George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by columbia »

**** Martin to be interviewed this hour on "On Point" ****

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2011/07/12/grrm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

columbia wrote:**** Martin to be interviewed this hour on "On Point" ****

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2011/07/12/grrm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OK who is Harry from Pittsburgh calling in now?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Amazon delivered Dance for my Kindle this morning. Read about 10% before work. I'll probably be finished either tonight or tomorrow.

This is one of the disadvantages of being a fast reader. I wait years for a book and then finish it in hours.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Shyster wrote:Amazon delivered Dance for my Kindle this morning. Read about 10% before work. I'll probably be finished either tonight or tomorrow.

This is one of the disadvantages of being a fast reader. I wait years for a book and then finish it in hours.
I'm a very slow reader and end up forgetting what I've read a few months later. It's great for rereading or when the movie comes out later, but I'm starting to think I shouldn't be forgetting things like this so soon?
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Shyster wrote:Amazon delivered Dance for my Kindle this morning. Read about 10% before work. I'll probably be finished either tonight or tomorrow.

yeah I read books (during the summer) in a day or two. Most of his other books I read in two days. This one will probably be the same. I don't mind it to be honest.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Finished Dance. I think it's the nature of Martin's writing that it's hard to be fully satisfied with what you read, and this book shares that with all the others. It's not bad, though. I'd say better than Feast.

He better not take another five years to write the next one. I think more than any entry in the series so far, Dance takes great pains to leave as many of its characters as possible hanging from their fingertips from metaphorical cliffs.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Shyster wrote:Finished Dance. I think it's the nature of Martin's writing that it's hard to be fully satisfied with what you read, and this book shares that with all the others. It's not bad, though. I'd say better than Feast.

He better not take another five years to write the next one. I think more than any entry in the series so far, Dance takes great pains to leave as many of its characters as possible hanging from their fingertips from metaphorical cliffs.
do you feel like you get anywhere with this one or is it more traveling and waiting?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Emmy Noms for Game of thrones:

Best Drama Series: Game of Thrones
Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister
Writing in a Drama Series: David Benioff and Dan Weiss for "Baelor"
Directing in a Drama Series: Timothy van Patten for "Winter is Coming"
Casting in a Drama Series: Nina Gold and Robert Sterne
Costumes for a Drama Series: Michelle Clapton and Rachael Webb-Crozier for "The Pointy End"
Hairstyling in a Single-Camera Series: Kevin Alexander and Candice Banks for "A Golden Crown"
Main Title Design: Angus Wall, Robert Feng, Kirk H. Shintani, and Hameed Shaukat
Non-prosthetic Makeup in a Single-Camera Series: Paul Engelen and Melissa Lackersteen for "Winter is Coming"
Prosethtic Makeup in a Series: Paul Engelen and Conor O'Sullivan for "A Golden Crown"
Sound Editing for a Series: Stefan Hendrix, Tim Hands, Michelle McCormack, Steve Fanagan, Andy Kennedy, Jon Stevenson, Robin Whittaker, Caoimhe Doyle, and Eoghan McDonnell
Special Visual effects for a Series: Adam McInnes, Angela Barson, Lucy Ainsworth-Taylor, Raf Morant, Henry Badgett, Damien Mace, Stuart Brisdon, and Graham Hills
Stunt Coordination: Paul Jennings
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

thats awesome
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

nevermind
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

whatever
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I have no idea what the good wife is, but the supporting actor category looks pretty good for Tyrions chances
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

eddysnake wrote:do you feel like you get anywhere with this one or is it more traveling and waiting?
To be honest, it leans more towards traveling and waiting. I can think of a handful of significant questions I have in regards to this series as a whole. A Dance with Dragons answered none of them.

