Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by Lesky »

Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Why Not Us »

Ordering a Jagr jersey if he signs today.

Don't mess this up, 68! :pop:
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Ben Klingston wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
beerman wrote:
newarenanow wrote:My gut feeling is, if we hear before 3pm today that there is a newsconference for the Pens, then we will all be very happy.

If there is no answer by 4-5 today, Shero has moved on, and Jagr is going to negotiate with other teams and get the highest contract.
Yeah, I really think we'll hear from Jagr pretty quickly if it's going to happen. If it gets much past noon I think it's over because RS will be focused on other things.

Only thing that might work in Jagr's favor in this case is a lot of teams are going to be overpaying mediocre players because of the weak FA class. So maybe RS doesn't really have any options at price tags he likes and by default ends up waiting longer than he would under normal circumstances to hear back from Jagr.
A lot depends on whether he signs Kennedy by noon. If Kennedy is signed, I could see him waiting on Jagr. If Kennedy is not signed, then Shero has to move.
Their stated plan all along is to sign both TK and Jagr.
Once Kennedy starts fielding offers at noon, that plan goes out the window in a hurry.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Ben Klingston wrote:
newarenanow wrote:My gut feeling is, if we hear before 3pm today that there is a newsconference for the Pens, then we will all be very happy.

If there is no answer by 4-5 today, Shero has moved on, and Jagr is going to negotiate with other teams and get the highest contract.
See, I'm not so sure. If there were a plethora of other high-upside Top 6 wings to be had for 2M/yr without giving them a long-term deal, I'd agree with you. But I don't see a lot of other players like that out there.

I think GMRS has to find another top 6 wing.... I hope his plan isn't "Well, it's noon and Jags hasn't accepted, soooooo, Rupper's gettin paid". Different players, different roles. I'd love to have Rupp back, for the record, but not with the money that needs to be spent on a top 6 wing.
I agree, that could be a possibility.

While the FA pool is bad this year, I would think though that Shero would want to sign the best of what is out there. He is not going to spend a ton of cash, but it may cut into Jagr's offer sheet if he feels there is a good deal out there.

I just honestly think that if Jagr is coming here, it will be announced sooner rather than later. The longer this goes past noon, and especially past 3 or 4 IMO, the less and less likely it is that he is coming here.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

npv708 wrote:My gut feeling about today...

Shero signs a legit top6 in the opening minutes of FA (Ryder, Vrbata), then waits to see if Kennedy/Jagr sign, so he's not left waiting for Jagr's decision.
Ryder isn't Shero's type of player. Vrbata is going tp cost 3.5 to 4 mil/yr to sign. There is not enough cap space to sign him and Jagr or Kennedy.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Shero signs a legit top6 in the opening minutes of FA (Ryder, Vrbata), then waits to see if Kennedy/Jagr sign, so he's not left waiting for Jagr's decision.
I think TK will be signed before noon today.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

npv708 wrote:Comment on TSN:
An optimist would look at the Pens your way. A realist would look at the Pens and see a team built on 'gimme' draft picks that's fallen apart in the last 2 years due to cap issues, ahd not a team thats 'been to the finals 2 of the last 4 years,' but a team that has failed to get past the 2nd round in the last 2 years. Of those 3 teams he's likely choosing from, Montreal is the only one who is improving because the other 2, while still great teams, are on the decline. Report this comment!
:face:
I was just thinking about this post again. Montreal went from the conference finals to getting knocked out in the first round. Isn't that a step back that should be considered a free fall to this guy?
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

pens_CT wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
beerman wrote:

Yeah, I really think we'll hear from Jagr pretty quickly if it's going to happen. If it gets much past noon I think it's over because RS will be focused on other things.

Only thing that might work in Jagr's favor in this case is a lot of teams are going to be overpaying mediocre players because of the weak FA class. So maybe RS doesn't really have any options at price tags he likes and by default ends up waiting longer than he would under normal circumstances to hear back from Jagr.
A lot depends on whether he signs Kennedy by noon. If Kennedy is signed, I could see him waiting on Jagr. If Kennedy is not signed, then Shero has to move.
Their stated plan all along is to sign both TK and Jagr.
Once Kennedy starts fielding offers at noon, that plan goes out the window in a hurry.
Only if those other offers are significantly over what the Pens have offered thus far under their 'sign both of 'em' plan. If he gets significantly better offers elsewhere, which is a very real possibility. then peace out TK. I don't think GMRS significantly ups his offer just because Jagr hasn't signed.... he has his value of TK and what he's been offered is about as much as GMRS is willing to do, in my opinion.
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by k0la »

newarenanow wrote:

If it was that straight forward, they could have made a deal right after they found out the salary cap for next season
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

If TK signs then RS won't have enough money to overpay for the scrubs that are the FA this year. Those guys are getting paid with the cap going up and the talent level so low. That is why there is huge interest in Jagr, if you are going to overpay someone, better it be for only 1 year.
SlipperyRockJoe
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by SlipperyRockJoe »

Headline ideas for if Jagr signs...

Jagr Bombs For Everybody

Czech This Out, Jagr Returns

Lord of The Rink: Return of the Czech

Headline ideas if he doesn't sign...

