Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by tifosi77 »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:I like to add roasted corn to my guac, and use Cholula hot sauce to give it some background action.
So how do you do that? Just buy some corn on the cobb and throw it on the grill without husks to roast it? Then strip the kernals off?

Do you use the Cholula AND cayenne... or just one or the other?

I forgot that I throw fresh dice tomato's (plum) straight out of the garden in it too.

Seems it should be corn or tomatos and not both though right?

Anyone else have any ideas?
Crap, I'm sorry I missed your reply, ExPat....

The way I do it is to soak the corn - husk and all - in water for 10 minutes or so. Throw them on the grill for 7-8 minutes turning often to par-cook them, then remove and let them cool to the touch. Remove the husks then brush the corn with some oil and back on to the grill until the kernels have your desired level of browning. Then just use a knife to shave the kernels off the cob. You can do the first bit of cooking hours (days even) in advance, just make sure the corn is at room temp before going back on the fire for the second cook. And of course, you can amp up the flavor by making a seasoned butter to use as the lipid instead of oil - I've used ground cumin with good results in the past. Or just use butter, period. Your call.

I don't usually put cayenne in my guac, just a chile or two and the Cholula. I tend to favor serrano chiles, but I've also had some success with red Fresnos. The red is a nice color contrast, too, as I don't like tomatoes in my guac so much. If you like the acidity from the tomatoes, a couple drops of a good quality vinegar can wake up flavors, too.

My guac base:
2-3 Haas avocados, cored and removed from skins
juice of 2 limes
1/2 medium red onion, minced
1 Tbs minced garlic
1-2 serrano chiles, seeded (or not) and minced
1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
Cholula to taste
s&p to taste
1 ear roasted corn (if using)

Wait until after you make it to the consistency you want before folding in the corn. I prefer guac a little bit on the chunky side, fwiw; if you like it smoother, you can add a Tbs or so of extra virgin olive oil.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

tifosi77 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:I like to add roasted corn to my guac, and use Cholula hot sauce to give it some background action.
So how do you do that? Just buy some corn on the cobb and throw it on the grill without husks to roast it? Then strip the kernals off?

Do you use the Cholula AND cayenne... or just one or the other?

I forgot that I throw fresh dice tomato's (plum) straight out of the garden in it too.

Seems it should be corn or tomatos and not both though right?

Anyone else have any ideas?
Crap, I'm sorry I missed your reply, ExPat....

The way I do it is to soak the corn - husk and all - in water for 10 minutes or so. Throw them on the grill for 7-8 minutes turning often to par-cook them, then remove and let them cool to the touch. Remove the husks then brush the corn with some oil and back on to the grill until the kernels have your desired level of browning. Then just use a knife to shave the kernels off the cob. You can do the first bit of cooking hours (days even) in advance, just make sure the corn is at room temp before going back on the fire for the second cook. And of course, you can amp up the flavor by making a seasoned butter to use as the lipid instead of oil - I've used ground cumin with good results in the past. Or just use butter, period. Your call.

I don't usually put cayenne in my guac, just a chile or two and the Cholula. I tend to favor serrano chiles, but I've also had some success with red Fresnos. The red is a nice color contrast, too, as I don't like tomatoes in my guac so much. If you like the acidity from the tomatoes, a couple drops of a good quality vinegar can wake up flavors, too.

My guac base:
2-3 Haas avocados, cored and removed from skins
juice of 2 limes
1/2 medium red onion, minced
1 Tbs minced garlic
1-2 serrano chiles, seeded (or not) and minced
1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
Cholula to taste
s&p to taste
1 ear roasted corn (if using)

Wait until after you make it to the consistency you want before folding in the corn. I prefer guac a little bit on the chunky side, fwiw; if you like it smoother, you can add a Tbs or so of extra virgin olive oil.
That sounds awesome. I'll have give that a shot.

As I said before, the Gauc I made last night was the first bowl that emptied. I didn't make a small portion either,

But Your Gauc sounds great, it'll be the next one I make.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i made pizza tonight (same recipes i've posted before in here) but i decided to grill the dough for the bbq bacon chicken pizza. put the grill on high and grilled the dough for about 1-2 minutes on both sides, put the toppings on and finished it in the oven. made a really nice crispy crust. it was awesome.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Grilled or fried dough for pizza; always a winner.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Bowser »

before the summer is out, I plan on making a grilled pizza by using homemade ingredients for dough and sauce and of course, fresh mozzarella.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i thought maybe i could grill it with toppings on it, but really the dough cooks way too fast for the toppings (cheese) to cook and get nice an bubbly and melty, so you almost have to just grill the dough and then finish it in the oven.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Since I am sick of terrible, expensive gluten-free breads from stores, I decided to try and make my own.

Irish Soda Bread:
http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/g ... abread.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since I'm not also dairy-free, I used unsalted butter instead of dairy-free, and buttermilk instead of coconut milk. After a few attempts, this turned out to be pretty good! Not too different from the original recipe I had posted in this thread previously.

White sandwich bread:
http://www.celiac.com/articles/21706/1/ ... Page1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I used 2 eggs in the place of the flax seed/water mixture.

