George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by canaan »

eddysnake wrote:from last nights finale:
Spoiler:
I don't remember Grand Maester Pycelle faking his abilities in the book, anyone else notice that?
Spoiler:
i was talking about that with a couple of guys that are avid readers of the books and they said, after like 15 minutes of talking about it, that there is mention in the book that he almost gets caught in a position that would compromise how much he is leading on about his ailments.

it makes sense to me in the scheme of "everyone has a role to play" that the show is adamant about informing the viewer about.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

it will be interesting to see how they go forward with next season. I would think this years budget was largely spend on sets that can be reused for further seasons, so that's a plus, but

Spoiler:
it will be very interesting to see how the dragons CGI works out. Between that and the battle next year, I'd think that would take up a giant chunk. I read somewhere that a major problem for this and future seasons will be time, they don't have enough of it to get everything filmed how they originally wanted to. I guess there was much more planned for Tyrion and the battle for this season, but they had to cut it all out because of time. Martin said in an interview he plans on splitting storm of swords into 2 seasons.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

eddysnake wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote: This one is about the finale (I'll take the spoiler tags off after everyone has watched the show):
Spoiler:
The dragon's CGI work looked pretty good. I was impressed, as I hoped it wouldn't look bad.
Spoiler:
I too was impressed, that's a crazy visual of her as the camera zooms out and she's in the buff with the little dragon flapping his wings and screaming. The book felt more intense with her walking out of the flames, but I can see why they didn't do it that way. Maybe I"m wrong too, it's been a while.
Spoiler:
They'll have their work cut out for them once they get bigger though :pop:
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

First season ended with Danny in the buff! That is all you can hope for!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

Final episode = KICK ASS
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

eddysnake wrote:it will be interesting to see how they go forward with next season. I would think this years budget was largely spend on sets that can be reused for further seasons, so that's a plus, but

Spoiler:
it will be very interesting to see how the dragons CGI works out. Between that and the battle next year, I'd think that would take up a giant chunk. I read somewhere that a major problem for this and future seasons will be time, they don't have enough of it to get everything filmed how they originally wanted to. I guess there was much more planned for Tyrion and the battle for this season, but they had to cut it all out because of time. Martin said in an interview he plans on splitting storm of swords into 2 seasons.
Clash of Kings/Season 2 spoiler:
Spoiler:
I read a little of his blog (on his webpage) about how he was writing the script for the second to the last episode of next season, called Blackwater. I assume this to be the big naval battle (which was well written, with a first hand account from Ser Davos). He cursed the original author for writing something so elaborate and expensive to film. :lol: So I'm not sure if it will be split into two parts, or happens out of sequence.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

I just hope that this series doesn't ruin GRRM's writing into only writing things that are easily filmable in the future. The entire reason GRRM sat down to write fantasy was because he was fed up with with writing TV shows and being forced into typical TV tropes like making things easier to film and not killing off main characters lol.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Up through the "golden crown" now in the book. One thing that I have noticed that is missing from the Danerys/Drogo storyline in the show...

Minor book spoiler
Spoiler:
lots of very public sex :lol:
I am starting to notice more changes from the book the farther into it I go. I don't necessarily think that any of them were bad decisions or affected the story, but they are more noticeable.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I'm slowly getting through the 4th book. I couldn't put down the first 3, I don't know if its from taking a break from reading the first 3 before I jumped into the 4th, but it's just not flowing like the others. I really don't care for the Greyjoy storyline.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

http://www.gameofthronesofmuppets.com/G ... /Home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

eddysnake wrote:I'm slowly getting through the 4th book. I couldn't put down the first 3, I don't know if its from taking a break from reading the first 3 before I jumped into the 4th, but it's just not flowing like the others. I really don't care for the Greyjoy storyline.
That's exactly what happened to me. It doesn't help that half the characters aren't in the book. I miss arya and jon.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Yeah 4th book is by far the worst. GRRM goes FULL OUT Robert Jordan in that book. Hopefully he took the criticism to heart for book 5 coming out in a couple of weeks.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I'm 200 pages into Book 3.

Storm of Swords spoiler
Spoiler:
I can't wait to see how HBO does the mammoths and giants. Nevermind the guy who rides a bear into battle, lol.
A word about eunuchs. We know that Varys is a eunuch; that is publicly known throughout Westeros. However, there are several episodes throughout the series where main characters recognize unknown eunuchs by sight. Assuming they are fully clothed, how would someone realize that someone else is a eunuch?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Just about finished with Game of Thrones now... stopped reading right where the 9th episode ends.

One thing that I noticed both while watching the show and reading the book... I find myself much more intrigued with the Danerys and North storylines than a lot of what appears to be the "main" storyline with the Starks and Lannisters.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

the wicked child wrote:Just about finished with Game of Thrones now... stopped reading right where the 9th episode ends.

One thing that I noticed both while watching the show and reading the book... I find myself much more intrigued with the Danerys and North storylines than a lot of what appears to be the "main" storyline with the Starks and Lannisters.
Keep reading.....
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Ok, I finally finished watching the show, and all I can say is :shock:

I started reading the first book while watching the show, and after watching the finale, I HAVE to read the next book. I just don't think I can wait until spring to see season 2.
Spoiler:
I don't think I've ever been as upset over a character dying in a show as I was with Ned. I'm gonna miss watching Sean Bean's portrayal of Ned Stark because I'm a big fan of Sean Bean.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Finished Game of Thrones. :thumb:

Someone mentioned that they thought the book ending was better than the show... but honestly, I didn't really notice anything drastically different in the book, save for a few details of the pyre.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

This dude did video reviews of each episode of Game of Thrones. For those of us who’d read the books and were waiting for reactions to what happened at the end of Episode 9, this review is totally sweet. Warning: the frustrated, angry ranting in this video contains naughty language. NSFW.
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by blurryhaze312 »

Umm...what did he expect HBO to do, write Stark back into the series? :lol:
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

blurryhaze312 wrote:Umm...what did he expect HBO to do, write Stark back into the series? :lol:
Dunno, but oooooohh, he mad about it. :lol:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Reading Clash of Kings now. Is it bad that after I finished reading the prologue, I could hear the theme song from the show in my head?
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

A very big chunk of A Dance of Dragons will be Jon, Tyrion and Danerys chapters.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Now starting Feast for Crows...

I really think that Martin could start a series just on the Night's Watch. I really find that storyline to be really interesting.

Huge, huge, huge Storm of Swords spoiler:
Spoiler:
I almost threw the book out the window after reading the Red Wedding. Totally did not see that coming, although I should have. I've never read a book where so many protagonists (or even sympathetic) characters die...but I picked the book right up and kept reading.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Now starting Feast for Crows...

I really think that Martin could start a series just on the Night's Watch. I really find that storyline to be really interesting.

Huge, huge, huge Storm of Swords spoiler:
Spoiler:
I almost threw the book out the window after reading the Red Wedding. Totally did not see that coming, although I should have. I've never read a book where so many protagonists (or even sympathetic) characters die...but I picked the book right up and kept reading.
Funny you say that.
Spoiler:
There is no nights watch, jon, dany or basically anything north of kings landing in feast for crows.
Last edited by PensFanInDC on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.