The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: 93.7 The Fan Now On

Post by doublem »

They're getting paid: it's called a free ride to an education. If they can't see the value in that, then they shouldn't be in college in the first place
Free education for athletes is pretty pointless and I'm sure if they could get around not going to college they would.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

To go to OSU it's 35k a year. So it's not like it's some LOL amount of money they are being compensated. It's a good amount and more than any college student could ask for. http://undergrad.osu.edu/money-matters/ ... -fees.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pryor is a Raider btw
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

i think they should be allowed to sign endorsement contracts and maybe get a cut of their jersey sales, but a salary is a joke. why not pay the students who make your engineering school or medical school one of the best in the world?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Defence21 »

Malkamaniac wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:They aren't victims. They understand the rules, and none of us can clearly imagine what it would be like to have that kind of stuff sitting in front of you.

We're all the broke college kids, jealous because they are getting hand outs and are now holding them to the fire because of what they're doing.

I think the ideals of the NCAA is flawed, I think that something should happen, and I don't feel bad when kids get kicked out of college for selling stuff, as that's the rules that are there, but I'm not going to pretend I care if they are making money in any way they can. I don't know their situation at all.

I do know however, that if I had my name on the back of a jersey, selling MILLIONS a year compared to the LOL60k free education for a gangster.

I'm getting the money any way I can and I be willing to bet anything, given the same situation, most of you would also.
Actually, I wasn't a broke college kid -- not a rich college kid either -- but I worked enough in summers to have money throughout the year and enjoy myself. I'm not jealous in the least -- and if the gifts were handed to me, I'd be taking them too. But to suggest that athletes in college should be paid is ridiculous. They're getting paid: it's called a free ride to an education. If they can't see the value in that, then they shouldn't be in college in the first place.
Most of them only go to college because the NCAA is the only reasonable route to go to get to the nfl. I'm glad you see the disconnect, considering most of these kids come from crime ridden impoverished homes who value money as the end all be all.
First of all, "most of these kids" don't come from crime ridden impoverished homes. Some do. Not most. College is about education, something these kids are given an opportunity to get for free, while other similar students without athletic skills are stuck paying $50,000-$100,000. They're given a gift by the college, one that many choose not to accept and instead look only at the money that's right in front of their nose. But if they'd actually play it smart, they'd focus on their education AND athletics so they have an opportunity for a sustainable future.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Let's just go ahead and cut out all football players. I'm simply talking about the hyped ones that are going to get high draft picks.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

First of all, "most of these kids" don't come from crime ridden impoverished homes. Some do. Not most. College is about education, something these kids are given an opportunity to get for free, while other similar students without athletic skills are stuck paying $50,000-$100,000. They're given a gift by the college, one that many choose not to accept and instead look only at the money that's right in front of their nose. But if they'd actually play it smart, they'd focus on their education AND athletics so they have an opportunity for a sustainable future.
We're going to agree to disagree on this, as I see your point, and you see mine. The NFL is a felons league. If you're good, it doesn't matter what you do, but you'll get there.

I really do think there's no way you can compare a student in college "giving it a good old college try" to a "first through 3rd round" draft pick student athlete.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

joopen wrote:
slappybrown wrote:"The only true talents who bring in a bunch of $ individually are getting free preparation for that huge NFL contract they will soon sign."

This only applies to jerseys. The collective players are what drive TV contracts and attendance, which is where the real money is.
No, the conferences and the schools drive those. Are the networks signing a huge deal with the Big 10 because ZOMG!!!11!! OSU HAZ TIREL PRIOR? No they sign it because the history of the schools and the expectation that the conference continues at or above its current level of play. By your theory, they should go ahead and pay the recruits who have committed to the schools while they are still in HS because, ya know, they are driving that TV contract :roll: . They aren't professionals. When they are professionals then they can get paid. Apprentices go thru the same thing. College football is essentially an apprenticeship for the NFL. What about residencies for doctors? They are doing the same thing as full time MD's but aren't getting near the same compensation. Why shouldn't they just start taking medical supplies and sell them? They are driving the revenue for the hospital. So, yes it does happen in other avenues too. You do it and deal with it. Don't cheat and then whine like a little girl because the rules aren't fair. Life isn't fair. Wait 3 years and you will be fully compensated. Its not a difficult, or unusual concept.
The idea that they arent "professionals" is laughable. Any number of people playing DI ball could be in the pros right now. WTF was John Wall doing at Kentucky? WTF was Derrick Rose doing at Memphis?