Applesauce Bread:
http://www.cookingbread.com/recipes/glu ... ecipe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gluten-free breads are so much more tricky to make. Everything has to be perfect or the bread with fall apart or not taste right.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i had an ex who couldn't eat gluten. i made pizza once with a rice flour mixture. i actually really enjoyed the dough itself as it had a sweet, almost pastry taste to it.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

count2infinity wrote:i had an ex who couldn't eat gluten. i made pizza once with a rice flour mixture. i actually really enjoyed the dough itself as it had a sweet, almost pastry taste to it.
Do you happen to still have it? Pizza dough is my next adventure once I get back to school.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i do not... sorry.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

count2infinity wrote:i thought maybe i could grill it with toppings on it, but really the dough cooks way too fast for the toppings (cheese) to cook and get nice an bubbly and melty, so you almost have to just grill the dough and then finish it in the oven.
Did you use indirect heat? And/or brush the dough with oil and precook a little?
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I made a killer Sausage and shrimp jumbalya on vacation for the first time. Made the seasoning at home and added some personal touches to it. (hot sauce, and a small diced banana peper) Spicy but not hot, and just totally great quick meal. Looked like a killed my self to make it and everyone raved. Video on youtube by a guy named chef john.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Roast Loin of Kurobuta Pork with Fennel-Onion Compote and Dijon Sauce
(Overcrowded my plate a bit - four slices of pork, should have been three; I was hungry, sue me.)

Salad of Heirloom Tomatoes with Sherry Vinaigrette, Basil, and Smoked Maldon Sea Salt
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The fennel sprigs on top is a nice touch.

PS Damn, now I'm really hungry!
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

blackjack68 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:i thought maybe i could grill it with toppings on it, but really the dough cooks way too fast for the toppings (cheese) to cook and get nice an bubbly and melty, so you almost have to just grill the dough and then finish it in the oven.
Did you use indirect heat? And/or brush the dough with oil and precook a little?
my grill is pretty much impossible to use indirect heat on that big of a pizza (i was making it for a potluck) but i could give indirect heat a shot if i'm just making small pizzas. I brushed the dough with oil and no precook.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

tifosi:

Where did you get the Kurobuta Pork?
I'm assuming that it is pretty good, relative to most of what is available on the market.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

It's a place called Snake River Farms, in Idaho. They are a top producer of Wagyu beef and recently began raising Kurobuta (100% Berkshire) hogs.

SRF products are used in some of the best restaurants in the U.S., and this year they started distributing to a local specialty grocer called Bristol Farms. It's definitely pricier (a bone-in shoulder will cost $4-$5/lb, a rib roast will be ~$10/lb - roughly double the costs of 'normal' pork) but great crikey Robinson is it delicious.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

You hear about how pork once tasted very different than it does now.
I assume this falls in that category.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I would imagine..... the British government gave a slew of Berkshire hogs to the Japanese emperor 150-ish years ago as a present where the locals promptly began tending to the animals with the same sort of zeal they bring to Wagyu beef.

Today's Kuobuta are all decedents of those first few hundred hogs sent to Japan......
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

tifosi,

is that really considered a compote?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Artistic license. :lol:

The fennel and onion are cooked down until they are very very soft and sweet; so it's a play on the typical fruit component of the dish.

Besides, it's Eric Ripert's recipe. :P
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Made that roasted corn guacamole tonight with some chicken fajitas. Pickled up some red onion to go on top and some fresh pico. Stuffed. Really enjoyed the flavor of the corn w/ the avocado. All around awesome meal.

Gonna pickle some bell pepper tonight and make a filet Philly tomorrow w pickled veg and fresh cut fries. Woot.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

the wicked child wrote:made this tonight... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty tasty. :thumb:
I was reading through the thread and thought you might like this one. You can vary the stuffing if you don't like crab, ie cornbread etc....

Stuffed Pork Loin (winter favorite for sundays) serves at least 6

Ingredients:
3 lb Pork Loin, boneless
1 8 oz can of Crab Meat
¼ cup green onions, fine chopped
1 small Red Bell Pepper, fine chopped
1 cup of seasoned Bread Crumbs
3 Tbsp of Mayonnaise
½ teaspoon fresh ground Pepper
½ teaspoon Salt
1 Egg beaten

Recipe instructions: Pick a cut with a small layer of fat which creates necessary moisture. Next decide if you want a Loin Roast or Chops. For a Pork Loin roast to be stuffed you need a 3 lb cut. Chops need to be at least 1 inch thick/ sliced to ½ inch. The real trick is how you cut the chop or loin. For a loin cut it about ¾ - 1 inch laterally, not all the way, then down and back. So it unfolds into a flat cut. Pound the opened loin flat with a meat tenderizer. Dust the open face of the meat with the bread crumbs. Mix the remaining ingredients to form the stuffing. Spread (loin) or stuff it into your meat. Roll (loin) or stuff and wrap with baking twine. Bake at 375 for about 1 hour, covered with foil for about 1 hour, then uncover to brown.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

For those of you that have gardens and can, this is the best canning recipie for lime based salsa I have found. Made 17 pints Saturday.

http://seasonalontariofood.blogspot.com ... salsa.html

The amount of lime juice per jar (3 tablespoons) is per a quart jar, use half that for pints (1.5 tablespoons)
Last edited by Ron` on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Canning...that just transported me back to my country grandma's kitchen.
Though she never made salsa....lol.