Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
winger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by winger »

I am still waiting for the unfolding/retelling of the "amazing story" that DK foretold us about yesterday... you know, the one leading up to the announcement of his signing with the Pens? I guess we are in it right now.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Post by Bob McKenzie »

If Jagr signs, I think Lesky should be given an honorary Jagr title for fighting the good fight. :thumb:

If he doesn't sign, someone please put Lesky on #suicidewatch. :pop:
Spoiler:
:lol:
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by westside »

Daniel87 wrote:
Lesky wrote:
pittsports87 wrote:New Rossi Story:
http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/20 ... -by-mario/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shero quote:
“Petr thought the decision would be made by Wednesday; I never put a deadline on it, Shero said. “I said that certainly us, and probably a lot of other teams, would want to know by the start of free agency – that I’d like to have an idea of what’s going on.”
Hopefully this shuts up all the people that been claiming how Jagr is first class prick and dirtbag for not even respecting the deadline Shero gave him!

So it was pleasing that Shero adressed it. But why was Rossi running with the "deadline" story like a madman?

Shero was quoted as saying that yesterday was "decision day" for Jagr. I guess some of us took that to mean "deadline."

Oh, you mean a quote was taken out of context and interpreted wrong and caused mass panic on a message board, causing knee jerk reactions and bashing of people even though the situation is only understood by a few people (none of which post here).

I. AM. SHOCKED.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

westside wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:
Lesky wrote:
http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/20 ... -by-mario/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shero quote:
“Petr thought the decision would be made by Wednesday; I never put a deadline on it, Shero said. “I said that certainly us, and probably a lot of other teams, would want to know by the start of free agency – that I’d like to have an idea of what’s going on.”
Hopefully this shuts up all the people that been claiming how Jagr is first class prick and dirtbag for not even respecting the deadline Shero gave him!

So it was pleasing that Shero adressed it. But why was Rossi running with the "deadline" story like a madman?

Shero was quoted as saying that yesterday was "decision day" for Jagr. I guess some of us took that to mean "deadline."
Oh, you mean a quote was taken out of context and interpreted wrong and caused mass panic on a message board, causing knee jerk reactions and bashing of people even though the situation is only understood by a few people (none of which post here).

I. AM. SHOCKED.
POST OF THE DAY! :thumb:
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by It'sagreatdayforhockey! »

Is the reason this thread has become so long because it contains the unholy trinity of LGP talk?

3 biggest threads pre-"Jagr back":
1) "Crosby Skates" - A story of a poor man ripped from his team who is attempting to come back. Check
2) "Hossa to Det" - A story about a former love stolen by another. Check
3) "Racchi's Rug" - A story about a bond between man and his faithful hair (or lack thereof). Check

Former player possibly returning or possibly going to a rival, but certainly with less hair than in the past.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

westside wrote:I. AM. SHOCKED.
Spoiler:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

winger wrote:I am still waiting for the unfolding/retelling of the "amazing story" that DK foretold us about yesterday... you know, the one leading up to the announcement of his signing with the Pens? I guess we are in it right now.
DK gets a free pass all the time.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Tomas wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Shero said he is hoping that Jagr has “meant what he’s said by wanting to do right by Mario (Lemieux).”
That statement right there is like when Michael brought Frank Pentangeli's brother over from Sicily. I love the subtle intimidation of it. ;) :lol:
Personally, I think the statement does have its entertainment value. However, to use it during what's still billed as good-faith negotiations is, in my opinion, not appropriate or smart. For me, tactics like these would be a big reason not to sign a contract.
I might agree, taking it at face value. The fact is, none of us have any insider info, but it could well be that a statement such as that was a very calculated one. It seems to us, on the outside, that Jagr is an emotional kind of person. I'm sure to insiders that may or may not be true, but it does definitely seem to be the case, and it also IS the case that Jagr has a very strong emotional bond to Lemieux - his boyhood idol and eventual teammate. I think it's fair at this point to assume that PGH's offer is not the most lucrative, financially. So I take this comment to be Shero's way of sweetening the deal, as it were, emotionally. "Yes, Jaromir, you can make more money elsewhere; but Mario will be disappointed if you don't take our offer." That also suggests that Shero really does value Jagr as a free agent.

As with the rest of this thread, it's all idle speculation. None of us really know the inside stories and personalities of the main characters. But I personally found that statement to be the most interesting thing to come out of this saga so far.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:Is the reason this thread has become so long because it contains the unholy trinity of LGP talk?

3 biggest threads pre-"Jagr back":
1) "Crosby Skates" - A story of a poor man ripped from his team who is attempting to come back. Check
2) "Hossa to Det" - A story about a former love stolen by another. Check
3) "Racchi's Rug" - A story about a bond between man and his faithful hair (or lack thereof). Check

Former player possibly returning or possibly going to a rival, but certainly with less hair than in the past.
Well, this thread has also veered into the epic 753-page Political Discussion thread's territory with talk of Sarah Palin, JFK, and Harris Wofford, and offers to Jagr from Commies, but I hope it doesn't go there any more. :scared: :scared: :scared:
SidsBroDave
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by SidsBroDave »

jstoyanoff Jeff Stoyanoff
#Shero has begun to look worse than #Huntington as a GM. Can't find wingers via free agency or the draft and can't resign others. #jagrwatch

Check this guy out!!
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Any relation to Alex Stojanov!?!? :scared:
SidsBroDave
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by SidsBroDave »

Guinness wrote:Any relation to Alex Stojanov!?!? :scared:

Don't know...Haven't seen his driving record!!
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Off tomorrow, and can finally read this thread the right way...drunk. Bottoms up.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Post by Bob McKenzie »

shafnutz05 wrote:Off tomorrow, and can finally read this thread the right way...drunk. Bottoms up.
JARGOMIR JARG SINED WIT TEH PENZ SEZ RAYJARG SHEROZ!
jwest21
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jwest21 »

I am very happy to return and see that nothing was settled whilst I played a round of golf
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Jaromir Jagr is the reason I and many Penguins fans still today are following the Penguins.

