Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Jagr to PHI

Post by relantel »

penny lane wrote:God-willing & creeks don't rise~ I hope I am at the penguin game when Evgeni, Sid or both pass up #68 in
all time points!
They may not get there, but here's hoping!

Maybe the penguin crowd should whistle at jags as the flyer crowd use to do!
Well, as far as all-time Pens... Crosby is 507 points behind Jagr. And Malkin is another 154 back of Crosby. 1079-572-418. So going to be a long time...
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

I think announcing that the number won't be reissued would be enough. There's no reason to put up a banner and try to manufacture a ceremony for a guy who inspires more hatred than nostalgia among the fan base.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Exclusive iSport.cz interview "Jagr revealed the truth: Pittsburgh did not want me!" translated here:

http://www.letsgopens.com/tomas_translations.php?id=70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a teaser for the actual long interview that will be printed in the paper on Monday. If they post it on the Internet, I'll append the translation (though iSport.cz often puts more in the paper compared to their web edition). The link inside the translation leads to the actual Google-translated article. (Note, though, that Google translator ocassionally gives the sentence exactly the opposite meaning - e.g. the headline of this interview).

PS: Standard disclaimers: I translated it within a few minutes, so there still may be some grammatical/stylistic errors. Therefore, DO NOT REPOST the interview. Post the link (which I will very likely update when I find/fix the errors). The meaning, however, should be pretty clear. And give credit to Letsgopens.com. I bet RJ Ackerman would appreciate some extra traffic targetted to his site.

And on the personal level, quit, if possibly, crying "but Jagr promised Mario he would come to play for the league minimum!" If you believe adults should be forced to fulfill every sligtly hyperbolic tributary praise they say, you probably still think Easter Bunny is for real... :twisted:
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Big Easy Pens Fan »

Funny that a player like Jagr would basically admit that he wouldn't be able to adjust to playing on the "other side" of the power play. Think Sid would do that? Uhhh, no. He'd just work on it all summer and...problem solved. :pop:

BEPF
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

llipgh2 wrote:It's obvious he felt intimidated, threatened, jealous, whatever...by Sid, Geno, Datsyuk and Zetterberg. He has no real on ice threats to his hockey manhood from teammates in Philly. Which is why he chose Philly.

It really wasn't the money. It was his ego. He perceives no chance of it being bruised there.
This is pretty much exactly what I think, the more I read.
Tomas wrote: you probably still think Easter Bunny is for real... :twisted: [/size]
Wait.... what?

Thanks, Tomas. :thumb:
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Thanks, Tomas. Jagr makes an interesting point about team travel times, something someone in Jagr's situation (older, accustomed to a shorter season) should consider. But to me the most telling comment from this excerpt is that he liked that the Flyers no longer had their established leaders, Richards and Carter:
For me it is an advantage since I am joining a team that does not have a clear hierarchy. To the contrary, a new team is being formed where I’ll be finding my own position
This would make sense if he were 25 years old, but it really begs the question of just why he wants to return to the NHL at this point in his career. Since it sounds like he's only planning to play for one year, I would think a return would be to try to win the Stanley Cup one last time. But for Jagr it just sounds like he wants ice time and to be allowed to "find his own position". But why? He really has nothing left to prove, and I don't see why he'd want to be back unless it were to win the Cup, which is not nearly as likely to happen with the Flyers as it is with the Pens or Wings.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Ben Klingston wrote:
Tomas wrote: you probably still think Easter Bunny is for real... :twisted:
Wait.... what?
I'm sorry you had to find out this way, Ben. :lol:
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Also, hokej.cz (the website of the Czech Hockey Federation) cites "Sport" daily as the source for one of Jagr's best offers. (I was not able to find it on "Sport" website, but since "Sport" main writer Pavel Barta used to be hokej.cz main editor, it's possible Barta just told them info that will be in the main Sport interview on Monday).

So, St. Louis apparently offered..... $5 mil.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Tico Rick wrote: Jagr makes an interesting point about team travel times, something someone in Jagr's situation (older, accustomed to a shorter season) should consider.
Interestingly, I believe other than Khabarovsk, Avangard Omsk has the one of the worst travelling in the KHL. And Khabarovsk is even in their division!

littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

In the end it really is about ego. He wants to be wanted, courted, and have his ego stroked. It demonstrates insecurity on his part. And of course he'd like that Richards and Carter were shipped out...more room for him to be a star.

