Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
sprtn55
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by sprtn55 »

I know it was a joke before. But I would be ok with an hour long special on TSN or Versus to explain everything that happened and announce his decision.
winger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by winger »

sorry... what official source said we would know by 6:00... I somehow missed this in my speed reading/skimming
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Adam Graves gave all sorts of compliments to Jagr now and said that if anyone can come back at 39 and play, it's Jagr. I think he's got a mancrush.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Henry Hank wrote:I'm simply suggesting that adding Jagr into the mix here isn't necessarily going to be a good thing. At his age, with his personality, it simply may be a bad mix. It doesn't seem like the Pens have ever been overly into the idea of bringing him in. It was Jagr and his agent, with the help of their pawn Rossi, that got everything going in Pittsburgh. The Pens talked it over internally for quite a while before they finally decided to even make an offer. Shero has his own priorities. He wants to keep the guys he can keep, and I'm sure there are other guys on the market he wants to target. He's not going to alter his plans because he might be able to get a guy who possibly isn't even a good fit here.

Another thing to keep in perspective, Lemieux at the same age as Jagr is now only put up 22 points in 26 games, and that was right out of the lockout when refs were calling everything and PPs were through the roof. Lemieux, at the age Jagr was at when he left the NHL, put up huge numbers during the clutch and grab era. An older, slower Jagr who's been away from the NHL game for three years surely is going to regress from the 70 point guy he was when he left.
Henry:

I can understand if you think Jagr might not be a good mix, that is fine. But if the Pens are not just making an offer to make themselves look good to the public they must have decided Jagr would not ruin the team. And in that case Jagr should be given equal money to any other player of his talent.

For the Lemieux comparison:

Lemieux had heartproblems during his last season and had low energy because of this. I know from experience myself those problems are HELL to play with. Add that Mario looked extremly stiff out there because of his back etc. I can say for sure that Jagr is ALOT more fit and flexible that Lemieux was his last years.

I am not saying he would rock the league, but I am confident he could be a very good signing for 2-3 million.

Would you expect the Pens to lowball Lemieux if he had made a comeback? Mario you only get 1.3 million in salary - take it or leave it!

Jagr would have been top 5 in NHL scoring all time if he had not left for Russia, its not a scrub player we are talking about! The reward of signing Jagr could be extremly high
and I think its worth the risk any day! Jagr has a personal trainer and is known in russia to train more than any other player.

I see people praising Shero like he is god for lowballing Jagr, thats hilarious. Would they have done the same had we offered Gretzky 1.3 million?
Last edited by Lesky on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by topshelf »

winger wrote:sorry... what official source said we would know by 6:00... I somehow missed this in my speed reading/skimming

Svoboda, when asked when a decision would be made, said something along the lines of, "there's no guarantee we'll know by 6 p.m.".

I am sure someone took that and ran with it.
Serenity Now
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Serenity Now »

A friend who works by the Consol swears on her mother that she saw Jags walking into the Consol this afternoon... of course, women are dumb, so I have my doubts. It was probably just a homeless guy...
66 Fighters of Foo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 66 Fighters of Foo »

Alright, alright Mr. Svoboda. You win this time. Inform Mr. Jagr that I begrudgingly agree to petition the mods of letsgopens.com to change my screen name to 68 Fighters of Foo. Call Mr. Shero and tell him it's official.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malksby8771 »

Madden heard detroit offered 2.5-3M. Sounds pretty fair to me. FWIW, he's still hearing they offered 2M and doesn't believe that pip squeak Pierre McRichards and the claim of an offer of 1.3M.
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Dave's_a_Killer »

Serenity Now wrote:A friend who works by the Consol swears on her mother that she saw Jags walking into the Consol this afternoon... of course, women are dumb, so I have my doubts. It was probably just a homeless guy...
It was probably Billy Ray Cyrus.
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by the errey i breathe »

we need 8 more pages for 268, that could happen right around 6
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malksby8771 »

Lesky wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I'm simply suggesting that adding Jagr into the mix here isn't necessarily going to be a good thing. At his age, with his personality, it simply may be a bad mix. It doesn't seem like the Pens have ever been overly into the idea of bringing him in. It was Jagr and his agent, with the help of their pawn Rossi, that got everything going in Pittsburgh. The Pens talked it over internally for quite a while before they finally decided to even make an offer. Shero has his own priorities. He wants to keep the guys he can keep, and I'm sure there are other guys on the market he wants to target. He's not going to alter his plans because he might be able to get a guy who possibly isn't even a good fit here.

Another thing to keep in perspective, Lemieux at the same age as Jagr is now only put up 22 points in 26 games, and that was right out of the lockout when refs were calling everything and PPs were through the roof. Lemieux, at the age Jagr was at when he left the NHL, put up huge numbers during the clutch and grab era. An older, slower Jagr who's been away from the NHL game for three years surely is going to regress from the 70 point guy he was when he left.
Henry:

I can understand if you think Jagr might not be a good mix, that is fine. But if the Pens are not just making an offer to make themselves look good to the public they must have decided Jagr would not ruin the team. And in that case Jagr should be given equal money to any other player of his talent.

