Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by FallenHero96 »

pittsports87 wrote:fwiw, EmptyNetters has said that @AnthonySan37 is as legit as they come. He is the guy that posted about the Pens front page already being ready and the Flyers were Jagr bombed.
I like that story better than I like this one:

""There's a lot more teams now we're talking to," Svoboda told ESPN.com Thursday evening.

As for getting a deal done by the time the free agency period opens at noon ET Friday, that plan appears to have gone by the boards as well.

Jagr, 39, will make a decision "in the next few days," Svoboda said."

Who knows. We all just wait and see I guess.
PolarPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by PolarPenguin »

Sure but if he can actually throw out concrete numbers, and say one team offered $4, and Jagr intended to sign with Pgh all along, that would make Jagr looks 100x better if he turned down double what Pgh was offering.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by marek »

FallenHero96 wrote:The "do right by Mario" quote is telling for me. Only reason Shero says that is if he knows Jagr is mulling other offers. So I don't think they already have an answer, it sounds like RS isn't sure what he is going to do either.
RS doesn't have a "relationship" with JJ.
Therefore he's approached this without emotion.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Boogeyman »

In 2000–01, Jágr was struggling to find his scoring touch and faced criticisms about his relationship with coach Ivan Hlinka.[5] With the return of Mario Lemieux from retirement, the Penguins had two superstars but friction developed between the two; Jágr held the captaincy but many fans regarded Lemieux as the talisman of the team. Also, the struggling, small-market Penguins could, with Lemieux back, no longer hope to afford Jágr's massive salary. Thus on July 11, 2001, they traded him (along with František Kučera) to the Washington Capitals for Kris Beech, Michal Sivek and Ross Lupaschuk.

From Jagr's wiki. For those of you asking for references.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Wiki isn't always the most reliable place to quote, as anyone can edit it to say anything.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Streaks House »

Wiki is not a legitimate source one should cite.
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Dave's_a_Killer »

Wiki is on the internet so it must be true.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Boogeyman »

skullman80 wrote:Wiki isn't always the most reliable place to quote, as anyone can edit it to say anything.
It's been on there for years without being removed. Typically, info that is not accurate is removed at some point.

Again, Savaran spoke on this issue during the DVE morning show last week and blatantly said that Jagr was upset because he was no longer "the man". Not hard to believe when Jagr himself has said that he needs to be "the man" on the teams he plays for.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Boogeyman »

Dave's_a_Killer wrote:Wiki is on the internet so it must be true.
Sweet logic, so why are you advocating the usage of links?

:thumb:
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Boogeyman wrote:

Newspapers Guy. Something somebody credible wrote.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Matthew Monstar »

Someone should hack the Pens website and see if there is anything waiting to be published. :)
FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by FrozenNuts »

Dave's_a_Killer wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:

You assume news writers these days are credible.
winger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by winger »

I'd like to see the Pens press release that was mysteriously seen at the airport earlier this week.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

winger wrote:I'd like to see the Pens press release that was mysteriously seen at the airport earlier this week.
You didn't get a copy? I did.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Boogeyman wrote:In 2000–01, Jágr was struggling to find his scoring touch and faced criticisms about his relationship with coach Ivan Hlinka.[5] With the return of Mario Lemieux from retirement, the Penguins had two superstars but friction developed between the two; Jágr held the captaincy but many fans regarded Lemieux as the talisman of the team. Also, the struggling, small-market Penguins could, with Lemieux back, no longer hope to afford Jágr's massive salary. Thus on July 11, 2001, they traded him (along with František Kučera) to the Washington Capitals for Kris Beech, Michal Sivek and Ross Lupaschuk.

Well, that's a start. Unfortunately, it's Wiki, which can be edited by anyone. I'd start to listen to you if the Wiki article had a link to an article documenting the supposed rift between Lemieux and Jagr. The only article I see linked in that article is http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey ... d_jagr_ap/ It talks about Jagr's slump and sulking that year, but it's dated 12/9 - roughly 3 weeks before Mario's comeback. So there is no connection that his comeback caused a rift between the two on or off the ice.

Here's what I found with that "Google" think you linked us to:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey ... meback_ap/

It's about a week after Mario's comeback

Some highlights:

As well as Lemieux has played since ending his 3 1/2-year retirement, he has made Jagr play even better.

Think Lemieux's comeback isn't having an immediate and a dramatic effect on the Penguins, who now consider themselves a prime candidate to win the Stanley Cup?

Just ask Jagr, who is suddenly playing again with the enthusiasm and fun of a school kid and the skill of a three-time defending NHL scoring champion.

"He's making a big difference," Jagr said

"Everything has changed since he came back," Jagr said. "All of a sudden, there isn't one guy on me all the time. I feel like I'm playing a different game now. There's always someone open, and they have to respect everybody on the rink."

You could argue that what would Jagr be expected to say, considering Lemieux owned the team at that point. However, if it was just lip service, there wouldn't have been a dramatic spike in Jagr's on-ice performance after Mario came back. He absolutely jump-started Jagr, physically and mentally.

