Possible Nailers Playoff Game @ the Igloo!!!!

Forum for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Wheeling Nailers messages.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Possible Nailers Playoff Game @ the Igloo!!!!

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Hey, I might get too see a game this year afterall, lol.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Vanbiesbrouck »

That would be excellent. I'm sure the Nailers faithful would make the trip, in addition to the Pittsburgh hockey fans that would go support the team.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Typical bush league Wheeling move right here...double booking their arena is just bad. Way to take care of the fans.

They'e played at Iceoplex, Kirk Nevin in Greensburg, and Harmar Bladerunners for exhibitions in the past. It'll be interesting to see if they can outdraw the Xplosion at Mellon Arena.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I think that some of their out-n-about exhibition games are simply an attempt to get their name out there and try to attract fans that might otherwise never go to Wheeling. Sort of like a drug dealer giving hte first hit for free, lol.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Good analogy! "Hey, kid, you wanna try some Drew Fata? It's fun."
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

HA! Yeah... if you aren't introduced to the sport, you're not going to go to games. The Nailers don't get tv time, not do they command a big following. Plus, the ECHL (the third rung league on the #5 sport in the USA) doesn't exactly scream "come see us" Taking the game to other rinks within driving distance of the home rink lets people know about your team and the game. Then there is a much better chance of people actually going to Wheeling to see a regular game.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

True plus the tickets are really affordable. As much as I badmouth the Nailers organEYEzation, an afternoon or night there is an inexpensive family hockey event, when compared to NHL prices.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I can drive down, park, eat dinner at a restaurant, ticket on the glass, have nachos, and drive home for less money than the gate ticket price ALONE to a Pens game.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ginger »

Jim wrote:HA! Yeah... if you aren't introduced to the sport, you're not going to go to games. The Nailers don't get tv time, not do they command a big following. Plus, the ECHL (the third rung league on the #5 sport in the USA) doesn't exactly scream "come see us" Taking the game to other rinks within driving distance of the home rink lets people know about your team and the game. Then there is a much better chance of people actually going to Wheeling to see a regular game.
They do in Vegas. We have this fabulous arena & great in between period entertainment like Blue Man Group, Lance Burton magic, Kiss, :) & etc...plus pregame parties with free sandwiches & drinks, a rock band & free gifties.
'Course the city is a bit different than yer average city.
Nailers
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Nailers »

jimjom wrote:Typical bush league Wheeling move right here...double booking their arena is just bad. Way to take care of the fans.

They'e played at Iceoplex, Kirk Nevin in Greensburg, and Harmar Bladerunners for exhibitions in the past. It'll be interesting to see if they can outdraw the Xplosion at Mellon Arena.
The games in Greensburg and Harmar were home games for the Johnstown Chiefs, not the Nailers. The Nailers just happened to be the opponent for those games. The Nailers averaged over 3,000 in Wheeling this season. This Nailers organization is much different than the past regime. The Brooks Bros. have things moving in the right direction. Even the level of play is much better since they have taken over as owners. 2 out of 3 years they have been in the playoffs since the Brothers took over. I was told that Disney on Ice was booked even before the Nailers' schedule came out. That's life in minor league sports. The arena can't sit back and wait to see what happens, they have to make money as well. With that said, all of the Nailers home games will be played at Wesbanco Arena.