LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: LGP Science Thread

Post by doublem »

Why do you keep saying things I never said?
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Since I never know when to make a new thread, I though this link fit best here as it is Biology related:

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animal ... exual-ones" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

Homosexual bird marriages just as strong as heterosexual ones

I'm glad that time is being spent exploring important issues like that.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

P_G is still pissed off about what happened, the last time they screened "The Birds" at the drive in.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I can't imagine how many millions (nay, billions) of dollars are spent on ridiculous "scientific" studies like that.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

doublem wrote:Why do you keep saying things I never said?
count2infinity wrote:lol...like i said, everyone has an excuse. it's no one's fault.
Notice the word "I" in the above quote??? I said this. It's seeming as though that there's so much "research" out there that shows it's not anyone's fault, you're not responsible for your own actions, it's just your brain doing its thing. Drives me insane with the over diagnosis of ADD as just an example. I'm sure the over diagnosis of "addiction" is going to follow suit now that it's considered a "disease".
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

columbia wrote:P_G is still pissed off about what happened, the last time they screened "The Birds" at the drive in.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

:wink:
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

count2infinity wrote:
doublem wrote:Why do you keep saying things I never said?
count2infinity wrote:lol...like i said, everyone has an excuse. it's no one's fault.
Notice the word "I" in the above quote??? I said this. It's seeming as though that there's so much "research" out there that shows it's not anyone's fault, you're not responsible for your own actions, it's just your brain doing its thing. Drives me insane with the over diagnosis of ADD as just an example. I'm sure the over diagnosis of "addiction" is going to follow suit now that it's considered a "disease".
Not to get off topic or do a retread of past conversations, but Hammer was right earlier in this thread. Once you recognize the "physical" nature of the brain (be it just thoughts or addiction, ADHD, or any other "disease" you are really conceding that there is no free will at all.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Off the current topic. Watching Through the Wormhole - Does Time Exist right now. This Julian Barbour has a pretty interesting theory. Basically there is no time, there is only space -- everything is a freeze frame, and motion, change, time are all illusions created by our brain. Its interesting because it takes the opposite approach to the dilemma of time than Peter Lynds does (I've mentioned him a few times on here, some pretty cool ideas). Lynds says that there ar no instants of time. Barbour says its all instants and there is no dynamic nature to time.

Fun.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Define time.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

How would Barbour explain the perception of the passage of time?
(I'm substituting perception for acknowledgment, btw.)
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

columbia wrote:How would Barbour explain the perception of the passage of time?
For purposes of this answer (which is my best explanation based upon my understanding) "prior" and "future" do not refer to time, but rather the order of snapshots that are the only reality (according to Barbour)).

The "now" obhave physical brain possesses everything that the one prior "now" obhave did. Allowing it to "observe" (bad word probably) change (the rest of the snapshot is different than the prior snapshot) and it translates change into motion when its actually just a different snapshot, which is unconnected to the prior snapshot apart from coming after it.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Kraftster wrote:
For purposes of this answer (which is my best explanation based upon my understanding) "prior" and "future" do not refer to time, but rather the order of snapshots that are the only reality (according to Barbour)).

The "now" obhave physical brain possesses everything that the one prior "now" obhave did. Allowing it to "observe" (bad word probably) change (the rest of the snapshot is different than the prior snapshot) and it translates change into motion when its actually just a different snapshot, which is unconnected to the prior snapshot apart from coming after it.
I need Kovy27's suicide emote for this, cause head just got blown.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

So it's like a film, made up of stills?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

columbia wrote:So it's like a film, made up of stills?
That's what this guy says, only there's nothing connecting the stills. Stills stacked on top of one another.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Rylan wrote:
Kraftster wrote:

I need Kovy27's suicide emote for this, cause head just got blown.
It is really hard to get your head around, I still have lots of questions and don't totally understand it. Its an incredibly skeptical view for a scientist to have, seemingly changing everything about science.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Kraftster wrote:
That's what this guy says, only there's nothing connecting the stills. Stills stacked on top of one another.
It kinda makes sense. I had to read a few times to grasp what you were meaning.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Rylan wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
The thing I struggle with is how the brain "perceives" anything. I have a hard time understanding what perception would be in the scenario, since perception, as we commonly understand would be part of the dynamic physical process of chemical reactions in the brain.

I guess what I struggle to understand is how each snapshot is just a still and not some small (perhaps even infinitesimally small) segment of fluid time. How can the brain trick us if there is no fluid time within which for it to "perceive."
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Kraftster wrote:
Like a slide show.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Kraftster wrote:
Rylan wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
The thing I struggle with is how the brain "perceives" anything. I have a hard time understanding what perception would be in the scenario, since perception, as we commonly understand would be part of the dynamic physical process of chemical reactions in the brain.

I guess what I struggle to understand is how each snapshot is just a still and not some small (perhaps even infinitesimally small) segment of fluid time. How can the brain trick us if there is no fluid time within which for it to "perceive."
Perhaps its like the "sausage finger." Hold your index fingers pointing towards each other. The brain will fill in what it thinks should be there. Perhaps between the stills the mind fills in what it thinks should happen to connect the stills?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

That's my thinking Rylan. The "stills" are so close together in space that the brain fills in the "time" aspect of it.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I think what you are saying makes sense, I think it is what this Barbour guy would say -- it feels fluid because that's what our brain makes us believe, though it is just an illusion.

What I don't get is how the brain can "perceive in a still" to even be able to blur it all together for us.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

What bhaw said. The stills can be impossible to seperate and yet still have gaps. So because they are so close the brain is capable of filling in the gaps.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Rylan wrote:What bhaw said. The stills can be impossible to seperate and yet still have gaps. So because they are so close the brain is capable of filling in the gaps.
Like film?