Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by Kovy27 »

netwolf wrote:
Doogs wrote:LOL, KDKA just had an update. It was 15 seconds long and said essentially, yesterday it looked like the Pens, today we have no clue, but as soon as we do we'll tell you. HAHAHA
Last night, they quoted Pittsburgh Eklund (I refuse to use the site's real name, but most of you can figure it out I'm sure) as a source on one of their news broadcasts. I am no longer watching KDKA news.
Was it Bob Pompeani? I refuse to watch the evening news because of him...

Heather Abraham keeps me motivated in the morning.
rgpens2387

Post by rgpens2387 »

I still have a feeling Jagr, Lemieux, and Shero are sitting at Consol drinking beers, eating kit kats, and watching this thread and discussing whether to make the announcement when it reaches page 266 or 268.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ILikeTurtles »

A little over 30% of Lesky's posts are in this thread :face:
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

penny lane wrote:
Doogs wrote:
penny lane wrote:is it 12:01 am ~ or 12 noon that Jaromir and others can sign?
Noon
thanks~ I will sleep tonight, unlike Lesky...day 3 and night of the #jagrwatch.
Where are you located miss?
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by marek »

Boogeyman wrote:
Lesky wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I'm simply suggesting that adding Jagr into the mix here isn't necessarily going to be a good thing. At his age, with his personality, it simply may be a bad mix. It doesn't seem like the Pens have ever been overly into the idea of bringing him in. It was Jagr and his agent, with the help of their pawn Rossi, that got everything going in Pittsburgh. The Pens talked it over internally for quite a while before they finally decided to even make an offer. Shero has his own priorities. He wants to keep the guys he can keep, and I'm sure there are other guys on the market he wants to target. He's not going to alter his plans because he might be able to get a guy who possibly isn't even a good fit here.

Another thing to keep in perspective, Lemieux at the same age as Jagr is now only put up 22 points in 26 games, and that was right out of the lockout when refs were calling everything and PPs were through the roof. Lemieux, at the age Jagr was at when he left the NHL, put up huge numbers during the clutch and grab era. An older, slower Jagr who's been away from the NHL game for three years surely is going to regress from the 70 point guy he was when he left.
Henry:

I can understand if you think Jagr might not be a good mix, that is fine. But if the Pens are not just making an offer to make themselves look good to the public they must have decided Jagr would not ruin the team. And in that case Jagr should be given equal money to any other player of his talent.

For the Lemieux comparison:

Lemieux had heartproblems during his last season and had low energy because of this. I know from experience myself those problems are HELL to play with. Add that Mario looked extremly stiff out there because of his back etc. I can say for sure that Jagr is ALOT more fit and flexible that Lemieux was his last years.

I am not saying he would rock the league, but I am confident he could be a very good signing for 2-3 million.

Would you expect the Pens to lowball Lemieux if he had made a comeback? Mario you only get 1.3 million in salary - take it or leave it!

Jagr would have been top 5 in NHL scoring all time if he had not left for Russia, its not a scrub player we are talking about! The reward of signing Jagr could be extremly high
and I think its worth the risk any day! Jagr has a personal trainer and is known in russia to train more than any other player.

I see people praising Shero like he is god for lowballing Jagr, thats hilarious. Would they have done the same had we offered Gretzky 1.3 million?
How can you not appreciate Shero low balling Jagr. Dude is a boss.
really???
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

[youtube]
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[/youtube]
adambpsu
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by adambpsu »

netwolf wrote:
Doogs wrote:LOL, KDKA just had an update. It was 15 seconds long and said essentially, yesterday it looked like the Pens, today we have no clue, but as soon as we do we'll tell you. HAHAHA
Last night, they quoted Pittsburgh Eklund (I refuse to use the site's real name, but most of you can figure it out I'm sure) as a source on one of their news broadcasts. I am no longer watching KDKA news.
I saw that. It's amazing how desperate people are for info. Between that, the Rossi/Czech quotes, and some of the tweets last night, it's clear there is very much truth out there.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malksby8771 »

Lesky wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:
malksby8771 wrote:
Lesky wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I'm simply suggesting that adding Jagr into the mix here isn't necessarily going to be a good thing. At his age, with his personality, it simply may be a bad mix. It doesn't seem like the Pens have ever been overly into the idea of bringing him in. It was Jagr and his agent, with the help of their pawn Rossi, that got everything going in Pittsburgh. The Pens talked it over internally for quite a while before they finally decided to even make an offer. Shero has his own priorities. He wants to keep the guys he can keep, and I'm sure there are other guys on the market he wants to target. He's not going to alter his plans because he might be able to get a guy who possibly isn't even a good fit here.

