Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by Lesky »

LOL.

In 2007-2008 Jagr admitted pacing himself a bit to be at his best during the playoffs. Jagr took some serious slack for this in the NY media. The problems began after Jagrs shoulder injury. He came back too soon without a proper pre-season and his play suffered from it.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Boogeyman wrote: Shero, nor the penguins have much to lose. Jagr needs Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh doesn't need Jagr.
Agree that Pittsburgh does not need Jagr, but I don't know that Jagr really needs Pittsburgh, unless he has an emotional need to heal up what he may perceive (and probably most Pens fans would agree) as an awkward parting-of-ways.

Jagr can play in this league, and it doesn't HAVE to be in Pittsburgh.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

Or he's going to be 40 this year and is coming off a couple unremarkable seasons in the KHL, where a bunch of NHL wash-outs did better than him. I loved Jagr when he was here, but he's not going to anything close to the player he used to be. People need to think with their heads, not their hearts. Shero clearly is, which makes sense because he has no emotional attachment to Jagr.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

malksby8771 wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:
malksby8771 wrote: At age 36, Jagr lead the 2007-2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs in scoring after two rounds with 15 points in 10 games. Those were his last games in the NHL, and he outscored Crosby, Malkin, Hossa, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc. playing on the freaking Rangers who didn't have much scoring depth that year to be honest.
This is a good point. David Krejci led this year's playoffs in scoring, which I assume means he'll win the Art Ross next year, or three years from now, or something like that.

Or maybe you can't tell much from a small sample size.
86 points including playoffs in 91 games that season, or 77.5 points over an 82 game season. Or 1,599 points in 1,273 points for his career. How are those sample sizes for you?
Heck, Lemieux has more points lifetime in fewer games and isn't playing hide-and-seek with the world because he wants more money. Let's bring him back instead.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malksby8771 »

Lesky wrote:LOL.

In 2007-2008 Jagr admitted pacing himself a bit to be at his best during the playoffs. Jagr took some serious slack for this in the NY media. The problems began after Jagrs shoulder injury. He came back too soon without a proper pre-season and his play suffered from it.
If he paces himself with us by "only" scoring 55 points in the regular season as we cruise to an Atlantic Division title to save a 23 points effort in 24 playoff games as we win the Stanley Cup, I'll be fine with the 1 year 2M offer.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Guinness wrote:
Boogeyman wrote: Shero, nor the penguins have much to lose. Jagr needs Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh doesn't need Jagr.
Agree that Pittsburgh does not need Jagr, but I don't know that Jagr really needs Pittsburgh, unless he has an emotional need to heal up what he may perceive (and probably most Pens fans would agree) as an awkward parting-of-ways.

I would call that fair and objective view of things! I would love Jagr to be nostalgic etc, but that seems not to be the case. I also believe Jagr is afraid of going back to Pittsburgh in some ways! He will be facing alot of old demons.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

HomerPenguin wrote: Heck, Lemieux has more points lifetime in fewer games and isn't playing hide-and-seek with the world because he wants more money. Let's bring him back instead.
You had me at hello.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Henry Hank wrote:Or he's going to be 40 this year and is coming off a couple unremarkable seasons in the KHL, where a bunch of NHL wash-outs did better than him. I loved Jagr when he was here, but he's not going to anything close to the player he used to be. People need to think with their heads, not their hearts. Shero clearly is, which makes sense because he has no emotional attachment to Jagr.
Not to mention he went from a Hart season to 70, NYR cut him, and floated around potting above average points in a second-tier league. I don't see how he is much of an upgrade over Kovy, and I don't think he warrants $2 million or more.
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dan H »

Boogeyman wrote:I think the situation is easy to read. He wants the glory of returning to the pens org, but he also wants significant compensation. He does not feel the penguins have offered him fair compensation. Svboda is posturing with other teams to go back to Ray with a general dollar amount that other teams are willing to pay. Shero either calls Jagr's bluff and Jagr caves, or Jagr goes to the highest bidder and the penguins make the playoffs next season anyway.

Shero, nor the penguins have much to lose. Jagr needs Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh doesn't need Jagr.
Hey, don't you know you're not supposed to post reasoned analysis in your first 6 posts ever? Your posts should be more like:
:scared:
or
Does Jarmoir Jarg wear a hat concealing his mullet while attempting to pick up a woman complimenting the hat a la whatever whatever
You just might upset the precarious balance of the whole board, posting stuff worth reading.

:scared:
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Boogeyman »

Guinness wrote:

True.

I'm just going off the comment his agent made in that his (Jagr) heart is in Pittsburgh. On top of that, Jagr's career to date has been a soap opera... Coming back to the Penguins would be the ideal final episode (for him) presumably.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Henry Hank wrote:Or he's going to be 40 this year and is coming off a couple unremarkable seasons in the KHL, where a bunch of NHL wash-outs did better than him. I loved Jagr when he was here, but he's not going to anything close to the player he used to be. People need to think with their heads, not their hearts. Shero clearly is, which makes sense because he has no emotional attachment to Jagr.
Until we know Sheros actual offer to Jagr there is no way of telling if Shero is the man or not. If the Pens does not sign Jagr, is it 100% sure we will get the correct number Jagr was offered?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

This is totally the same thing that happened to Kovalev this season. He was pacing himself through the NHL playoffs so he'd be fresh for the Togliatti summer beer and borscht league season.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

#JagrWatch is now #LemieuxWatch brought to you courtesy of HomerPenguin ;)
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

HomerPenguin wrote:

This is totally the same thing that happened to Kovalev this season. He was pacing himself through the NHL playoffs so he'd be fresh for the Togliatti summer beer and borscht league season.
Only difference Jagr lead the playoffs in scoring :scared:
sdm5055
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by sdm5055 »

Wyatt Earp is on the History channel
theAmbassador
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by theAmbassador »

ExPatriatePen wrote:#JagrWatch is now #LemieuxWatch brought to you courtesy of HomerPenguin ;)
He's in the best shape of his life.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

ExPatriatePen wrote:#JagrWatch is now #LemieuxWatch brought to you courtesy of HomerPenguin ;)
I do what I can.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

neophool wrote:JOGGER?
It's a soft J.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malksby8771 »

TheHammer24 wrote:
Not to mention he went from a Hart season to 70, NYR cut him, and floated around potting above average points in a second-tier league. I don't see how he is much of an upgrade over Kovy, and I don't think he warrants $2 million or more.
Not true. He followed up his Hart worthy season of 123 points at age 34 with 96 points at age 35, then, as I said thrice now, followed that up with a 77 point average over the playoffs and regular season (86 points in 91 games) at age 36. Not to mention he did this playing with guys like a 35 year old Marty Straka and Scott Gomez. Not exactly a young Malkin and Neal on his wings (along with Sid on the PP). I think it's obvious he'd score at least 60 points over a full season here.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

I missed the interview with Ken Holland.

Did he say anything other than the obvious = Jaromir Jagr is missing somewhere in North America?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

sdm5055 wrote:Wyatt Earp is on the History channel
#earpwatch?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

I'm on that bangwagon, boyo.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

Lesky wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:

Only difference Jagr lead the playoffs in scoring :scared:
No, he led the first 10 games of the playoffs in scoring. I bet you could find lots of 10 game slices of any season where some unexpected guys happened to score more points than anybody else over that short stretch.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

I gotta admit, following #JagrWatch on twitter has had some funny moments.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

F'ing Seaturtles