George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by the wicked child »

I'm glad everyone is openly talking about what characters are in the later books. I'd hate to actually find that out for myself later on. /sarcasm
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

the wicked child wrote:I'm glad everyone is openly talking about what characters are in the later books. I'd hate to actually find that out for myself later on. /sarcasm
Gotta love Martin. In his books, the mere fact that a given character is still alive is a major spoiler.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

the wicked child wrote:I'm glad everyone is openly talking about what characters are in the later books. I'd hate to actually find that out for myself later on. /sarcasm
Darth Vader is also Luke Skywalkers father

I put the spoiler in. I was in a hurry when posting earlier. My apologies.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Book 4 came out back in 2005. Spoilers are fair game in a thread about the books imo. #readfaster.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Or you could not be a dick and take an extra fraction of a second to use a spoiler when posting. It's not like this is a martin or GoT forum... we have one thread for everything, and there are new fans due to the show.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

the wicked child wrote:Or you could not be a dick and take an extra fraction of a second to use a spoiler when posting. It's not like this is a martin or GoT forum... we have one thread for everything, and there are new fans due to the show.
In my defense I am on my phone and it takes me like 5-7 seconds to add a spoiler tag. Maybe even more...
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he was more talking about André's post.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Yeah... PFIDC's was the one that pushed me over the edge, but it was relatively harmless. I was thinking more of Andre and some posts from last week about who wasn't in the 4th book and it annoyed me.

if we had separate thread for each book or something it would be my own dumb fault, but we are confined to one, so it shouldn't be too hard to play nice with everyone.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

the wicked child wrote:Yeah... PFIDC's was the one that pushed me over the edge, but it was relatively harmless. I was thinking more of Andre and some posts from last week about who wasn't in the 4th book and it annoyed me.

if we had separate thread for each book or something it would be my own dumb fault, but we are confined to one, so it shouldn't be too hard to play nice with everyone.
I really don’t think it’s a secret, though. Books 4 and 5 are basically one book split in two, and the way Martin decided to do it, certain characters appear only in one or the other. The characters who didn’t appear in Book 4 will be covered in Book 5, and the ones who were in Book 4 will have to wait until Book 6 to show up again. Martin announced that years ago. In fact, he never intended for these two books to be written in their current form. IIRC, he originally intended for there to be a substantial time-skip in the series after Book 3—one along the line of several years—and started writing Book 4 accordingly. But he found himself spending too much time on flashbacks the like, so he ended up scrapping that material and starting over.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

I'm gonna speak for anyone who is new to the series because I'm just reading the 1st book now...

Going by how Game of Thrones ended, the mere mentioning of a character in a future book is enough of a spoiler. You just don't know who's safe anymore.

And I doubt anyone who is new to the series knew about how book 4 and 5 are being handled.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Spangler wrote:I'm gonna speak for anyone who is new to the series because I'm just reading the 1st book now...

Going by how Game of Thrones ended, the mere mentioning of a character in a future book is enough of a spoiler. You just don't know who's safe anymore.

And I doubt anyone who is new to the series knew about how book 4 and 5 are being handled.
Exactly. I am less than 200 pages into book 2, so hearing about who is in 4 or 5 is just a bit of a spoiler.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

On a more pleasant note, just read one of my favorite lines ever in a book...
Spoiler:
"If I could pray with my #$%^, I'd be much more religious". Tyrion Lannister... so evil... yet so awesome.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Review of A Dance with Dragons here: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0 ... 74,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some minor spoilers, but nothing huge.

Although I am new to the series, I was under the impression that the fifth book will be the last - but the review says that Martin plans on writing seven books. This is good news, as long as it isn't 6 years between books. :pop:
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

Oops. Sorry if I´ve posted a spoiler. I hate that, as I want everyone to read and enjoy the books. My apologies.

On this topic, however, I still really think there should be two separate threads. One for the books and one for the TV-show. For obvious reasons.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

One thread for the bandwagoners you mean.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

AlexPKeaton wrote:One thread for the bandwagoners you mean.
Nothing worse than a latecomer to book club, who is wearing a Clemente jersey.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Review of A Dance with Dragons here: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0 ... 74,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
that review sounds promising, I have a week to get through the last half of feast of crows, don't think that will happen though.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

Anybody know of any bookstores in the Pittsburgh area that may be doing a midnight launch party for this?

I know it's happening elsewhere around the country, and I know bookstores have done this for Harry Potter before...so...any ideas?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I'm a bit past the halfway point in Clash of Kings. In general, it is very good, but there are two things which are bothering me thus far:
Spoiler:
500+ pages and only 2 Danerys chapters
The Bran chapters. I really hope that story picks up or ends. Totally boring me thus far.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

the wicked child wrote:I'm a bit past the halfway point in Clash of Kings. In general, it is very good, but there are two things which are bothering me thus far:
Spoiler:
The Bran chapters. I really hope that story picks up or ends. Totally boring me thus far.
Spoiler:
Stick with the Bran storyline. You will be satisfied
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

PensFanInDC wrote:
the wicked child wrote:I'm a bit past the halfway point in Clash of Kings. In general, it is very good, but there are two things which are bothering me thus far:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Stick with the Bran storyline. You will be satisfied
Spoiler:
Yeah, I'm 400 pages into Feast and I'm liking the Bran storyline (so far). I was very bored with it for a while, too. Now where did Rickon go? (I don't really want to know, but I do want to know. Does that make sense?)
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

woowoo book out tomorrow! Hopefully audible has it day 1, I think they will because the Amazon page had an audio version already listed. Although I have to get through my current book before I can start this.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Review of A Dance with Dragons here: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0 ... 74,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That review makes the book sound way better than book 4. Although if you are currently reading the series and are around book 3-4 I wouldn't read that review. Anywhere before that and the spoilers won't matter because you won't be caught up enough to notice them.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Another review, from Salon.com: http://www.salon.com/entertainment/tv/g ... th_dragons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lengthy New Yorker magazine article from April that talks about Martin's fan base: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011 ... act_miller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

That Salon review has a lot less spoilers than the time.com one.