Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by Ron` »

columbia wrote:Canning...that just transported me back to my country grandma's kitchen.
Though she never made salsa....lol.
It's not that bad, if you have the time and good recipies to make it worth while. We only can certain things, not all things. The salsa keeps well, just don't over cook it. Cut the heat when it starts to boil in the stock pot.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Speaking of preserving things...

Basil is cheap and plentiful these days and I like to pack it with some extra virgin olive oil in heavy duty freezer bags.
Pulling that out of the frost in February is nice.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Now is the time to start hitting the farm markets. Going to be a bad year for cabbage though as it was mostly too dry to get large heads. We usually make alot of stuffed cabbage and freeze them when the cabbage is in. There is a trick to this though to prevent soupy or freezer burned results, if anyone wants to know it.

Along with the salsa we did 16 quarts of stewed tomatoes for stock use over the winter. We also replenished our stock of sweet relish 1/2 pints. Our next project is pickled beets. We pre-ordered 50 lbs for end of next week and will do them that weekend. Easy to find recipies for canning beets and always good through out the winter as a side.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Do you use a pressure cooker for the canning or boil on the stove for the seal?
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

columbia wrote:Do you use a pressure cooker for the canning or boil on the stove for the seal?
We have both, but most of the stuff we do anymore is just boiling water canner material. Only certain things such as meat based soups etc require the pressure cooker canner. Plenty of info out there how to do it safe and right on the web.

We don't do normal vegetables like beans, corn etc... or can soups anymore. We make soups almost every sunday fresh and bake a fresh loaf of bread for football season. Items like the stuffed pork loin recipie are more for company, just the 2 of us now.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Cool...thanks for the info. :thumb:

Grandma columbia had a ginormous pressure cooker, but it's good to know that you can doing in boiling water also.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Wife actually blew the pressure relief out on our first pressure cooker canner. Scared the bejezus out of her. That may also play into why we stay away from canning stuff that requires it.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Any recommendations on a good pressure cooker? I'm in the market since I learned you can make stock in one in like 30 minutes.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

tifosi77 wrote:Artistic license. :lol:

The fennel and onion are cooked down until they are very very soft and sweet; so it's a play on the typical fruit component of the dish.

Besides, it's Eric Ripert's recipe. :P
:lol: I have post traumatic topping/side disorder from the selective criticism on chopped. Chutneys, slaws, remoulades, coulis, aiolis, compotes... All get harsh verbal beatdowns when used to the slightest differentiation of the textbook definition on that show... And I hate myself for thinking in those terms.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Speaking of slaw:
Lexington Style BBQ Slaw (a.k.a. Red Slaw)

1 lb green cabbage
4 tbsp ketchup or BBQ Sauce
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Finely chop or hand grate cabbage. Mix together other ingredients (scaling back seasonings to taste if BBQ sauce is used instead of ketchup), and pour over cabbage. Stir to coat, and chill, covered in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes -- preferably longer to allow flavors to blend.

Read more: http://www.slashfood.com/2009/01/03/nor ... z1VoCr0qH6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note the lack of mayonnaise.
It's basically a German recipe, many of whom settled in Lexington NC

Do it.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Last year was my first year canning. Did pickles only both as cold pack and warm water bath for extended shelf life. Loved the cold pack (did some with garlic, some with pepper flakes and some with Jalapeno. ) because they stayed mostly crisp. The others were all mush and got tossed. Any tips on keeping the warm bath ones crisp and shelf stable beyond 6 weeks?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

RIP: Joey Vento, 71, founder and owner of Geno's Steaks
http://www.philly.com/philly/obituaries ... teaks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like Pat's better...Probably because I can't speak English. :slug:
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

blackjack68 wrote:Last year was my first year canning. Did pickles only both as cold pack and warm water bath for extended shelf life. Loved the cold pack (did some with garlic, some with pepper flakes and some with Jalapeno. ) because they stayed mostly crisp. The others were all mush and got tossed. Any tips on keeping the warm bath ones crisp and shelf stable beyond 6 weeks?
Did you add anything, been awhile but I think we used to add alum. It seemed to work. Used to use it for sliced peppers too, hungarians etc to keep them crisp.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/7 ... 5071.shtml
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

columbia wrote:RIP: Joey Vento, 71, founder and owner of Geno's Steaks
http://www.philly.com/philly/obituaries ... teaks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like Pat's better...Probably because I can't speak English. :slug:
Aw, too bad...... rip, Joey. :(
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I lived across the street from Genos and Pats
(Well....Danny Faulkner Field - see Mumia - was in between but I could see them from my stoop.)

Good stuff....
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ILikeTurtles »

Chicken broccoli alfredo with a Great Lakes Oktoberfest.
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by K2 »

Bloody Mary Skirt Steak

2 cups Spicy Hot V8
2 tbsp. horseradish
4 cloves of garlic, minced
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
10-15 shakes of Tabasco (I used Cholula)
Pepper and Old Bay to taste
1 lb. skirt steak

Mix marinade, add steak, let rest overnight. Pat steaks with a paper towel, discard excess marinade. Grill to your liking. Let meat sit for 5 minutes before cutting.

Great meal, and under 300 calories a serving
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I was very shocked when i read this recipe because i thought, "how could that even be close to tasting good???" but it's actually quite a good, refreshing, light side dish for any labor day picnics you guys may be having.... did i mention you could do it for very little cost as well?

Dressing Ingredients:
2/3 cups oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar

Salad Ingredients:
1 pkg. cole slaw mix (or you could go with the cabbage and carrots and shred them yourself...just keep it about 12 oz.)
2 bunches of green onions (chopped)
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup sunflower seeds
2 pkg. chicken ramen noodles (raw, broken up into very small pieces, with seasoning)

Mix dressing ingredients and let sit overnight, do not refrigerate. (this is exactly what the recipe says, but i'd imagine just mixing up the dressing ingredients before adding to the salad ingredients would work just fine) The next day… Mix salad ingredients. Add dressing and toss. Let stand for a few hours.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Ah yes. I've had that at a picnic before. It was surprisingly tasty.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

My friends mom makes that ramen salad, it's awesome! Any of yinz ever have that fried salad with bacon grease, vinegar, and sugar?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

jimjom wrote:My friends mom makes that ramen salad, it's awesome! Any of yinz ever have that fried salad with bacon grease, vinegar, and sugar?
My buddy's girl does that at Thanksgiving. It's good, but not great
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

meow wrote:
jimjom wrote:My friends mom makes that ramen salad, it's awesome! Any of yinz ever have that fried salad with bacon grease, vinegar, and sugar?
My buddy's girl does that at Thanksgiving. It's good, but not great
Yeah its a weird taste and texture. I'm not crazy about it but I'll eat it if it's there.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Bowser »

ok guys, I need a really good idea for a sweet sauce to use on pizza as I'm going try to make a pizza on the grill....
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I was watching DDD tonight and they had this awesome brick oven pizza joint in Glendale on. Man did their pies look amazing, especially the four-meat one.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Some of my recent efforts:

Über -Chili 2.0

Shrimp 'Rendang'

Made some simple miscalculations/mistakes in each, but they're easily correctable.

The chili needs to be a little bit wetter when served (forgot my finishing butter, so that addition might fix things enough), and the shrimp needs more green in the garnish (like cilantro or basil). I also think the next time I make the shrimp I'll use lemongrass and omit the garlic. Not that the flavors were bad in tonight's meal, but I think I can improve on what I had.