Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
MyMonkey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Jagr to PHI

Post by MyMonkey »

littlemoonboot wrote:That little place I have always had in my heart reserved for Jagr is now vacant. More space for Pat Lafontaine, I guess. I just can't have the same love and respect when someone goes on about how much Mario means to him and how his heart is in Pittsburgh but goes on to sign with their biggest rival. For a couple more million dollars on top of the vast amounts you've already made over your hockey career.

I do not hate the man, he still gives me happy memories that make me smile, but I no longer have the same love for him that I used to and no longer care whether or not his number is up in the rafters.

It makes me love and appreciate the guys that want to play here and stick around here so much more, though.
+2 :thumb:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

GJ wrote:Don't you think that JJ could have gotten a bundle in endorsements around Pittsburgh close to 1.3 million?
Good point. I'm sure someone would be interested in making a lucrative commercial/ad with him.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by neophool »

lets be honest though, how much of this is his agent being a jerk too?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Someone should have Sean Avery interview the president of he Flyers Fan club. Avery could use his famous "Sloppy Seconds" question.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Malkamaniac wrote:If it wasn't about the money, and he cared what Mario though, he wouldn't have went to Philly. Everyone KNOWS it was about the money.
I do think he wanted to go to a decent team, but when you lined up all the decent teams, Pens, Montreal, Detroit, Philly, then it was all about the money.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

Sarcastic wrote:
GJ wrote:Don't you think that JJ could have gotten a bundle in endorsements around Pittsburgh close to 1.3 million?
Good point. I'm sure someone would be interested in making a lucrative commercial/ad with him.
Someone has to take Talbot's job of the commercials he does.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

newarenanow wrote:The dude is 15th in wins all time.

Look, no one is going to mistake him for a Patrick Roy, or Broduer or someone, but he was a key piece to the Pens during the 90s, and especially during their cup runs.

To take away his accomplishments because of who played in front of him, or pointing to who was the coach at the time (which doesn't change the way he played) is ridiculous.
It doesn't change the way you play, but it can change the way your team plays, which certainly affects you as a goalie.

Barrasso = Kevin Stevens goalie version
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

newarenanow wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:If it wasn't about the money, and he cared what Mario though, he wouldn't have went to Philly. Everyone KNOWS it was about the money.
I do think he wanted to go to a decent team, but when you lined up all the decent teams, Pens, Montreal, Detroit, Philly, then it was all about the money.
Exactly, and I can bet you anything that the "team that offered 6 million" wasn't one of these teams.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Flyers didn't do themselves an favors in FA.

Washington on the other hand looks much better, at least on paper.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Physical_Graffiti wrote:It doesn't change the way you play, but it can change the way your team plays, which certainly affects you as a goalie.

Barrasso = Kevin Stevens goalie version
That's fine. I watch the guy play. I have seen what he can do. Again, he isn't the best goalie in the land. Heck, he isn't even in the top 10. But he was a heck of a goalie and a key contributer to the Pens of the late 80s and 90s. He will most likely be a hall of famer, and while there was a ton of talent on that team, he was a piece of that.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Malkamaniac wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Exactly, and I can bet you anything that the "team that offered 6 million" wasn't one of these teams.
Agree, that team had to be a Florida, Colorado, or someone.
Kerry Fraser
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Kerry Fraser »

[youtube][/youtube]
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by champeen »

Does anyone else think that the Kovalev experiment sort of cooled the Pens front office to the 'nostalgia' of bringing in an aging former star? Granted Kovy is nowhere near Jagr in Penguins lore, but the excitment of his return lasted like 2 games. With that fresh in their minds, they were able to approach the Jagr thing even more objectively than normal. They knew the mania would wear off and they didn't want to be stuck with a 3.3 mil. dollar wing who, if he doesn't produce, literally doesn't have the skill set to play a checking role or the mindset to take a reduced role...
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

I think GM Ray Shero was pulled into this jaromir watch drama.

Moving on~
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

shafnutz05 wrote:Flyers boards are fat and happy that they (so they say) F'ed over Pittsburgh.
I can't wait for his new "fans" to unleash their full "fandom" on him. Any little mistake he makes and they will rip him to shreds. He thought Pittsburgh fans were hard on him?!?! pffffttttt............

Philly fans hated him already, now he will be their number one whipping boy when anything goes wrong. He'd also better learn how to duck and cover from things flying over the glass at him, especially when he's coming off the ice.

The thing is, he knows full well what their fans are like. He must be a masochist.

Coulda come home, repaired previous damage, cemented his legacy, played with Crosby and Malkin, be on a Cup contender, and be worshipped and adored by the fans.

Even with the Pens out of the mix, I never thought he would even want to go to Philly. His new fans are gonna have him crying in his peanut butter.