Another thing to keep in perspective, Lemieux at the same age as Jagr is now only put up 22 points in 26 games, and that was right out of the lockout when refs were calling everything and PPs were through the roof. Lemieux, at the age Jagr was at when he left the NHL, put up huge numbers during the clutch and grab era. An older, slower Jagr who's been away from the NHL game for three years surely is going to regress from the 70 point guy he was when he left.
Henry:

I can understand if you think Jagr might not be a good mix, that is fine. But if the Pens are not just making an offer to make themselves look good to the public they must have decided Jagr would not ruin the team. And in that case Jagr should be given equal money to any other player of his talent.

For the Lemieux comparison:

Lemieux had heartproblems during his last season and had low energy because of this. I know from experience myself those problems are HELL to play with. Add that Mario looked extremly stiff out there because of his back etc. I can say for sure that Jagr is ALOT more fit and flexible that Lemieux was his last years.

I am not saying he would rock the league, but I am confident he could be a very good signing for 2-3 million.

Would you expect the Pens to lowball Lemieux if he had made a comeback? Mario you only get 1.3 million in salary - take it or leave it!

Jagr would have been top 5 in NHL scoring all time if he had not left for Russia, its not a scrub player we are talking about! The reward of signing Jagr could be extremly high
and I think its worth the risk any day!
Agreed.

Let me say this again, because it bears repeating to anyone who doubts Jagr's ability late into his 30's.

At age 36, Jagr lead the 2007-2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs in scoring after two rounds with 15 points in 10 games. Those were his last games in the NHL, and he outscored Crosby, Malkin, Hossa, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc. playing on the freaking Rangers who didn't have much scoring depth that year to be honest.
Players typically hit the wall around 38, I don't know if his ability to play in 2007 is an accurate reflection of where he is in 2011.

Teemu Selanne, Nik Lidstrom and Marc Recchi have something to say to you about that claim.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

ILikeTurtles wrote:A little over 30% of Lesky's posts are in this thread :face:
I was not partipiciating in the "HOSSA TO DET" thread, so I thought I would make things right this time around 8-)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

Kovy27 wrote:
netwolf wrote:

I believe it was Jory Rand. I don't really have a problem with the anchors, but if that's their idea of a credible source, I'm not interested in what they have to say. Maybe the news department will credit TMZ or the National Enquirer today.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

Kovy27 wrote:
netwolf wrote:

No it was the Chick opposite of Ken Rice.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by topshelf »

[youtube][/youtube]
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Has JAGR TO DET any chance of beating this thread? Or will this thread be re-named after has signed?
Last edited by Lesky on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

This thread is like a case study in group manic depression, if there is such a thing.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

NEWSFLASH!

#JagrWatch unmasked as a scam by the Big Gorilla to increase page hits on LGP. :)
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

malksby8771 wrote:
Doogs wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Flyers are NOT submitting an offer sheet to Stamkos.
Someone reminded Holmgren there IS in fact a Salary Cap and it does apply to the Flyers despite how entitled they are!!!

They could very clearly afford Stamkos. Their offer sheet of say 9M would cost them 4 first round draft picks probably all of which would be late first rounders which they can afford to lose. They would just need to cut loose guys like Jody Shelley and Matt Carle to afford the 9M cap hit. Doesn't sound too outrageous of a possibility.
They still have several big RFAs to sign. Not as easy as one might think. Possible, but not easy especially if they plan on fielding a full squad.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

Players typically hit the wall around 38, I don't know if his ability to play in 2007 is an accurate reflection of where he is in 2011.
I'm with you. And when a guy hits the wall, he hits it fast. Look at Kovalev. In three years, he went from point per game player to total scrub. Jagr didn't put up eye popping numbers in the KHL. Some of the guys who outproduced him this season: Alexander Radulov, Patrick Thoresen, Pavol Demitra, Alexei Morozov, Josef Vasicek. The year before that, some names include Alexei Yashin, Radulov, Thoresen, Marcel Hossa, Jiri Hudler, Jozef Stumpel, Morozov, Vasicek, Jan Bulis.

