GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by stopper40 »

the wicked child wrote:I'm not fond of watermelon to begin with, so the thought of it in beer makes me feel nauseous.

I love watermelon and I didn't like this beer. I don't think it tasted anything like watermelon at all. Then again, and outside of watermelon I don't like anything that's watermelon flavored
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Troy Loney wrote:I had it once out of the can, and i didn't like it at all.
:shock:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Full Pint Chinookie, if you're into IPA's. If you prefer something smoother, less 'hoppy', Its Oktoberfest... many great regional brews from East PA like Stoudts and Victory, as well as the more traditional Penn & Hofbrau's available all over.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Pitt87 wrote:Full Pint Chinookie, if you're into IPA's. If you prefer something smoother, less 'hoppy', Its Oktoberfest... many great regional brews from East PA like Stoudts and Victory, as well as the more traditional Penn & Hofbrau's available all over.

I think regional brewers need to get together and offer regional, seasonal variety packs.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Troy Loney wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:Full Pint Chinookie, if you're into IPA's. If you prefer something smoother, less 'hoppy', Its Oktoberfest... many great regional brews from East PA like Stoudts and Victory, as well as the more traditional Penn & Hofbrau's available all over.

I think regional brewers need to get together and offer regional, seasonal variety packs.
That would be fricken awesome.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

the wicked child wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

I think i'm on to something here. How do we get this started?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Yeah, lots of good stuff in central/eastern PA. Troegs and Weyerbacher stand out.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Troy Loney wrote:
the wicked child wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

I think i'm on to something here. How do we get this started?
Call your PA congressman and ask them to please relax the beer sales laws and let places like Giant Eagle to let me buy a *&#$*&#$ six pack with my *$^#@*! groceries.

When my wife and I go to State College for the first football weekend at PSU, Wegmans is the first place we go, and we stock up on mixed sixers of seasonals and fest biers. The fridge at our condo is GLORIOUS.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Pitt87 wrote:Call your PA congressman and ask them to please relax the beer sales laws and let places like Giant Eagle to let me buy a *&#$*&#$ six pack with my *$^#@*! groceries.

When my wife and I go to State College for the first football weekend at PSU, Wegmans is the first place we go, and we stock up on mixed sixers of seasonals and fest biers. The fridge at our condo is GLORIOUS.
A fair number of our local Giant Eagles are heading in that direction. The Market District in Robinson sells beer, as does the Giant Eagle near me in West View. My favorite Giant Eagle in McIntyre Square on McKnight Road recently had one of those orange “application for liquor license” signs in its window, so I think a beer café is on the way there are well.

http://www.gianteagle.com/beer
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

Cracked the Sierra/Dogfish collaboration Life and Limb. It's classified as an American Strong Ale and is really a nice drinking beer for 10.2 ABV. The smell is very stout like, but the mouthfeel is thin with lots of dark fruit flavors you'd expect from a Belgian Strong Ale, finished with a nice hop bite at the end. With these two brewers it's obviously well crafted and certainly helped with a nice bittering hop addition. I'd prefer a bit more hops up front, but since I picked up two 750mls I'll age the second one.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

stopper40 wrote: I got a case last night at the Save more Beer & Pop Warehouse across the Homestead Grays Bridge.
I like this place. I've found some good/great beers there.

This place and Mellinger's are my 2 favorite distributors in the city.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Point Breeze Penguins »

The Sav-Mor place next to Wendy's is the best distributor in town IMHO.

It stocks a lot of good beer and has good prices.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

UVM2003 wrote:Cracked the Sierra/Dogfish collaboration Life and Limb. It's classified as an American Strong Ale and is really a nice drinking beer for 10.2 ABV. The smell is very stout like, but the mouthfeel is thin with lots of dark fruit flavors you'd expect from a Belgian Strong Ale, finished with a nice hop bite at the end. With these two brewers it's obviously well crafted and certainly helped with a nice bittering hop addition. I'd prefer a bit more hops up front, but since I picked up two 750mls I'll age the second one.
Gotta try this
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

shmenguin wrote:
UVM2003 wrote:Cracked the Sierra/Dogfish collaboration Life and Limb. It's classified as an American Strong Ale and is really a nice drinking beer for 10.2 ABV. The smell is very stout like, but the mouthfeel is thin with lots of dark fruit flavors you'd expect from a Belgian Strong Ale, finished with a nice hop bite at the end. With these two brewers it's obviously well crafted and certainly helped with a nice bittering hop addition. I'd prefer a bit more hops up front, but since I picked up two 750mls I'll age the second one.
Gotta try this
It's very solid - and not surprisingly it got better as it warmed. I'd of preferred pouring it at 50-55 rather than 42 degrees. Solid brew.

Now, if I could just get my hands on Stone 15...
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Have a friend from Portland in town this weekend. He brought more beer than clothes, so I'll have some good stuff to review over this weekend.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Point Breeze Penguins wrote:The Sav-Mor place next to Wendy's is the best distributor in town IMHO.

This is the place Stopper and I are talking about.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Kraftster wrote:He brought more beer than clothes.

That Is a heckuva friend!!
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

llipgh2 wrote:
Point Breeze Penguins wrote:The Sav-Mor place next to Wendy's is the best distributor in town IMHO.

This is the place Stopper and I are talking about.
It is
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Picked a case of pumkin last night, they had a handful of them over at the distributor on west liberty avenue. I talked to my friend last night as well...said he spent over $500 stocking up on pumpkin beers this year.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

$500? :shock:

I like idea, but the few I've had were too sweet for my taste.
Maybe I just had a bad version.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

columbia wrote:$500? :shock:

I like idea, but the few I've had were too sweet for my taste.
Maybe I just had a bad version.

He's obsessed with pumpkin beers, he's the one who got me into them back in 2008. I'm pretty sure that he's partly responsible for the pumpkin beer craze in this city, he would go to most of the bars that had it on tap and rave about pumpkin to anyone that would listen to him. Back in 08 we would go to Harris Grill every other night till they kicked their ST pumpkin keg.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Kraftster wrote:Have a friend from Portland in town this weekend. He brought more beer than clothes, so I'll have some good stuff to review over this weekend.
A weekend of debauchery with Portland beers.
Kraftster is about to earn another hipster stripe, whether he wants it or not. :pop:
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

UVM2003 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Gotta try this
It's very solid - and not surprisingly it got better as it warmed. I'd of preferred pouring it at 50-55 rather than 42 degrees. Solid brew.

Now, if I could just get my hands on Stone 15...
i'm obsessed with heavy duty belgian beer. ever try saint bernardus 12?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

columbia wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Have a friend from Portland in town this weekend. He brought more beer than clothes, so I'll have some good stuff to review over this weekend.
A weekend of debauchery with Portland beers.
Kraftster is about to earn another hipster stripe, whether he wants it or not. :pop:
lol!
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

shmenguin wrote:
i'm obsessed with heavy duty belgian beer. ever try saint bernardus 12?
I'm a huge Belgian quad fan myself. I love St bernardus 12, Rochefort 10, etc.

I encourage you to seek out a Westvleteran 12. It's rare but you can secure bottles via uncommon means, ie eBay, beer clubs, etc. The Abbey that brews it doesn't like its beer to be resold so you pay a premium. In Rome I paid 10 euro, and I pay about 25 a bottle here in the US. If you're a Belgian strong fan it's worth checking out, even with the high price tags.