Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by Lesky »

I wish I had gotten to bed already and had missed out on the latest report and the fallout.....truly depressing.

Goodnight.
SCrosby87
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by SCrosby87 »

Can we seriously just end this post? No reason to continue it. Jagr has either fooled us all and has an agreement with the Pens or he's going after the biggest payday... As usual.
FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by FrozenNuts »

FA signing starts at noon tomorrow. I expect an answer at around noon tomorrow. What is that such a hard pill for many of you to swallow?
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

Blah, blah, blah...sorry.
Last edited by Doogs on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Lesky wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
Lesky wrote: ---
Lowballing Jagr makes no sense for the short-term (this year) and is a disaster for the egacy of one the finest players the Penguins will ever have had on the roster. I think Lemieux and Shero owes it to the club and fans to make everything possible to make this homecoming happen!

Jagr has his share of course too, but the Penguins need to take the first step and really ensure Jagr that they want him and WHY etc.
---
If Lemieux were requesting the same comeback, would we have held him ransom in the same way? I say hell no. And I think its wrong to do it to Jaromir!
By offering Jagr a contract they ensure him that they want him. Suggesting that they should up the ante just to make him feel wanted is laughable at best. You are coddling Jagr up and down this thread like the little baby that he is. If he wants to feel wanted, tell him to call his mommy. Shero doesn't owe the fans anything to make this particular deal happen. He is strapped for cash with the cap as it is and can ill-afford to negotiate any more with Jagr than what he already has.

This team is stacked up and down the roster without Jagr, and he has ALREADY done everything in his power to help ensure this. Signing Jagr now becomes some sort of priority so that the big baby can come back and restore his legacy here? Moreover, we need to up the offer so that we "for sure, most definitely, super duper promise" that we really want him?

If what you say is true about him needing to feel wanted to even the slightest degree, then I think Shero should tell him to pound salt. Enough is enough.

Shero gave him the offer, take it or leave it. He needs to know. Delaying his decision is just a typical dick move by the Jagr camp. He and his agent are proving they are anything but first-class here.
Why is it laughable to try to sign Jagr at market value? It might very well be good for team at the same as its good for Jagrs Penguins legacy. Giving Jagr a little special treatment BEFORE signing the deal is not hurting anyone but the haters pride - and like I described there are many obstacles for Jagr to overcome if he signed with the Pens. So therefore it might take a little extra effort. You are exaggerating and making fun of stuff that is going on in most contract negotiating.

If you are a fan of Sheros take it or leave strategy, fine. But don´t tell me we are not going to miss out on players that would have given bang for the bucks even if Shero would have upped his offer a bit. Shero surely thinks the postive outweighs the bad, but Jagr is such a special player for the organisation that we shouldn´t risk missing out on him to possible save 0.5 million. Jagr merchandise will get that money back to the Pens in no time.

We will still spend the money on someone else, and the free agent pool sucks, so chances are we end up with something worse.

You are just taking everything and making it look bad, what objective viewers calls regular negotiating your calling "immature and dick move".. Its just impossible to argument against such idiocity.
It's not laughable to try and sign Jagr at market value. Read my post again. I said it's laughable that he said it's not about the money, yet people like you claim that he just wants fair market value. That's a contradiction.

Shero shouldn't up his offer to Jagr because there is almost zero wiggle room. Why should Shero keep chasing a guy that has no idea what he wants to do? He gave him his offer and needs to do no more.

Regular negotiating, as you put it, went out the window when you hear things like, "It's not about the money, he wants to play in pittsburgh, etc. etc. etc." You can't say one thing and presume to be doing another.

So either Jaromir Jagr is still the same immature clown we all know him to be or he is a flat out liar.
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Dave's_a_Killer »

SCrosby87 wrote:Can we seriously just end this post? No reason to continue it. Jagr has either fooled us all and has an agreement with the Pens or he's going after the biggest payday... As usual.

Feel free to depart this thread anytime you like. It's not over yet.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

#jagrwatch was fun yesterday, now it has a depressing feel to it.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Doogs wrote:Over at TiOPS, D tweeted that Jagr doesn't want to come here and if he waits till noon Shero will move on and he will save face. Take it for what you want to.
But he said he DID want to come here. That tweet makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

AlexPKeaton wrote:People calling calling immature need to look in the mirror. Their lack of patience over a FA before the deadline to even sign is ridiculous. Who is RS going to sign? Simon Gagne? Lol.
:thumb:
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

pens2005 wrote:
Doogs wrote:Over at TiOPS, D tweeted that Jagr doesn't want to come here and if he waits till noon Shero will move on and he will save face. Take it for what you want to.
But he said he DID want to come here. That tweet makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
I checked and found no such tweet...sorry. Removing the post.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by NJ5934 »

Ben Klingston wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:I think there is alot to be said for a Ranger team with cap space not wanting anything to do with him.
These aren't your father's NYR. They are a completely different team and organization than the last Jags go-around. They are one of the better teams the past few years cultivating from within and not throwing $ at older past-their-prime guys.
yes and no......Sather is building the right way NOW but I think Torts and Messier have alot to do with that. Keep in mind, Sather is still a guy who in recent years has been responsible for the Rozival, Redden, Drury and Gomez contracts, all of which they have had to back out of in one way. The point I was trying to make was that its interesting because Jagr is likely coming cheap this time around yet NY, the last team he played for, wants nothing to do with him.

