Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Jagr to PHI

Post by Lesky »

adambpsu wrote:
Lesky wrote:
adambpsu wrote:
Lesky wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Based on what he said, I think Shero was put off by their negotiating tactics but yeah he has no reason to care. He made his offer, they weren't cooperating, he moved on. Business.
LOL. How could Shero be put off by their negotiating tactics when they were never negotiating with him? Never asking him for more money.

I could understand if he was put off by their LACK OF NEGOTIATING though - as he must have thought Svoboda acted very irrational and perhaps was insane.

Its the first time in my life I hear someone that is supposed to be looking for more money yet not asking for it :?: :)

At the same time I believe Jagr did not like Shero very much and I think Shero was genuinly happy that Jagr did not sign.
Well, I think waiting until the 11th hour to start the nonsense of "we have a lot of options now" and "multiple teams are now involved in discussions" is fairly off-putting in terms of negotiating given the circumstances.
Thats still not negotiating. Negotiating is tweaking the numbers for a better contract. Changing offers back and forth to try to reach a deal. To me Svoboda and Jagrs actions are not logical at all. So I really have no idea what went through their minds.
I think that "negotiating" (if you can call it that) came from Svoboda's tactics of disseminating that other teams were involved in potential move to get a higher offer out of Shero and/or drive up the price offered by others. There are too many variables to what happened behind closed doors to really now how this was handled between Camp Jagr and Pittsburgh et al.
If Svoboda had been interested in more money from Shere he would have said "Look, Detroit have offered X amount, and you need to match that or at least up your offer with X". There is no way Svoboda just was talking **** and hoping Shero suddenly would up his offer. IF that was the case Svoboda surely would have requested more money directly WHEN/IF he noted Shero was not going to do anything by himself.

The alternative is that Svoboda thought Jagr was such an amazing player that he found it insulting to say he/Jagr thought he was worth more cash.
Last edited by Lesky on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensOnDVD »

Lesky wrote:
adambpsu wrote:
PensOnDVD wrote:What Shero SAYS, and what happened, may be two different things.

It's called taking the high road.
That's a good point. I don't think there is any question about who was the classier party in this saga.
What? So you are saying if Shero is lying about what actually happened, that would be proof of him being even classier?

I thought Shero handled the situation OK if he described true events of what happened. Whatever Shero was lying or hiding could not make him look better in any way.

So if he indeed covered something up it was to make himself look better.
If he covered something up? It would be to make Jagr look better and not just spill the beans about what Svoboda did in this whole process.

Now, what will be real interesting, is what MARIO is going to say about the talks he had with Jagr.

Shero may take the high road.

I would be very shocked if he speaks about the situation, if Lemieux did as well.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by dman66 »

The boo's are gonna rain down on December 29th......

That Jagr Flyer's jersey does make me want to puke though. Regardless, the Pens did the right thing.
adambpsu
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by adambpsu »

Lesky wrote:
adambpsu wrote:
PensOnDVD wrote:What Shero SAYS, and what happened, may be two different things.

That's a good point. I don't think there is any question about who was the classier party in this saga.
What? So you are saying if Shero is lying about what actually happened, that would be proof of him being even classier?

I thought Shero handled the situation OK if he described true events of what happened. Whatever Shero was lying or hiding could not make him look better in any way.

I'm by no means suggesting that anything was covered up or that Shero lied. All I am saying is that I think at this point, if you are the Pens, you take the high road, move on, and cut your loses. There is a difference between providing all the details and the relevant details. Jagr had an offer. He manipulated it. He got a deadline to finally accept the offer. He missed/abused it. Shero pulled the offer. The short and sweet of it is that those are the relevant details of what happened. Whether more was said behind closed doors between Shero and Svoboda is all speculation at this point.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

PensOnDVD wrote:
Lesky wrote:
adambpsu wrote:

If he covered something up? It would be to make Jagr look better and not just spill the beans about what Svoboda did in this whole process.

Now, what will be real interesting, is what MARIO is going to say about the talks he had with Jagr.

I would be very shocked if he speaks about the situation, if Lemieux did as well.
The problems is that some Penguins fans are upset Shero did not offer Jagr a better contract. That Shero wouldn´t negotiate at all. By saying Jagr did not ask for more money means that Shero had absolutely no reason to make a better offer.

If Shero had said Svobodas camp was threatening Jagr would sign elsewhere if he did not up his offer 0.5 million - then people could be mad at Shero for not saving Jagrs legacy for such a small amount.

I am not saying this is what happened, but I think by saying Jagr was greedy Shero opens up a can of worms regarding his own role.

