Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by malksby8771 »

Pens4Life wrote:1.3M - 1.5M offer for Jagr!?! Thats just awful! Why would we need a 3-4M salary cap cushion!?! I think RS can offer JJ better deal. 2.5M at least!
Again, couldn't agree more...seems awfully low for a guy of his talent level.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

I agree with everything you said, but 2M is already a paycut IMO. I think other teams in the NHL could and would offer more if he hadn't expressed such openness to join the Pens. I kinda think for 2M, a guy who will no doubt score 60 points or more with us and retire as a Penguin thereby cementing his legacy here, is a more than fair offer.
Why would he no doubt score 60 points? I think a reasonable expectation for 82 games is ~50 points, and that's if he can actually hold up for an entire NHL season at his age. The Pens have plenty of experience with over the hill players. They know not to expect too much. The first mistake is that people have been assuming he's going to come here. The next mistake is assuming he's still going to be a highly productive player.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

it's not really what shero thinks he is worth, but he doesn't have much more than that to spend. I don't believe it's a lowball offer, just kind of a "this is all we can do" kinda thing.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

columbia wrote:
Three Stars wrote:Jagr "wants" to play for the Penguins. It's smart to find out exactly how much money "want" translates to. I have no problem with a low offer, which gives room to adjust if the Pens really want to.
That is how smart negotiating works.
Correct, but when Jagr and Svoboda tries to negotiate the smart way they are idiots and full of BS :thumb: :lol:
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malksby8771 »

Dejan_Kovacevic Dejan Kovacevic
@
@JoshYohe_Trib My #JagrWatch odds: #Pens 50%, #Habs 20%, KHL 15%, #RedWings 12%, lost at sea 3%. // Taken hostage by turtles, 1%
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Post by darkstar57 »

Sarcastic wrote:Ken: Discussions ongoing. Jaromir is "somewhere in the US". Sounds like he has no clue to what's going to happen, just like we here.

[youtube][/youtube]
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by the errey i breathe »

malksby8771 wrote:Dejan_Kovacevic Dejan Kovacevic
@
@JoshYohe_Trib My #JagrWatch odds: #Pens 50%, #Habs 20%, KHL 15%, #RedWings 12%, lost at sea 3%. // Taken hostage by turtles, 1%
I think he's underestimating the turtles
BeerAndPeanutsHere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BeerAndPeanutsHere »

I wouldn't care if they spent up to $3 million on Jagr for a year. Look at what we've spent on other old veterans in the past who were nowhere near the skills of Jagr. Didn't we pay 3.5 million for Miroslav Satan? Somewhere in the 2.5 million range for Petr Sykora? Billy G for ONE MORE YEAR. I really hope Mario wouldn't let Shero lowball Jagr at 1.3-1.5 million. I hope that's not true.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

YAH MEER JAHGRRRRR
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

ulf wrote:it's not really what shero thinks he is worth, but he doesn't have much more than that to spend. I don't believe it's a lowball offer, just kind of a "this is all we can do" kinda thing.
And that's exactly what Shero has said. And this comes after Jagr and his people said it's not about the money. If he really wants to be in Pittsburgh like he says and isn't coming back for the money, then he will take the offer. Hell, Jagr once said he'd play for $350,000 because he owed it to Mario. How can he be insulted by the Pens' offer if everything that comes out of his mouth suggests that they don't need to give him a big offer?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

BeerAndPeanutsHere wrote:I wouldn't care if they spent up to $3 million on Jagr for a year. Look at what we've spent on other old veterans in the past who were nowhere near the skills of Jagr. Didn't we pay 3.5 million for Miroslav Satan? Somewhere in the 2.5 million range for Petr Sykora? Billy G for ONE MORE YEAR. I really hope Mario wouldn't let Shero lowball Jagr at 1.3-1.5 million. I hope that's not true.
So the Pens are supposed to offer Jagr more because they made a bunch of mistakes in the past? That doesn't make a ton of sense.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

malksby8771 wrote:Dejan_Kovacevic Dejan Kovacevic
@
Now they are posting odds (irony)? And they got those odds from a grumpy Sbvoda jujst before saying "It's 5 pm...show some respect!!!"
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Daniel87 »

BeerAndPeanutsHere wrote:I wouldn't care if they spent up to $3 million on Jagr for a year. Look at what we've spent on other old veterans in the past who were nowhere near the skills of Jagr. Didn't we pay 3.5 million for Miroslav Satan? Somewhere in the 2.5 million range for Petr Sykora? Billy G for ONE MORE YEAR. I really hope Mario wouldn't let Shero lowball Jagr at 1.3-1.5 million. I hope that's not true.
Well there is a salary cap in place. I still think Shero could offer at least 2 though.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Post by darkstar57 »

Different situations, the Pens had no real Top 6 wingers there outside of Kunitz, now we have both Kunitz and Neal, and the line of Kunitz - Crosby and Dupius was one of the best in the leagues until the day that shall not be named happened.

Also, if the Pens sign kennedy and want to fill out the rest of their team, there isn't much money.