Back-Czeched

Lebron'd

You Can't Go Home Again

Jag-off
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

SlipperyRockJoe wrote:Headline ideas for if Jagr signs...

Jagr Bombs For Everybody

Czech This Out, Jagr Returns

Lord of The Rink: Return of the Czech

Headline ideas if he doesn't sign...

Back-Czeched

Lebron'd

You Can't Go Home Again

Jag-off
haha
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

Lesky, just out of curiosity how did you become a Pens fan? I always find it cool / interesting how we got our long distance fans
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

k0la wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

If it was that straight forward, they could have made a deal right after they found out the salary cap for next season
It's not that straight forward. They have been trying to work out a deal for a few days now.

They had to make decisions on player like Rupp, Talbot, and also figure out prices for Dupuis and Asham. None of that was known when the cap came out.

I think they work it out by noon today, or shortly afterwards.
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by k0la »

IronDukes37 wrote:If Pens don't get TK done is there the possibility they get priced out of (decent) FA all together?
All those cap floor teams are going to overspend, don't know if Pens cap space can compete if things get out of hand.
Probably what Shero meant by "Friday is going to be insane", prices are going to skyrocket?
I think Shero is just gonna use what he has for the regular season and get an upcoming UFA before trade deadline
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by PenguinSteve-o »

"Czech This Out, Jagr Returns" IS AMAZING
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by tonysoprano »

columbia wrote:
DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
Told there are still 4 teams in play for Jagr. Pitt, Det, Mtl (nibbling) and 1 other team (not Flyers). Good storyline for today.
:scared:
I was kind of under the impression to myself (based on the gaggle of **** i've read) that Montreal was kinda the front runner next to us - now they're just nibbling?

I have no idea what to believe, anymore.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

IronDukes37 wrote:If Pens don't get TK done is there the possibility they get priced out of (decent) FA all together?
All those cap floor teams are going to overspend, don't know if Pens cap space can compete if things get out of hand.
Probably what Shero meant by "Friday is going to be insane", prices are going to skyrocket?
I think there is a chance. I think they will get someone, but it's not goign to be a great pickup, and it will only be for 2 years so they can get them off the books quickly.

That is why I think he really wants to get a TK deal done, and get it done before noon.

Honestly, TK is one of the Pens best options, and IMO, a good one at that for the right price.
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by k0la »

newarenanow wrote:
k0la wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

It's not that straight forward. They have been trying to work out a deal for a few days now.

They had to make decisions on player like Rupp, Talbot, and also figure out prices for Dupuis and Asham. None of that was known when the cap came out.

I think they work it out by noon today, or shortly afterwards.
What I mean is I don't think the offer TK gets is gonna change much, just like with Jagr. He wants to see today what he can get. I'd say he decides sometime tomorrow
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by tonysoprano »

npv708 wrote:Comment on TSN:
An optimist would look at the Pens your way. A realist would look at the Pens and see a team built on 'gimme' draft picks that's fallen apart in the last 2 years due to cap issues, ahd not a team thats 'been to the finals 2 of the last 4 years,' but a team that has failed to get past the 2nd round in the last 2 years. Of those 3 teams he's likely choosing from, Montreal is the only one who is improving because the other 2, while still great teams, are on the decline. Report this comment!
:face:
Well, they're definitely built on gimme draft picks. That much is accurate.
Last edited by tonysoprano on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

tonysoprano wrote:
columbia wrote:
DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
Told there are still 4 teams in play for Jagr. Pitt, Det, Mtl (nibbling) and 1 other team (not Flyers). Good storyline for today.
:scared:
I was kind of under the impression to myself (based on the gaggle of **** i've read) that Montreal was kinda the front runner next to us - now they're just nibbling?

I have no idea what to believe, anymore.
Honestly, the only person I saw that said Montreal was the front runner was Eukland, and he was probably just thinking that because Jagr's agent is based in Montreal.

I think it has always been between Pgh and Detroit. Could end up something different if someone else jumps in and offers a great deal. Or if Pgh and Detroit move on if Jagr takes too long (I think both teams have contenders and won't care to wait for him and will do what's best for their teams).

We'll see. Definitely going to be a fun day/days.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Yeah I have a feeling it is Jagr and TK or no one. I think Draftnik in the other thread said the Pens have the most money committed to the cap going into today. So every team in the league has more money to spend AND there are teams that need to come up to the cap floor. So I doubt RS will be able to snag anyone. That is why I want Jagr so bad. 1 year deal that gets them through to next year's FA, and another year were we don't have to rely on the WBS guys except for injury duty.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

Dreger said the other team was...wait for it... St. Louis.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

IanMoran wrote:Lesky, just out of curiosity how did you become a Pens fan? I always find it cool / interesting how we got our long distance fans
Well, I do not really remember WHEN to be honest.

But why?

Jagr and Lemieux :D

I only know that I started collecting hockey cards of Pittsburgh and especially Jagr and Lemieux back in 1994 when I was 8 years old.

My best guess is that I saw some video footage of Jagr and Lemieux like 1993 and for some unknown reason started "idolizing" them.

I have no re-collection of the 1991 and 1992 Stanley cup finals. I am 100% sure I did not follow them in any kind of way, not even the results.

Thankfully I missed David Volek as well :pop:
Last edited by Lesky on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.