darren rovell
At $4.69/subscriber per month, ESPN is the most expensive channel on cable. #2? TNT at $1.16 (via @Ourand_SBJ)
Basically can be traced back to when they got the NFL. Some interesting stuff about it in the ESPN book and how they were the first network to really capitalize on the dual-revenue stream.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

LOL. i think the best part of Hell's Kitchen was Ramsay busting Tommy's balls about the age of his gf during the outtakes at the end.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

I'm sick of waiting for the Mad Men season. So far away :(
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Tonight's Two and a Half Men = Terrible
Tonight's Roast of Charlie Sheen = Seth MacFarlene has been awesome
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

obhave wrote:I'm sick of waiting for the Mad Men season. So far away :(
January?
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

MWB wrote:
obhave wrote:I'm sick of waiting for the Mad Men season. So far away :(
January?
March 16th.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

shmenguin wrote:last night's breaking bad had a serious shark-jumping vibe to it. i still enjoyed the hell out of it, however.
Put an end to the cartel dynamic. Now we'll see what happens with Walter and Jesse.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Lol Conan's awesome
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

Physical_Graffiti wrote:Tonight's Two and a Half Men = Terrible
2 broke girls = terrible, however, kat dennings.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

It's unreal how amazing and awesome this season of breaking bad has been
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

G/f made me watch that 2 and a half fest. This show, with those types of jokes was the #1 comedy in all the land? You can't be serious... I didn't laugh once and the overdone laugh tracks and obvious pokes at Sheen's life were beyond stupid.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Watched "The Sing-Off." I'd seen some parts from the last couple seasons and thought it was ok. I generally stay away from the singing competition shows, but I actually enjoyed last night's episode.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

HIMYM cant have more than one more season left. I love the show but seriously, how did you meet her already?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

PensFanInDC wrote:HIMYM cant have more than one more season left. I love the show but seriously, how did you meet her already?
Plus NPH's character was the best part of the show, and they totally ruined him.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

meecrofilm wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:HIMYM cant have more than one more season left. I love the show but seriously, how did you meet her already?
Plus NPH's character was the best part of the show, and they totally ruined him.
i think jason segal has always been the best part of the show. barney is really contrived - which, i know is why he's funny, but it gets old for me.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

shmenguin wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:
i think jason segal has always been the best part of the show. barney is really contrived - which, i know is why he's funny, but it gets old for me.
As long as we all agree the best part of the show is not Ted. The show is less good because cobie smulders is less hot.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Pavel Bure wrote:
G/f made me watch that 2 and a half fest. This show, with those types of jokes was the #1 comedy in all the land? You can't be serious... I didn't laugh once and the overdone laugh tracks and obvious pokes at Sheen's life were beyond stupid.

Yeah, all they did was rip into to Charlie, and it was terrible. I used to like the jokes, but they only worked with Sheen there.

I'm thinking he somehow rises from the dead next year (or else the show is dead).
Last edited by Physical_Graffiti on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.