I'm sorry, I was never in favor of Jagr coming back and at this point I'm so done with all this drama. I would so much rather have Kennedy and Rupp resigned and Upshall added than have that headcase (68) back. I get the excitment of it, I do......but Jagr to me, is just so anti everything DB and RS have tried to turn this organization into.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by RxBandit66 »

For all we know, Jagr could be reading this right now in a hotel somewhere, probably having a good laugh because he already agreed to sign with the Pens and Shero is just waiting until noon tomorrow to announce it. The decision on Jagr has been made; he is coming here, and RS is busy working on getting TK signed now. At least that's what I think.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

FrozenNuts wrote:FA signing starts at noon tomorrow. I expect an answer at around noon tomorrow. What is that such a hard pill for many of you to swallow?
Not a hard pill to swallow at all. If Svoboda had kept his mouth shut this entire week, said nothing more than "We are talking to a few teams, and a decision will be made come Friday" I'd be perfectly fine with that.

But Svoboda comes out and says his client is flying to the US Wednesday, will be here at 3pm, and a decision within the hour after landing.....leads into yesterday's whole mess, where's Jagr, etc. Then further makes himself look like an @$$ by saying it's late, we need to talk, decision tomorrow (today), which now changes to maybe Friday, maybe a few days. This is excactly the type of crap Jagr was known for, drama and me me me stuff. This isn't just Pens fans on this board overreacting. I've seen plenty of members of the national media calling this whole situation absurd (Burnside, Wysneski, etc).
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

DelPen wrote:

None of this sideshow is at Jagr's hands.
That's absurd. His agent works FOR Jagr. This has Jaromir's name written all over it. He decides what he wants to do. Not Svoboda. Jagr can end all of this anytime he wants to.

Svoboda is not handling this well at all, but to say Jagr has nothing to do with this is way off base IMO.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

Gaucho wrote:Image
Gaucho, I always pictured you as older....
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by marek »

Come noon tomorrow, Shero will go in another direction. He will have to.
RS understand's that Jagr has the free right to choose where he wants to play and therefore, how much.
That's why there was no deadline in place.

The ball is in Jagr's court, the pens gave him an offer (from what it sounds contrary to PeeWee McGuire) a fair offer-or what they can fit under the cap, and the question is whether or not he will be true to his statement about his heart being in Pittsburgh. I for one never believed him. I think his statement was meant to be more of a compliment to Mario than an actual "guarantee of play for discount". He promised Edmonton first dibs too.

This is all so very similar to how his "Dying Alive" comment was misinterpreted.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Seems to be the first free agent period for some of you.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Doogs wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
I checked and found no such tweet...sorry. Removing the post.
no problem...i knew something didn't sound right there.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Boogeyman »

Why are people so bent out of shape over a 39 year old child... when Crosby is currently working out two days on his normal summer routine.

It's like we are reliving dying alive all over again. Wake up, and take into consideration that Crosby and Malkin are going to be around come October... also James f'n Neal is on this team. We have the best defense in the league. We have a top 5 goalie (arguably top 2). We have a norris trophy candidate on this team. Unfortunetley we still have Staal on this team (I kid, kind of).

Take yourself back to two months ago when Jagr was still an idiot and forget about his ass.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by RxBandit66 »

It's not so much that the Pens need Jagr as they need a guy with his type of passing skills. If anyone thinks the Pens will win a Cup with Dustin Jeffrey and Nick Johnson in the top 6, they are fooling themselves. As for Upshall, he's just another guy who hustles but can't pass or shoot particularly well. The Pens have so many guys like that already. If Sid or Geno (or both) go down again for any length of time, a guy like Jagr can carry a team on his back for a few games at a time. You can't just plug guys like Letestu in there and expect to win consistently.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

Now tiops just tweeted that he listened to what Svoboda said, and he said they MAY need a few days and he didn't hear the may the first time. Joke reporting city.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

Streaks House wrote:
SCrosby87 wrote:This is more on Svoboda than Jagr. Svoboda has been very manipulative during this process. I can't completely put it on Jagr.
Jagr is a nearly 40 year old man, not an 18 year old rookie. He's fully responsible for the conduct of those he pays to represent him. No one is manipulating him or forcing him down this path.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by RxBandit66 »

I wish people would stop bashing Jagr. For all we know he might decide to take less money to play here. He already will turn down more money from Russia. He has not said "no" and even Svoboda says Pittsburgh is very much in the picture.

The guy is the 6th leading scorer of all time. He does not owe the Penguins another game in that uniform. He might choose the Pens and if he does, it will surely be the last time we will ever see him skate. People forget how good he was, and how many games he won for the Pens.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Boogeyman »

RxBandit66 wrote:It's not so much that the Pens need Jagr as they need a guy with his type of passing skills. If anyone thinks the Pens will win a Cup with Dustin Jeffrey and Nick Johnson in the top 6, they are fooling themselves. As for Upshall, he's just another guy who hustles but can't pass or shoot particularly well. The Pens have so many guys like that already. If Sid or Geno (or both) go down again for any length of time, a guy like Jagr can carry a team on his back for a few games at a time. You can't just plug guys like Letestu in there and expect to win consistently.
I doubt Jagr can carry a team so to speak. If he becomes the focus he will be shut down.

He is 39 years old. He is not the player he was in 2008...