Lemieux had heartproblems during his last season and had low energy because of this. I know from experience myself those problems are HELL to play with. Add that Mario looked extremly stiff out there because of his back etc. I can say for sure that Jagr is ALOT more fit and flexible that Lemieux was his last years.

I am not saying he would rock the league, but I am confident he could be a very good signing for 2-3 million.

Would you expect the Pens to lowball Lemieux if he had made a comeback? Mario you only get 1.3 million in salary - take it or leave it!

Jagr would have been top 5 in NHL scoring all time if he had not left for Russia, its not a scrub player we are talking about! The reward of signing Jagr could be extremly high
and I think its worth the risk any day!
Agreed.

Let me say this again, because it bears repeating to anyone who doubts Jagr's ability late into his 30's.

At age 36, Jagr lead the 2007-2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs in scoring after two rounds with 15 points in 10 games. Those were his last games in the NHL, and he outscored Crosby, Malkin, Hossa, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc. playing on the freaking Rangers who didn't have much scoring depth that year to be honest.
Last edited by malksby8771 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Flyers are NOT submitting an offer sheet to Stamkos.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

is it 12:01 am ~ or 12 noon that Jaromir and others can sign?
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Boogeyman »

Lesky wrote:

Henry:

and I think its worth the risk any day! Jagr has a personal trainer and is known in russia to train more than any other player.

I see people praising Shero like he is god for lowballing Jagr, thats hilarious. Would they have done the same had we offered Gretzky 1.3 million?
How can you not appreciate Shero low balling Jagr. Dude is a boss.
PolarPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by PolarPenguin »

noon
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

IronDukes37 wrote:Just wondering, if Jagr does sign with Pens, who breaks the story? Who gets the scoop?

Molinari
Rossi
Bob McKenzie
Dreger
Pierre McGuire
Ron Cook

Who?
Brandts funeral home?
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

penny lane wrote:is it 12:01 am ~ or 12 noon that Jaromir and others can sign?
Noon
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

Doogs wrote:LOL, KDKA just had an update. It was 15 seconds long and said essentially, yesterday it looked like the Pens, today we have no clue, but as soon as we do we'll tell you. HAHAHA
Last night, they quoted Pittsburgh Eklund (I refuse to use the site's real name, but most of you can figure it out I'm sure) as a source on one of their news broadcasts. I am no longer watching KDKA news.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

Sarcastic wrote:Flyers are NOT submitting an offer sheet to Stamkos.
Someone reminded Holmgren there IS in fact a Salary Cap and it does apply to the Flyers despite how entitled they are!!!
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Boogeyman »

malksby8771 wrote:
Lesky wrote:

Henry:

Agreed.

Let me say this again, because it bears repeating to anyone who doubts Jagr's ability late into his 30's.

At age 36, Jagr lead the 2007-2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs in scoring after two rounds with 15 points in 10 games. Those were his last games in the NHL, and he outscored Crosby, Malkin, Hossa, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc. playing on the freaking Rangers who didn't have much scoring depth that year to be honest.
Players typically hit the wall around 38, I don't know if his ability to play in 2007 is an accurate reflection of where he is in 2011.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Netwolf

Welcome to the thread sir!
Last edited by Lesky on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ILikeTurtles »

Dave's_a_Killer wrote:
Serenity Now wrote:A friend who works by the Consol swears on her mother that she saw Jags walking into the Consol this afternoon... of course, women are dumb, so I have my doubts. It was probably just a homeless guy...
It was probably Billy Ray Cyrus.
Does that mean Miley is around somewhere?
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Boogeyman wrote:
malksby8771 wrote:
Lesky wrote:

Henry:

Agreed.

Players typically hit the wall around 38, I don't know if his ability to play in 2007 is an accurate reflection of where he is in 2011.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malksby8771 »

Doogs wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Flyers are NOT submitting an offer sheet to Stamkos.
Someone reminded Holmgren there IS in fact a Salary Cap and it does apply to the Flyers despite how entitled they are!!!

They could very clearly afford Stamkos. Their offer sheet of say 9M would cost them 4 first round draft picks probably all of which would be late first rounders which they can afford to lose. They would just need to cut loose guys like Jody Shelley and Matt Carle to afford the 9M cap hit. Doesn't sound too outrageous of a possibility.
Last edited by malksby8771 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Doogs wrote:
penny lane wrote:is it 12:01 am ~ or 12 noon that Jaromir and others can sign?
Noon
thanks~ I will sleep tonight, unlike Lesky...day 3 and night of the #jagrwatch.