Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by Draftnik »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Draftnik wrote:I got caught up in reminiscing about Jagr's great time here but the bottom line is he doesn't fit the Pens system or culture that Shero & Bylsma created.

The hypothetical line with Neal-Geno-Jagr was a joke. The Pens would be playing with a 2 man disadvantage in the defensive zone if that were an actual line.

I believe there is value in statistical analysis more than most on this board, but hockey production isn't a linear equation. Just because Jagr could theoretically still have offensive potential, it doesn't mean he would be able to fit into the Pens system.

It would have been fun to see him come back and I'm sure he would have provided some great moments. On the whole though I'm not convinced it would have been a net gain in the end.
I agree with you that Jagr would not have fit 5v5, but that is not why I really wanted Jagr. I wanted him for the PP. I think he would have made the PP significantly better, and if the PP was significantly better that would help the team out far more than his 5v5 play.
The only way Jagr-Sid-Geno would fit on the PP would be with Geno at the point since the Pens need a F in the slot. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but Geno is less than stellar with his defense on the point and Letang (the only Dman in that scenario) is also prone to contributing to SHG. There was downside to the PP scenario as well IMO.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

This conversation, as per PG, makes it crystal clear to me why Shero a) made an offer and b) then withdrew the offer. He handled it perfectly here.

Shero speaking:

"We made what we thought was a very fair contract offer to Jaromir on Tuesday, based on his stated interest of returning to the Penguins". We made our best offer from the start, given our salary cap structure, in an attempt to facilitate a deal.

But now, after several days, with an extended time frame for making a decision, and additional teams getting involved, we have decided to move in a different direction. It was never our intention to get involved in a free agent bidding war, and we have to focus on our team".

Not sure how anyone could be confused by any of this.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Detroit is also loaded with great players because they draft really well, something that RS needs to work on. :)
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

Get the guys from the Pens Blog to call Sobvoda again. Tell them to re-reach out to the Pens?
jeffshly
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by jeffshly »

relantel wrote:Surprised with PIT & DET out that the mystery third team hasn't closed the deal...
I'm not surprised at all. Now that Jagr and Svoboda have soiled the proverbial mattress with PIT and DET, they're going to look at all offers, including those from the KHL.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

Small chance of course but does this have to be over? Jagr might go wtf let's call em again and play for 1-2 mil. Awkward situation for sure, but such an humble act from Jagr's part would show how he really wants it.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

lolololololol
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Malkamaniac wrote:Jagr is going to end up in Philly for 1.5 million for 1 year.
If he signs with Philly, I want any picture of Jagr in the arena to be taken down.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

AlexPKeaton wrote:Detroit is also loaded with great players
As are the Pens! :D
jeffshly
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by jeffshly »

André wrote:Small chance of course but does this have to be over? Jagr might go wtf let's call em again and play for 1-2 mil. Awkward situation for sure, but such an humble act from Jagr's part would show how he really wants it.
If he really wanted it, he'd have agreed to terms before noon today.
Myriad
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Myriad »

I just want him to sign so we can begin the hate hahahaha
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Lesky, according to Rob Rossi and other reports:
Shero called Svoboda one last time, they discussed the offer, Svoboda told Shero he was waiting on "many other teams"
Shero told Svoboda he couldn't wait, Svoboda stalled again, Shero said he was about to pull the offer, Svoboda stalled more, Shero pulled the offer.

Shero did give him that last 15 minutes
I will post this one more time so everybody can see I am backing down and realizing I was wrong.

If this is true - then I retract all my criticism against Shero. I was wrong about what happened. And Shero was right to do what he did!

I am sorry I created drama before knowing what exactly happened.
Sorry for reacting badly.

Summary: I am disgusted with Svoboda and Jagr at the moment. Nothing else to report. What a horrible day this is!
Last edited by Lesky on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 19 times in total.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Sarcastic wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Jagr is going to end up in Philly for 1.5 million for 1 year.
If he signs with Philly, I want any picture of Jagr in the arena to be taken down.
He'll be a Hab. Giving me yet another reason to hate that team.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

Jagr going to Philly would be an epic end to this nonsense and would cement himself as an enemy to Pens fans.

I think he'll go to Montreal, which is probably where he really wanted to go all along.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

God damnit, I'm taking a half day but I don't want to listen to Ron Cook. I should just stay at work so I can keep up on FA.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Lesky wrote:
Desiato wrote:
Lesky wrote:
KG wrote:Lesky....pens aren't going to beg Jagr to come back...They made a fair offer (they feel) on Tuesday. Then Jagr starting getting other teams involved...
I have never asked them to beg from crying out loud, just say: ACCEPT OUR OFFER IN 15 MINUTES or the offer is gone! Not much too ask from Ray if he had any real interest in Jagr other than saving his own image.
Hello? Shero already extended his deadline by a day and a half. That was very big of him. And you're b**ching about another 15 minutes?
1. There was never a deadline. Shero said yesterday he never put a deadline on anything.

2. Shero said :
Shero said Thursday the offer to Jagr would remain even if Jagr does not inform them by noon of a decision,
---
And then Shero pulls the offer without giving Jagr a call and saying, take our offer in 15 minutes or its GONE.

Shows he wanted nothing more than to remove the offer without Jagr knowing it was going to be removed.
We have no idea if Shero called and gave a final warning or not.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I hope he gets all the money he's attaining. It's his choice, he just better liken the idea to play with a team that won't get anywhere in the play-offs.
IncredibleMulk71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by IncredibleMulk71 »

I want him to sign with Vancouver so Matt Cooke can end his comeback and career 2 minutes into the first game of the season. Jagr will be gone, Cooke suspended for a hit to the head, and everything will be back to normal once again in Pittsburgh.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

At least everyone who hated Jagr before can bask in their vindication.
Myriad
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Myriad »

DocEmrick wrote:Image
ugh please stop
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Yeah lots of vindication for the haters.
66 Fighters of Foo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 66 Fighters of Foo »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Jagr could still save his legacy by firing Svoboda and calling Mario or Shero directly and agreeing to a deal. I don't think it'll happen though.
That's true. Until the Pens do something else with the $2 million they set aside for him, it could still happen. I'm going to reserve judgment about Jagr's role in this until everything shakes out. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I'm thinking maybe his agent pooped the bed by trying to up the money a bit more from Pittsburgh. If so, Jagr will reach out to the Pens on his own. If not, well then I'll reevaluate my opinion.

Like you, I'm not expecting it. Would be nice to be proven wrong, though.
astro4k
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by astro4k »

DocEmrick wrote:Image
gotta admit, that made me throw up in my mouth a little
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

I don't think Jagr will go to Philly. The media & fans there would be merciless if he isn't producing. I think he will end up in a low key market that has lots of Cap space and also is a secondary contender for the Cup. I'm not sure who that team is, but I think those will be the characteristics of the team that signs him.