George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

André wrote:Dance theory:
Spoiler:
Melisandre revives Jon just like Thoros of Myr has with Beric Dondarrion. Thoros is a red priest too, but likely not as powerful as Melisandre. This could happen through fire somehow, making the Azor Azai (spelling) prophecy fit Jon even more.
Spoiler:
I'm seeing Jon warging over to Ghost permanently, perhaps in the first or section chapter of the next book. But I like your theory.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

16 new cast members for Season 2 (some mentioned before, but I hadn't seen a few of them)

http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/cable/hbo/ ... on-2/86984
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

from that link:
By the way, for those of you wondering if Christie is too pretty to portray Brienne, have no fear; writer George R.R. Martin says she showed up to the audition sans make-up, looking just like he'd imagined Lady Brienne.
Poor woman. I imagined Brienne is basically be a man.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

obhave wrote:from that link:
By the way, for those of you wondering if Christie is too pretty to portray Brienne, have no fear; writer George R.R. Martin says she showed up to the audition sans make-up, looking just like he'd imagined Lady Brienne.
haha ouch.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

the wicked child wrote:
haha ouch.
well in the book I did. Its obvious this woman doesn't look like a man, but reading that Martin thought she looked like Brienne makes me wonder what he imagined Brienne as in the book.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

obhave wrote:
the wicked child wrote:
haha ouch.
well in the book I did. Its obvious this woman doesn't look like a man, but reading that Martin thought she looked like Brienne makes me wonder what he imagined Brienne as in the book.
I know. I was referring to Martin's comments moreso than yours.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

the Jaqen H'ghar and Davos actors are almost exactly like how I imagined them in the book though.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

It really sucks that there is still so much time until the second season. Seeing all this casting news is getting me fired up for the show again.

I still have half of Dance with Dragons left, but that will only hold me over for so long. :lol:
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Waiting for the show is going to be terrible. Waiting for book 6 is going to be even worse :(
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

obhave wrote:Waiting for the show is going to be terrible. Waiting for book 6 is going to be even worse :(
Yeah, it's going to suck when I finish Dance.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

There are always the prequels, the Hedge Knight, the Sworn Sword, and a third story I can't remember (it's in this thread). I've got the graphic novel editions of the first two books, which look pretty interesting.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:There are always the prequels, the Hedge Knight, the Sworn Sword, and a third story I can't remember (it's in this thread). I've got the graphic novel editions of the first two books, which look pretty interesting.
Sadly this will only last me a month at most :(
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

obhave wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:There are always the prequels, the Hedge Knight, the Sworn Sword, and a third story I can't remember (it's in this thread). I've got the graphic novel editions of the first two books, which look pretty interesting.
Sadly this will only last me a month at most :(
Well, if you buy the full compilation books that contain those stories (Legends, Legends II, and Warriors), you'll have plenty of other short novellas from good fantasy authors to read. You might find another series you like.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Dance musings (contains spoilers):
Spoiler:
We know from many sources that “the dragon has three heads.” One of them is obviously Dany (riding Drogon), but who will be the other two heads is one of the main running questions in the series. Tyrion, Jon, Aegon, and other characters have all been proposed for the other two heads (Quentyn Martell ain’t one of them, that’s for sure). I think there’s been an assumption that the “heads” would be people who would ride the dragons. But with all of the wargs in the series (and Bran being trained as an über warg), does that have to be the case? Why ride the dragon when a warg could be the dragon? For example, Bran could be one of the heads by warging into Viserion or Rhaegal.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Just finished Dance... thoughts/comments/def major spoilers
Spoiler:
This has to be the worst book in regards to leaving things up in the air. It is almost maddening how many storylines are going on and how little we really know of them.

I'd assume Jon will become Ghost, or else why the prologue? It also would explain "but he never felt the fourth".

I'm not sure what to make of the letter from Ramsay. I find it hard to believe that 1) the entire battle holding the balance of power in north (and potentially more) would occur "off screen" so to speak 2) Had they actually attacked, they would have found and/or killed Theon. The thing that gives me at least a bit of pause was the bit about having Mance Rayder. Unless he was in fact that singer (Abel? something with an A)... but then the whole rest of the letter could be a ploy anyway.

Also interesting that the prologue of Feast finally made some sense with the last Arya chapter.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, but was fairly disappointed with how quickly it ended with so little resolved. I would have liked there to be at least a chapter or two in regards to Davos heading off to find Rickon rather than a mention, then the story disappearing for the rest of the book. Admittedly, that is more due to enjoying the Onion Knight's story than giving two figs about little Rickon.