Give him all you've got Flyers fans!
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

champeen wrote:Does anyone else think that the Kovalev experiment sort of cooled the Pens front office to the 'nostalgia' of bringing in an aging former star? Granted Kovy is nowhere near Jagr in Penguins lore, but the excitment of his return lasted like 2 games. With that fresh in their minds, they were able to approach the Jagr thing even more objectively than normal. They knew the mania would wear off and they didn't want to be stuck with a 3.3 mil. dollar wing who, if he doesn't produce, literally doesn't have the skill set to play a checking role or the mindset to take a reduced role...
Why do people take it would have taken exact 3.3 million to land Jagr? Maybe it would have been enough if Shero had upped his offer to 2.5 million, that would signaled he wanted Jagr. Instead he took away the offer which he had said he would not do the day before. Probably Jagr felt that then he was not wanted either.

Jagr is a complete turd for how he has handled the case, but if the Pens had cared for his legacy as well, they would have made a better offer. Probably Jagr would have been
a good signing even at 2.5 or 3 million.

Shero gave Guerin 2 million and Jagr is twice the player Guerin was. So while I agree Jagr made a terrible decision, I still feel he was lowballed in a way the Penguins should not have risked if they cared for the Jagr coming back story.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

dagny wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Flyers boards are fat and happy that they (so they say) F'ed over Pittsburgh.
I can't wait for his new "fans" to unleash their full "fandom" on him. Any little mistake he makes and they will rip him to shreds. He thought Pittsburgh fans were hard on him?!?! pffffttttt............

Philly fans hated him already, now he will be their number one whipping boy when anything goes wrong. He'd also better learn how to duck and cover from things flying over the glass at him, especially when he's coming off the ice.

The thing is, he knows full well what their fans are like. He must be a masochist.

Coulda come home, repaired previous damage, cemented his legacy, played with Crosby and Malkin, be on a Cup contender, and be worshipped and adored by the fans.

Even with the Pens out of the mix, I never thought he would even want to go to Philly. His new fans are gonna have him crying in his peanut butter.

I think that's over exaggerating.
Kerry Fraser
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Kerry Fraser »

Lesky wrote:
champeen wrote:Does anyone else think that the Kovalev experiment sort of cooled the Pens front office to the 'nostalgia' of bringing in an aging former star? Granted Kovy is nowhere near Jagr in Penguins lore, but the excitment of his return lasted like 2 games. With that fresh in their minds, they were able to approach the Jagr thing even more objectively than normal. They knew the mania would wear off and they didn't want to be stuck with a 3.3 mil. dollar wing who, if he doesn't produce, literally doesn't have the skill set to play a checking role or the mindset to take a reduced role...
Why do people take it would have taken exact 3.3 million to land Jagr? Maybe it would have been enough if Shero had upped his offer to 2.5 million, that would signaled he wanted Jagr. Instead he took away the offer which he had said he would not do the day before. Probably Jagr felt that then he was not wanted either.

Jagr is a complete turd for how he has handled the case, but if the Pens had cared for his legacy as well, they would have made a better offer. Probably Jagr would have been

Shero gave Guerin 2 million and Jagr is twice the player Guerin was. So while I agree Jagr made a terrible decision, I still feel he was lowballed in a way the Penguins should not have risked if they cared for the Jagr coming back story.
Honestly dude, how can you have an ounce of respect or defend him in anyway?
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Bathgate wrote:Jagr's agent just said on The Fan that he had a one-year offer greater than 6 million with one of the teams (which he would not name), so he did not pick the Flyers just for the money.

Is he trying to get Jagr killed the next time he spotted in Pittsburgh? :lol:
HooperX

Post by HooperX »

I tend not to agree with the Kovalev comparison, as Shero did make an offer to Jagr. Had they been completely turned off by the prospect or felt it was too great of a risk, they would've told him no thank you, and passed.

The reality is, Shero had a limited amount of cap space available, and to his credit wasn't willing to blow up his team nor deviate much from his off season plans to accomodate Jagr. I'm sure that this was explained to Jagr up front, and from my point of you, Jagr's ego simply wouldn't allow him to play for that amount of money.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Malkamaniac wrote:
dagny wrote:

I think that's over exaggerating.

You haven't spent as much time on flyersphans as I have.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I do believe in doing any harm to myself.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Malkamaniac wrote:I do believe in doing any harm to myself.
Regardless, that makes me the expert. :P
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Kerry Fraser wrote:
Lesky wrote:

Honestly dude, how can you have an ounce of respect or defend him in anyway?
I am not defending Jagrs actions, I just feel 1 million dollar from either side is just such a waste.

Jagrs an idiot, but we should have offered him pretty much market value, chances are good he would be a great signing for that price.

So that we lowballed him because he had stated he wanted to return was not very smart in my opinion. I am sure in 20 years both Jagr and the Pens will look back
and think, "oh my". 1 million dollar for all the crap that followed.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Lesky wrote:
...Jagrs an idiot...

329 plus pages and it all comes down to these three little words...