Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by DropEmJayBird »

Jagr's choice of agent was a clear sign this was about the money. The way $voboda handled the situation makes that very clear. If that's the case, then Jagr used Mario and the Penguins to give his return to the NHL some credibility. Pretty crappy move - and I think stringing it along like this going into July 1 was a joke. Glad RS took away the offer.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

If Shero offered $2m and Jagr didn't take that, it's all on Jagr.

That statement from Shero about never having an intention to get in a BIDDING WAR is true and I support him. All that talk about Jagr wanting to play for Mario and Penguins again seems like BS now.
jeffshly
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by jeffshly »

Lesky wrote:I would have expected Shero to give Svoboda a call and said. You got 30 minutes to accept the contract or else we move on. That would have been more fair, and at least that would have given Jagr the chance to accept the offer in the end!
Who's to say that Shero didn't do exactly this?
drnort
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by drnort »

Lesky wrote:I would have expected Shero to give Svoboda a call and said. You got 30 minutes to accept the contract or else we move on. That would have been more fair, and at least that would have given Jagr the chance to accept the offer in the end! Now we will never know whether Jagr intended returning or not. Its possible he could take this as a sign that Shero never wanted him. AndI for one thinks Shero is a very happy man right now.

So for me this was the worst possible way for it all to end.

Shero is a pretty professional guy. I have to imagine something very similar to what you stated did actually happen.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

pensrule wrote:Assanine, just plain stupid. There is no one available and TK is a 3rd liner. This move by RS is just plain dumb. Leave the offer out there, work on your other stuff and if something comes along that you feel is better, tell Jagr too late...very disappointed in RS!
Any player who doesn't play head games is better than Jagr. We'll see how his 39 year old body holds up if he signs with an NHL team. I think people predicting 1ppg are on crack. One big hit could break him for a month.
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Dave's_a_Killer »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:why is everyone blaming Jagr? who knows what he would have decided. It was obvious from the beginning that Shero did not want him on the team. Even in quotes he seemed skeptical. He pulled his offer before the UFA period even started. To me, that explains a lot. Jagr never even had the chance to say "yes". I will have no hard feelings, since this was Shero taking charge and making a business decision.

Jagr had 3 days to make a decision.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

what in Hades happen? :(

I think Jaromir in short tournament the play-offs, good. 82 game season with practice...

GM Shero; you're up with plan B!
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

jeffshly wrote:
Lesky wrote:I would have expected Shero to give Svoboda a call and said. You got 30 minutes to accept the contract or else we move on. That would have been more fair, and at least that would have given Jagr the chance to accept the offer in the end!
Who's to say that Shero didn't do exactly this?
Lol; yeah I am under the impression that that is exactly what happened.
Kerry Fraser
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Kerry Fraser »

Jagr can go to hell.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Jagr had more than enough time make up his mind. RS made it very clearly that he doesn't intend to wait forever for an answer.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Kerry Fraser wrote:Jagr can go to hell.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Nobody knows anything about anything.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:RS made a huge mistake. Enjoy overpaying for some scrub or going into the season with Dupuis as your best RW.
So we should have gotten into a bidding war for a 39 year old winger who hasn't played in the NHL in 3 years? I think some people have their judgements clouded by what he was, rather than what he is.
Overpaying for 1 season is far better than the other options. Now RS will HAVE to give up draft pics at the deadline yet again for another marginal winger.
You're acting like Jagr was a can't miss. Nobody knows that.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

I usually try to avoid the "jump to conclusions" mat - but for the Pens to withdraw their offer 10 minutes before free agency starts - there's obviously more here to this story.

it seems that Jagr or his agent could have done something to piss off the Pens or #66.

Anyway, Shero isn't going to overpay for Jagr. Let someone else do that.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

So now we are gonna overpay for Kennedy and have the worst right wings in hockey!
jamespensfan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jamespensfan »

itissteeltime wrote:I like everything the Pens/Shero did regarding this situation.

Yep, I don't fault him one bit. Jagr was the same immature clown he used to be. And they decided to pull the plug.

I couldn't be happier.

Welcome Jaromir, you now have the role of Pittsburgh's Most Hated Ex-Player. And you worked your *ss off to get that title.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:why is everyone blaming Jagr? who knows what he would have decided. It was obvious from the beginning that Shero did not want him on the team. Even in quotes he seemed skeptical. He pulled his offer before the UFA period even started. To me, that explains a lot. Jagr never even had the chance to say "yes". I will have no hard feelings, since this was Shero taking charge and making a business decision.
Jagr had 3 days to say "yes".
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

Pens15 wrote:
Lesky wrote:I would have expected Shero to give Svoboda a call and said. You got 30 minutes to accept the contract or else we move on. That would have been more fair, and at least that would have given Jagr the chance to accept the offer in the end! Now we will never know whether Jagr intended returning or not. Its possible he could take this as a sign that Shero never wanted him.

So for me this was the worst possible way for it all to come down!
What makes you think he didn't?
Stop, dude, you're going to harsh his psychotic breakdown high.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Shero offered what he thought was best, if Jagr was going to accept it, he would have two days ago
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by FallenHero96 »

I wouldn't rule out RS playing some hardball here, forcing Jagr's hand, but it sure feels final.
drnort
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by drnort »

jeffshly wrote:
drnort wrote:It could certainly still happen. I do not believe that the door is officially closed...but that Shero wants things done on his terms, not someone elses.
Shero doesn't strike me as a guy who lets his ego run the team, so I don't think this is just a "my way or the highway" scenario. This isn't Vince McMahon and the WWE here.

Someone else is about to take the $2M offered to Jagr.

Shero cannot go into Free Agency with an offer like that just sitting on the table. It would tie his hands. The offer had to be pulled so that Shero has the option to close other deals.

Does not mean this offer can not be opened back up.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Why in the World was Lesky so invested in this process.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Sarcastic wrote:If Shero offered $2m and Jagr didn't take that, it's all on Jagr.

That statement from Shero about never having an intention to get in a BIDDING WAR is true and I support him. All that talk about Jagr wanting to play for Mario and Penguins again seems like BS now.
:thumb:
JTS66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by JTS66 »

Lesky.... DONT JUMP!!!

Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Dave's_a_Killer »

pittsports87 wrote:So now we are gonna overpay for Kennedy and have the worst right wings in hockey!
We may not even sign Kennedy!! :scared: