Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by Bowser »

Friday's pizza in the oven

Today's pizza on the grill

redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Looks like my brother's face in high school. :lol:
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Have some chicken marinating in a citrus tarragon marinade, and some shrimp in some lemon/shallot/garlic & herbs. Grilling out tomorrow! Woot.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i grilled mine right on the grill bowser, rather than on a pan, but still looks decent.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Bowser »

oh, I had the pizza on the pan for about a minute then took it off the pan for about 4 minutes.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Ron` wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Last year was my first year canning. Did pickles only both as cold pack and warm water bath for extended shelf life. Loved the cold pack (did some with garlic, some with pepper flakes and some with Jalapeno. ) because they stayed mostly crisp. The others were all mush and got tossed. Any tips on keeping the warm bath ones crisp and shelf stable beyond 6 weeks?
Did you add anything, been awhile but I think we used to add alum. It seemed to work. Used to use it for sliced peppers too, hungarians etc to keep them crisp.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/7 ... 5071.shtml
Have to try that. Thanks.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Drying assorted hot peppers in the oven grown in my garden. Will use them to make spice rub for my ribs and pulled pork all winter long.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I picked up some bratwurst, chorizo and italian sausage from my local butcher.
Yes.....it is better than anything at the grocery store.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

columbia wrote:Tifosi and chowder?
We need to take this to the cooking thread. :pop:
Ahem......

For the clam broth:
5 quarts of water in a big stock pot. Bring to a boil, add the clams and cover. After about 10 minutes the Cherrystones will be cooked enough to remove and reserve, the Quahogs will need a few more minutes, remove them and reserve as well. Strain the liquid to remove impurities and set aside until needed. Once the clams have cooled to the touch, open the shells and remove the meat and reserve. I like big chunks of meat in my chowda, but if you like smaller pieces feel free to chop these up.

On to the chowda:
4 oz guanciale, cut into 1//2" dice
2 Tbs unsalted butter
2 Tbs flour
1 medium brown onion, diced
2 Tbs pimentón picante
1 1/2 C reserved clam broth
3 large starchy potatoes (like Russets) peeled and cut into 1/2" dice
2 Tbs crème fraiche
Reserved clam meat

In a heavy-bottomed pot cook the guanciale over medium-high heat to render the fat. Once it's all brown and crispy, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside until needed later in the recipe.

Add the butter to the pot along with the onion dice. Saute until translucent, then add the flour. Cook that all down until a nice blonde roux is created (5-7 minutes or so) then add the pimentón. Cook that until fragrant, just a minute or so, then add the clam broth and potato pieces. Bring to a boil and cook for about 12-15 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Then add the reserved guanciale and clam meat. Cook for a couple minutes to bring the flavors together, then stir in the crème fraiche. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Enjoy.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

My clutch asparagus recipe:

Cook penne pasta until it's not quite al dente.
Cut asparagus into pieces of a similar size to penne.
In a frying pan, cook asparagus in enough stock to cover. I use vegetable stock, but chicken (or your favorite) stock will do as well.
Add penne. Reduce until only a tablespoon or so of stock remains.
Add cream and season with black pepper and warm it through. (You can add salt here if you like, but I wouldn't -- the coming cheese will add a lot of saltiness.)
Grate in parmesan cheese. (I use vegetarian cheese, but you can obviously go with Parmigiano-Reggiano.)
Cook until sauce thickens slightly.

Yum.

I actually haven't made this for several years, since I developed my allergy for asparagus. I hope I remember it correctly.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Spicy Thai Beef Salad
Before anyone asks.... yes, I forgot to include papaya. :face:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I work with a guy who went to culinary school and worked as a pro cook in several restaurants over the years. Folks here in the office like to give us 'Chopped' challenges; a list of anywhere from 2 to 4 ingredients that sometimes seem deliberately paired to provoke nausea. The idea is to come up with a recipe that can be made - start to finish - in 20 minutes.

Yesterday I got bacalao*, chard, raspberries and mirin. Chef guy got apple pie and broccoli.