And he never did literally promise to play for Mario for league minimum. He stated that if Mario called him up and asked him to play for him, he'd consider it. He wanted Mario to call him up and beg him to come back. I don't think Mario flat out begged him to come here when they talked, because that is just not what Mario does. Jagr wanted the Pens to offer more money and go out of their way to try to lure him in.

Remember what he said about Edmonton:

"I was pretty excited when I heard that Edmonton pushed pretty hard for me to get (there)," Jagr said Thursday at the IIHF World Hockey Championship. "I really appreciate it.

"If I ever go to (the NHL), they would be my No. 1 pick because they showed the interest first. I never forget that and I respect that. They would be my first pick."

Perhaps adults shouldn't be forced to fulfill every sligtly hyperbolic tributary praise they say, but they shouldn't be chronic bullsh**ters, either.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

littlemoonboot wrote:
Perhaps adults shouldn't be forced to fulfill every sligtly hyperbolic tributary praise they say, but they shouldn't be chronic bullsh**ters, either.
I agree but there's also a difference between saying it in passing a while back and saying it WHILE you are being offered a contract. It's like when he said he'd play for Mario at league minimum. We all knew that was BS. But saying his heart was in Pittsburgh when you are offered a contract by them is a different situation.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by thepittman »

How I feel about this thread...

jamespensfan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jamespensfan »

tonysoprano wrote:
profpolisci wrote:DePaoli's take seems to me to be the correct one.
Also, for Jagr not to retire a Penguin and have his number retired would be a shame.
Can't believe this organization would be that small and preposterously petty.

*Tomas, thanks!
Small and petty? You can't let this guy continually spit in your face reward him for it. Sorry.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Consider me SMALL and PETTY.

I think we should all be wearing pink ribbons today, because we are cancer free!!
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

littlemoonboot wrote:In the end it really is about ego. He wants to be wanted, courted, and have his ego stroked. It demonstrates insecurity on his part. And of course he'd like that Richards and Carter were shipped out...more room for him to be a star.

And he never did literally promise to play for Mario for league minimum. He stated that if Mario called him up and asked him to play for him, he'd consider it. He wanted Mario to call him up and beg him to come back. I don't think Mario flat out begged him to come here when they talked, because that is just not what Mario does. Jagr wanted the Pens to offer more money and go out of their way to try to lure him in.

Remember what he said about Edmonton:

"I was pretty excited when I heard that Edmonton pushed pretty hard for me to get (there)," Jagr said Thursday at the IIHF World Hockey Championship. "I really appreciate it.

"If I ever go to (the NHL), they would be my No. 1 pick because they showed the interest first. I never forget that and I respect that. They would be my first pick."

I think ego had a lot to do with it. After looking things over and talking to Shero and Bylsma, I think Jaromir fully realized that the Pens' stars now are Crosby and Malkin, and that he would just be playing a complimentary role on their team. He'll be counted on to do more in Philly. The Pens didn't offer him more money because they were unsure how well he would fit in with the current team. And after thinking things over, Jagr was unsure as well. So in the end everything worked out for the best for both sides. It would have been nice if we could have had the fairy tale ending that fans were dreaming about, but life just doesn't work out that way a lot of the time.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

Kudos to Jags for giving that interview and letting us all know that he's got no hard feelings about how he was treated during this whole process. He's such a stand up guy. :pop:
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

HomerPenguin wrote:Kudos to Jags for giving that interview and letting us all know that he's got no hard feelings about how he was treated during this whole process. He's such a stand up guy. :pop:
:fist:
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Why Not Us »

I'm sure this could change but the Flyers just don't come off as the Flyers to me right now.

Most of their line-up doesn't play "Flyer hockey" that I've seen my entire life. Jagr is detestable but he isn't going to bite Letang's hand. Talbot is sure to annoy us but I doubt CEC is ever going to get Ssssshhhh'd.

With Carter, Carcillo, and Richards gone from the rivalry it's like I need to rediscover that bloodlust for the Flyers.

That or could just we're only in July.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

I wish only bad things on this prima donna headcase. If they ever retire his jersey, I will climb into the rafters and set fire to it.