To have his number retired, his legacy protected and sealed is in my opinion worth more than 0.5-1.5 million this very season. (and chances are good the money is well spent) For the fans and the organisation to forgive and make peace with Jagr would be something that would influence the Penguins until Jagr dies.

It's only a one year contract for the 2nd best Penguin of all time, who has a huge upside if things work out. Shero means we could really not negotiate with him at all? I could see if we were against the cap, but we have decent room with only a few spots to fill. Jagr could easily see this stubborn tactic by Shero as if the Pens do no really want him.

What we must remember is that Jaromir Jagr also take a huge risk in coming back to Pittsburgh. He will have to faceoff all the demons from 2000 and win back the fans base and the journalists. Because of this Jagr faces and enormous pressure to produce, since the fans would pick on him very quickly if things don´t go well.

If Jagr somehow interprets Sheros actions as he is not wanted, then the chances of him coming home is slim at best.

Something is wrong with this picture, to me it definitely seems Shero is very skeptical about adding him to the team. I think he made the offer only because of Lemieux and Bylsma and because he wanted to protect himself from eventual fan backslash. I'm guessing Shero is with the crowd that thinks he could be a distraction, and could maybe mess with team chemistry. I don't know. But you can't tell me he's real excited about the idea of adding Jagr , if he only offered like han 1.5 million, he should understand that adding a 0.5 million could mean sealing the deal!

How much does it hurt the Penguins chances of adding Jagr at 2.5 or even 3 million for this year? Chances are very slim that we will find a better player for the money!

All in all I see many reasons to go out of the way to ensure Jagr is comfortable, feeling wanted and try to reach a deal.

---
Lowballing Jagr makes no sense for the short-term (this year) and is a disaster for the egacy of one the finest players the Penguins will ever have had on the roster. I think Lemieux and Shero owes it to the club and fans to make everything possible to make this homecoming happen!

Jagr has his share of course too, but the Penguins need to take the first step and really ensure Jagr that they want him and WHY etc.
---
If Lemieux were requesting the same comeback, would we have held him ransom in the same way? I say hell no. And I think its wrong to do it to Jaromir!
Last edited by Lesky on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Bob McKenzie wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Off tomorrow, and can finally read this thread the right way...drunk. Bottoms up.
I just finished my first beer. Try again in four hours.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

shafnutz05 wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:
I just finished my first beer. Try again in four hours.
Try what Doc has to offer. You'll get there faster.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WHITEY1 »

[youtube][/youtube]
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Lesky wrote:

Shero quote:
Hopefully this shuts up all the people that been claiming how Jagr is first class prick and dirtbag for not even respecting the deadline Shero gave him! He brought an incredible amount of Jagr hate out of the people! I am actually convinced Shero brought it up to cut Jagr some slack.

Jagr still is a ***** bag, Lesky. What is with the deliberation? Why the difficult decision? If he said his heart was in Pittsburgh or he wanted to play here, then why the delay?

Whether or not there was a deadline, Jagr taking this down to the wire proves, for the ump-teenth time, that he is a spoiled, immature, drama queen.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Tico Rick wrote:Try what Doc has to offer. You'll get there faster.forget the next 2 weeks
FIFY
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

pens2005 wrote:
Lesky wrote:

Shero quote:
Hopefully this shuts up all the people that been claiming how Jagr is first class prick and dirtbag for not even respecting the deadline Shero gave him! He brought an incredible amount of Jagr hate out of the people! I am actually convinced Shero brought it up to cut Jagr some slack.

Jagr still is a ***** bag, Lesky. What is with the deliberation? Why the difficult decision? If he said his heart was in Pittsburgh or he wanted to play here, then why the delay?

Whether or not there was a deadline, Jagr taking this down to the wire proves, for the ump-teenth time, that he is a spoiled, immature, drama queen.
So every player that wants to make the most money possible is a "spoiled, immature, drama queen."

I repeat once again: you can say Jagr is greedy or you can say he simply wants market value.

But going on with the other crap just shows that you are disrespectful since its totally uncalled for.

That is exactly the kind of hating we could do without.
Last edited by Lesky on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I'm not amused

Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

Lesky wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
Lesky wrote:

Shero quote:

So every player than wants to make the most money possible is a "spoiled, immature, drama queen."

I repeat once again: you can say Jagr is greedy or you can say he simply wants market value.

But going on with the other crap just shows that you are disrespectful since its totally uncalled for.

That is exactly the kind of hating we could do without.
It's hard to blame a guy for going after money. If the Pens are out though, let us off the hook.