Use your brains people
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malksby8771 »

Henry Hank wrote:
I agree with everything you said, but 2M is already a paycut IMO. I think other teams in the NHL could and would offer more if he hadn't expressed such openness to join the Pens. I kinda think for 2M, a guy who will no doubt score 60 points or more with us and retire as a Penguin thereby cementing his legacy here, is a more than fair offer.
Why would he no doubt score 60 points? I think a reasonable expectation for 82 games is ~50 points, and that's if he can actually hold up for an entire NHL season at his age. The Pens have plenty of experience with over the hill players. They know not to expect too much. The first mistake is that people have been assuming he's going to come here. The next mistake is assuming he's still going to be a highly productive player.
Well, he would probably fit well on the right circle on the PP where he is one of the best of all time in that spot (he also plays the left circle quite well). Add Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Tangradi to the PP and you have 25-30 PPP right there for Jagr if he stays healthy. I think he will also easily get 35+ even strength points playing with a rejuvenated Malkin and Neal.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

When HE takes the ice, there's none left for anyone else, HE is... The most interesting winger in the world
BeerAndPeanutsHere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Henry Hank wrote:
I would say no doubt 60 points, assuming he is healthy and plays around 75 games. Why do I say no doubt? 1) He is Jaromir Jagr. Even at 39 years old he has more talent than most guys in the league. 2) He will be playing with either Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin, two of the best players in the world. A monkey on skates would put up 50 in a full season with one of them. 3) He will be on the #1 power play unit and rack up lots of points that way. Maybe everyone else is more pessimistic about it, but I have a feeling he could put up 80 points in a full season with the Pens this year.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

So we always complain about how full of hot air Pierre is, but now we suddenly are supposed to believe him?
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

darkstar57 wrote:
Different situations, the Pens had no real Top 6 wingers there outside of Kunitz, now we have both Kunitz and Neal, and the line of Kunitz - Crosby and Dupius was one of the best in the leagues until the day that shall not be named happened.

Also, if the Pens sign kennedy and want to fill out the rest of their team, there isn't much money.

Use your brains people
I really hope they wouldn't go higher that 2.5 mil.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by marek »

Henry Hank wrote:
BeerAndPeanutsHere wrote:1.3-1.5 million is an insult, especially when you look around and see how much money 3rd/4th line goons, below average players make. A healthy Jagr puts up 60 pts minimum. You can't get that kind of production for less than 2 million. And that's not even factoring in the idea of returning to his old team and retiring as Penguin on good terms.
It's a sign that Jagr has to come here on Shero's terms. He has to be willing to settle for less money so the Pens can sign their own players that they want to keep. They're not going to lose other guys who have been here to bring in a diva. Jagr and his agent are the ones that said it's not about the money. If they go somewhere else for an extra million or so, that's their greed and their meaningless words at work, not Shero's problem. The Pens don't need Jagr.

HH... I understand that JJ needs to work with Shero... and he did say that he'd play for "the min" - which he probably meant more as a compliment/respect to Lemieux rather than truth...

but it could be just as easily said that RS low-balling him is simply taking advantage of his having played here before, testing loyalties or in general his word.
BeerAndPeanutsHere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

pfim wrote:
So the Pens are supposed to offer Jagr more because they made a bunch of mistakes in the past? That doesn't make a ton of sense.
I wouldn't call them mistakes per se. All 3 of them were on the Stanley Cup winning team, and they all contributed at various points in the season and postseason.

But my point is that if he was willing to take a risk of 2-3.5 million on old guys who weren't even superstars in their prime and had no ties to Pittsburgh....how can he justify not taking the same risk on a guy who was a superstar in his prime and is the 2nd best player in franchise history? I think it's a valid argument.
winger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by winger »

Holland...
I felt that his tone of voice indicated it was not happening for the Red Wings. Unless he is a good actor, he sounded very disinterested in the conversation. I felt that was a sure sign that he knows its the Pens. He got all jazzed and animated when he discussed Lidstrom (just as a comparison..lol..
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by tonysoprano »

winger wrote:Holland...
I felt that his tone of voice indicated it was not happening for the Red Wings. Unless he is a good actor, he sounded very disinterested in the conversation. I felt that was a sure sign that he knows its the Pens. He got all jazzed and animated when he discussed Lidstrom (just as a comparison..lol..
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOL
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malksby8771 »

BeerAndPeanutsHere wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:
I would say no doubt 60 points, assuming he is healthy and plays around 75 games. Why do I say no doubt? 1) He is Jaromir Jagr. Even at 39 years old he has more talent than most guys in the league. 2) He will be playing with either Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin, two of the best players in the world. A monkey on skates would put up 50 in a full season with one of them. 3) He will be on the #1 power play unit and rack up lots of points that way. Maybe everyone else is more pessimistic about it, but I have a feeling he could put up 80 points in a full season with the Pens this year.
:thumb: :thumb:

One for agreeing with me, and one for doing it while talking about monkeys.
Last edited by malksby8771 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by the errey i breathe »

BeerAndPeanutsHere wrote:
pfim wrote:
I wouldn't call them mistakes per se. All 3 of them were on the Stanley Cup winning team, and they all contributed at various points in the season and postseason.

But my point is that if he was willing to take a risk of 2-3.5 million on old guys who weren't even superstars in their prime and had no ties to Pittsburgh....how can he justify not taking the same risk on a guy who was a superstar in his prime and is the 2nd best player in franchise history? I think it's a valid argument.
because if Jagr flops then you have learned nothing from those prior mistakes and really handcuff your team come trading deadline day where that extra 1MM or so could help.