I always felt he was a "nice to have", but the more he talks the more I realize just what an idiot he still is. He wants to be surrounded by sycophants, which is why he excels for the Czech National team. He is their hero.

I hope he fails miserably with the physical nature of the NHL these days. If he does, good luck to Briere and Giroux trying to carry their offense.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by RxBandit66 »

After reading that, I do kind of agree with Jagr that Pittsburgh would not have been a great fit for him. The majority of his points would have come on the power play, and you're not going to move Sid or Geno, so I get that. I also would bet 100% that Bylsma did not want Jagr.

But the bottom line is, Jagr should have said that FROM THE BEGINNING. He should not have said all of that stuff about his heart being in Pittsburgh, and wanting to come back. He should have said what he said in the interview, from the very beginning of the process, and the Pens would not even have made him an offer. Then, after he retired, he could have come back for a ceremony and all that other stuff.

But I have a hard time believing that between Jagr, Sid, and Geno, they couldnt have figured out how to make the power play work for all three of them. Jagr won a scoring title with Kip Miller and Jan Hrdina on his line for cripes sake. Now granted that was a dozen or so years ago, but Jags would have been fine as a Penguin. And his endorsement deals and jerseys. etc that he could have sold by returning to the Pens would have greatly exceeded the supposed 5 million that St. Louis offered.

He is an idiot for going to Philly. The best chance for him to win a Cup was here, and he would have had zero pressure on him.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

RxBandit66 wrote: Jagr won a scoring title with Kip Miller and Jan Hrdina on his line for cripes sake.
This is the key. At his age, instead of wanting to be the veteran presence he still wants to be the show. Good luck to Philly getting his ego in line with his talents at 39.

When this all started, it sounded like he wanted a Cup and to do what he could to help. Reading his comments on Philly, he sounds like he still thinks he can be an NHL team.
Kerry Fraser
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Kerry Fraser »

I really wish Jagr would have just retired or stayed in the KHL. If either of those things would have happened, his number would have eventually been retired here and I think his legacy would have made a full recovery. Now, when anyone ever brings up his name, they'll think of his **** instead of his great career here. That's the really sad part, not him having a 50 or 60 point season with another team next year.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

I can't remember a team pulling an offer 10 minutes prior to the start of free agency - and two of the best GMs in the league did just that with Jagr.

Philly is a mess - I'm really not sure what is going on over there now.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Steve wrote:I can't remember a team pulling an offer 10 minutes prior to the start of free agency - and two of the best GMs in the league did just that with Jagr.

I don't know. This fits in with what appears to be their plan to rebuild. Jagr is a 1 year signing so it allows them to build in coming years while still putting out a team with a shot if everything comes together this year.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

bhaw wrote:
Steve wrote:I can't remember a team pulling an offer 10 minutes prior to the start of free agency - and two of the best GMs in the league did just that with Jagr.

I don't know. This fits in with what appears to be their plan to rebuild. Jagr is a 1 year signing so it allows them to build in coming years while still putting out a team with a shot if everything comes together this year.
I'll bet Philly is going to be unloading talent come the trading deadline this year. I know it sounds strange, but the line they've pit together seems like it's held together with spit and chewing gum
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

Tico Rick wrote:So in the end everything worked out for the best for both sides. It would have been nice if we could have had the fairy tale ending that fans were dreaming about, but life just doesn't work out that way a lot of the time.
:thumb: Agreed.

What happened this week apparently showed that the bridge that was being rebuilt between Jaromir and Pittsburgh was made of match sticks. Him signing with the Pens and it being a poor fit and a disaster to be endured for an entire season would have been much worse than the 2 week debacle that just transpired.

From a team culture and hockey style standpoint, if he wasn't so insistent on being his own star, Detroit probably would have been the best place for him. Like it was said, Detroit would have been the best fit, Pittsburgh would have been the best story. And now he has neither.

It will be interesting to see how he fares in Philly. He doesn't really seem to fit into their team culture and their fans enthusiasm is muted given they have been conditioned to hate him for years. How would he handle a longer season, Pronger's bluntness, or getting bad mouthed, booed and crap thrown on him when they hit a losing streak? It will be interesting.