Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by pugilist13 »

pens2005 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:This thread has become an emotional trainwreck.
it's pretty clear Jagr deserves blame. when you have two classy organizations publicly announcing a withdrawal of a contract offer (which is very rare), it tells you something about the other party involved.

To continue to defend Jagr at this point is absurd beyond belief.
Very well said. I agree 100%.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

DET also told Jagr & Svoboda to go F themselves. Good teams don't bend their knee and grovel to anybody. Shero learned that lesson the hard way with Hossa. Only hockey graveyards like Columbus beg players and kiss their arses.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Lesky wrote: I am just as disgusted by how Shero ended things (Until I know all the details of what happened)

He clearly said why! He said going in they knew they couldn't get into a bidding war and that's what it turned into. So he said peace! I'm not sure why you need to know any more than that, to be honest.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by FallenHero96 »

I am thinking, JUST MAYBE, If Shero had no intention of signing Jagr, maybe he doesn't offer Jagr a contract??? I mean, i'm just throwing this one out there......
Last edited by FallenHero96 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I40 wrote:I don't have a problem with Shero in general, but I don't understand why he handled this the way he did unless he had 0 intention of every signing Jagr, which is something I could understand.
Well he was the one that needed convincing. Something just tells me that he's not a fan of these reclamation projects. Although he's in the situation because of the cap, it's just weird.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Draftnik wrote:I got caught up in reminiscing about Jagr's great time here but the bottom line is he doesn't fit the Pens system or culture that Shero & Bylsma created.

The hypothetical line with Neal-Geno-Jagr was a joke. The Pens would be playing with a 2 man disadvantage in the defensive zone if that were an actual line.

I believe there is value in statistical analysis more than most on this board, but hockey production isn't a linear equation. Just because Jagr could theoretically still have offensive potential, it doesn't mean he would be able to fit into the Pens system.

It would have been fun to see him come back and I'm sure he would have provided some great moments. On the whole though I'm not convinced it would have been a net gain in the end.
I agree with you that Jagr would not have fit 5v5, but that is not why I really wanted Jagr. I wanted him for the PP. I think he would have made the PP significantly better, and if the PP was significantly better that would help the team out far more than his 5v5 play.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Surprised with PIT & DET out that the mystery third team hasn't closed the deal...
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

pittsports87 wrote:
champeen wrote:Question for the capgeeks on the board- Is Shero legally required to withdraw the offer to Jagr before extending another one to someone else for an amount that, combined with 68's 2mil., would put them over the cap? Or can he have offers out to 6 players at once and then just take whoever bites first?
They can offer whatever they want to whoever they want, and just pull the other offers when they sign one of them.
They can be over the cap by 10% up until the season starts.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

As much as I was excited for Jagr to come back, I am 100% behind the Pens on this one. Jagr pulled a Hossa on us all and Shero nipped it in the bud BEFORE it caused the Pens to lose time for other solutions. I actually just lost a little more respect for Jagr this time.
Last edited by Pitts on Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Stevo »

does anyone else think that Jagr could come crawling back to the pens?
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

We'll sign him for league min.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Boogeyman »

Lesky wrote:
jeffshly wrote:
Lesky wrote:
KG wrote:Lesky....pens aren't going to beg Jagr to come back...They made a fair offer (they feel) on Tuesday. Then Jagr starting getting other teams involved...
I have never asked them to beg from crying out loud, just say: ACCEPT OUR OFFER IN 15 MINUTES or the offer is gone! Not much too ask from Ray if he had any real interest in Jagr other than saving his own image.
And how do you know that they didn't do this? How can you blame Lemieux for not being very ticked off over the way Jagr and Svoboda have handled this?
I am disgusted by the way Jagr and his agent handled things and I am just as disgusted by how Shero ended things (Until I know all the details of what happened)

Here's the details:

- Shero had gameplan going into free agency

- Jagr got all emo about Pittsburgh

- Mario got all emo about Jagr

- Ray's like: What the f*ck

- Ray offers Jagr deal

- Jagr gets all emo about emo

- Ray's like: Eat me. I have a multi-million dollar business to adhere to. Beat it.

- People melt down

- Ray's like: Grow a pair.
Last edited by Boogeyman on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Daniel87 »

pugilist13 wrote:Time to kill this thread. DIE,DIE,DIE!!!!
It could live on forever. After another decade of recovering from Jagrwatch, we'll be discussing the retiring of his number.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

relantel wrote:Surprised with PIT & DET out that the mystery third team hasn't closed the deal...

there probably was no third team that was truly interested
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

Shero only signs players on his terms. The Pens are good so he can afford to dictate terms and deal on a take it or leave it basis. The Dupuis & Kennedy deals show Shero can force guys to take lowball offers if the players really want to be here.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

Detroit signing Eaves and Miller, Pittsburgh signing Kenendy - it is clear that Jagr's first two choices are focusing on their own houses. Jagr and his agent may have misread the situation drastically, but it seemed clear that neither team was waiting around for him for "days" after Free Agency started.