The logical hole in your apprenticeship theory is that residents need the education to perform the surgery. If Terrelle Pryor were good enough to go to the pros and make a roster then he should be allowed to do that. But he isn't even given that choice. The only option he has to is to sell his labor at a fixed price far below its actual value.

And again, I AM NOT ARGUING THAT TERRELLE PRYOR SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED/DEEMED INELIGIBLE to play for OSU. He agreed to abide by NCAA regs. He failed to do so. The punishment was a 5-game suspension. That's the way it works. Your fervent argument for the application of rules is missing the point of this discussion -- whether or not the NCAA (in terms of DI football and basketball) is irretrievably broken and paying lip service to some outdated and laughable notion of "amateurism"? Anyone who doesn't masturbate to righteous authority of the NCAA can see that it's a horrifying entity in need of reform?

The schools and conferences drive those because THEY ARE MADE UP OF PEOPLE WHO CAN DO INCREDIBLE THINGS ON A FOOTBALL FIELD. How much would the TV contracts be worth if you took a minor league football league made up of 20 teams with 60 roster spots, and paid those players? That's 1200 players -- more likely than not the best ones -- gone from the free NCAA labor pool. How exciting is going to be to watch NCAA football that is significantly lower quality than it is now? How much is the NCAA baseball contract worth? Because that's the type of competition you have at the collegiate level if you have a real minor league system.

You can put all the eyerolls you want in your posts. You can't answer the crux of the question -- why is it ok for these people to sell their services at a price set by anyone else, when the value of those services is way, way higher? The hospital comparison is so inapposite to what we are talking about that its not even worth of further discussion (e.g., people don't voluntarily go to the hospital like they do football games; if theres some hospital that wants to exorbitant salaries to its residents go for it; are there people lining up down the block to get their spinal surgery surgery done by a resident?).
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

joopen wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
joopen wrote:
slappybrown wrote:"The only true talents who bring in a bunch of $ individually are getting free preparation for that huge NFL contract they will soon sign."

This only applies to jerseys. The collective players are what drive TV contracts and attendance, which is where the real money is.
No, the conferences and the schools drive those. Are the networks signing a huge deal with the Big 10 because ZOMG!!!11!! OSU HAZ TIREL PRIOR? No they sign it because the history of the schools and the expectation that the conference continues at or above its current level of play. By your theory, they should go ahead and pay the recruits who have committed to the schools while they are still in HS because, ya know, they are driving that TV contract :roll: . They aren't professionals. When they are professionals then they can get paid. Apprentices go thru the same thing. College football is essentially an apprenticeship for the NFL. What about residencies for doctors? They are doing the same thing as full time MD's but aren't getting near the same compensation. Why shouldn't they just start taking medical supplies and sell them? They are driving the revenue for the hospital. So, yes it does happen in other avenues too. You do it and deal with it. Don't cheat and then whine like a little girl because the rules aren't fair. Life isn't fair. Wait 3 years and you will be fully compensated. Its not a difficult, or unusual concept.
Unless you're a surgeon, I'd imagine by hurting his hand severly enough to not be able to perform surgery. Players risk the ability lose millions every second spent on the field while a jersey with their name on it, sells millions, because of the skill they've shown.

I'd say those two avenues of "unfairness" are completely different.
Then pay high school players... same concept
Not in any way. Where is the market for high school athletes? What high school is generating 9.2mm in royalties like UGA did in 2009?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Defence21 wrote:If they can't see the value in that, then they shouldn't be in college in the first place.
Agreed. I am 18. My chosen profession is professional football player. What do I do to achieve that goal and play in the NFL?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Pavel Bure wrote:To go to OSU it's 35k a year. So it's not like it's some LOL amount of money they are being compensated. It's a good amount and more than any college student could ask for. http://undergrad.osu.edu/money-matters/ ... -fees.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pryor is a Raider btw
I'm not even asking for full fledged salaries (I'd be fine with it). But selling memorabilia? Your own jersey? No endorsements? Come on.