:lol:

* When presented with products such as bacalao or dried mushrooms, it is presumed that the ingredient is in a usable form. For example, you need to soak bacalao in like six or seven changes of water overnight to remove the salt from the flesh before you can really cook with it. For the purposes of this challenge, we can presume the fish has already been soaked and is ready to be cooked.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

tifosi77 wrote:Yesterday I got bacalao
Two Fat Ladies: Jennifer Patterson - Bolinos de Bacalhau

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes ... index.html

Anyway, I'm gonna stop reading this thread. I feel like an infant. :lol:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

redwill wrote: Anyway, I'm gonna stop reading this thread. I feel like an infant. :lol:
Vegan recipes are always welcome. :P
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

My Breville juicer arrived today.

apples
carrots
ginger
tomatoes
spinach
cale
cabbage
beets
cucumbers
celery

All on my shopping list after I leave work.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

made a jerk marinade/rub for some chicken tonight done on the grill with a pineapple/avocado salsa and cilantro/lime rice. delicious.

tomorrow is jambalaya day!!!
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

columbia wrote:My Breville juicer arrived today.

apples
carrots
ginger
tomatoes
spinach
cale
cabbage
beets
cucumbers
celery

All on my shopping list after I leave work.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I made a gallon of juice.
Amazing stuff.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Aussies have made the world's hottest chilli, but what makes chilli hot, and what's the best cure for the burn?
But why did chillies evolve to be hot in the first place?

Most scientists believe capsaicin acts mainly as a deterrent against would-be mammal predators such as rodents. "If a mammal eats a chilli, the seeds are completely destroyed by the mammalian digestive system," says Mark.

But recent research suggests this may not be the whole story. US scientists working in Bolivia have studied how hot and mild chillies differ in their susceptibility to a certain harmful fungus. It turns out that the hotter the chilli, the better its defences against the fungus, leading the researchers to propose that heat may have evolved to help chillies deal with harmful microbes, as well as hungry mammals.

Birds, unlike mammals, are not bothered by capsaicin, and their digestive systems actually encourage chilli seeds to germinate. So when birds fly away and spread their droppings, they help the parent plant to disperse its seeds.

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/ ... e-heat.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I got a pre made meatloaf from market district today. Wow, it was good
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

columbia wrote:Aussies have made the world's hottest chilli, but what makes chilli hot, and what's the best cure for the burn?
Some guys at work brought in a hot sauce last week..... made of ghost chiles and a pure capsaicin extract that registered 3,000,000 Scovile units. Unquestionably the hottest thing I've ever eaten. We were trying portions about the size of a pinky finger nail and it would just completely knock us out of commission. It's called '15 Minute Burn', and has actually been banned in chili competitions.

That name is entirely misleading..... I was still feeling the effects of my 1/2 teaspoon consumption probably 8 hours later. Brutal. It tasted good and all, but..... like I said, brutal.

Then we saw the bit on the website that explained the sauce is not meant to be consumed directly, but used only as an additive....... whoops......... :face:

:lol:

As far as a cure for the burn, capsaicin is a chemical base. That means it can be effectively neutralized by an acid. But it is also an oil, which means it isn't water soluble. And since most acids that are fit for human consumption have a high water content....... you tend to have mixed results. One thing that works really well, however, is milk. Lactic acid isn't super high in pH, so it takes rather a lot of it. But it helps if the milk is frozen..... ice cream!!! So you get the immediate assist from the cold temperature of the product, and the lactic acid goes to work on the capsaicin.

On 15 Minute Burn day, I consumed about 85% of a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream in about 12 minutes. It was nowhere near adequate.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

You need to convince one of the developers to slip "Scovile units" into a game, as an axis of life force.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Not a bad idea! The value of 1 Scoville unit is 1.21 jigawatts. 8-)

I just posted that story on Facebook, btw. Share the wealth with my knucklehead friends. :D
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

A buddy of mine had some hot sauce like that. I dipped a toothpick in it and touched the tip of the toothpick to my tongue.

I thought I had to go to the ER
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

One of my brothers makes a habanero carrot relish/chutney/sauce/? that goes amazingly well with a baked ham.

Probably:

pureed carrots and habaneros
vinegar
garlic
onion
salt

It has the consistency of ketchup.