Now, I'm not saying that it lasted. In the end, Jagr still sulked and left, I have never heard anything and more importantly, read anything, suggesting that his unhappiness and departure was even partially attributed to a rift with Lemieux or sharing the spotlight. Everything I've read and hear shows that his sulking and leaving was in spite of the effect of Mario's comeback; it delayed that sulking and Mario's play, along with Jagr's improved play for periods of time, along with the rest of the team, led them to the ECF that year. Stating Jagr was a baby and sulked because of Lemieux's comeback is simply not true based on everything I have ever read and heard. That's 10 years ago, so I am not saying I'm 100% infallible, but until I see or hear something different, and I really am not trying to be a dick about this, I have to question your memory of things things.

I heard Savran's interview on DVE last week and I did not hear what you heard.

I'm seriously interested in trying to find something to the contrary of what I've found documented... anyone else out there know differently?
Last edited by Ben Klingston on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

FrozenNuts wrote:
Dave's_a_Killer wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:

You assume news writers these days are credible.
This would have been 10 years ago. Ben found one.
Last edited by Dave's_a_Killer on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Boogeyman »

Dave's_a_Killer wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:

My apologies, I've now relized if it's not in the newspaper, it's not true. Addtionally, anyone who writes for a newspaper is credible there for making anything you read in a newspaper accurate.

Noted.

You watch Fox news don't you...
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Boogeyman wrote:
Dave's_a_Killer wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:

My apologies, I've now relized if it's not in the newspaper, it's not true. Addtionally, anyone who writes for a newspaper is credible there for making anything you read in a newspaper accurate.

Noted.

As opposed to Wikipedia as you quoted?
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Boogeyman »

Ben Klingston wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:In 2000–01, Jágr was struggling to find his scoring touch and faced criticisms about his relationship with coach Ivan Hlinka.[5] With the return of Mario Lemieux from retirement, the Penguins had two superstars but friction developed between the two; Jágr held the captaincy but many fans regarded Lemieux as the talisman of the team. Also, the struggling, small-market Penguins could, with Lemieux back, no longer hope to afford Jágr's massive salary. Thus on July 11, 2001, they traded him (along with František Kučera) to the Washington Capitals for Kris Beech, Michal Sivek and Ross Lupaschuk.

Well, that's a start. Unfortunately, it's Wiki, which can be edited by anyone. I'd start to listen to you if the Wiki article had a link to an article documenting the supposed rift between Lemieux and Jagr. The only article I see linked in that article is http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey ... d_jagr_ap/ It talks about Jagr's slump and sulking that year, but it's dated 12/9 - roughly 3 weeks before Mario's comeback. So there is no connection that his comeback caused a rift between the two on or off the ice.

Here's what I found with that "Google" think you linked us to:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey ... meback_ap/

It's about a week after Mario's comeback

Some highlights:

As well as Lemieux has played since ending his 3 1/2-year retirement, he has made Jagr play even better.

Think Lemieux's comeback isn't having an immediate and a dramatic effect on the Penguins, who now consider themselves a prime candidate to win the Stanley Cup?

Just ask Jagr, who is suddenly playing again with the enthusiasm and fun of a school kid and the skill of a three-time defending NHL scoring champion.

"He's making a big difference," Jagr said

"Everything has changed since he came back," Jagr said. "All of a sudden, there isn't one guy on me all the time. I feel like I'm playing a different game now. There's always someone open, and they have to respect everybody on the rink."

You could argue that what would Jagr be expected to say, considering Lemieux owned the team at that point. However, if it was just lip service, there wouldn't have been a dramatic spike in Jagr's on-ice performance after Mario came back. He absolutely jump-started Jagr, physically and mentally.

Now, I'm not saying that it lasted. In the end, Jagr still sulked and left, I have never heard anything and more importantly, read anything, suggesting that his unhappiness and departure was even partially attributed to a rift with Lemieux or sharing the spotlight. Everything I've read and hear shows that his sulking and leaving was in spite of the effect of Mario's comeback; it delayed that sulking and Mario's play, along with Jagr's improved play for periods of time, along with the rest of the team, led them to the ECF that year. Stating Jagr was a baby and sulked because of Lemieux's comeback is simply not true based on everything I have ever read and heard. That's 10 years ago, so I am not saying I'm 100% infallible, but until I see or hear something different, and I really am not trying to be a dick about this, I have to question your memory of things things.

I heard Savran's interview on DVE last week and I did not hear what you heard.

I'm seriously interested in trying to find something to the contrary of what I've found documented... anyone else out there know differently?

Well I appreciate you not being a dick about it, as I was. I got my info from Savaran on DVE. I did not read it anywhere online. I tried a google search as well.

But really, it was 2001... the internets wasn't as common place for that type of gossip as it is now.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Boogeyman »

Dave's_a_Killer wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:
Dave's_a_Killer wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:

Noted.

As opposed to Wikipedia as you quoted?
So info found on Wikipedia is inaccurate? Or specifically the info I quoted? Do you have a link that says it's not true?

I bet you have Glenn Becks book.
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Boogeyman

I am Glenn Beck.
Last edited by Dave's_a_Killer on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Boogeyman »

I was under the impression that most people were aware that Jagr was complexed at the notion of playing second fiddle to Lemieux... again.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

FAUX NEWS
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

IronDukes37 wrote:
Boogeyman
Who the hell is this troll?
Obvious double account trying to stir up ****.
Weak.
Go to bed.

34 posts all in this thread.