It's going to suck waiting for the next book. It's hard to believe that the entire book could build up towards a battle for the North and then have it never actually occur (assuming the letter is BS). Just way too many cliffhangers overall.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Something that has been driving me nuts for awhile now... what is the proper pronunciation of "maester"?

Re-watching the show didn't help much as it seemed it was pronounced may-ster and my-ster almost interchangeably.

Also as a note, re-watching the show after reading the books gives a completely different perspective on some of the events... little things that just made me scratch my head the first time... but mainly I was able to follow all of the characters better. For instance, the first time through I forgot who Yoren was, so I was really scratching my head when he showed up at the sept of Baelor.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by IrishEyes »

Okay. So I just finished A Game of Thrones. I realize I'm a bit behind in all this, but it happens. I've done my best to avoid most of the spoilers in this thread (although, it's hard to not click that little button).
Spoiler:
Holy lots of information packed into one book! Even when it seemed to be "down time," there was still so much going on. I fully hated Sansa for a while with her starry-eyed crap over Joffrey. I really like Arya, but there were times when she annoyed me, too. It's easy to forget that most of the characters are children. So far, at least through book 1, Jon Snow is probably my favorite character. And Dany and the dragons? <shudder> That was crazy. I haven't seen the series yet, except for Episode 1. I decided to wait until I'd read the books. So now I have to go out and buy the second one.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Sansa is an interesting character in that I get the feeling one is supposed to feel sorry for her... yet her head in the cloud existence sometimes makes it tough to do so. Someone ranted about her earlier in this thread, actually. :lol: I've gone back and forth on that myself.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
André wrote:Dance theory:
Spoiler:
Melisandre revives Jon just like Thoros of Myr has with Beric Dondarrion. Thoros is a red priest too, but likely not as powerful as Melisandre. This could happen through fire somehow, making the Azor Azai (spelling) prophecy fit Jon even more.
Spoiler:
I'm seeing Jon warging over to Ghost permanently, perhaps in the first or section chapter of the next book. But I like your theory.
Spoiler:
I hope he stays dead the John chapters were annoyingly boring.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

the wicked child wrote:Sansa is an interesting character in that I get the feeling one is supposed to feel sorry for her... yet her head in the cloud existence sometimes makes it tough to do so. Someone ranted about her earlier in this thread, actually. :lol: I've gone back and forth on that myself.
I think I am supposed to feel sorry for her, but I find her extremely dumb and annoying. I just can't muster any feelings of sorrow towards her. I always seem to want less of her and more of Arya. I feel like I can connect with the rebellious, strong, spunky Arya over Sansa. I almost hated it when Sansa chapters were next.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

Just finished Dance.

I hate George R.R. Martin and his stupid face. =(
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

jaysmiter wrote:Just finished Dance.

I hate George R.R. Martin and his stupid face. =(
Haha. Now the FB status makes sense.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Peter Dinklage won an Emmy for playing Tyrion. Definitely deserved it.

GoT also won for best opening credit sequence.

I'm a little disappoint it didn't win best drama. Not surprisingly, that went to Mad Men.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

About 100 pages into Dance....spoilers leading up to that point
Spoiler:
1) Jaime's face turn has been interesting, to say the least.
2) Yes, the Red Wedding was God-awful to read. That was one of the worst plot twists (as in punches you in the gut) I've ever read.
3) I find myself being most sympathetic and pulling for Daenerys, especially with Barristan Selmy and the potential support of Dorne.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

shafnutz05 wrote:About 100 pages into Dance....spoilers leading up to that point
Spoiler:
1) Jaime's face turn has been interesting, to say the least.
2) Yes, the Red Wedding was God-awful to read. That was one of the worst plot twists (as in punches you in the gut) I've ever read.
3) I find myself being most sympathetic and pulling for Daenerys, especially with Barristan Selmy and the potential support of Dorne.
Spoiler:
1. definitely. It helps that Cersei goes so far in the opposite direction that all other living Lannisters seem preferable.
2. Still bothers me... Though the more I think about it, I guess the less surprising it should be that Robb died - after all he never was the POV character for a chapter despite leading the North to war.
3. I have enjoyed the Daenerys story from the beginning, though her story grew less interesting to me for awhile. Won't say anymore obviously till you've finished the book.
Non-related to the spoiler, def congrats to GoT on the emmys. I absolutely loved the theme song. Even when i rewatched the series, I had to watch the credits each time because it is so awesome.

And Tyrion is definitely one of my favorite characters, played to perfection by Dinklage.