How much would OSU pay Pryor if they had to bid on his services? Let's negotiate down from there. No one cares about joe schmoe who goes to OSU. No one buys his jersey. No one pays money to watch him play football.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

slappybrown wrote:
Defence21 wrote:If they can't see the value in that, then they shouldn't be in college in the first place.
Agreed. I am 18. My chosen profession is professional football player. What do I do to achieve that goal and play in the NFL?
Yep...it's not like the NFL has any interest in spending money to develop talent (in an alternate route).
The current setup is a dream for them, form a business perspective.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

columbia wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
Yep...it's not like the NFL has any interest in spending money to develop talent (in an alternate route).
The current setup is a dream for them, form a business perspective.
When it works as well as it does for the NCAA and the NFL, they'll have a stranglehold on that situation for a very long time.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

The owner of my gym was an NFL Europe Champ for the Rhein Fire....

(hope this ends the neverending NCAA/Pay College Players Argument)
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Troy Loney wrote:The owner of my gym was an NFL Europe Champ for the Rhein Fire....

el oh el NFL Europe.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Troy Loney wrote:The owner of my gym was an NFL Europe Champ for the Rhein Fire....

the barcelona dragons logo was awesome.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

slappybrown wrote:The idea that they arent "professionals" is laughable. Any number of people playing DI ball could be in the pros right now. WTF was John Wall doing at Kentucky? WTF was Derrick Rose doing at Memphis?
Name me ONE person who could come out of high school and not get absolutely pummeled and destroyed in the NFL? Sorry, no one can make that jump. Are you trying to tell me that John Wall and Derrick Rose HAD to go to the NCAA? They could have played one year of professional basketball overseas, made money, and still been drafted where they were. The NBA made a decision to not allow kids to come directly out of HS. Oh well. These kids aren't victims or slaves or whatever you want to call them. No they should not be allowed to be paid in college above and beyond what they are already getting for free. Agree to disagree, you aren't going to change my mind that these kids aren't being taken advantage of. Free school, the best opportunity for placement in their chosen field of expertise (football or basketball), free food, free shelter, a stipend. Yea they are so horribly taken advantage of to be given all that for FREE.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Did not know James Harrison played for the Fire.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

joopen wrote:
slappybrown wrote:The idea that they arent "professionals" is laughable. Any number of people playing DI ball could be in the pros right now. WTF was John Wall doing at Kentucky? WTF was Derrick Rose doing at Memphis?
Name me ONE person who could come out of high school and not get absolutely pummeled and destroyed in the NFL? Sorry, no one can make that jump. Are you trying to tell me that John Wall and Derrick Rose HAD to go to the NCAA? They could have played one year of professional basketball overseas, made money, and still been drafted where they were. The NBA made a decision to not allow kids to come directly out of HS. Oh well. These kids aren't victims or slaves or whatever you want to call them. No they should not be allowed to be paid in college above and beyond what they are already getting for free. Agree to disagree, you aren't going to change my mind that these kids aren't being taken advantage of. Free school, the best opportunity for placement in their chosen field of expertise (football or basketball), free food, free shelter, a stipend. Yea they are so horribly taken advantage of to be given all that for FREE.
WHO IS CALLING THEM VICTIMS OR SLAVES? What imaginary poster are you arguing with?

And again, its not that they get those things for "free" - they simply do not. They receive those in exchange for selling out, eg, Ohio Stadium. It is not "free." What they receive pales in comparison to what they put in.

My point has consistently been that (1) they receive less value for their services than they should and (2) the NCAA is horrifyingly corrupt.

But, agreed we have taken this as far we can.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Nothing in this world is free.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

If we can get this thread to 937 pages the station will be better
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

DudeMan2766 wrote:If we can get this thread to 937 pages the station will be better
By better do you mean go away?
Ned Braden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Ned Braden »

Are Pryor or any of those Miami guys working for The Fan now? All of a sudden this thread turned into being about them? lol
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

joopen wrote:
slappybrown wrote:These kids aren't victims or slaves or whatever you want to call them.
WHO IS CALLING THEM VICTIMS OR SLAVES?
ImageImage
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan1989 »

JS© wrote:
joopen wrote:
slappybrown wrote:These kids aren't victims or slaves or whatever you want to call them.
WHO IS CALLING THEM VICTIMS OR SLAVES?
Spoiler:
ImageImage
I encourage you to THINK
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Member »

Did I really just hear a Trib Radio commercial on the Fan?