I also have a piece of advice. I’ll be vague to avoid spoilers, but something you will read in Dance will be much more meaningful if you’ve read one of the three Hedge Knight novellas. As a reminder, “The Hedge Knight” is in Legends, “The Sworn Sword” is in Legends II, and “The Mystery Knight” is in Warriors. I won’t say which one (you should read them all, and in order, anyway), but one of these will provide some significant context for one of the events in Dance.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Shyster wrote:
eddysnake wrote:do you feel like you get anywhere with this one or is it more traveling and waiting?
To be honest, it leans more towards traveling and waiting. I can think of a handful of significant questions I have in regards to this series as a whole. A Dance with Dragons answered none of them.

I also have a piece of advice. I’ll be vague to avoid spoilers, but something you will read in Dance will be much more meaningful if you’ve read one of the three Hedge Knight novellas. As a reminder, “The Hedge Knight” is in Legends, “The Sworn Sword” is in Legends II, and “The Mystery Knight” is in Warriors. I won’t say which one (you should read them all, and in order, anyway), but one of these will provide some significant context for one of the events in Dance.
never heard of those, have to check it out. Thanks, are these stories sold as one, or do you need to buy the collection and read those?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

eddysnake wrote:never heard of those, have to check it out. Thanks, are these stories sold as one, or do you need to buy the collection and read those?
None of the three stories have been sold stand-alone in their original form. There are graphic-novel adaptations of the first two novellas, but I would rather read Martin’s original words than a comicbookized version.

The first link above is the complete Legends as originally published (annoyingly, it’s not available on Kindle). I think I have the right link for the full paperback equivalent of the original hardcover. I can’t find a similar version of Legends II. When they converted it from hardcover to paperback, they seem to have split the book in two. The link above is the half that contains “The Sworn Sword” (you want the half subtitled “Dragon, Sword, and King”). I don’t see any new print versions of the full book, although you could shop used. The full Legends II is available for Kindle. Warriors has similarly been split in half. The link is to the complete book as originally published (and Kindle version), but there are also two split paperbacks floating out there. If you go for a paperback version, make sure you get the one with “The Mystery Knight” in it. The multiple splits and versions of all of these books makes it very confusing to make sure you have the right one.

These three novellas are set decades before the time of Game of Thones and center around Ser Duncan the Tall. If you have a good memory, that name has appeared in both the regular ASoIaF books and the TV show.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Making pretty good progress in Clash of Kings. Seems I'm only finding time to read on the weekends.

I'm enjoying the book a lot.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Finished Clash of Kings. Found that I couldn't really put it down.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

A bit into Storm of Swords now. One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how often the different story threads go in a direction completely different than I had been expecting.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

The Wicked Child: I'm jealous. CoK and SoS are so very sweet.

DoD was really good imo. Not quite as excellent as CoK and SoS, but not far off, and definitely an improvement over FoC.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Enjoying Dance of Dragons a great deal. I'm having trouble keeping all of the characters together in my mind, even though I started reading the series the first week of June. I don't know how someone could go years between reading the books without losing ones' mind. I'll probably re-read the books prior to the TV series coming back next spring.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Storm of Swords is awesome. It seems like it gets better with each chapter. I'm almost sad to put the book down.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I really need someone to create a Google Maps edition of Westeros. Instead of car/mass transportation directions, there could be directions and travel times for wayns and mounted riders.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

http://tv.ign.com/articles/118/1184812p1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Season 2 is only going to be 10 episodes. This concerns me. Are they going to skimp on details? Or are they planning to tell the story across multiple seasons?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Good link to some casting news for season two in the following link, with comments in spoilers (just in case): http://tv.ign.com/articles/118/1182548p1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spoiler:
Stephen Dillane played Thomas Jefferson in the great HBO miniseries John Adams, he definitely has the heft to play Stannis. I can't really comment on the other two, by Van Houten was good in Black Book.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

:shock:

Storm of Swords spoilers
Spoiler:
Holy ****. Martin sure does love to kill off main characters. Wasn't expecting Catelyn and Rob to go down.