---
More likely: Shero spoke nothing but the truth at the presser - which means Svoboda and Jagrs actions are just impossible to make any sense of unless Jagr absolutely did not want to play in Pittsburgh regardless of much money he got. I can not see any why this would be the case, only Jagr can answer that question.
Last edited by Lesky on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Do people really think Dec 29 is going to be any different from any other Jagr or Flyers game? There is booing all game every game anyway. I'm just glad we have consolidated the two so that the arena fanbase can be at its most annoying half as often as they would have otherwise.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

adambpsu wrote:
Lesky wrote:
adambpsu wrote:

I'm by no means suggesting that anything was covered up or that Shero lied. All I am saying is that I think at this point, if you are the Pens, you take the high road, move on, and cut your loses. There is a difference between providing all the details and the relevant details. Jagr had an offer. He manipulated it. He got a deadline to finally accept the offer. He missed/abused it. Shero pulled the offer. The short and sweet of it is that those are the relevant details of what happened. Whether more was said behind closed doors between Shero and Svoboda is all speculation at this point.
Agreed 100%. I was not the one bringing up possible "cover-ups or lies". I was discussing what happened based on the information from Sheros press conference :)
IncredibleMulk71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by IncredibleMulk71 »

Enough is enough.

Jagr isn't coming back.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

I would love to see a 60 minute press conference of Pittsburgh journalists grilling Jagr of his actions and reasoning from the World Championship press conference where he mentioned the Penguins until today. Its like "John Malkovich". That kind of bizarre story! After everthing thats happened it would not suprise me if Jagr never played a game for the Flyers or end up killed by the russian mafia or something.
Last edited by Lesky on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
adambpsu
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by adambpsu »

IncredibleMulk71 wrote:Enough is enough.

Jagr isn't coming back.
Source?
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensOnDVD »

Shero can't rat out Svoboda in public in case he has to deal with him again down the line.

Again, high road.

Jagr played us all for fools.

Accept that, and move on.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Post by Bob McKenzie »

adambpsu wrote:
IncredibleMulk71 wrote:Enough is enough.

Jagr isn't coming back.
Source?
Lemieux5
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensOnDVD »

Idoit40fans wrote:Do people really think Dec 29 is going to be any different from any other Jagr or Flyers game?
Yes.

I would expect Jagr jerseys to be tossed on the ice. Maybe a few FU Jagr chants, and remember, Talbot went there too.

If Jagr scores a goal fans should throw money on the ice at him.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Am I the only one that really doesn't care that much? I thought this was going to be the result anyways. Minus going to the Flyers.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

PensOnDVD wrote:Shero can't rat out Svoboda in public in case he has to deal with him again down the line.

Again, high road.

Jagr played us all for fools.

Accept that, and move on.
There we go again assuming Shero was not truthful at the press conference :thumbdown:
Last edited by Lesky on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

PensOnDVD wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Do people really think Dec 29 is going to be any different from any other Jagr or Flyers game?
Yes.

I would expect Jagr jerseys to be tossed on the ice. Maybe a few FU Jagr chants, and remember, Talbot went there too.

There won't be Jagr jerseys tossed, there are already FU jagr chants, and no one is going to throw money at him.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Lesky wrote:The alternative is that Svoboda thought Jagr was such an amazing player that he found it insulting to say he/Jagr thought he was worth more cash.
Personally, I think the Jagr camp did not try to up the $2 million offer because they found it insulting. In Jagr's mind he is worth much more, so it wouldn't have made any sense to negotiate from such a low starting point. What for? To get it up to $2.5 mil, when he thinks he's worth $4 mil or more? He's probably sitting around now, bitter that he only got a $3.3 mil contract. Someone needs to tell him that he's 39 years old and hasn't played in the NHL in three years.
adambpsu
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by adambpsu »

Idoit40fans wrote:
PensOnDVD wrote:
Yes.

There won't be Jagr jerseys tossed, there are already FU jagr chants, and no one is going to throw money at him.
There is no way I'm spending money on a new Jagr jersey just to throw it on the ice.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

The best part about Jagr to PHI is that it saved me $200 on a new Jagr jersey I was gonna buy if he signed with us.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

I want to puke. Just might too, as I
,km very drunk.More alter.
Kerry Fraser
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Kerry Fraser »

Lesky wrote:
PensOnDVD wrote:
Lesky wrote:
adambpsu wrote:

The problems is that some Penguins fans are upset Shero did not offer Jagr a better contract. That Shero wouldn´t negotiate at all. By saying Jagr did not ask for more money means that Shero had absolutely no reason to make a better offer.

If Shero had said Svobodas camp was threatening Jagr would sign elsewhere if he did not up his offer 0.5 million - then people could be mad at Shero for not saving Jagrs legacy for such a small amount.

I am not saying this is what happened, but I think by saying Jagr was greedy Shero opens up a can of worms regarding his own role.

---
More likely: Shero spoke nothing but the truth at the presser - which means Svoboda and Jagrs actions are just impossible to make any sense of unless Jagr absolutely did not want to play in Pittsburgh regardless of much money he got. I can not see any why this would be the case, only Jagr can answer that question.
Why did Shero need to negotiate? He was bargaining from a position of strength, the Pens didn't need to sign Jagr, he was just a luxury.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

André wrote:I want to puke. Just might too, as I
,km very drunk.More alter.