Jagr was a 70 point player in his last NHL season before that. There's little reason to believe he'd still be a great player in the NHL. Decent, probably, but decent may not be good enough when you consider the other ramifications of bringing him here at his price. And it IS going to be about the money with him.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Everytime I'm reminded of the Flyers trading Carter and Richards I laugh hysterically.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Boogeyman »

rgpens2387 wrote:I still have a feeling Jagr, Lemieux, and Shero are sitting at Consol drinking beers, eating kit kats, and watching this thread and discussing whether to make the announcement when it reaches page 266 or 268.
I don't get why people think this? What purpose would it serve to have already committed to a team yet lead other teams in to thinking that bids can still be placed.

I think the situation is easy to read. He wants the glory of returning to the pens org, but he also wants significant compensation. He does not feel the penguins have offered him fair compensation. Svboda is posturing with other teams to go back to Ray with a general dollar amount that other teams are willing to pay. Shero either calls Jagr's bluff and Jagr caves, or Jagr goes to the highest bidder and the penguins make the playoffs next season anyway.

Shero, nor the penguins have much to lose. Jagr needs Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh doesn't need Jagr.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malksby8771 »

Henry Hank wrote:
I'm with you. And when a guy hits the wall, he hits it fast. Look at Kovalev. In three years, he went from point per game player to total scrub. Jagr didn't put up eye popping numbers in the KHL. Some of the guys who outproduced him this season: Alexander Radulov, Patrick Thoresen, Pavol Demitra, Alexei Morozov, Josef Vasicek. The year before that, some names include Alexei Yashin, Radulov, Thoresen, Marcel Hossa, Jiri Hudler, Jozef Stumpel, Morozov, Vasicek, Jan Bulis.

Jagr was a 70 point player in his last NHL season before that. There's little reason to believe he'd still be a great player in the NHL. Decent, probably, but decent may not be good enough when you consider the other ramifications of bringing him here at his price. And it IS going to be about the money with him.
If you include playoffs, he scored 86 points in 91 games. That's 0.945 ppg at 77.5 points in an 82 game season. He scored slightly above that level in the KHL over the last 3 years. You tell me how he wouldn't score 60 points in 82 games playing on the PP with crosby malkin letang etc and with malkin and neal the whole season.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

Gaucho wrote:Everytime I'm reminded of the Flyers trading Carter and Richards I laugh hysterically.
It is tough not to, but what adds to my hysteria is that Carter pouted for a few days and would not speak to his new teammates except for Nash.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

malksby8771 wrote: At age 36, Jagr lead the 2007-2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs in scoring after two rounds with 15 points in 10 games. Those were his last games in the NHL, and he outscored Crosby, Malkin, Hossa, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc. playing on the freaking Rangers who didn't have much scoring depth that year to be honest.
This is a good point. David Krejci led this year's playoffs in scoring, which I assume means he'll win the Art Ross next year, or three years from now, or something like that.

Or maybe you can't tell much from a small sample size.
Last edited by HomerPenguin on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

The Flyers aren't submitting an offer sheet to Stamkos, but something else might be coming?!? Jagr to PHI? :scared:
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malksby8771 »

HomerPenguin wrote:
malksby8771 wrote: At age 36, Jagr lead the 2007-2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs in scoring after two rounds with 15 points in 10 games. Those were his last games in the NHL, and he outscored Crosby, Malkin, Hossa, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc. playing on the freaking Rangers who didn't have much scoring depth that year to be honest.
This is a good point. David Krejci led this year's playoffs in scoring, which I assume means he'll win the Art Ross next year, or three years from now, or something like that.

Or maybe you can't tell much from a small sample size.
86 points including playoffs in 91 games that season, or 77.5 points over an 82 game season. Or 1,599 points in 1,273 points for his career. How are those sample sizes for you?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

When Chuck Norris wants to learn how to get attention he calls Jaromir Jagr
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.