Shero pulling the offer is perfect negotiating if your stance is that Jagr is a "nice to have" - which he is. He is not without drama, and the idea that he was going to come in and be a "third wheel" to Crosby and Malkin was never reasonable.

All in all, I LOVE the way Shero handled this. I am fine with Jagr coming back humbled, although I sincerely doubt that will happen. In terms of how this played out, it tells me that Jagr has learned very little since he left. He is still suspect in terms of character unless he is drapped in the flag of his country in International competition. Then, and only then, does it appear he can sacrifice himself for a true team cause.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Lesky wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Lesky, you are blinded by your love for Jagr...

What is not correct with my statement?

Pittsburgh withdraw their offer before Jagr had decided what to do. FACT!

Jagr is to blame for the delay - but now we will never know what Jagr would have decided had the Penguins offer still been on the table!

I am only saying it would made a lot more sense to give Jagr an ultimatum than just withdraw the offer. Had Shero really
wanted Jagr he would have given him the ultimatum.

Shero was more happy to eliminate every change of Jagr signing than making a 1 minute phone call and putting Jagr against the wall.

That does not excuse Jagr for delaying the process, but it shows both Jagr and the fans that Shero never ever wanted him on the team.
I'm sure Shero had enough conversation with Svoboda to figure out whether it is going to work or not. I'm also sure he told him that at noon, he is looking at other players.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by westside »

Boogeyman wrote:
Lesky wrote:
jeffshly wrote:
Lesky wrote:
KG wrote:Lesky....pens aren't going to beg Jagr to come back...They made a fair offer (they feel) on Tuesday. Then Jagr starting getting other teams involved...
I have never asked them to beg from crying out loud, just say: ACCEPT OUR OFFER IN 15 MINUTES or the offer is gone! Not much too ask from Ray if he had any real interest in Jagr other than saving his own image.
And how do you know that they didn't do this? How can you blame Lemieux for not being very ticked off over the way Jagr and Svoboda have handled this?
I am disgusted by the way Jagr and his agent handled things and I am just as disgusted by how Shero ended things (Until I know all the details of what happened)

Here's the details:

- Shero had gameplan going into free agency

- Jagr got all emo about Pittsburgh

- Mario got all emo about Jagr

- Ray's like: What the f*ck

- Ray offers Jagr deal

- Jagr gets all emo about emo

- Ray's like: Eat me. I have a multion million dollar business to adhere to. Beat it.

- People melt down

- Ray's like: Grow a pair.

That's pretty funny
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pugilist13 »

You dont sh@t on the foreheads of Shero or Holland. Two well respected GM's from classy organizations. Thats why the offers were pulled.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Jagr is going to end up in Philly for 1.5 million for 1 year.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

12:10 p.m. The Detroit Red Wings, according to several reports, are out of the bidding for Jaromir Jagr, as well. That is two teams that have dropped out in the past 60 minutes. Philadelphia and Montreal are believed to be the front-runners now for Jagr's services. According to Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune, the Penguins became disenchanted because Jagr's people brought in additional teams at the last minute.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=567893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Desiato wrote:
Lesky wrote:
Hello? Shero already extended his deadline by a day and a half. That was very big of him. And you're b**ching about another 15 minutes?
1. There was never a deadline. Shero said yesterday he never put a deadline on anything.

2. Shero said :
Shero said Thursday the offer to Jagr would remain even if Jagr does not inform them by noon of a decision,
---
And then Shero pulls the offer without giving Jagr a call and saying, take our offer in 15 minutes or its GONE.

Shows he wanted nothing more than to remove the offer without Jagr knowing it was going to be removed.
Last edited by Lesky on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pugilist13 »

Daniel87 wrote:
pugilist13 wrote:Time to kill this thread. DIE,DIE,DIE!!!!
It could live on forever. After another decade of recovering from Jagrwatch, we'll be discussing the retiring of his number.
I'll let you guys handle that.
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by opie22002 »

Given the latest news, this can only mean one thing:

#RichardsWatch :shock:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Draftnik wrote:Shero only signs players on his terms. The Pens are good so he can afford to dictate terms and deal on a take it or leave it basis. The Dupuis & Kennedy deals show Shero can force guys to take lowball offers if the players really want to be here.
That's the same model in Detroit. Players take less to play there and why they're always loaded with great players. It is about the team and winning.