TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: TV Shows

Post by meecrofilm »

canaan wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:So far, this season of Louie seems a bit darker than the 1st. Still funny, but not as many big laughs. There's definitely a bit more melancholy present.
its all over the map in terms of writing, but im enjoying it.
This past week's episode with Joan Rivers was definitely the best one so far IMO.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Kerry Fraser wrote::thumb: to the 2nd episode of this season's Curb. The scene were he was in the battered woman's safehouse was pure gold.
great episode. I'm loving the divorced Funkheiser, he was hilarious last night. Leon continues to be awesome, does that guy do standup or anything? I'd love for him to get a spinoff show.

Finished the first season of Party Down and made it through the steve guttenberg episode in the 2nd season. They cancelled this after 2 season right? How is that possible?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Interesting article on "The Best" shows of the last 10 years.... saying that Breaking Bad edges out The Wire, Sopranos and Mad Men for the honor:
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/676 ... -decisions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, to my chagrin, I'm becoming more of a Bill Simmons fan. Grantland is a pretty good site.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

eddysnake wrote:
Kerry Fraser wrote::thumb: to the 2nd episode of this season's Curb. The scene were he was in the battered woman's safehouse was pure gold.
great episode. I'm loving the divorced Funkheiser, he was hilarious last night. Leon continues to be awesome, does that guy do standup or anything? I'd love for him to get a spinoff show.

Finished the first season of Party Down and made it through the steve guttenberg episode in the 2nd season. They cancelled this after 2 season right? How is that possible?
There are rumors about the possibility of a Party Down movie coming out. Search the interwebz, as there are tons of articles on it.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

MWB wrote:Interesting article on "The Best" shows of the last 10 years.... saying that Breaking Bad edges out The Wire, Sopranos and Mad Men for the honor:
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/676 ... -decisions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, to my chagrin, I'm becoming more of a Bill Simmons fan. Grantland is a pretty good site.
good article.

i'd still stick with the wire as my favorite, but i understand his points about breaking bad.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

USA has some good shows on this summer. I love Royal Pains, Covert Affairs is good, and I enjoy In Plain Sight.

The return of Leverage and The Closer on TNT makes me so happy!
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

shmenguin wrote:
MWB wrote:Interesting article on "The Best" shows of the last 10 years.... saying that Breaking Bad edges out The Wire, Sopranos and Mad Men for the honor:

good article.

i'd still stick with the wire as my favorite, but i understand his points about breaking bad.
I agree, but it will be interesting to see where breaking bad goes this season.
Kerry Fraser
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Kerry Fraser »

Larry David is such an unbelievable writer. Every episode of Curb starts off with 3 or 4 seemingly separate plots, but they always come together in the end in an uproarious way.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Kerry Fraser wrote:Larry David is such an unbelievable writer. Every episode of Curb starts off with 3 or 4 seemingly separate plots, but they always come together in the end in an uproarious way.
Much like his seinfeld days
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Breaking Bad premiere was a little bit slow but they seem to always use the 1st episode of the season to re-acclimate the viewer...
Spoiler:
Though the slaughter was pretty ridiculous
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Also, due to insomnia, I watched Freaks and Geeks and then Undeclared, 2 episodes of each... they were on some IFC channel... funny to see those actors 10 years ago (Jason Segel, James Franco, Seth Rogen, etc.)

Also just noticed the dad in Freaks and Geeks is the heckler from Happy Gilmore
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

BadHands71 wrote:USA has some good shows on this summer. I love Royal Pains, Covert Affairs is good, and I enjoy In Plain Sight.

We finally finished the San Lorenzo job, and haven't started the new season yet. Been keeping up better with Combat Hospital and Falling Skies, and cut the backlog of Sons of Anarchy down to 5 episodes left. (We had the whole season of 13 on there when they aired the season finale). Oh, and we watched Rescue Me's season premiere.
Spoiler:
what is it with pregnant storylines? between Rescue Me, In Plain Sight, How I Met... some of those have to be because the actress was actually pregnant
Oh, and caught up on Burn Notice. Interesting twist at the end of this past week's episode.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

BadHands71 wrote:USA has some good shows on this summer. I love Royal Pains, Covert Affairs is good, and I enjoy In Plain Sight.

necessary roughness is actually entertaining as well and i went into watching it as a "the wife wants to watch it" kinda show, but its pretty decent/funny.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Every time I hear ads for necessary roughness I think they're talking about the movie with Kathy Ireland.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

MWB wrote:Every time I hear ads for necessary roughness I think they're talking about the movie with Kathy Ireland.
a guilty pleasure of mine.

"Welcome to foot... BALL!"
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

No Jean-Phillipe again on Hell's Kitchen... very disappointing.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

the wicked child wrote:No Jean-Phillipe again on Hell's Kitchen... very disappointing.
Gordon gave him a baller gig at one of his restaurants and doesnt have time for it anymore, which is a letdown, because hes pretty funny. (he had some talking parts on Ramsay's "The F Word" series that was pretty righteous)
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Mr. Colby wrote:Breaking Bad premiere was a little bit slow but they seem to always use the 1st episode of the season to re-acclimate the viewer...
Spoiler:
Good start to the season.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

canaan wrote:
MWB wrote:Every time I hear ads for necessary roughness I think they're talking about the movie with Kathy Ireland.
a guilty pleasure of mine.

"Welcome to foot... BALL!"
You're not alone on this one.

[youtube][/youtube]
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

MWB wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:Breaking Bad premiere was a little bit slow but they seem to always use the 1st episode of the season to re-acclimate the viewer...
Spoiler:
i agree. it had me at the edge of my seat the whole time
Spoiler:
and i don't think that part was too ridiculous. the theme of the show is this downward spiral into something terrible. amping things up like they did makes perfect sense.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

shmenguin wrote:
MWB wrote:
Spoiler:
i agree. it had me at the edge of my seat the whole time
Spoiler:
and i don't think that part was too ridiculous. the theme of the show is this downward spiral into something terrible. amping things up like they did makes perfect sense.
Spoiler:
Agreed. I thought it would have been even better if Gus didn't say a word the whole time he was there.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Hell's Kitchen...
Spoiler:
The guys team is joke city so far. 2 services, 0 entrees served. Elsie doing Pittsburgh proud as the token all attitude, little substance chef for the season :face:

Also, I wonder if Carrie & Brendan actually slept together, or it was just staged to appear like it. I don't trust much on the show these days.

Given that every single challenge comes down to one last point, I'm convinced that they determine the winner and then stage it to appear closer than it should be. Otherwise it wouldn't come down to the last point so often.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Has anyone seen Louis CK's show on FX? I haven't but I think he's a funny guy. I just saw the commercial for it. I'm going to check it out...
Kerry Fraser
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Kerry Fraser »

KG wrote:Has anyone seen Louis CK's show on FX? I haven't but I think he's a funny guy. I just saw the commercial for it. I'm going to check it out...
I like Louis CK, but that show is crap.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

KG wrote:Has anyone seen Louis CK's show on FX? I haven't but I think he's a funny guy. I just saw the commercial for it. I'm going to check it out...
Watched last season. Pretty good. Haven't seen this season yet, but have episodes saved on dvr.